Nvidia control panel - Power management mode

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Hey there. Back on team green due to my needs for VR and happy with my RTX2080 so far.
I have gotten a nice OC on my Asus ROG Strix. After running a bunch a benches and playing with RAM vs. Core OC I settled on a solid setting. I then decided to check out the Nvidia control panel and adjust the often recommended -Power management mode- From the stock "adaptive" to " "prefer maximum performance".
Upon further benching I immediately notice that the core clock was lower and would continue to drop. Now my power target is maxed at %124, and I have left the mV at stock. Returning the setting to "adaptive" and my clocks went right back up.
I noticed a similar effect in that when I pushed my core beyond a certain point, the card accepts it, but my benches will show a drop in min-fps, and a stagnation in max-fsp.
What is "prefer maximum performance" doing that it does not add performance but in my case, instant throttling?

Exact same thing on my RTX2070 so I run Adaptive globally.

Prefer maximum performance should only be used for specific games and applications that are not pushing the hardware to its potential (especially older games). Adaptive should be used globally and Prefer maximum performance should only be set for individual programs.

If you want max clock all the time then try using KBOOST in EVGA Precision. I don't know if there is an equivalent setting in Afterburner.

The behavior you're experiencing is just due to the quirks of GPU Boost 3.0. The best way to hold clock speed and performance is to keep the temperature at or below room temperature (which you're not going to achieve without an exotic cooling solution).

Back