Nvidia Confirms 8x.xx Driver Dual-Core Problem

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
For those of you who have had to revert to the 78.03 series drivers to keep your system from hardlocking when playing certain video games, the solution is coming soon.

I recently sent nvidia word of my problem and a forum topic. I got a response saying that the problem arises from a conflict with nvidia's driver multithreading when combined with certain game multithreading. The rep also said that the next driver release will included updated multithreading support and will enable you to completely turn off multitheading.

Good goin nvidia.

Thank God, and I hope these come out soon, because my Q4 performance has been assssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. =(

good work OP.

i wonder when will the new driver come out? till then iam reverting to the older ones.

thanks again.

chronic9 said:
good work OP.

i wonder when will the new driver come out? till then iam reverting to the older ones.

thanks again.

I'm 99% sure they will be out in the first week of March, coinciding with the release of the 7900 cards (new drivers to add support).

maybe this is why every version of nvidia dual core optimized drivers make counter strike source take a dump on my system. the only driver version that works is 77.77

i didn't know this. now it explains why my computer randomly crashes in cs:s. thanks for the heads up, OP.

beanman101283 said:
Does this problem occur only when you have a dual core CPU or also with single core?

I'm not entirely sure on this, but it seems most of the reports come from people with dual-cores.

i dont have dual core either. and i dont over clock AT ALL.
so......

Does this affect 2 physical cpus ?

Can you temoprarily fix this by setting the affinity of the game to a single cpu?

Rob

i have a dual core and have tried the affinity thing but still i get lockups with cs:s running anything after 77.77 forceware.

Robstar said:
Does this affect 2 physical cpus ?

Can you temoprarily fix this by setting the affinity of the game to a single cpu?

Rob

I would assume 2 physical cpus would have the same problem, seeing as how the software and drivers, not the hardware is the main problem.

i upgraded to the newest ones on the nvidia site , from the 77.77 an its been perfectly smooth for me ... the 78/79 forceware was givin me lock ups in cs after like 30 mins of play , these seem to work perfect system in sig

serbiaNem said:
I would assume 2 physical cpus would have the same problem, seeing as how the software and drivers, not the hardware is the main problem.

I haven't had any lockups, but I'm mostly playing Doom3 (Yeah I'm behind)

Rob

serbiaNem said:
For those of you who have had to revert to the 78.03 series drivers to keep your system from hardlocking when playing certain video games, the solution is coming soon.

I recently sent nvidia word of my problem and a forum topic. I got a response saying that the problem arises from a conflict with nvidia's driver multithreading when combined with certain game multithreading. The rep also said that the next driver release will included updated multithreading support and will enable you to completely turn off multitheading.

Good goin nvidia.

So there "fix" is to just disable the multithreading capabilities?

metallicafan said:
So there "fix" is to just disable the multithreading capabilities?

Either this or they did something, not entirely sure. But he did say there were new optimizations with the new drivers, so maybe fixed.

And it seems to be mostly DX games (not 100%), so Doom 3 wouldn't be in trouble, and setting cpu affinity makes no difference.

Well I guess this saves me $400 and a few wasted weeks. I was within an inch of sending this opteron 170 back for a full refund thinking it was defective. Has anyone tried the 82.90 drivers? THey add support for the 7900 though I haven't read anything about disabling multithreading. My guess is that Nvidias multithreading optimization fix is to disable multithreading all together. (Aren't you glad you bought your dual core for gaming tasks?)

(fortunatly for me gaming isn't top priority anymore...)

I have a question though. It seem people have lock ups in games that use Direct3D. Is there a diference depending on which direct X enhancements are used. For instance I was running fine on the 80 series drivers running FEAR and COD2 (running DX9 mode). The BSOD I got were from WoW. WoW is based on the Warcraft 3 engine which is not DX9.

Even if it might of used the warcraft 3 engine dosn't mean they couldn' t have altered and enhanced the engine to use direct x 9 or anything like that. Remember Unreal engine has been around for how many years now?

does anyone know how to get the 7x.xx drivers to work on the 7800GTX 512?

edit:

I guess if you modify the .inf file on 7x.xx series drivers you're limited to normal 7800GTX speeds. So I'm pretty much stuck without any solution to fix the stability issues.

oh so that's why BF2 is unstable. playable but yeah CTD and even a hardlock here and there but nothing too crazy and it runs smooth 90% of the time. I did switch from 81.98 to 83.90 and got better performance but still a bit off yeah.

So is this for just Dual Core processors, or will it take some advantage of Hyper-Threading?

This explains the random CS:S freeze. Yay nVidia :( Ah well, at least it doesn't crash my system, only the game.

I've forwarded this thread to nVidia. So far, they're surprised by it, and requesting more info.

aggressor said:
This explains the random CS:S freeze. Yay nVidia :( Ah well, at least it doesn't crash my system, only the game.

This is the problem as some people have reported it either happens and freezes the system, does not happen at all or happens and crashes just the game. These are dual core users too I have seen.

aggressor said:

I think that may be more of a source engine problem than anything else.

serbiaNem said:
Thank you, finally a real insider.

I'd be happy to help with this, I have pretty good access to nVidia's driver team. I'll PM you my email address, could you forward me the response you got from nVidia so they can reference the sender?

Well, it has something to do with dual core cpus since it only started after installing my Opteron 165.

peacetilence said:
Well I guess this saves me $400 and a few wasted weeks. I was within an inch of sending this opteron 170 back for a full refund thinking it was defective. Has anyone tried the 82.90 drivers? THey add support for the 7900 though I haven't read anything about disabling multithreading. My guess is that Nvidias multithreading optimization fix is to disable multithreading all together. (Aren't you glad you bought your dual core for gaming tasks?)

(fortunatly for me gaming isn't top priority anymore...)

bwahaha @ all the people that bought X2s and dualie opterons to have "future proof" computers

I love my 3200+.. and it loves me

osalcido said:
bwahaha @ all the people that bought X2s and dualie opterons to have "future proof" computers

Wait to UT2007 comes out with multithreading and you have to upgrade :)

UT2007... Im guessing that means itll be out in 12 months minimum

dont worry, i'll be upgrading by then... and my socket AM2 and DDR2 will surely beat your oced 4400 :)

edit: or an intel 25nm cpu :eek:

Source seems to be fully stable for me, then again I only play CS:S for 20-30 minute intervals.. The one game that's giving me issues is rome total war barbarian invasion and the nv4_disp BSOD seems to happen during the least stressful part of the game, on the capaign map. As other have said my system was fully stable before I switch to dual core. Nothing else in the PC has changed. My pc also passes every stress test I throw at it.

Over on that Nvidia thread the nvidia admin person denies there is any problem. I think a lot of hardware fault issues are being thrown in together with this issue as well. I've pretty much isolated the fact that hardware is NOT at fault so that doesn't leave to many other options aside from faulty drivers. Especially when people say switching to 7x.xx cured it for them (something I can't do with my 7800GTX 512...

osalcido said:

Well for binaries. minimal gaming plus watching movies etc all at the same time I would never got back to a single core. Thats why I said good think my pc isn't %100 dedicated to gaming

Back