NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang hints at ‘exciting’ next-generation GPU update on September 20th Tuesday

Nvidia said that they are holding back on the 4000 units to clear out the 3000 series over stock. It will be easy to sell out every 4090 if you only release a few thousand cards.
What he said on the investor call was more nuanced, but doesn't change what I said, meaning the outcome doesn't change nor do we have control over it. They're not actually obligated to produce any specific number of new-gen GPUs for the retail market, however they do have binding contracts with TSMC which they have to balance everything against.

It's not as black and white as just "drag our feet on 40-series until we're out of 30-series". There are lots of other factors where they'd net lose by doing that. It would also increase the opening for new gen AMD GPUs if there is healthy supply, and Nvidia will modulate their 40-series output against that as well.

Last edited:
Jesus.....$1200 for a 4080.....I guess the price creep has begun. Are these even PCI-E 5.0?

Think ill wait to see what AMD has to offer since they have the new chiplet design. IF they can match the performance at half the watts....Would make Nvidia look very bad.

Patience is what I would recommend right now.

These are with DLSS 3.0 presumably?

4080bench.png

What he said on the investor call was more nuanced, but doesn't change what I said, meaning the outcome doesn't change nor do we have control over it. They're not actually obligated to produce any specific number of new GPUs for the market, however they do have binding contracts with TSMC which they have to balancing everything against.

It's not as black and white as just "drag our feet on 40-series until we're out of 30-series". There are lots of other factors where they'd net lose by doing that. It would also increase the opening for new gen AMD GPUs if there is healthy supply, and Nvidia will balance their 40-series output against that as well.

Reading between the lines it also seems Nvidia is interested in an Apple model going forward where they continue to not just sell but also manufacture the previous gen alongside the new gen (ala iPhone 12/13, now iPhone 13/14.
Well I bet they sell fewer 4000s than 3000s, at least in the first year.

Well I bet they sell fewer 4000s than 3000s, at least in the first year.
Pretty much a guarantee...Considering their is no desire to buy for crypto purposes considering Ethereum PoStake. Nvidia and AIB's were selling in bulk to miners, drove up prices, scalpers made it worse, etc. 3000 series are flooding the market second hand, at cheap prices....I wonder how much this will undercut the 4000 series. I hope it makes a dent, cause these prices are ridiculous.

I was talking about gamers. not people getting their company to help pay for it or tax right off as a business expense.
Since when anything xx90 been a good value for gamers? It's a work card advertised to extract more money from ill-advised gamers. It always has been.
Vast majority of gamers are looking for the xx70 cards and lower.

But I did say non-price sensitive people AND working professionals.

Since when anything xx90 been a good value for gamers? It's a work card advertised to extract more money from ignorant gamers. It always has been.
Exactly. The 24gb memory was huge overkill for gaming, the 90 series was targeting work/production folks.

Since when anything xx90 been a good value for gamers? It's a work card advertised to extract more money from ignorant gamers. It always has been.
Very true. Only reason to get a xx90 series if you need it for the extra vram for AI & creative workloads. Although there is always the crowd that wants the best, but not worth if you are just gaming.

I agree the xx90 has never been a good value. But the 4080 at $1200 is so bad....very bad. Power usage over 500-600w if you want to fully unlock the card.

Crazy crazy times.

Exclusive First Look! Cyberpunk 2077 with NVIDIA DLSS 3 & Ray Tracing

Nvidia is even promising benefits for CPU-bound games, which generally didn't run much faster with DLSS 2.0. For example, the notoriously CPU-heavy Microsoft Flight Simulator gets up to 2x improved performance with the new DLSS...

I agree the xx90 has never been a good value. But the 4080 at $1200 is so bad....very bad. Power usage over 500-600w if you want to fully unlock the card.

Crazy crazy times.
Yeah and a gimped 4080 is kinda lame, seems that should be the 4070.

Crazy crazy times.
16GB is unnecessary for gamers.

That's why I think, this time a round the 4090 FE is a better buy long term.
A 4080 12GB will be $1000-1100 with AIBs. 16GB AIB cards will be near 4090 FE msrp.

And we see why EVGA left NV. FE cards at msrp will be "accessible with patience" this generation.

The 3090 sales for normal consumers were a mix of a good card (overkill, but absolutely good), people stuck at home, pending major game releases, and the other 30-series cards being even more unavailable. I don't think you'll see casual buyers going that route this time. At least unless the pricing structure changes or the other cards are unavailable again. After all, if you're willing to drop $1200, another couple hundred bucks isn't the end of the world.

12 GB $900
Notice it is 192-bit card. So they are rebranding a mid-range AD104 card as "80-class" while only having a 192-bit bus and charging at least $900 for it (you know damn well the AIB models will be $1k at least).

Get bent Nvidia.

I haven't watched the video yet, are they at least doing something like Infinity Cache? Because I fail to see how anyone at high resolutions isn't going to have a problem with a 192-bit card...or hell the 256-bit card as well.

The 3090 sales for normal consumers were a mix of a good card (overkill, but absolutely good), people stuck at home, pending major game releases, and the other 30-series cards being even more unavailable. I don't think you'll see casual buyers going that route this time. At least unless the pricing structure changes or the other cards are unavailable again. After all, if you're willing to drop $1200, another couple hundred bucks isn't the end of the world.
Correct. I think $900 and below is going to be AMDs playground.
If I didn't care about RT, I would buy AMD. It's 4090 or AMD, IMO.

Let me guess, DLSS 3.0 will be locked out from working on the previous gen cards?

Yeah, RT is the only reason I don't think I'm interested in AMD. Well, that and the fact that every single AMD/ATI card except the 9800 Pro has had weird caveats that made me regret buying it :p

Doesn't hurt having it. At least the 6800xt gave me the option while not being insanely priced.
Since they had very small performance deltas between the 3080/3080 ti/3090 (and thus made everything beyond the 3080 10gb poor gaming value) they don't want to make that mistake again it seems. I think the 16gb will be nice if you keep you card for several more years.

The RTX 40 GPUs look like nice improvements, but an $899 starting price for the current lineup... ouch. You could buy a PS5 and a cheap 4K TV for the price of at least some of these cards. I'm sure NVIDIA is eager to trot out RTX 4060/4070 boards as soon as it can, but until then Lovelace is strictly for well-heeled enthusiasts.

Well considering we have next to no information about RT from AMD, and only marketing slides from Nvidia. I think the best option would be to wait for reviews.

We have no idea how well AMD will be in RT. Sure their are rumors from websites where 99% of the comments are people calling each other AMDumbs or Nvidiots.

For all we know AMD will be same performance, lower power usage and same RT performance. As of right now waiting is the best option, specially if you have to buy a new PSU.

Last edited:
Seems pretty clear to me at this point that gaming is not a priority at Nvidia - they are moving more and more towards catering to fatter-margin professional/industrial consumers.

Well considering we have next to no information about RT from AMD, and only marketing slides from Nvidia. I think the best option would be to wait for reviews.

We have no idea how well AMD will be in RT. Sure their are rumors from websites where 99% of the comments are people calling each other AMDumbs or Nvidiiots.

For all we know AMD will be same performance, lower power usage and same RT performance. As of right now waiting is the best option, specially if you have to buy a new PSU.
Wise advice.

When can you actually buy them? I didn't see that info.

October 12th for the 4090. They specifically said/listed that one. I don't think they ever said an exact date for the 4080's, but I've seen November 3rd listed on a couple sites.

If nothing else, there should be quite a few 4090 reviews popping up prior to the release of the other cards. That's when we'll really know what these things are all about.

AMD reference maybe, but not AMD AIB partners if the new cards start selling too well. We saw how wild their markups went with 6000-series.
AIB cooler designs are driving up prices.
As some one else said, we need off the shelf AIO coolers for FE cards. No more 3-4 slot tri-fan RGB monsters for $150-300 more.

4090 went up in price a bit, its power reqs that I am most concerned about. I will probably get it because I need to replace the 3090 that died a few weeks ago. Might have to go with FE this time to keep power down.

Back