Nvidia CEO sold shares before GTX 590 launch

Well he has been selling alot of stock lately... not sure if that's a good sign or not...

Would it have been considered insider trading if he sold stock after the 590 came out and nVidias shares went up?
Or maybe for people that have stocks in companies they have control over can't sell stock until a set time period after a new product is released

What does that mean, I wonder?

Looks like it means nothing...he has been selling about the same time every month for the last 3 months...

Sell: President and CEO Jen Hsun Huang sold 141,309 shares of NVDA stock on 02/16/2011 at the average price of 23.12. Jen Hsun Huang owns at least 21,117,380 shares after this. The price of the stock has decreased by 23.79% since.
Sell: President and CEO Jen Hsun Huang sold 131,509 shares of NVDA stock on 01/21/2011 at the average price of 22.33. Jen Hsun Huang owns at least 21,117,380 shares after this. The price of the stock has decreased by 21.09% since.
Sell: President and CEO Jen Hsun Huang sold 699,927 shares of NVDA stock on 12/08/2010 at the average price of 15.1. Jen Hsun Huang owns at least 21,117,380 shares after this. The price of the stock has increased by 16.69% since.

Looks like it means nothing...he has been selling about the same time every month for the last 3 months...

Looks like he knows something is going to happen to Nvidia.

He's selling stocks even if per stock he's losing money. It's better to have sold them by now and earn some money, and not have any money at all in his own company's bleak future...

He's selling stocks even if per stock he's losing money. It's better to have sold them by now and earn some money, and not have any money at all in his own company's bleak future...

7BEFf.jpg

I am starting to see alot of them from both sides come out lately, we should have a strict policy against these guys..

Indeed "AMD this" and "nVidia that" a lot recently (more than usual). Somebody says something about the other and the bandwagon is rolling.

I am starting to see alot of them from both sides come out lately, we should have a strict policy against these guys..

Why is it trolling or fanboyism if you say something about a company? Why can't people just suck it up and either ignore it or just man up and handle it? It's a fucking business, not your sister.

Its mean just as much as THIS did.

nothing.

Ballmer wasn't selling roughly the same amount of shares once a month in a 3 month period. Huang sold shares in January, February and March. He'd most probably sell again in April. Of course those instances weren't the first time he sold shares, but it's the first time he's selling roughly the same amount of shares in a per month basis. If you want to include the almost 700k shares sold in December, he sold shares per month for the last 4 months.

Even if it's not really Nvidia's bleak future we're talking about, there's still a possible bleak future here. Looks like Huang's getting ready to step down.

Ballmer wasn't selling roughly the same amount of shares once a month in a 3 month period. Huang sold shares in January, February and March. He'd most probably sell again in April. Of course those instances weren't the first time he sold shares, but it's the first time he's selling roughly the same amount of shares in a per month basis. If you want to include the almost 700k shares sold in December, he sold shares per month for the last 4 months.

Even if it's not really Nvidia's bleak future we're talking about, there's still a possible bleak future here. Looks like Huang's getting ready to step down.

How long do you follow the stock market ? I would say for 3 minutes, just before you created this thread...

Selling shares is custom practice among ALL companies. You sell them them when it's high value and there are prospects of getting lower, Buy them when they are low, with prospects of getting higher. It's business as usual.

As for your "analysis" of NVIDIA's future, you also took about 3 minutes to do it (plus your "other" reasons from SA land). NVIDIA is very well. The GeForce business is fine, especially in the desktop (notebook they need to recoup some marketshare), Professional graphicas card (Quadro) is basically a monopoly for NVIDIA, with over 80% marketshare. The Tesla business is too (with more and more companies using GPUs for their every day tasks - especially in oil & gas prospecting and the film making industry for special effects) and Tegra is growing a lot , with many tablets and some smartphones coming out with Tegra 2 in it. Not to mention cars with a Tegra 2 chip in it.

All this coupled with the money NVIDIA is going to receive from Intel. All in all 1.5 billion in 5 or 6 years, guarantee profitability for quite a few years, even if something goes wrong in the GeForce, Quadro, Tesla or Tegra business lines

If there's anything bleak about NVIDIA's future, it won't be seen for quite a while.

LOL @ people assuming stuff without knowing shit.

Guys, use your damn brain. Anybody related to any company at the level Huang is MUST PUBLISH ITS MOVEMENTS WITH MONTHS OF ANTICIPATION.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_28302.html

So, stop talking nonsense. People like Huang makes most of his monet from shares and shares options, and selling shares is the way to make money most of the time. Also, If you looked at the quantity of shares he has, its nothing what he sells each time.

Please, stop talking BS if you don't have a clue how stock works, as if he sold shares at any time without publishing it a few months before he would end up in jail for insider trading in no time.

Guys, use your damn brain. Anybody related to any company at the level Huang is MUST PUBLISH ITS MOVEMENTS WITH MONTHS OF ANTICIPATION.
That.

The cluelessness of a few posts was making my head hurt. I guess Loose Change finished and they had nothing else to do. :p

Ya noobs lol they sell the shares to help gain financial diversification and to assist in tax planning before the end of the year. Microsoft ceo did the same thing. He sold 75 million of ms shares also to plan ahead with the taxes. That's all lol

Glad to see at least a couple people understand that when a guy as high up as a CEO wants to sell shares, he must notify everyone several months in advance. They can't simply dump a bunch of shares without notification.

And for all anyone knows, the dude simply wants to bankroll a new house or something. I've sold stocks in order to finance cars and both houses. Why can't this guy?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_28302.html

So, stop talking nonsense. People like Huang makes most of his monet from shares and shares options, and selling shares is the way to make money most of the time. Also, If you looked at the quantity of shares he has, its nothing what he sells each time.

Please, stop talking BS if you don't have a clue how stock works, as if he sold shares at any time without publishing it a few months before he would end up in jail for insider trading in no time.

This. The guy has been doing this for YEARS. He even sold shares while the stock was under 10$ a share. Ignorant people should post.

I didn't realize the stock was up so much earlier this year - from 15 to 23 in two months? That, and the fact that he has more than 21 million shares.

Or it means that his $1 per year salary isn't enough to compensate for his mortgage and bills.

Since I work in the capital markets, I can say that one of the major corporate government factors that go into developing a target stock price is the amount of stock the CEO holds. What a CEO does with shares is an important forecasting variable, as it does signal the outlook of future profit opportunities.

Any rational investor would want to be exposed, through equity appreciation, to a company with growing earnings. And that goes for the CEO too.

Last edited:
Why is it trolling or fanboyism if you say something about a company? Why can't people just suck it up and either ignore it or just man up and handle it? It's a fucking business, not your sister.

Yeah id like to know this too...Shakes Head..

Selling shares is custom practice among ALL companies. You sell them them when it's high value and there are prospects of getting lower

I thought that's what OP is pointing out. :p Not that nVidia is going under or anything.

Anybody who knew how power hungry nVidia's current chips are could come to the conclusion that they would have a hard time competing in the dual GPU segment. People inside the company have even more insight.

For all those who would like to make this more than it is:

SEC Form 4 filing

He owns over 20Million shares (roughly 23M) worth over 400M between himself and his trusts. He sold a "massive" 1M$ worth of shares which was only his paid stock options. So he's dumping stock like crazy, whole 0.25% of his holdings! Oh golly gee he must have known the 590 was going to be a disaster!

Grow up people. The OP was either ignorant, or a troll. I'm not sure why we should have tolerance for either.

1) the guy sold off less than 1/2% of his total holdings. 3.2 million bucks is a nice piece of change, but after taxes......less.....probably has tuition due for his children and his wife wanted new floors for the house.

2) the 590 was produced in miniscule quantity compared to most of nvidias products.....I don't think the guy even knows what the box looks like it comes in.

This is all just bullschizzle.:D

For all those who would like to make this more than it is:

SEC Form 4 filing

He owns over 20Million shares (roughly 23M) worth over 400M between himself and his trusts. He sold a "massive" 1M$ worth of shares which was only his paid stock options. So he's dumping stock like crazy, whole 0.25% of his holdings! Oh golly gee he must have known the 590 was going to be a disaster!

Grow up people. The OP was either ignorant, or a troll. I'm not sure why we should have tolerance for either.

I'm looking at his ownership in Thomson now and, correct, the shares he sold are a) a fraction of his total and b) not preffered shares. OP is a bit off here.

Anybody who knew how power hungry nVidia's current chips are could come to the conclusion that they would have a hard time competing in the dual GPU segment.
I think you overestimate the contribution of that tiny portion of a niche (top end cards) has on either company's sales. Both top end dual cards are in the same performance ballpark, so I don't think either one is gaining/losing much from the halo effect.

IMO nvidia's problems are caused by other things than what goes on at the top micro-niche.

Nvidia pisses me off and I refuse to buy their power mongering space heater doomed to premature failure cards, but I guess I do want them to stay in business...

Looks like standard program trading. Anyone check SEC filings for a plan or is this just someone reporting that doesn't have a clue. Executives use program trading where they sell x shares a month/ quarter or whatever. One does this just to cover expenses and to diversify a portfolio especially when subject to blackout rules.

He has sold 5% in total in a brisk (in the context of the stock market) 4 month period, regardless of price fluctuations of stock.

Dec 2010 - 699k
Jan 2011 - 130k
Feb 2011 - 137k
March 2011 - 133k

I wouldn't actually be surprised if he sells again this April. The 590 may not be the sole cause, but as someone knowledgeable with the stock market already told me, Huang most probably planned this all along as this can avoid him being accused, with reason, of insider trading. The selling per month is such a measure (instead of selling the whole 5% in just one month for example). This is of course within the context of the "Nvidia is going down" scenario, which I'm not saying would be happening now, but rather perhaps in a year or two.

I honestly think is one of the worst threads in a long time.

who cares if he sells stock....I buy and sell stock all the time. Even in the company i work for.

I honestly think is one of the worst threads in a long time.

who cares if he sells stock....I buy and sell stock all the time. Even in the company i work for.

Except he doesn't buy them, he gets them as his compensation.

Yet for most of 2010 he didn't sell anything, whereas even then the GTX 480 (released early 2010) wasn't exactly blazing the trail (hmm well actually it was "blazing" but that was not the point).

If there really was a solid reason that can be easily disclosed, shouldn't he have done so already, like what Ballmer did? If he said "I'm going to buy a new plane, so I did this, no worries right?" there wouldn't be much point for this thread, I agree. But he didn't. In the medium-term, the last two years of Nvidia, although not the doom and gloom some of you keep on saying that I am insisting on, is not exactly a favorable position to be CEO of.

I would actually not be surprised if he steps down. Maybe he knows something that we don't, but that would be all just speculation. And apparently speculation is trolling, and if not, it's stupidity. And if you don't speculate, that would be ignorance...so damned if I do, damned if I don't.

If you are an employee and you own stocks, that's just an illusion of being "one of the owners", and I'm sure you know that already. Your point wouldn't be relevant with that case.

Except he doesn't buy them, he gets them as his compensation.

Yet for most of 2010 he didn't sell anything, whereas even then the GTX 480 (released early 2010) wasn't exactly blazing the trail (hmm well actually it was "blazing" but that was not the point).

If there really was a solid reason that can be easily disclosed, shouldn't he have done so already, like what Ballmer did? If he said "I'm going to buy a new plane, so I did this, no worries right?" there wouldn't be much point for this thread, I agree. But he didn't. In the medium-term, the last two years of Nvidia, although not the doom and gloom some of you keep on saying that I am insisting on, is not exactly a favorable position to be CEO of.

I would actually not be surprised if he steps down. Maybe he knows something that we don't, but that would be all just speculation. And apparently speculation is trolling, and if not, it's stupidity. And if you don't speculate, that would be ignorance...so damned if I do, damned if I don't.

If you are an employee and you own stocks, that's just an illusion of being "one of the owners", and I'm sure you know that already. Your point wouldn't be relevant with that case.

Could be possible it setup his stocks to sell in the year 2011. If you have someone manage your stocks/bonds/retirements.

I know my invester calls me every month to update me on my funds etc.

This is why I dont see this as such a big deal.....It just timing that the 590 GTX die and he is selling stock.

Specially since he has been doing it since January. Its possible his invester told him last year to wait tell 2011 to sell stock.

just my .02c

Entropy may have a point, Huang sold 5% of his stock since Dec. 2010, in smaller increments. It will be interesting to keep an eye on his selling in the near future to see if he keeps selling.

Back