nVidia CEO makes a comment about GPU supply

_l_

[H]ard|Gawd
Jen-Hsun Huang (March 2018)

Source: Nvidia CEO: 'We're Not Anywhere Near' Meeting GPU Demand [Forbes]

"We're sold out of many of our high-end SKUs, and so it's a real challenge keeping [graphic cards] in the marketplace for games ... we have to build a whole lot more [...]," Mr. Huang said. "We've got to come closer to the demand of the market. And right now we're not anywhere near close to that and so we're just going to have to keep running."

Interesting read ...

Until Nvidia releases a new GPU, I'm finding it hard to be interested in any of their statements... And to be honest, I'm beginning to lose interest this years Nvidia GPU release too. I'm so tired of their shit.

Until Nvidia releases a new GPU, I'm finding it hard to be interested in any of their statements... And to be honest, I'm beginning to lose interest this years Nvidia GPU release too. I'm so tired of their shit.

same here. No company as large as nVidia would be unable to ramp up production. They rule the GPU market right now yet they have a shortage of DDR5 chips? I don't buy it, the timing is too timely and I'm also no longer tracking the upcoming release(s).

I'll buy a GTX 1070 Ti when a used one hits $300 ... I'm in no hurry

Nvidia can go pound sand. This entire GPU shortage, and now GPP crap. I was fixin to buy a 1080ti, but now I''m so pissed off at the whole situation. This lunacy is beyond comprehension.

Makes me not even want to build a new PC, and just go play golf, work on my car, etc.

same here. No company as large as nVidia would be unable to ramp up production. They rule the GPU market right now yet they have a shortage of DDR5 chips? I don't buy it, the timing is too timely and I'm also no longer tracking the upcoming release(s).

I'm not sure why that is so hard to believe. AMD is having a hard time manufacturing cards as well, and just look at the prices of DDR4

Nvidia can go pound sand. This entire GPU shortage, and now GPP crap. I was fixin to buy a 1080ti, but now I''m so pissed off at the whole situation. This lunacy is beyond comprehension.

Makes me not even want to build a new PC, and just go play golf, work on my car, etc.

This x1000. All this nonsense is really just making me change my life. At this point I wonder if I really want to keep gaming. And if I do, It will probably be old games that don't even need the latest and greatest.

Eh I took the money I had for a new monitor and video card during my last upgrade round and spent it all elsewhere. Not going to deal with this shit I'll upgrade later and get even better stuff.

I'm really enjoying my 8600k though

This x1000. All this nonsense is really just making me change my life. At this point I wonder if I really want to keep gaming. And if I do, It will probably be old games that don't even need the latest and greatest.

Exactly. I have no patience whatsoever for the supply issues, price ridiculousness, and politics that change in the quotidian -- and always against the consumer. I'm so utterly sick of hearing about anti-competitive programs, lack of supply due to mining, anti-consumer pricing models etc, etc.-- all things pushing me away from gaming. It's a shame, but I feel if this path continues, developers, publishers and the GPU industry are going to largely screw themselves out of a market.

I've got umpteen other things I could be spending my money on. And thanks to the recent expansion of the indie and classic PC game offerings (and dearth of quality AAA titles), I'm fine with staying on last year's high-end card.

I'm not sure why that is so hard to believe. AMD is having a hard time manufacturing cards as well, and just look at the prices of DDR4
Indeed. I was ready to build a Skylake-X system, planning it for years. Had the money ready and everything. That changed when I saw the price of DDR4. I put the money I had saved into my car instead.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
When you think about all the devices that require memory chips and the other manufacturues that are much larger than both Nvidia and AMD. Of course its going to be hard pressed to meet demands. i highly doubt this is the work of artifical shortages. With companies like Apple and Samsung eating up memory supplies, smaller companies are finding it harder and harder to pay the extra premium to get parts as easily as Apple and Samsung can.

Honestly this issue goes back many years when the low supply for these raw metrials started being looked at as a potential problem. It just so happens that Afghanistan is sitting on over a trillion dollars in raw material. Makes you wonder why other countries always seem so interested in maintaining instability in the area.

Indeed. I was ready to build a Skylake-X system, planning it for years. Had the money ready and everything. That changed when I saw the price of DDR4. I put the money I had saved into my car instead.
Lol pretty much same here. A 'modest' rig gets me by for when I occasionally game these days and current video editing levels.
If business is well I definitely will consider jumping on Zen2 and check out Navi.

Add me to the list of people that are thoroughly disgusted with the current situation. I was all ready to go on buying a new 2nd generation Ryzen system with 1070 Ti, then I saw current pricing on GPUs and RAM. I've since scaled back my plans to buying a used 970 locally, a (also used) Haswell-E platform, then promptly sacrifice a goat or three and pray I can find a decently priced 16GB quad-channel DDR4 kit somewhere.

If anything, this shortage is making me spend my money much more frugally. I suppose that's a good thing.

Add me to the list of people that are thoroughly disgusted with the current situation. I was all ready to go on buying a new 2nd generation Ryzen system with 1070 Ti, then I saw current pricing on GPUs and RAM. I've since scaled back my plans to buying a used 970 locally, a (also used) Haswell-E platform, then promptly sacrifice a goat or three and pray I can find a decently priced 16GB quad-channel DDR4 kit somewhere.

If anything, this shortage is making me spend my money much more frugally. I suppose that's a good thing.

With the impact of the Smeltdown patches, and the fact that X99 is EOL, I would never consider buying an X99 platform at this time unless you knew for sure the Mobo maker had already issued a bios update for the fixes. I guess if you were getting it dirt cheap and planning on grabbing a many core used Xeon 4-6 years from now then I could see the appeal, but with all the deals on Ryzen stuff there is no way I would consider X99 at this time. You can grab a 1700/x and decent X370 Mobo dirt cheap on eBay.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Jen-Hsun Huang (March 2018)

Source: Nvidia CEO: 'We're Not Anywhere Near' Meeting GPU Demand [Forbes]

"We're sold out of many of our high-end SKUs, and so it's a real challenge keeping [graphic cards] in the marketplace for games ... we have to build a whole lot more [...]," Mr. Huang said. "We've got to come closer to the demand of the market. And right now we're not anywhere near close to that and so we're just going to have to keep running."

Interesting read ...

Yes interesting read but just 'BS' NVidia is at the top of the market so ramp up production wouldn't be the problem for them, IMHO maybe they are waiting for AMD Vega GPU 7nm architecture 2018 before they strike back with GTX1180 released in the September/October timeframe

Exactly. I have no patience whatsoever for the supply issues, price ridiculousness, and politics that change in the quotidian -- and always against the consumer. I'm so utterly sick of hearing about anti-competitive programs, lack of supply due to mining, anti-consumer pricing models etc, etc.-- all things pushing me away from gaming. It's a shame, but I feel if this path continues, developers, publishers and the GPU industry are going to largely screw themselves out of a market.

I've got umpteen other things I could be spending my money on. And thanks to the recent expansion of the indie and classic PC game offerings (and dearth of quality AAA titles), I'm fine with staying on last year's high-end card.

Not that I don't understand where you're coming from, but "last year's high-end card" is a waaaay better setup than a huge portion of the gaming market, especially since 1080p is the most common resolution. I find it hard to believe that not upgrading from a 1080ti is somehow "pushing you away from gaming" in any respect.

Hell, I gave my ancient 580's to a buddy and he calls the rig a beast, happily plays Fortnite and various other games just fine. I put my old 780ti into a secondary rig for my living room and for 1080p @ 60 Hz it's fantastic. I grabbed a 1080 awhile back for 144 Hz gaming but other than that I feel no real push to upgrade either.

If you sold some of those tinfoil hats, you could probably afford spending a little more :)

If you sold some of those tinfoil hats, you could probably afford spending a little more :)
At this point I treat these posts like those in support of flat earth bullshit, ignore it and save yourself the aneurysm

No problem, I got a PS4 Pro. I'll be playing Yakuza 6 and Horizon Zero Dawn at 30 fps in the meantime.

giphy.gif

You make it sound like it's unplayable.

Not even going to bother with upgrading my computer at all. First time I have just stopped all upgrades.

Instead, I am putting money into my garage and take up other hobbies.

With the impact of the Smeltdown patches, and the fact that X99 is EOL, I would never consider buying an X99 platform at this time unless you knew for sure the Mobo maker had already issued a bios update for the fixes. I guess if you were getting it dirt cheap and planning on grabbing a many core used Xeon 4-6 years from now then I could see the appeal, but with all the deals on Ryzen stuff there is no way I would consider X99 at this time. You can grab a 1700/x and decent X370 Mobo dirt cheap on eBay.

If you are sticking with Windows 7 (as many are) then Ryzen is out of the question. I am in that boat as well.

Yeah, you say that now, but when the shit hits the fan (and it will,...the voice in my head said so), you will be clamoring for the protection of those hats.

Last edited:
Is it Nvidia BS, probably......but the electronics supply market is a disaster right now.

Shortages on everything seems like. Even commodity parts like FETs, Resistors, Ceramic caps, Diodes are doubling/tripling in lead time. Just had a gate driver go from 8 weeks to 48 weeks overnight.

GPUs are cheaper than they have ever been but you absolutely must mine on them to take advantage of the lower total cost of ownership.

Yeah, you say that now, but when the shit hits the fan (and it will,...the voice in my head said so), you will be clamoring for the protection of those hats.

:) Lol I survived the Pentium 4 days and Rambus, I'll be fine with a 3 year old gpu for another 2 years :) It's still faster than 97% of the world.

Soo, he is basically telling us “fuk you, idiot gamers, you will accept ass rape if you want to purchase our stupidly priced video cards”. As we are deliberatly limiting supply to keep prices high.

I use to be nvidia all the way, but lately they seem to think their shit dont stink.

Is wishing a plane to fly into nvidia hq a bad thing ?

Soo, he is basically telling us “fuk you, idiot gamers, you will accept ass rape if you want to purchase our stupidly priced video cards”. As we are deliberatly limiting supply to keep prices high.

I use to be nvidia all the way, but lately they seem to think their shit dont stink.

So you’ll be gaming using IGP then? Have you looked into AMDs supply? They aren’t exactly keeping the shelves stocked with video cards either.

So you’ll be gaming using IGP then? Have you looked into AMDs supply? They aren’t exactly keeping the shelves stocked with video cards either.

Nope, I am intelligent.

I game on an ipad.

How the hell did you get this? Your post man...really.

It's like because a company has billions of dollars, some of you think that they can magically make things happen. Even if they were sitting on a stock of Ram, etc...why should they spend their finite resources using material to build for a market that's already past, and not towards their future products?. They released a product, and it's sold well, and the company is saying the market is still there and asking for more. Now they are in that tough position of either building a shit ton more of an older product, or play their cards and hold some of their stock of parts for a newer product. I don't get why people are in a tizzy about this. It's their position as a company to do what they want.

For the people who want a over saturated market, you guys should check out all the old car stock stuff..it's pretty f'ed up what over production does.

When nvidia 1080 ti’s are selling for £1000, I have every right to say fuck you nvidia, especially when what they are selling is 2+ years old.

Thats $1400, so we are clear.

Do you think a 1400 bux video card that is running on tech from what, 3 years ago is worth it ?

Personally I dont and I think nvidia are taking advantage of us because they know they will sell quickly to miners, so artificially keeping the prices high is in nvidias best interest, but not in our interests.

So much for being loyal to their gaming customers.

When nvidia 1080 ti’s are selling for £1000, I have every right to say fuck you nvidia, especially when what they are selling is 2+ years old.

Thats $1400, so we are clear.

Do you think a 1400 bux video card that is running on tech from what, 3 years ago is worth it ?

Personally I dont and I think nvidia are taking advantage of us because they know they will sell quickly to miners, so artificially keeping the prices high is in nvidias best interest, but not in our interests.

So much for being loyal to their gaming customers.

you are really somekind of retarded person, right? you know that neither Nvidia or AMD gain anything from the inflated prices? are gains are straight to the etailer/retailer.. nothing above the MSRP goes to AMD or Nvidia lol, Nvidia sells their GPUS are MSRP directly in the official website. one of the reasons why they don't push a new gen yet is not because they are making any extra profit from miners, it is due first to high prices of vRAM modules due shortages, (which will probably be probably easier in the first batch because probably are GDDR6), second shortages of GPUs, having a new gen of GPUS will mean A LOT, A LOT of miners will be wanting to buy it and then we will have a market flooded of used GTX 1060 - GTX 1080Ti GPUs, we saw this scenario two times already with AMD R9 290 series and with AMD Fury Series, those launch were horrible due mining, so they are probably waiting to the mining thing to settle a bit down..

you are really somekind of retarded person, right? you know that neither Nvidia or AMD gain anything from the inflated prices? are gains are straight to the etailer/retailer.. nothing above the MSRP goes to AMD or Nvidia lol, Nvidia sells their GPUS are MSRP directly in the official website. one of the reasons why they don't push a new gen yet is not because they are making any extra profit from miners, it is due first to high prices of vRAM modules due shortages, (which will probably be probably easier in the first batch because probably are GDDR6), second shortages of GPUs, having a new gen of GPUS will mean A LOT, A LOT of miners will be wanting to buy it and then we will have a market flooded of used GTX 1060 - GTX 1080Ti GPUs, we saw this scenario two times already with AMD R9 290 series and with AMD Fury Series, those launch were horrible due mining, so they are probably waiting to the mining thing to settle a bit down..

Yup, I fully agree, I am retarded.

Even got the certificate to prove it.

:)

The most ignored post in this entire thread.

Also, TSMC isn't only manufacturing GPUs, they are manufacturing Smartphone chips as well, which is a MUCH bigger volume than GPUs are.

I don't give two shits about nvidia's sourcing issues for current gen GPUs. What I DO give a shit about is the big gap between high end GPU releases, which I firmly believe is because of greed and a lack of competition. I started purchasing "enthusiast" level GPUs (80 series) when the 400 series came out in 2010, so I'm relatively new to the game... But since then, this is the biggest gap between high end GPUs I've experienced. Let's look at the release dates on all x80 series GPUs going back to the 480 for example.

GTX 480 - Released 3.26.2010

7 Months

GTX 580 - Released 11.9.2010

17 Months

GTX 680 - Released 3.22.2012

14 Months

GTX 780 - Released 5.23.2013

16 Months

GTX 980 - Released 9.18.2014

20 Months

GTX 1080 - Released 5.27.2016

23 Months

Today's Date - 4.25.2018

That's what I care about. We've now been waiting for a new high-end Nvidia GPU release for 23 months. Longer than any point in at least the last decade.

If you take the Ti and x90 series into account... You get the same thing.

7 Months

5 Months

GTX 590 - Released 3.24.2011

12 Months

1 Month

GTX 690 - Released 5.3.2012

13 Months

5 Months

GTX 780 Ti - Released 10.28.2013

11 Months

8 Months

GTX 980Ti - 6.2.2015

12 Months

GTX 1080 - 5.27.2016

9 Months

GTX 1080 Ti - 3.10.2017

14 Months

Today's Date - 4.25.2018

Last edited:
Looks like everyone is doing the same.

DDR4 and VC priced so high I am not going to upgrade this year. 4690K, 16GB DDR3 GTX 970 are still playing games fine at 1080p.

Ill wait until next year, and thats if prices come down to normal. If not, my 2005 LX Sport could use some attention.

I don't give two shits about nvidia's sourcing issues for current gen GPUs. What I DO give a shit about is the big gap between high end GPU releases, which I firmly believe is because of greed and a lack of competition. I started purchasing "enthusiast" level GPUs (80 series) when the 400 series came out in 2010, so I'm relatively new to the game... But since then, this is the biggest gap between high end GPUs I've experienced. Let's look at the release dates on all x80 series GPUs going back to the 480 for example.

7 Months

17 Months

14 Months

16 Months

20 Months

GTX 1080 - Released 5.27.2016

23 Months

Today's Date - 4.25.2018

That's what I care about. We've now been waiting for a new high-end Nvidia GPU release for 23 months. Longer than any point in at least the last decade.

If you take the Ti and x90 series into account... You get the same thing.

7 Months

5 Months

GTX 590 - Released 3.24.2011

12 Months

1 Month

GTX 690 - Released 5.3.2012

13 Months

5 Months

GTX 780 Ti - Released 10.28.2013

11 Months

8 Months

GTX 980Ti - 6.2.2015

12 Months

GTX 1080 - 5.27.2016

9 Months

GTX 1080 Ti - 3.10.2017

14 Months

Today's Date - 4.25.2018

We're getting to the point that you can only make things so small. When you have gates less than 50 atoms across and billions of gates per a chip it gets a bit harder to keep improving and releasing new cards at the same rate...

Actually think of the engineering miracle you're able to buy for a few hundred bucks. It's incredible.

Thats $1400, so we are clear. So much for being loyal to their gaming customers.

It's not £1,000 in the UK now only if you buy it from third party sellers. And it's not all NVidia fault blame the miners for buying in bulk.

April last year I paid just £788.21 for my GTX 1080TI xtreme edition but I got a full refund because of a fault, so this year I paid £902.31 in the UK on Monday 2018 for the same graphic card, that's $1,258.28 the prices is dropping slowly. I could have got it for £892.00 but sold out, so this year I only had to pay £114.10 extra not bad really, Also I didn't want to wait another five - six months for the new GTX that will come out in September - October 2018

Last edited:
last year I paid just £788.21 for my GTX 1080TI xtreme edition but I got a full refund because of a fault, so this year I paid £902.31 in the UK for the same graphic card, that's $1,258.28 the prices is dropping slowly. I could have got it for £892.00 but sold out, so this year I only had to pay £114.10 extra not bad really. Also I didn't want to wait another five months for the new GTX that will come out in September - October 2018

Still a fuked up price when you think about it, £902 from scan ? As I saw some cards on there earlier tonight. for years top of the line video cards ranged from 4-600ish, and then came titan.

It’s not that I cant afford them. its that I refuse to give them £1000 for a vid card. I have played this game for years and I just refuse to play it at these prices, probably because I do not game as much, but even if I did, I would rather spend £1000 on crack, atleast that way my balls will tingle.

Wow,

Manufacturing is extremely complicated business. Ramping production is hard AF. You have to hire people, train them, fire the bad ones, hire replacements, train them.
Yell at your suppliers and try to make it their fault they cant make material appear out of their ass and supply you with double what you gave them a blanket order for 6 months ago to hold their production for you. THen call their competitor, and listen to him laugh at you while you plead your case. Then one of your new hires cuts his thumb off on a pencil, and your like, how the AF... Then you get sued by his family, and your workers hold a walk out to support him and his family because your company was so neglegent allowing people to use pencils without guards.

Wow,

Manufacturing is extremely complicated business. Ramping production is hard AF. You have to hire people, train them, fire the bad ones, hire replacements, train them.
Yell at your suppliers and try to make it their fault they cant make material appear out of their ass and supply you with double what you gave them a blanket order for 6 months ago to hold their production for you. THen call their competitor, and listen to him laugh at you while you plead your case. Then one of your new hires cuts his thumb off on a pencil, and your like, how the AF... Then you get sued by his family, and your workers hold a walk out to support him and his family because your company was so neglegent allowing people to use pencils without guards.

bla bla bla bla ... reminds me of when I worked at HP and they kept telling me they'll "take care of me" when review time rolled around next year

Back