Nvidia control panel settings won't stay

Incramus

Limp Gawd
I'm having a problem where my desktop colors settings won't save on the Nvidia control panel, if I launch a game it will revert to the default settings (a dull looking display) instead of a nice vibrant and colorful display & If I use 3 monitors then I have one with "nice" colors etc and 2 with washed out graphics. I've tried multiple games and it happens for each of them, it even reverts to default after restarting my computer.

The funny thing is that under the control panel my settings options are right where I left them just not being applied, But if I nudge the Digital vibrance slider just a hair then I'll get my settings back.

Things I have tried:

Display Driver Uninstaller
Newest driver
Older driver
older, older driver
Making sure I ran Nvidia control panel as admin.

Any other ideas?

I would just use sweetfx for the games your looking to play

When did it first start doing this? Can you think of anything else that might have changed, such as Windows security settings, new hardware, etc.? Any software running in the background that might be overriding your graphics settings or preventing them from being applied? Also do you have GeForce Experience installed?

When did it first start doing this? Can you think of anything else that might have changed, such as Windows security settings, new hardware, etc.? Any software running in the background that might be overriding your graphics settings or preventing them from being applied? Also do you have GeForce Experience installed?

Started right after I installed the 980. No windows changes, no other software running. GeForce Experience is installed.

I googled the problem and found out its pretty common with not much of a fix.

Well, I've had this problem with color calibration with nvidia drivers since ... crysis 1 with both my laptop and desktop and it's been like that since. I also notice the same thing happens with games powered by source engine.
3rd party softwares don't help either, they either make the game too dark or too bright the color looks washed out.

I thought I read somewhere that games can tell Windows to remove all color calibration corrections. Maybe this is what is happening?

For example, if you used a colorimeter to apply changes to the LUT to get accurate color, those changes will be ignored once you launch a game.

I think there are problems with the latest drivers I complained NVidias site like a year ago with the same problem. Windows 8 would load the default settings before the NVidia drivers had a chance. That is what Manuel told us on the Forums a year ago. I had this problem with certain games setting the desktop settings back to default. try rolling back the drivers to one or two sets back.

GURU 3-D driver sweeper might work too

I have similar problems nvida remembering settings in control panel
after reboot ,only in win 8.1
not seven

Last edited:
I can attest to this as well, I've had this issue for several of the past drivers up to the latest ones in windows 8.1.

For an example if you go to manage 3D settings and try and change the power management mode from adaptive to prefer maximum performance apply and then close the panel as soon as you open up the graphics control panel again the setting will have reverted back to adaptive.

Try Manuel rep at the official nVidia forums.

Thanks for the tip, I've messaged him and am waiting to hear back.

I've also put in more time found out A) If I use the Nvidia control panel and drop my Refresh rate down from 60Hz down to 50Hz it improves things a little bit... B) if I use the HDMI port instead of my display-port on my monitor it also "helps" improve things but is still just band-aid and not a true fix. So I'm guessing its an HDMI/Display-port driver issue on Nvidia's end.

Use this. There is a program with that will report the gamma curves in the GPU - just to verify if your custom curves are currently loaded.

Remember with Windows, it doesn't correct everything.

Thanks for the tip, I've messaged him and am waiting to hear back.

I've also put in more time found out A) If I use the Nvidia control panel and drop my Refresh rate down from 60Hz down to 50Hz it improves things a little bit... B) if I use the HDMI port instead of my display-port on my monitor it also "helps" improve things but is still just band-aid and not a true fix. So I'm guessing its an HDMI/Display-port driver issue on Nvidia's end.

PMed Manuel on 01/02/2015 still waiting on a reply...

Back