NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang hints at ‘exciting’ next-generation GPU update on September 20th Tuesday

Its been a over a couple of weeks since I got my 4090. I've got hours and hours worth of playing games and doing benchmarks on it and I decided to inspect the 12VHPWR connector to see if I'm affected with the issue. Apparently there's no evidence of melting in my case. I always make sure that the connector is properly seated in the socket, btw.

yzYPEOC - Imgur.png
R37OGFo - Imgur.png

For piece of mind, I put a thermistor next to the 12VHPW socket to monitor the temps via the motherboard's T-Sensor header and the highest temp I got is 51C under full GPU load for a prolonged amount of time.

9KH4jrS - Imgur.png
fikqZu9 - Imgur.png

Jay decided to stop being a vlog channel today and showed off the EVGA 4090 prototype.

I had it from a good source in late September but wasn't 100%, so it's nice to see it in the flesh.

Funny enough EVGA supposedly got as far as board samples of 4090: 2x FTW3, XC3 and had started on a Kingpin 4090.

I think there's also a subliminal communication to customers by EVGA giving JayZ (edit: and GN Steve) an ES sample - like more to it than just the CEO deciding to hook up Jay/Steve with channel bait. It seems more like "Act 2" of whatever endgame Andrew Han had in his mind when instead of just posting a press release on the website, he summoned GN Steve, JayZ and Jon Peddie to his office to announce the "breakup" with Nvidia.

I wouldn't be shocked to see EVGA re-enter GPU at some point, as to my mind the CEO left just enough wiggle room in his grand but carefully-worded breakup proclamation. If/when market conditions improve, the post-mining used GPU glut burns off, and if/when Nvidia drops their bundling requirement (AIB's required to keep taking on 30-series silicon if they wanted 40-series allocation).

EVGA seems to be doing more than just slow-fading into shutdown, there are signs of life. They quietly had a 20% staff reduction in August, and they'll probably just coast on 2021 mining-bloated GPU profits until they find a favorable opening. Vince (Kingpin) is apparently in Taiwan working on an EVGA-sponsored XOC event planned for December, though I reckon it's related to Z790 Dark KP rather than GPU.

Last edited:
Jay decided to stop being a vlog channel today and showed off the EVGA 4090 prototype.

View attachment 524990

Probably the best looking and designed 4090. Reasonably sized compared to other AIBs and the power connector at the end of the card is a much smarter design. Such a shame that this will not see the light of day in consumer hands.

Heh, right on cue. More evidence this is Andrew Han's "Act 2"
Do you think EVGA is using these tech tubers to drum up their fans to clamour for their return? Feels like it to me, since neither Jay nor Steve seem to know that they were not the only one to receive this unreleased card.

Do you think EVGA is using these tech tubers to drum up their fans to clamour for their return? Feels like it to me, since neither Jay nor Steve seem to know that they were not the only one to receive this unreleased card.
Imagine if they announce an AMD partnership for the RX 7000 release. 😍

I think it is EVGA hinting to nvidia that nvidia needs to change their ways to allow EVGA back in.

Unclear, it just seems like there's more going on than "we're never going to make GPU's again". Because for these videos to happen, Andrew had to have a purpose in mind. It was planned, effort was expended, multiple departments were involved. It had to go through legal, Steve and Jay had to sign NDA's as well as agree to return the hardware. Why do all that for .. no reason? What business purpose is served, to merely remind people EVGA is "never making GPU's again"?

Or the suggestion "maybe they want to remind people EVGA is still around and to buy their other products" -- no, because that's negative signaling. You don't convert new sales by bringing up something disappointing to a potential customer.

Last edited:
Heh, right on cue. Two videos same day suggests this was more calculated and deliberate rather than just doing a couple youtubers a favor
...or, there was an embargo on publication, and they both pressed "publish" when the clock struck zero. Industry press doing industry press things.

Unclear, it just seems like there's more going on than "we're never going to make GPU's again". Because for these videos to happen, Andrew had to have a purpose in mind. It was planned, effort was expended, multiple departments were involved. It had to go through legal, Steve and Jay had to sign NDA's as well as agree to return the hardware. Why do all that for .. no reason? What business purpose is served, to merely remind people EVGA is "never making GPU's again"?

Or the suggestion "maybe they want to remind people EVGA is still around and to buy their other products" -- no, because that's negative signaling. You don't convert new sales by bringing up something disappointing to a potential customer.
I'm not saying you are wrong but don't discount the idea people doing something just because. Maybe they just really hate nvidia and want to show what we could have had if it hadn't been for nvidia. Doesn't have to be a business reason behind it. Could be all the above, keeps their name out there, annoys nvidia, and maybe helps them out with some business.

Fans have little to do with bring the glory days back just like the Green Bay Packers this year.

Last edited:
Back