NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang hints at ‘exciting’ next-generation GPU update on September 20th Tuesday

but if you happenstance to just be playing games that all or majority support ray tracing, it's a gimmick, or a strawman, remember ☝️

write this down people

Chicken and egg problem.

sorry, 'the chicken and the egg' is an idiom, therefore your argument is invalid 😏

Chicken and egg problem.
It always was, which is why it won't really be a thing until most of the players have caught up and there is enough market penetration, which is why one shouldn't make the decision today based heavily on raytracing (unless your really gun ho about having a limited library) but rather on all the factors. Your free to spend how you like, but people come to forums like this creeping for advice but never engaging, it does them no good to have fans pushing marketing material rather than being realistic.

Its a gimmick because the vast majority of titles do not use it, those that do only a handful do it well
Hey, it makes a huge increase in shadow quality in WoW! Instead of an oval blur, you get a well-defined shadow of your character.

We live in amazing times........soon everyone will be able to play their games at native 1440p with no scaling and Ray Tracing turned on at 40-75fps.....

tears-of-joy-gif-25.gif

Raytracing is just a marketing gimmick, was in the 2000s, 3000s, and still going forward. I said that back when the 2000s where announced, got trounced by the fanbois claiming every title will have it, here we are 4 years later and still only a handful of titles use it and the performance cost is still massive even with a 3090.

Give it another 6 years and raytracing will actually matter.

And it will be until the next generation of consoles. So around 6 years seems right. Most games won't bother doing anything substantial with it until most if not all hardware can run it. Until then we'll just see some smaller ray tracing features here and there.

Is the "exciting" part the aneurism you have when you see the price?
The exciting part is being better than everyone else, and attracting the opposite sex by being better than everyone else. And that is worth every cent. Because women are weird like that: they value you according to how you value yourself, and your GPU.

And that's fundamentally why the online nitpick threads about "Nvidia 4000 'price' and 'specs'" are so disturbing. Like we're actually seeing grown men and women mash keyboards about "power consumption" and "fan configurations" like any of it matters -- "well you see if the presumed 4080 model exceeds 475.25 Watts at peak or raytracing uplift is not in the realm of 3X then Nvidia will definitely NOT be getting my sale". Say whaaaat?

1661484787147.png

far right: [H]'s own GoldenTiger

Last edited:
I just want an RTX card to play Quake 2 RTX. Then I'm done. Maybe.

I fired that up last week for the first time. Its nice but meh, overrated. I really need to go see if there is any decent CTF games running it though.

NVIDIA CEO finally confirmed that the company is struggling with ‘excess inventory’ of GeForce RTX 30 series. The main issue is not the inventory though but pricing, especially in regions outside China or US. While we often report on price cuts on high-end models from US stores, or the Chinese market flooded with post-mining GPUs, this is not always the case in other regions.

Huang confirmed the company is working with partners to correct price position as they prepare for next-generation. But so far, there is no word on official price cuts, as one would expect 2 years since the architecture was released.
Nvidia wants to keep prices high but knows they can't unless they trick people into paying more. I'm sure somewhere in Nvidia's offices are employee's screaming ENTITLED GAMERS like they have tourettes syndrome.

sinestroentitlement.jpg

The whole thing is Gamers just stare at screens all day and Gamers expect the best which is what Nvidia is up against the 200.00 cards from 2005 are long gone. So this is what we have today expensive cards that was cranked up by crypto.

It's all for building anticipation, which in hopes will generate at minimum satisfactory sales.

Frankly, I'm exhausted from checking availability over the last two years and I know I'm far from being the only one.
Regardless of excuses, two years post release a 3080 at $729 is considered to be a deal is a little absurd.
I hope sales are strong to continue progression with PC gaming and continuous PC tech being released.

But for now, myself, will be opting out of any interest toward the 4000 series unless it's confirmed that stock will continue to be accessible and near or at MSRP.

Last edited:
It's all for building anticipation, which in hopes will generate at minimum satisfactory sales.

Frankly, I'm exhausted from checking availability over the last two years and I know I'm far from being the only one.
Regardless of excuses, two years post release a 3080 at $729 is considered to be a deal is a little absurd.
I hope sales are strong to continue progression with PC gaming and continuous PC tech being released.

But for now, myself, will be opting out of any interest toward the 4000 series unless it's confirmed that stock will continue to be accessible and near or at MSRP.
Yeah if they released the 4090 tomorrow and had good supply I'd imagine other than the first batch being scalped by the usual suspects, you would pretty easily be able to score one near msrp.

Hey, it makes a huge increase in shadow quality in WoW! Instead of an oval blur, you get a well-defined shadow of your character.

That's wrong.

The only time blob shadows are used is when you select the very lowest shadows setting. I use this sometimes when I raid so that there is less clutter on the ground and raid mechanics can be easier to see.

I really don't notice much difference in visual quality between having Ray Tracing enabled or disabled, but it certainly does impact performance, so I usually just leave it disabled. "Ultra High" shadows look pretty good even without Ray Tracing.

"Low" Shadows (aka blob shadows)
WoWScrnShot_082622_112049.jpg

"Fair" or "Good" shadows - Full shadow outline, somewhat low resolution (no ray-tracing).
WoWScrnShot_082622_112039.jpg

"High" or "Ultra" shadows - Full shadow outline, High resolution (no ray-tracing).
WoWScrnShot_082622_112030.jpg

"Ultra High" shadows - Full "soft" shadow outline, High resolution (no ray-tracing).
WoWScrnShot_082622_112022.jpg

"Ultra High" shadows w/ Ray Tracing enabled at highest setting
WoWScrnShot_082622_112118.jpg

Hah, good God no ray tracing in a WoW raid. Maybe with a RTX 5000 card in a few years. It was bad enough when I last raided 4-5 years ago. Even when Blizzard was at their most competent in development skill 10 or so years ago it would be not worth it. You get 10-25 people with all the spell effects? Good luck. There was a patch back in Legion expansion where the devs borked the game for everyone, cutting frames in half for most for a couple of weeks.

Nvidia wants to keep prices high but knows they can't unless they trick people into paying more. I'm sure somewhere in Nvidia's offices are employee's screaming ENTITLED GAMERS like they have tourettes syndrome.
They will easily maintain high prices if they release good cards that make a lot of profit for cryptocurrency mining, but considering the state of the world and the consumption of electricity, ecology and other things, somehow I think it won't be like that this time.
And the cards themselves should consume much more watts than rtx 3000.

You have to keep in mind that $200 in 2005 was worth a lot more than it is today. And, in 2005, the 7800 GTX was $600. In today's sheckles, that works out to about $865 which is above the theoretical 3080 MSRP that no one was able to get.

I'd also say pedantically you can't just equate 'price of GPU year X' to 'price of GPU year X' without factoring in the very advanced complexities that have taken place to those GPUs year after year after year in between

It's no where near akin to like 'the price of a tupperware container in year x compared to year x', even with price gouging and inflation and whatever aside or factored in

I'd also say pedantically you can't just equate 'price of GPU year X' to 'price of GPU year X' without factoring in the very advanced complexities that have taken place to those GPUs year after year after year in between

It's no where near akin to like 'the price of a tupperware container in year x compared to year x', even with price gouging and inflation and whatever aside or factored in

You're right - the progress of chip manufacturing over the last few decades has gotten much better and much more efficient. Prices today should be cheaper.

Agreed! :)

You're right - the progress of chip manufacturing over the last few decades has gotten much better and much more efficient. Prices today should be cheaper.

Agreed! :)

lol you know what i mean :p if we compare a gpu of yesteryear to one with cuda cores + tensor cores + video encode there's more than just "that model's number is more than that one" to consider

350W - 450W TDP aircooler has to add some cost. Plus all them VRMs. And then you have the marketing folks to pay, shills, stupid-face youtubers, the list goes on.

350W - 450W TDP aircooler has to add some cost. Plus all them VRMs. And then you have the marketing folks to pay, shills, stupid-face youtubers, the list goes on.
Yet here we have the CEO telling us what's up. Lol.

Is he here in this thread? I doubt it. But if he is, I wish he would sign my GTX 680.

Do tech celebs do autographs?

I'd ask him for one of his 15 Teslas

Think of the fire hazard all those batteries are all crammed together Jensen

The more you buy the more you save! The more Teslas you give me the safer your family is!

You have to keep in mind that $200 in 2005 was worth a lot more than it is today. And, in 2005, the 7800 GTX was $600. In today's sheckles, that works out to about $865 which is above the theoretical 3080 MSRP that no one was able to get.
People don't buy things based on inflation. The majority of gamers on Steam do not use a RTX 3080, or a 3070, or even a 3060. They're using 1060's, 1650's, 1050 Ti's, and 2060's, in that order. This is because the price gap is too large and the performance difference is too big. When Nvidia released the GTX 970 for $330, it sold like crazy, and that's because the GTX 980 was only 10% faster, plus the GTX 970 can play games at 1080p. Then Nvidia released Turing with Ray-Tracing with no actual performance increase. Then Nvidia released Ampere with a performance increase but prices went to the moon due to crypto. The RTX 3060 has nearly the same performance as the 2060, but also has massive price increase, which these cards would be what the majority of gamers would buy. Right now a RTX 2060 is less than $300 new off Amazon. The RTX 3060 is over $400 new on Amazon. The RTX 3060 Ti which would be a clear upgrade from a RTX 2060, is nearly $500.

It's not hard to see why 6 years later that people with GTX 1060's continue to use them to play today's games when games play just fine. There is no game that demanding that is unplayable on a 1060. Going back to 2016 nobody in 2016 was using a GTX 470 and GTX 480. The top 3 GPU's in 2016 was the GTX 970, 960, and 750 Ti. Clearly Nvidia screwed up if old cheap GPU's from 6 years ago are what gamers are using in 2022. The reason why games in 2022 run just fine on GTX 1060's is because they aren't going to make games that only runs on like 6.4% of peoples hardware, which is the total amount of gamers on Steam using a 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080, and 3090. Those four GPU's have less market share than the GTX 1060 alone. Even if I add all the RTX 2070's and 2080's, with that 6.4% it would still be less than the GTX 1060 + 1650. The overwhelming majority of gamers buy sub $300 GPU's, and the most popular GPU's are even less than $200. So either gamers can no longer afford to buy GPU's, or Nvidia doesn't offer a compelling upgrade with a compelling price. Probably both honestly.

People buy things they can pay for. If in 2005 you could pay $600 for a card, that same person could've potentially paid $800 for a card(if available) a year ago.

Wouldn't the 470 and 480 folks been more likely to have upgraded than 1060 value-conscious buyers? Plus, to get a 470/480 going back in the day, many had to upgrade the PSU. People willing to do that probably upgraded to kepler pretty quickly.

If you have a pre-built, the PSU is probably just good enough for a 120W 1060. Getting a 180 - 350W card is a lot less likely to happen because additional upgrades that might not be possible could be required.

I can't expect a 120W 4060 or even 4050, but I can hope.

Techpowerup suggests the 4050 will be 150W, but who knows.

People buy things they can pay for. If in 2005 you could pay $600 for a card, that same person could've potentially paid $800 for a card(if available) a year ago.
In 2005 the price of GPU's were stupid and that pushed people to buy an Xbox 360. Especially by 2007 when the GeForce 8800 GTX was $570 while the GTS was $380. Was it ever a wonder why the meme "But can it run Crisis" was being thrown around? Plenty of GPU's could run the game but not many of them were affordable. I had a Radeon X1950 GT and it run Crisis just fine, but not many people wanted to buy an ATI product.

Keep pushing up prices and see where gamers go.
Wouldn't the 470 and 480 folks been more likely to have upgraded than 1060 value-conscious buyers?
Not really, because both have had 6 years apart but 6 years later from the 470's and 480's release the GTX 970 was #1, which made sense. Six years later from the GTX 1060's release and it's still #1. It wasn't just recently #1 either, as you can go as far back as 2018 and see that it's been #1. Nvidia fucked up hard because they're pushing higher prices and catering to crypto miners. Nvidia's stock deserve to hit the ground.
Plus, to get a 470/480 going back in the day, many had to upgrade the PSU. People willing to do that probably upgraded to kepler pretty quickly.
No Kepler's in 2016, just Maxwell. GTX 970 was #1 in 2015. You see Kepler's in 2014 and Intel dominated twice in that year, but by this time it would be 2 years old. So after 3 years of launch, the Kepler cards were quickly replaced by Maxwell.
If you have a pre-built, the PSU is probably just good enough for a 120W 1060. Getting a 180 - 350W card is a lot less likely to happen because additional upgrades that might not be possible could be required.
I really doubt that running a RTX 3060 would be hard to do.
I can't expect a 120W 4060 or even 4050, but I can hope.

Techpowerup suggests the 4050 will be 150W, but who knows.
If the 4060 was $300 and the 2050 was $250 then it'll sell fast. I can't even find RTX 3060's for $300 new, and the RTX 3050 is just barely $300 new. Nvidia has been disconnected from their customers for 6 years, and you expect them to get it now? You're more likely to see Nvidia sell a limited edition Jensen Huang leather jacket.

Last edited:
In 2005 the price of GPU's were stupid and that pushed people to buy an Xbox 360.
My point was $600($860 adjusted) high-end cards existed, then.

Anyone getting an xbox because $600 GPUs merely existed... that's sad. I got an xbox because rockstar is a giant bag of ****s and it was the only way to play GTA4, the last GTA worth playing, if any of them were. Mostly for the bowling. :D

Keep pushing up prices and see where gamers go.
Again, it's sad if someone would accept a console controller. ...for anything other than racing games, or a lack of any other option to play a favorite title. But mobile phone games are a thing, so some people will accept anything, I guess.

Nvidia fucked up hard because...
Oh they f'd sooo hard... lol Their stock is only worth 20x what it was in 2016 when they lost contact wiff gamer buddies.

I really doubt that running a RTX 3060 would be hard to do.
But a 3080 or 3090 would require some contemplation for sure.

If it means I can get a 3080 or 3080 Ti on the cheap after the new series is released then good.

Otherwise, all I'm expecting is different colored wood screws.

My point was $600($860 adjusted) high-end cards existed, then.
Yea and nobody bought them then either.
Anyone getting an xbox because $600 GPUs merely existed... that's sad.
And also true. That was a terrible time for PC gaming. It's technically true now as Sony just raised prices because they know people are flocking to the PS5. It's not like JoeSixPack is aware of GPU prices dropping when he tried to upgrade during the pandemic.
3TWvzq2.png

Again, it's sad if someone would accept a console controller. ...for anything other than racing games, or a lack of any other option to play a favorite title. But mobile phone games are a thing, so some people will accept anything, I guess.
Mobile gaming is popular because most people in the world are broke as shit.
Oh they f'd sooo hard... lol Their stock is only worth 20x what it was in 2016 when they lost contact wiff gamer buddies.
Lets talk about their stock, because it looks like a crypto roller coaster. Remember there was a crypto boom in 2016 which then ended in 2018 with a crash. They went from $67 a share to $33 right after the crypto crash of 2018. Luckily for Nvidia the pandemic soon started and with people stuck at home and crypto exploding, their stock was worth $315. It's currently worth $162 and this isn't even their final stock market form. Their stock will crash so hard that they'll be begging to suck gamer dick. It'll crash harder than BBBY did for the idiots at Wallstreetbets.

But a 3080 or 3090 would require some contemplation for sure.
Yea you gotta explain to your wifes boyfriend how you spent $700 on a RTX 3080 to play Minecraft. Also just before Nvidia releases the RTX 4080.

Mobile gaming is popular because most people in the world are broke as shit.
I'm broke, but mobile phone gaming has never appealed past 2.5 minutes, mostly because of the controls and size of the screen. I bet my 2018 "smart" phone has a better GPU than my laptop, which is what I'm using right now, until it cools off and I can justify firing up the desktop. It feels weird to have the AC going while I have what amounts to a little space heater going at the same time.
Their stock will crash so hard that they'll be begging...
Um, I don't really see that happening. But if I could see what what going to happen, I might've bought a bunch of Domino's Pizza stock.

(Opinion)Amd is gonna smoke nvidia this time both in price-power and performance.

Waiting to see what kind of improvements both companies put out.

And before you start, no one cares about ray tracing. Its as niche to pc games as the VirtualBoy was to Nintendo.

Back