NVIDIA CEO: GPU Shortage Will Continue Throughout 2022

DPI

[H]F Junkie
In its latest earnings call, Nvidia's CEO Jensen Huang explained he expects GPU shortages to continue throughout most of 2022.

“I would expect that we will see a supply constrained environment for the vast majority of next year. A lot of that has to do with the demand being so great.”

https://www.techspot.com/news/90860-nvidia-predicts-gpu-supply-issues-last-vast-majority.html
https://www.pcmag.com/news/nvidia-gpu-supplies-to-remain-constrained-for-vast-majority-of-2022
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/19/22632047/nvidia-gpu-supply-rtx-30-series-constraints-2022

1629407011634.png

Last edited:
Thx for the links, I think they have been saying that..."quietly"....for some time now, it's not the first time I heard "end of 2022" because only so many fab's make chips, and there are bigger industries than the GPU market that need chips made........GPU's amount to "jack" and "sheet" I believe in the whole scheme of things, if Ford or Chevy or BMW can't sell cars because of a lack of processors, well...we know where the fabs will spend their time printing money...I mean chips..... :p

They keep saying demand is so great, but has the PC gaming enthusiast market really grown at all in the last few years? I understand people WFH, but you don't need a 3080 Ti for that.

I understand why there is a shortage, for all the reasons we talk about every day. I just don't think demand from gamers is one of those reasons.

Lol all the reason why I’ll be hanging on to my $99 a month Snailbot.io subscription. Fock that lol.

They keep saying demand is so great, but has the PC gaming enthusiast market really grown at all in the last few years? I understand people WFH, but you don't need a 3080 Ti for that.

I understand why there is a shortage, for all the reasons we talk about every day. I just don't think demand from gamers is one of those reasons.
The ravening demand is from miners, apparently.

If China actually invades Taiwan, as they are threatening to do, we will wish our present circumstances would come back. I am not looking forward to things, even if Taiwan is left alone, because the threat alone will probably cause prices on parts to rise.

Thx for the links, I think they have been saying that..."quietly"....for some time now, it's not the first time I heard "end of 2022" because only so many fab's make chips, and there are bigger industries than the GPU market that need chips made........GPU's amount to "jack" and "sheet" I believe in the whole scheme of things, if Ford or Chevy or BMW can't sell cars because of a lack of processors, well...we know where the fabs will spend their time printing money...I mean chips..... :p
Yep, corporate America is priority #1 right now. Gamers continue to pay scalped prices and receiving your "You weren't selected..." emails from Newegg.

Last edited:

Gamers demand can be fulfilled in two months. The issue is that all of the stock is being diverted to higher paying business customers.

Last edited:
Lol all the reason why I’ll be hanging on to my $99 a month Snailbot.io subscription. Fock that lol.
Please tell me you haven't held onto it since the cards first came out, because that that point you might as well have bought from a scalper :D :D :D

That said, I can buy a card if I want... it's the price that I can get it at. This is largely an artificial shortage

Please tell me you haven't held onto it since the cards first came out, because that that point you might as well have bought from a scalper :D :D :D

That said, I can buy a card if I want... it's the price that I can get it at. This is largely an artificial shortage

Huh? lol. I got in @ $99 a month after being on a waitlist to get in for about 25 days. Now its so god damn popular, theres a 2 month + waitlist AND efffin $2400+ (SIGNUP FEE LOL) plus like $150 a month. LMAO! Im grandfathered in at the $99 rate and keeping it.

Its done well for me, 40+ RTX cards @ msrp, numerous PS5's and Series X's for friends/fam. Not complaining at all lol.

Yep, corporate America is priority #1 right now. Gamers continue to pay scalped prices and receiving your "You weren't selected..." emails from Newegg.
Corporatism is an important factor with megacorps, and mining is not slowing at all.
There is also a vast demand of GPUs for databases, AI, network infrastructure, etc.

Wait, network infrastructure, don't be silly, GPUs aren't used for that... :D

Yes, NVIDIA Morpheus is a real thing - something something dark cyberpunk future. :borg:

arM3x5p_460s.jpg

What I don't get, why do car manufactures (and plenty of others) needs the small nodes? Can't they just get the bigger stuff from the likes of Global Foundries? Not every car has to have near autonomous driving.

What I don't get, why do car manufactures (and plenty of others) needs the small nodes? Can't they just get the bigger stuff from the likes of Global Foundries? Not every car has to have near autonomous driving.
I thought they are on large node (like 22nm to 65), I imagine many entrants stay the same despite node size too:

https://www.ft.com/content/05206915-fd73-4a3a-92a5-6760ce965bd9
Moreover, one TSMC plant in the US cannot be used for everything: most of the chips used in cars can be produced with the larger 28-65nm nodes — a mature segment of the market in which TSMC is less dominant

PC gaming enthusiast market really grown at all in the last few years?
Console gaming use very similar hardware making that distinction maybe a small one here, but quite a lot apparently:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/274806/pc-gaming-software-sales-revenue-worldwide/

Seem to have a giant sudden 2020 spike when it was a stable grow, 2020 pc games sales grow was higher than 2015 to 2019 if that source above is correct, a 19% jump (doubling every 3.5 year rate), that is not has high but in the same water than the explosion of general pc hardware sales explosion of the work from home boom:
https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom...ents-grew-32-percent-in-first-quarter-of-2021

An other indicator could be steam, concurrent user peak:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/308330/number-stream-users/

peak reached in april 2021 is more than 50% higher than anything reached in 2019

Whatever... PC has lost me , I missed the trained during the 1080ti days , 2080 was just a no no , 3080 prices are insane.
2022? fine by me , my next upgrade will be 40 series , Zen4 ,DDR5 etc... 6-7 years with same PC? fine
I'm just gonna buy a killer 32" 4K 144hz hdmi2.1 monitor and hook my XSX to it in my desk.

Last edited:
Corporatism is an important factor with megacorps, and mining is not slowing at all.
There is also a vast demand of GPUs for databases, AI, network infrastructure, etc.

Wait, network infrastructure, don't be silly, GPUs aren't used for that... :D

Yes, NVIDIA Morpheus is a real thing - something something dark cyberpunk future. :borg:

Agreed

Nvidia started off doing games, but then realized they can solve problems.
Solving problems leads to expectations, those expectations have to be met.
Being in a unique position, Nvidia must continue to solve the problems of the companies they are obligated to, because they are greatly depended on.

Corporations and Miners need problems solved.
Gamers don't have any problems that needs to be solved....so they have to wait.

So as a gamer, how bad do you need your lack of GPU problem solved? Because the corporations are paying top dollar to solve theirs.
This all BS, but that's the market right now.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna buy a killer 32" 4K 144hz hdmi2.1 monitor and hook my XSX to it in my desk.
Yeah, I did this last week with the FI32U and a PS5. Honestly, it plays fine and way less BS than PC gaming lately.

I still love PC because it is an open platform, but you can get a PS5/XSX and a nice 4K screen for less than the cost of even 1 GPU and the experience is great.

Yeah, I did this last week with the FI32U and a PS5. Honestly, it plays fine and way less BS than PC gaming lately.

I still love PC because it is an open platform, but you can get a PS5/XSX and a nice 4K screen for less than the cost of even 1 GPU and the experience is great.

100% agree. The Series X and PS5 are the real deal. Untouchable especially at their price points. Wanna play Warzone on a Series X or PS5 and feel like your playing on a legit gaming pc? Get 120hz panel and pair a K/M and your good to go. Amazing experience. I have both.

Modern gamers are an interesting bunch.
It would have been unheard of just a few years ago to pay more than four times the cost of a complete console for a single component.
The desire to game at a top level has caused guys to lose sight of value.
Card prices will never go back to pre-Covid levels.
Impatience and a willingness to pay what ever Nvidia and AMD requested drove it there.

100% agree. The Series X and PS5 are the real deal. Untouchable especially at their price points. Wanna play Warzone on a Series X or PS5 and feel like your playing on a legit gaming pc? Get 120hz panel and pair a K/M and your good to go. Amazing experience. I have both.
It'd be an easy switch if I could play ALL games with KB/M. I've been mouthing off about that for over a decade, to no avail. So, console gaming remains inaccessible to me.

Hardly surprising. Anyone who could benefit from the detection of correlations is likely to want those tensor cores.
I know on my end they're used in VRAN/ORAN stuff for accelerating functions in vCU scenarios (and elsewhere). Most of the time you'll see FPGA solutions being used, so Nvidia is trying to get in to the space.

Well guess I won't be buying any new games
You can buy them, just adjust your settings accordingly. I'm on 1080Ti's here...my big win was buying a second 1080 Ti for a mere $350 when the 30 series was launched......second system build and whatnot.......I won't buy a 3080 until the prices are at MSRP, so I'm probably never buying one :)

yeah, not buying new games, or monitors or cases, ssds , etc etc..
so, gamers not upgrading like they normaly would has to be putting a hurt on alot of other
companies/people... game developers ...

next thing you know the old cheap games will start to go up in price , just because ....

You can buy them, just adjust your settings accordingly. I'm on 1080Ti's here...my big win was buying a second 1080 Ti for a mere $350 when the 30 series was launched......second system build and whatnot.......I won't buy a 3080 until the prices are at MSRP, so I'm probably never buying one :)
I bought a sweet 4k LG 48cx last year and can't bring myself to play games on it where I have to drop down in resolution. I'd rather wait on this GPU mess to sort itself out and skip the latest gen of cards entirely if necessary, as well as the next gen if the pricing madness is still in effect. I can play less demanding indie games like Sunless Skies and Encased, as well as my back catalog of older games. Won't be buying any of the upcoming AAA games.

Buying my 1080 ti was the first time I'd ever bought a flagship GPU. Didn't know I'd be stuck with it for 6 years.

look at it this way: at least you can feel good about convincing yourself to get the flagship for longevity.

Ah reminds me of when I sold two 7870's and bought a GTX 780 with change to spare. To bad both amd and nvidia are in demand right now.

What is the problem that miners are solving? How to get to ecological or economical disaster faster?
Cryptomining at it's core involves solving complex math problems......like Folding but on the blockchain and verifies financial transactions.
You know all of this already but I get your point.

If China actually invades Taiwan, as they are threatening to do, we will wish our present circumstances would come back. I am not looking forward to things, even if Taiwan is left alone, because the threat alone will probably cause prices on parts to rise.
Agreed 1000%. We better join up w/Japan to defend Taiwan. Aside from the sheer economic, strategic mayhem it would cause, we need to make it clear to China that free people cannot be gobbled up.

Agreed 1000%. We better join up w/Japan to defend Taiwan. Aside from the sheer economic, strategic mayhem it would cause, we need to make it clear to China that free people cannot be gobbled up.
After what just happened in Afghanistan, I have no faith in the US defending any of our allies. China & Russia now know that too.

Back