NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang hints at ‘exciting’ next-generation GPU update on September 20th Tuesday

19502359.jpg

Power consumption values in this slide (via anandtech) are conspicuous by their absence. To me that suggests, like Ampere vs Turing, Ada's power increase is going to be all about pushing diminishing returns harder and damn the electric bills.

I was tenatively planning to skip this GPU generation, keeping my 3080 for 2 more years and replacing the rest of my elderly i7-4790k system; if power efficiency is as bad as "we're not going to talk about it" implies, that's a definite will skip.

600 watts.......
Yea, currently 450W from what we know for the 4090 FE, just above 600 max theoretical, so AIB's will pull some serious power. Of course, these are still just rumors and not confirmed yet, but considering the lack of info on power in this keynote, expect it to be not far from the truth.

If you don't have product today to sale, then this is only a place holder (Hot Air) for your money, because AM5 is Live in 7 days and where he is afraid your money may go if AM5 gives uplifts to current gpu's!

He knows nothing about AM5 or how much it may rise the game, if the 5800 x 3D didn't blow your mind.

Last edited:
This presentation doesn't seem like it's trying to sell video cards to gamers. It's a definite focus shift vs. the 30-series presentation.
Yep. But you could already sense it during 30-series presentation.

Nvidia definitely has the future of the company mapped toward industrial, scientific, automotive, deep learning and AI. It's where their next decade of billions will primarily be coming from.

Nvidia merely tolerates fickle, whiny and entitled gamers like us now. Even though it was videogames that helped get Nvidia to where they are now. But it doesn't matter, it's just reality and evolution and capitalism.

Last edited:
Lots of people, the same crowd that bought the 3090 ti will show up again to pay for jensen's weekly new armani leather jacket.
I actually told myself I was going to buy a 3090 this previous gen, but then they revealed the $1500 price tag, and it became hard to justify. $700 for the 3080 was perfect.

Not sure how I feel about this next generation.

I'm curious if these will be a hot ticket or not. I feel pretty confident they'll still sell out right away (they always do), but have they said enough to keep people interested after that first wave? There weren't any killer apps shown and there aren't really any on the horizon, either. It's not like there's a looming Cyberpunk-type game on the horizon.

Any mention of bus? Is the 192 bit on the 12gb '4080' true?
If they're using 16Gb memory chips then it will be 192-bit.
Don't they always make claims like this, and then the actual improvement is more like 30 or 40 percent?
NVIDIA said the 3090 was twice as fast as the 2080 Ti in ray tracing and that turned out to be true. It was better than twice as fast in some cases.

Just a simple comparison for value based on cuda cores.

He wants you to buy the most expensive card (into recession/stagflation).
1663689467813.png

Back then in the early 3000 release (during crypto boom), 3080 is the best value.
1663689778433.png

Last edited:
There wasn't 8.3% inflation 2 years ago and used 3090s for under $1000
Doesn't matter, they'll be sold out for months.

Don't they always make claims like this, and then the actual improvement is more like 30 or 40 percent?

Salty though that they increased prices considering the landscape. Oversupply of 3000 series, Ethereum now PoS, an already flooded second hand gpu market is going to get even worse now....Yet Nvidia has the audacity to increase prices on their upcoming gen...Honestly, pretty insulting if you ask me.
None of that matters. The pricing is what the market will support. To devalue their IP and price them lower than what the market supports would be bad business. The party you want to be Salty with is the critical mass of buyers that pay the asking price.

Last edited:
You underestimate how much disposable income these people probably have. They dgaf about 8.3% inflation or how cheap last gen is, they want the latest and greatest and will pay whatever.
You overestimate how many people there are that can do that now, even Nvidia said that they are holding back on the 4000 units to clear out the 3000 series over stock. It will be easy to sell out every 4090 if you only release a few thousand cards.

Nvidia said that they are holding back on the 4000 units to clear out the 3000 series over stock. It will be easy to sell out every 4090 if you only release a few thousand cards.

I mean, let's put it this way - if you still game at 1440p and have a 3000 series card (or AMD equivalent), what real reason is there for you to upgrade? I don't see any games coming on the horizon that are going to tax the GPU more than Cyberpunk and that already runs just fine maxed out for me.

You overestimate how many people there are that can do that now, even Nvidia said that they are holding back on the 4000 units to clear out the 3000 series over stock. It will be easy to sell out every 4090 if you only release a few thousand cards.
I don't. Truth is they never really produce a ton of the top-end SKU because they know there never is tons of demand there. Keep in mind even the x80 series is still small compared to the x70 and x60 lines.

I mean, let's put it this way - if you still game at 1440p and have a 3000 series card (or AMD equivalent), what real reason is there for you to upgrade? I don't see any games coming on the horizon that are going to tax the GPU more than Cyberpunk and that already runs just fine maxed out for me.
Not really. The only reason I do is because I typically like to play at high fps. But I have no problems capping and using gsync, it really works great the vast majority of the time.

I don't. Truth is they never really produce a ton of the top-end SKU because they know there never is tons of demand there. Keep in mind even the x80 series is still small compared to the x70 and x60 lines.
I bet they sell fewer 4090s than 3090s

You underestimate how much disposable income these people probably have. They dgaf about 8.3% inflation or how cheap last gen is, they want the latest and greatest and will pay whatever.
Correct. There are more than enough people that are not price sensitive and not willing to buy used electronic products for their work PC.

If they're using 16Gb memory chips then it will be 192-bit.

NVIDIA said the 3090 was twice as fast as the 2080 Ti in ray tracing and that turned out to be true. It was better than twice as fast in some cases.
I care about ray tracing more than any other feature. I was thinking they were going to tout 40%+ raw performance boost.
The 2-4x ray tracing performance has my "complete" attention.

Back