nVidia buys ULI

If true (it is from the Inq) then ATI must really be panicking because they're fucked.

Maybe now they'll fix their southbridge. :rolleyes:

Haha, Well know more tomorrow, or rather today. Must have been done overseas. Lets see what other trustworthy, reliable sites have to say concerning this matter.

*Hopes SB600 is up to par* we need competition in the chipset industry as it will push the two companies to exceed one another and hopefully bring new technologies and cheaper prices.

Forbes also mentioned the Acquisition.

Darn, and I was looking forward to the Uli M1697 (anandtech review) as a budget Socket 939 chipset for friends and relatives upgrading in the coming 3~6 months or so.

im not shure what this means... i doubt they bought them for there tech, as most of the ULi chipsets i have ever worked with where crap... (but this was back in the p2 days.. that may have changed... ) i dont recall uli haveing ever put out anything worth noteing recently... if uli had there own tech plants, it could be good becuase they (NV) can turn out more product, and bring the prices down, but if they dont have there own fab the only thing they would gain that i could see would be there fab time (ala if theres a wait on a fab because there taping one set then the next person will have to wait in line... kinda like buying someone elses ticket to ride...) they may be gathering up engineers, but they better do a memwipe on them... so they dont fuck up the good chipsets they have now.. :p

what else could NV stand to gain from ULi that they didnt already have???

thore

Be it that this is an nVidia thread, I can understand why ULi's efforts with ATI wouldn't be put in a good light, however they are doing really well with their south bridges for ATI chipsets. Granted nothing is as stable as nVidia atm, just wanted to point that out

maybe they want to kill agp as much as possible. (ULi had those double agp/pci-e boards) :-P

Russ said:
maybe they want to kill agp as much as possible. (ULi had those double agp/pci-e boards) :-P

I own one of those boards. So far, been doing well. I just recently ordered a 7800GT, upgrading from a 6800 agp card. So I definitely am glad they released that board.
I have seen Uli trying to focus themselves in niche markets, like that agp/pci-e board. Hopefully NV will leave the Uli R and D guys to continue what they are doing, so we can see more boundary pushing on what can and can't be done with mobos. I hihgly doubt it though, and I see this as purely a marketing buyout, not a technical one. :rolleyes:
We'll see what happens.

Russ said:
agp is already dead. ;)

I think the main reason for the purchase was ULI's Intel license and Intel chipset IP, that is if Intel really is going to stop manufacturing low end chipsets for good. That's a huge market and nvidia doesn't really have much marketshare in Intel chipsets. The smaller reason is to burn ATI/MissFire. :p

ScHpAnKy said:
Buy VIA :)

you like powerman 5000?
Or perhaps design a working SB themselves? I don't know many PC enthuasists who would but anything with word "VIA" in their computer cases. Even SiS is much better choice.

aop said:
Even SiS is much better choice.
Really. :eek:

As much as I don't like VIA, their K8 chipsets (K8T800 Pro for example) were pretty darn good. They've fallen off again with the K8T890 though. Their Pentium chipsets can't even compete with Intel's core logics.

ATI's chipsets achilles heel was their SouthBridge, ATI fixed that weakness by using the ULI south bride. I wonder if Nvidia bought ULI just to FUCK with ATI!! B/c they'll surely rename the South Bridge to Nvidia SBxxx so when you buy an ATI board, you'll have an Nvidia South Bridge!! LOL !

This surely is at least pissing in ATI's cereal! Kinda funny. Not b/c I'm an Nvidia fan8oy (b/c I am). But just for general sneaky competitive practices! I give Nv kudos regardless of their motivation, b/c end results puts pressure on their competitor to fix their SB, or start using soon to be branded Nvidia SB's. (which would be a PR nightmare for ATI)

You can hear it now, "Why buy a half Nvidia board, when you can do it right and buy a 100% nvidia board. Obviously we have the best chips.... even our arch-enemy competitor uses our chips (southbridge)"

aop said:
Or perhaps design a working SB themselves? I don't know many PC enthuasists who would but anything with word "VIA" in their computer cases. Even SiS is much better choice.
Designing a working SB is the likely event, or they'll exit the motherboard market, but I was merely joking around.
CrimandEvil said:
Oh man, I hate VIA. If theres one thing I can count on its their mobos giving me trouble. :(
I've not experienced the new K8 chipsets, but I've never had any major issues with their Socket A/370 Chipsets that were not prevalent in their competitor's boards, as well.

DangerIsGo said:
Hell yeah
Figured as much, your name gave it away
:p

is via really that bad?
*looks at motherboard*
I have never really had any problems with this >_>

Darakian said:
is via really that bad?
*looks at motherboard*
I have never really had any problems with this >_>

Like I said, the VIA chipset-based motherboards that I have used in the past and present have been no less reliable than the nForce equivalents

HighwayAssassins said:
holy shit! this sucks...so much for competition.
Well, hopefully this will spur ATI into fixing their southbridge or maybe getting SIS to develop one for them (or something) so theres still competition it's just that ATI might be screwed the most by this.

USMC2Hard4U said:
I dont play games :)
I think he just meant he will stick with a good computer.

tongue.gif

yea but unlike when NVIDIA bought voodoo, i hope nothing of ULI tech, ends on on a Nforcechipset...

I(illa Bee said:
yea but unlike when NVIDIA bought voodoo, i hope nothing of ULI tech, ends on on a Nforcechipset...
http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20051215A2003.html
"ULi to help Nvidia’s high-end chipsets; benefits all around from acquisition"

Nvidia will adjust its chipset roadmap following the acquisition of ULi Electronics, according to company president and CEO Huang Jen-hsun. Nvidia is looking to enhance its high-end chipset line for the Intel platform, but has no plans to participate in the entry-level segment for the short term, said Huang.

Stepping into the entry-level Pentium 4 chipset market will need to be further evaluated, although people are curious whether Nvidia’s acquisition of ULi may herald its entry into the segment, Huang indicated. Intel’s entry-level chipset shortage has offered opportunities to the third-party players, but it would be a risk to follow suit, Huang said. The situation is a gambling competition, in which performance at each chipset maker depends on whether or not Intel has a shortage, Huang pointed out.

Yep yep, makes the decision difficult to go with an NF4 now or wait for the SB600 chipset boards because the ones based on M1575 will likely have a different firmware that would rarely be updated after the SB600 revision boards hit the market. That and M1575 is slightly slower than the NF4 though not as slow as the SB450. ATI is getting its ass handed to it =\

Back