NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang hints at ‘exciting’ next-generation GPU update on September 20th Tuesday

I just would've thought they would stipulate that there be something special about the 40xx series because they're more nuclear than any other generation. Like maybe they could add a polished stainless RRTX emblem that retracts if any peasant is so stupid as to attempt to touch it, or something like that.

I wanna see Jensen show Lovelace working in a bunch of medical situations and go "See! The more you buy, the more cancer you cure!" 😃👉👉

Riiight, but at some point nVidia decided to make the decision that despite AIB investment in their own brand, that investment would only be good for nVidia GPUs and none others. So that means that nVidia knows best and has to keep an eye on these silly AIBs that don't know how to do their own marketing. And I mean, clearly they don't if they're putting out a cooler with identical shape and colors(performance aside) when actual performance, actual performance increase that nVidia put so much effort into this cycle is greater than from just about any other cycle.
You been drinking? AIBs can do their own designs and often look similar to last gen regardless of the performance increase.

Riiight, but at some point nVidia decided to make the decision that despite AIB investment in their own brand, that investment would only be good for nVidia GPUs and none others. So that means that nVidia knows best and has to keep an eye on these silly AIBs that don't know how to do their own marketing. And I mean, clearly they don't if they're putting out a cooler with identical shape and colors(performance aside) when actual performance, actual performance increase that nVidia put so much effort into this cycle is greater than from just about any other cycle.

Anyone clueless enough to be looking at if they changed the cooler design to decide if a newer card is faster than an older one is stupid enough that they deserve to get scammed by a 1030 with a cooler oversided enough to keep the GPU working outdoors, at high noon in the desert, in a black tower case.

Cooler designs get upgraded for three reasons:
1) The new generation is enough hotter that they need to increase their performance.
2) r/pcUnicornVomit whines loudly enough that they need more RGB
3) They hire a new marketing/design executive who decides to make his mark by changing everything up just because.

Only 1 of those has anything to do with nVidia's actions; and even there it depends how much margin is left in the existing coolers.

Last edited:
I confess to actually checking for the existence of r/pcUnicornVomit. One can never be too sure these days...

(Admit it, you all checked too.)
Should make the subreddit with nothing but this on the page:

L2xZitUbQ3UawpdpWJ.gif

I only considered RGB for my build to act all of it together as one big Hue light of the same whatever color when doing Hue Sync at the PC (gaming or occasional watching something instead of at TV) - in whatever lower corner the PC would be in. But after looking into how I'd have to daisy chain so much software together into the Hue software, on top of non-RBG was still just cheaper where I had the option (fans, RAM), I went with my first instinct of "nah"

I don't get just sitting there looking at your computer, I look at the screen. 🤷 Also why I never considered see through case panels. Though also because I put the least amount of time into cable management. To hell with pretty, just get out of the air flow's way and let the case close please 🤞

RTX4090-GAMING2.jpg

RTX4090-GAMING-850x681.jpg

Gigabyte 4090 Flash they really want to push the 4090 cards on the consumer first.

Last edited:
Gigabyte 4090 Flash they really want to push the 4090 cards on the consumer first.

Is that surprising? Hasn't it always been this way (of recent times), but when the xx90 cards were just Titans? Or am I misremembering?

Lenovo is making cards pretty cool I mean pretty damn Hot. Never saw a Heatsink with that many copper heatpipes.

Last edited:
I was going to say that it would start to be wasteful for GPU cooling to not be more like CPU one that you reuse from a build to build, but those modern high end video card life expectancy must be over a decade now (i.e. a 1080TI will still be usable in 2026 and a 24 gig 3090 in 2030) that maybe it does not matter.

Yup Heat shortens the lifespan of the system which is what they want. I had a AMD XP3000 wiht a 6600 PNY card and that system lasted for 11 years untill I stopped using the system. This 4090 is like a frying pan no way could it last a decade unless used sparingly.

Last edited:
Is that surprising? Hasn't it always been this way (of recent times), but when the xx90 cards were just Titans? Or am I misremembering?

The last 3 generations had the Titans coming a few months after the x80 cards.

2000 series:
GeForce RTX 2080 September 20, 2018
Nvidia TITAN RTX December 18, 2018

1000 series
GeForce GTX 1080 May 27, 2016
Nvidia TITAN X August 2, 2016

900 series
GeForce GTX 980 September 18, 2014
GeForce GTX TITAN X March 17, 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#

Edit: The current generation had them roughly simultaneous:
GeForce RTX 3080 September 17, 2020
GeForce RTX 3090 September 24, 2020

Last edited:
This thread is all lies, everyone knows nVidia isn't releasing 4xxx cards this year. They got BIG PROBLEMS, too much old stock blah blah.

/s
If they go hard on the flagship models then paper launch the rest while changing the prices of the 3xxx series cards to fall in line with the price/performance of the 4xxx parts then *shrug* the parts will find a home and that's what really matters.

So, from what the new rumors sound like is that the 4090's will have a dual bios switch. One is for 450w and the other will be 600-660w!!!! It now explains these 4+ slot cards we are seeing...

Going to be interesting to see those benchmarks and power usage...ouch

xx90 cards are NOT Titans. That was a marketing gimmick, but no Titan drivers.

What they are, are the most expensive GeForce gaming cards you've ever seen (as far as an MSRP goes). You know, the ones you used to get for $500-$700.

*Rumored*

RTX 4090 FE: AD102 with 16384 CUDA cores, 24GB of GDDR6X memory and default TDP of 450W; triple-slot
RTX 4080 FE: AD103 and AD104 with 16GB and 12GB GDDR6X respectively

(Axial fans larger than Ampere FE)

1663646903336.png

Last edited:
Yeah with EVGA out it really does kinda suck nobody want a ugly card in their system they paid 1K for.

The problem I see is Discord Scalpers already salivating for the next 9 months with Nvidia cutting back on chips it's not going to be pretty.
It should be one card per Tech Website but that isn't going to happen.

can't decide if I even care at this point...
I'm right there with you. I'm excited to see what is coming, but... I bought my 3080 for 4K120 over HDMI 2.1 for my LG CX OLED, and in that regard, this card has been working flawlessly. So my "need" for a new GPU just isn't there this time.

I'm right there with you. I'm excited to see what is coming, but... I bought my 3080 for 4K120 over HDMI 2.1 for my LG CX OLED, and in that regard, this card has been working flawlessly. So my "need" for a new GPU just isn't there this time.
Im not buying an Nvidia gpu anyway (OSS support is crap). but i used to get excited about this. but when it is priced through the stratosphere, and i wont be able to buy it anyways - i ask myself "why bother?"

Back