Nvidia bringing the 1050 ti back from the dead to meet demand

I don't particularly like it either, but what would you have them do? Be like nobody else, not raise prices, and leave money on the table? They're being rational.
PS5 prices are scalped to hell and back, but are they raising the price of the PS5? Why the double standard?
Note that during the last mining-based craze, they changed their pricing. "1080ti: 1 or 2 for $1000 each. 3+, $10,000 each"
Yea and it just means if some crypto miner was desperate then MicroCenter would bank. Seriously, fuck MicroCenter.

Out of curiosity I was just looking at a few things on ebay. There are two Sapphire Nitro RX 5700 XT cards with bids of $947. (One just ended at 947) There are at least another four 5700 XT cards with bids over $800 and maybe a half dozen over $700.
I did not realize things were this bad. Are people really that desperate or are the miners buying these?

Out of curiosity I was just looking at a few things on ebay. There are two Sapphire Nitro RX 5700 XT cards with bids of $947. (One just ended at 947) There are at least another four 5700 XT cards with bids over $800 and maybe a half dozen over $700.
I did not realize things were this bad. Are people really that desperate or are the miners buying these?

If you want to mine, you'll pay money to make money.
If you want to game, you'll have to just insert more quarters.

Otherwise it's game over. You really think we wanna be stuck in THIS reality, just knowing another one is inches away?
It's accessible if you just install a powerful enough graphics card. Just buy it for any price, and start gaming.
Money doesn't even matter anymore. What's to buy except food, bills, and games?
Just let me escape from the misery of this reality. We'll pay any price.

Graphics cards will just keep going up in price as people realize that being able to escape into the cyber realm for even a few hours is better than being stuck here in plague earth. We're begging to escape. And the only way is to pay the price.

Nvidia is giving the new cards to the miners by the pallet loads. As I said, Nvidia gives the miners first crack at the new cards. Screw everyone else.

PS5 prices are scalped to hell and back, but are they raising the price of the PS5? Why the double standard?

Yea and it just means if some crypto miner was desperate then MicroCenter would bank. Seriously, fuck MicroCenter.
Hey now. You take that fucking back. Don't you bad mouth MC.

Last edited:

because if Sony or MS raises prices on the consoles there will be a huge amount of backlash from potential console owners who don’t want to pay more than the “already kind of high for a console” price.

but if nvidia and AMD raise prices, high end PC gamers and PCMR types just pay anyways. It’s been happening since Ryzen and Coffee Lake, and RTX.

They’re entirely different consumer mindsets.

So I have a family member who wants a gaming PC. There are no GPUs, no Ryzen CPUs, power supplies are limited, and mainboards are short. I can't even give them a good date when they could get one. I've been left telling them they need a pre-built or gaming laptop. The laptop pricing is still okay, but have you seen how much Dell is marking up their Alienware machines?! Same with NZXT. I can't even tell them to get a console right now to hold them over because the only console available to buy is the Switch!

Honestly, you might want to consider pre-built. They still have some in stock at reasonable prices.

I've never personally owned a pre-built, I've been building my own computers my whole life, and this is the first time I'd consider it.

As a kid I had an HP (P120) , Dell (P2-300), and then a Falcon NW (Athlon 750). Since then though I've built my own with the exception of a Zotac EN1070 because I just thought it looked cool.

Unfortunately even the pre-builts are way up in price right now. I think I'm going to encourage them to explore some retro gaming. LOL.

Actually, I think I'll bring my Sandy Bridge out of retirement for one last run for them. I've got a spare RX590 8GB which should be good enough for now. Better than integrated.

My kitten actually killed my spare computer (by stepping on the surge protector button, didn't think it would be possible, but it's completely dead).

It's a 4790K and GTX 1060 6GB build I use for testing things. Was almost ready to just part it out, but I decided to get a new case, power supply, and motherboard to rebuild it.

So, not as exciting as a new Ryzen build, but I spent a few hundred bucks and I get to at least build something since you can't get any good parts right now. Should be a fun project.

So I have a family member who wants a gaming PC. There are no GPUs, no Ryzen CPUs, power supplies are limited, and mainboards are short. I can't even give them a good date when they could get one. I've been left telling them they need a pre-built or gaming laptop. The laptop pricing is still okay, but have you seen how much Dell is marking up their Alienware machines?! Same with NZXT. I can't even tell them to get a console right now to hold them over because the only console available to buy is the Switch!
Honestly look at the Dell G5’s, I’ve had friends and family in desperate need for new gaming PC’s, you might have a 4-6 week lead time but you can get something good. And after looking at dells prices and comparing them against new egg, the Dell was cheaper.

What about a non-alienware Dell like a G5 or XPS? There is always a bit of a premium on Alienware.

Edit* Nevermind figured it out

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up. I was trying to build a computer and I found it a bit peculiar what is going on. lol

My jaw dropped when I read this news. On top of it all, the 1050Ti's sell for significantly more than when they were brand-new four years ago. Heck, I was surprised at how expensive the GT1030's have gotten. I used to find them at $70 to $90 on Neweeg a few weeks ago. Now, they range $95 to $200 in price. I have a pile of brand-new computer parts for my brother that I cannot do anything with. I have everything but for the GPU. My cousin has the same issue. We will attempt to get an RTX3060 on the 25th. If not, I will try to get a busted GTX960 to work.

A few more months and they'll bring back the 970 GTX line...then I'll be cutting edge again.

This is not what one would call "progress". :(

Bringing back the 1050 Ti makes no damn sense. There's other old cards that are faaar more worthy of being brought back (and far more useful).
I'd pay $350 for a brand new 1080 Ti with that new card smell.
I could see the 1080 Ti being still decent today, and a valid upgrade choice for people on the 1060 or similar cards.
I paid $430 for a brand-new EVGA 1080 Ti in Summer 2019 (I had been planning on picking up a Radeon 5700 XT at the time as an upgrade from my GTX 970). It's been handling 1440p gaming really dang well. I'll continue to coast along with it until the PC market returns to sanity.

A few more months and they'll bring back the 970 GTX line...then I'll be cutting edge again.

This is not what one would call "progress". :(

If they have to dig all the way back to Maxwell, I wish they would bring back the 980ti but with 12GB and support for Freesync. At least it would give a decent 1080P experience. I've still got one running in a secondary rig.

Nvidia is producing again the GTX 1050Ti 4GB and the RTX 2060 6GB and 2060S 8GB. Those fresh ones should appear by march.

I don't know anyone who would need a 1050ti, especially if it were a "filler" card.

Steam itself has the 1060 as the most dominantly used gpu for users. A card that's been out for years and is better than a 1050ti in every way.

Unless there's a sudden surge of rx 460 or gtx 960 users wanting an upgrade today, releasing this is nothing short of a blatant slap to the face to the user market.
I agree with your sentiment, but as a previous owner of a 960 4GB, a 1050ti is a straight up side grade. As was my 670 to the 960.
A 970/980 or a 1060 6GB would be the worthy upgrade if your going cheap. Now the RX 460 would see around a 10% improvement, still a side grade.

What if they came out with a 3050 with 4GB of RAM to make it less attractive to miners and a 3050 Ti with 6GB of RAM? At least some people might have a chance to experience ray-tracing.

What if they came out with a 3050 with 4GB of RAM to make it less attractive to miners and a 3050 Ti with 6GB of RAM? At least some people might have a chance to experience ray-tracing.
At this point we need Intel to come out and compete because neither AMD or Nvidia are going to produce more to lower prices. Lowering prices is not the business they're in. Making a 3050 or 3050 Ti would make sense but Nvidia's production is at max capacity as is. Even AMD has issues with both Sony and Microsoft wanting the manufacturing capacity to themselves. We need Intel to come out with GPU's that isn't from TSMC, because everyone wants to use TSMC for manufacturing.

Already answered up thread; but a notional 3050 design (even money one exists) would also be built on the same Samsung 8nm process as all the other cards we can't get. Splitting their limited supply of those wafers even more ways wouldn't help. The zombie 1050 and 2060 are on older processes that don't compete with what newer cards need.

Already answered up thread; but a notional 3050 design (even money one exists) would also be built on the same Samsung 8nm process as all the other cards we can't get. Splitting their limited supply of those wafers even more ways wouldn't help. The zombie 1050 and 2060 are on older processes that don't compete with what newer cards need.
The RTX 2060 should have been the replacement for the 1050Ti since that can be made with an older manufacturing process as well. Is anyone using 12nm for anything? The consequences for Nvidia manufacturing older tech like the 1050 Ti will has consequences for owners of RTX graphic cards. This is basically the Geforce 4 MX all over again. Ray-Tracing won't be often included in new games unless paid by Nvidia otherwise. It's feature that most people won't have access to for years to come. While the RTX 2060 isn't a Ray-Tracing powerhouse, it is still able to do it with DLSS and low settings. This is why I'm not upgrading my hardware because I know this GPU shortage is going to screw with system requirements for years to come.

The RTX 2060 should have been the replacement for the 1050Ti since that can be made with an older manufacturing process as well. Is anyone using 12nm for anything? The consequences for Nvidia manufacturing older tech like the 1050 Ti will has consequences for owners of RTX graphic cards. This is basically the Geforce 4 MX all over again. Ray-Tracing won't be often included in new games unless paid by Nvidia otherwise. It's feature that most people won't have access to for years to come. While the RTX 2060 isn't a Ray-Tracing powerhouse, it is still able to do it with DLSS and low settings. This is why I'm not upgrading my hardware because I know this GPU shortage is going to screw with system requirements for years to come.
excellent point about Ray tracing- this will kick it down the road another 2-3 generations given typical upgrade cycles.

This is such a lost opportunity for AMD. If they had been able to crank out a million 6800s like they cranked out a million Ryzen CPUs, we would be talking about what you could buy vs features on vapor ware hardware.

Of course, but it makes sense. Most people would probably be fine with a 1050 Ti, and on a different process, it shouldn't compete for wafers with the high end stuff. I was using a 1050 for a week or two recently while I sent my 2070 out to evga for a warranty repair. (Also, thanks to the people who reminded me of evga's warranty period being so long! )
How long is EVGA'S warranty period if I may ask? I've just been sitting with my EVGA 1070 Ti FTW2 sitting on my desk for the past 2 months after a friend somehow shorted it out trying to take a picture of his knife in my PC case on top of the card 🤦‍♂️ but that would be awesome if I could get it fixed.

excellent point about Ray tracing- this will kick it down the road another 2-3 generations given typical upgrade cycles.

This is such a lost opportunity for AMD. If they had been able to crank out a million 6800s like they cranked out a million Ryzen CPUs, we would be talking about what you could buy vs features on vapor ware hardware.
AMD could still take the market as the 6800's had no chance of market penetration with prices at $570+. There's a reason why the GTX 1060 and 1050 Ti are the two most popular GPU's bought. They're simply cheaper and they work. If AMD is able to make the 6600 or 6700's cheaper and mass produce them like crazy then AMD could sitll dominate in this current market. The 6600 doesn't have to be made with 7nm, as that manufacturing process is dominated by everything right now. It sucks to use 12nm to make a RDNA2 graphics card but there's no way in hell AMD can produce them with 7nm with the current demand we're seeing. The only reason Nvidia is making 1050 Ti's is because the 14nm manufacturing is available and Nvidia doesn't feel like spending money on turning Ampere into 14nm cheap GPU's. Any GPU is better than no GPU at the moment.

How long is EVGA'S warranty period if I may ask? I've just been sitting with my EVGA 1070 Ti FTW2 sitting on my desk for the past 2 months after a friend somehow shorted it out trying to take a picture of his knife in my PC case on top of the card 🤦‍♂️ but that would be awesome if I could get it fixed.
Hit the website with your serial number and find out. It's the only way to be sure. I bought a used 1080Ti here a couple of years ago and transferred the warranty online. However, it's up to your morals if it is still under warranty seeing as how you fried it.

AMD could still take the market as the 6800's had no chance of market penetration with prices at $570+. There's a reason why the GTX 1060 and 1050 Ti are the two most popular GPU's bought. They're simply cheaper and they work. If AMD is able to make the 6600 or 6700's cheaper and mass produce them like crazy then AMD could sitll dominate in this current market. The 6600 doesn't have to be made with 7nm, as that manufacturing process is dominated by everything right now. It sucks to use 12nm to make a RDNA2 graphics card but there's no way in hell AMD can produce them with 7nm with the current demand we're seeing. The only reason Nvidia is making 1050 Ti's is because the 14nm manufacturing is available and Nvidia doesn't feel like spending money on turning Ampere into 14nm cheap GPU's. Any GPU is better than no GPU at the moment.
Yea and you can't even get AMD cards anywhere near MSRP. They are worst value now then Nvidia when you see 6800s go nearly for 3080 prices and 6800xt for over 1k at MC. That is if you can ever find stock.

Well, it'll delay the adoption of ray tracing for PC games, at least... not necessarily game consoles. Not that PS5 and Xbox Series X supplies aren't also constrained — it's just that devs can target ray tracing on those systems right away where PC developers will have to wait until there are enough people with RT-capable GPUs to build games around the technology.

The miners are using bots to buy cards before consumers just like the scalpers did. So between the two, consumers get the scraps.

This has been a problem for six months. I’m out of pity for NVIDIA.

Yeah me too. I would think it would be easy for them to put some sort of check in the high end cards that would detect mining and shut the fucking thing down and put up a A dialogue requesting they go eat shit.

Apparently it's 3 years from when it leaves the factory.
They also offer a 4y and a 7y extended warranty when you register with Evga, the cost depends on the card. I paid $40 for an extra 7yrs on top of my 3yrs for my 2060.

Back