NVIDIA CEO Says It’s Crazy To Buy A GPU Without Ray Tracing In 2019, Implying GeForce RTX A Better P

"Ray tracing content just keeps coming out."

bf5 Nov 2018, Metro Feb 14, tomb rider March 2019, quake2 June 2019,
other games either are in dev or wolf youngblood doesn't have rt yet - and its garbo.

Because of all the games that have ray tracing.... And by "all" I mean virtually none?

I don't regret buying my 2070. It's a great card that was a huge upgrade over my old 290x but I didn't buy it for RTX. If I had I definitely would be regretting it. Even in the games that support it, I'd rather have it turned off than lose half my framerate.

Imagine that? CEO of NV is trying to sell top of the line NV cards. Such a shill...
No, it's just curious that he's selling cards that he's calling people crazy for buying... Basically calling half of his customers crazy. Just seems like a stupid thing to do as a CEO.. could you imagine if the CEO of Ford said your crazy if you buy a car without auto pilot (or whatever Fords version is). That would be stupid as they have customers who aren't going to pay up for it. Same for this CEO to dis his own customers to make those who spent more feel better about themselves.

Because of all the games that have ray tracing.... And by "all" I mean virtually none?

I don't regret buying my 2070. It's a great card that was a huge upgrade over my old 290x but I didn't buy it for RTX. If I had I definitely would be regretting it. Even in the games that support it, I'd rather have it turned off than lose half my framerate.
This is the feeling it get from most owners... If they would have sold the same performance at a slight discount people would have bought them anyways, ray tracing is just not a gotta have feature at this point. The cards and performance are great and pretty good with power efficiency to, but to claim it's a can't live without feature and people are "crazy" if they don't buy it... Nonsense.

Reactions: noko
like this
No, it's just curious that he's selling cards that he's calling people crazy for buying... Basically calling half of his customers crazy. Just seems like a stupid thing to do as a CEO.. could you imagine if the CEO of Ford said your crazy if you buy a car without auto pilot (or whatever Fords version is). That would be stupid as they have customers who aren't going to pay up for it. Same for this CEO to dis his own customers to make those who spent more feel better about themselves.

This, i could not have said it better, well put.

It's crazy to buy nvidia RTX.

AMD's raytracing solution will be the thing after 2020, when consoles release with AMD hardware.

Yup. Just a page out of current day politics.

You know, race-shame millions into self-loathing and then pass your approval off as forgiveness for their condition.

It isn't, because by the time you do need a Raytracing card all of Nvidia's current line-up will be too slow at it.

But I do hope that the sentiment becomes true sooner than later, hopefully by 2021.

It isn't, because by the time you do need a Raytracing card all of Nvidia's current line-up will be too slow at it.

But I do hope that the sentiment becomes true sooner than later, hopefully by 2021.
nvidia rtx will be completely obsolete. Developers aren't going to do different solution just for nvidia cards, and instead go with the AMD solution.

LOL. The developers are using DXR. Educate yourself.
AMD has a different approach that doesn't use RT cores and will be more efficient, renders any RTX card obsolete pretty much by the end of next year.

AMD has a different approach that doesn't use RT cores and will be more efficient, renders any RTX card obsolete pretty much by the end of next year.
Dxr is direct x 12 raytracing. It has nothing to do with Nvidia or AMD, it's Microsoft's spec. Nvidia and AMD will implement it how they see fit. Developers don't care if it's tensor cores, shaders or software or a separate piece of hardware. The implementation for software uses a common interface. Vulkan is implementing a similar api.

I had a 2080 ti for a week and tried ray tracing in Shadow of Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus and then like most people just turned it off and went back to enjoying proper performance. It glitched out on me in parts of Mertro Exodus making this faint strange outline and also the snow would turn brown in spots until I backed up and approached it again. In Shadow of the Tomb Raider it actually looked worse than the regular maxed shadows unless you used ultra and ultra was too demanding in some spots dropping me into the 30s at 1440p. In its current state it is an unoptimized mess as for as I am concerned. Even the videos they have shown for Control show tons of noise on some backgrounds.

I guess the CEO can't come out and just say that NVidia cut its own throat. The feature should have not been implemented until there was no performance impact and then market it accordingly.

I guess the CEO can't come out and just say that NVidia cut its own throat. The feature should have not been implemented until there was no performance impact and then market it accordingly.

no matter what there's going to be a performance impact. the reality is they either should of forked over more money to developers to convince them to go with RTX or not branded it as the sole reason to buy the cards. if you take RTX out of the picture the cards are still good and have a reason to be purchased but nvidia never wanted to talk about that, all they cared about was RTX in all their marketing crap.

not sure if serious...
I guess I will clarify that I mean something that doesn't make the frames go below 60 fps or 144 fps or whatever your screen default is.

I'm not enabling a feature that causes skips etc.

I don't believe in magic. AMD's DXR solution will be slower and use more power than Nvidia's competing cards.

The [H]ard prophet has spoken
I don't believe in magic, but I do believe that console devs will make the best with what they have (normally not on the first set of games, but the 2nd), so I think a lot of future titles will work properly (they have to on a console) within there limitations. It will probably take another year after the consoles come out to nail down what is the best method to use limited day tracing to get the most visual IQ out.

You people are just haters. They have to start some where. Sure it is useless ATM but at least Nvidia got the ball going. Ray tracing is the future.
You people? It's like 2 guys out of like 15... The rest of us are saying it's to early for most and isn't viable yet. Most agree it will be at some point, but to say your stupid if you buy a GPU without it based on current metrics is rediculous, especially when the person saying it sells those cards without RT! I have always said interesting idea, but not yet ready for mainstream. Please be realistic. I understand the CEO wants to sell his over priced cards to recoup their r&d, but that's a silly reason to call 1/2 his customers crazy.

I believe nVidia CEO is crazy for saying such a thing. I have no use for RT with the current hardware due to the performance hit and I'm certainly not going to drop resolution to run RT.

I want raw horsepower without additional 'features' that severely negatively impact performance. In a couple of generations I believe nVidia will have the horsepower available to run RT enhanced games yet as of now, I do not think it is worth the cost premium.

nvidia rtx will be completely obsolete. Developers aren't going to do different solution just for nvidia cards, and instead go with the AMD solution.
You do realize rtx is just a name for Nvidia, right? Dxr in dx12 wont be changing.

Gamescon 2019 felt like the Nvidia RTX show...so many future RTX titles announced...

So yeah, I have an RTX 2070 (which I won). I played Quake 2 with RTX and got 40fps, needless to say I was not impressed but it was shiny! Also played BF5, which runs good on RTX High, still, not all that impressive. I would not be using it had I had to buy it for the feature.

Gonna sit this gen out. Already have gtx 1080ti and was gonna buy a used rtx 2080ti today but guy told me it failed vga tests and was smoking. He only bought card in May.

Gonna sit this gen out. Already have gtx 1080ti and was gonna buy a used rtx 2080ti today but guy told me it failed vga tests and was smoking. He only bought card in May.
Next gen will be much more normal prices because of big navi

Lets hope get problems fixxed. Tired of using expensive cards with no real testing first. Talking trying cards min 6 months after card is finished.

Back