Nvidia bringing the 1050 ti back from the dead to meet demand

Microcenter has an MSI version for $214.99.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...ual-fan-4gb-gddr5-pcie-video-card?storeid=151
I can't believe how insane that is.
Yep. The Dallas location also lists a low profile MSI version for $180, and another MSI 1050 Ti for $205. There is also, inexplicably, a $140 Gigabyte model. All four are sold out here.

I didn't expect to feel like the holder of considerable largesse for owning an RTX 3070 I paid retail for, a Vega Frontier Edition with an aftermarket HSF, an R9 280x, and a GTX 1060 3GB, but I really do. Now to wait until the bubble pops...

I don't know anyone who would need a 1050ti, especially if it were a "filler" card.

Steam itself has the 1060 as the most dominantly used gpu for users. A card that's been out for years and is better than a 1050ti in every way.

Unless there's a sudden surge of rx 460 or gtx 960 users wanting an upgrade today, releasing this is nothing short of a blatant slap to the face to the user market.

I don't know anyone who would need a 1050ti, especially if it were a "filler" card.

Steam itself has the 1060 as the most dominantly used gpu for users. A card that's been out for years and is better than a 1050ti in every way.

Unless there's a sudden surge of rx 460 or gtx 960 users wanting an upgrade today, releasing this is nothing short of a blatant slap to the face to the user market.
There’s no contempt involved. It was quietly being discontinued but was available to spin back up to serve the low-middle part of the market that’s been completely screwed since shortages began. Between tariffs, opportunistic pricing, and decline with time it’s a worse value than it was, but at least it’ll allow thousands of people to have a card better than a GT 1030 or integrated video. I’m surprised I haven’t heard AMD making noise about a last hurrah for Polaris, but that’ll probably happen in the next few months too.

I kind of doubt a 1050ti can even play AAA titles
According to YouTube it can, but of course the videos I found featured beefy CPUs that wouldn't be a likely pairing. My 1050 TI hasn't seen much gaming in my HTPC. Just use it for video playback.

seems like folks are just having to settle for less... want a 3090/6900XT? maybe they'll find a 3080/6800XT they can afford. Want a 3080? They're $1000 now, better get that 3070 instead. Looking for a 3060Ti? No dice, but there's a 5700XT for $500. Meanwhile someone else saw the 5700XT and got sticker shock so they're getting a 1650S instead, the one who wanted the 1650S ended up with a 1050Ti and the poor gonk who had their eye on the 1050Ti is now logging onto [H] to ask how much they can overclock the 1030 they had to get because everything else is sold out or >50% over MSRP. Next thing we know AMD will be releasing yet another Polaris card and it'll cost $250 because hey why not.

I'd pay $350 for a brand new 1080 Ti with that new card smell. I'll stick with my 980 Ti until I can find an affordable used card or this happens.

I'm in the same boat. I have no urge to pay a king's random for a card I can't get anyway. I'm quite set on keeping my 970 and riding this bullshit out.

But when you think about it, all this supply problems is going to set ray tracing back. Not going to become mainstream if nobody has it.

I'm in the same boat. I have no urge to pay a king's random for a card I can't get anyway. I'm quite set on keeping my 970 and riding this bullshit out.

But when you think about it, all this supply problems is going to set ray tracing back. Not going to become mainstream if nobody has it.
I agree, it's definitely going to hold things back, and make users like us keep using cards technically past their prime.

You know, all these previous gen cards going for a mint definitely helps keep down on e-waste, doesn't it? Trying to look for a silver lining here and that's about the best I can come up with.

Just so happens I have a 1060 6gb on my bench. I keep going back and forth to sell it, or hang onto it in case something happens to my 3070. heh

Better question is why not a RTX 3050 instead of the 1050Ti? The more people using these old cards the less likely you'll see games with Ray-Tracing.

Because a notional RTX 3050 would be another new design competing with all the other 30xx cards for not enough fab capacity from Samsung. The 1050 Ti is an old design made on an old process that presumably has spare capacity available.

It would be wise to keep it as a backup.
That's what I'm probably going to end up doing. Wife works form home on a crazy expensive Apple (not my choice) setup her work offered her. She ends up switching jobs that keeps her working from home, at least I have a GPU I can use to slap a system together.

I agree, it's definitely going to hold things back, and make users like us keep using cards technically past their prime.

You know, all these previous gen cards going for a mint definitely helps keep down on e-waste, doesn't it? Trying to look for a silver lining here and that's about the best I can come up with.

Yeah at least there's that. I normally keep my parts until they're really useless. General rule of thumb for me is I only upgrade when there's something I really want to play and my setup either is slow slow it's not playable or it just flat out won't run. I'm not everyone though. I did have to overclock my 970 just to make control playable. My monitors are pretty old. One is 1080p while the bigger one is the old resolution of 1920x1200. I can't upgrade if I wanted to. I'm not interested in buying a stopgap card to stagger me through a year. I would want a card to last at least 2 years at 1440p. This is unobtainable right now.

But then again I shouldn't complain. 2 boys in the house. Older one is getting close to 4 and our second was just born a week ago. I'd be kidding myself to say I have time for games.

Silver lining again?

Because a notional RTX 3050 would be another new design competing with all the other 30xx cards for not enough fab capacity from Samsung. The 1050 Ti is an old design made on an old process that presumably has spare capacity available.
There is also a significant chance they had a fairly large amount of old 1050ti’s on hand this is a great opportunity for NVidia to clear out some of those old warehouses of unsold stock. The fact that if they need to make more it’s on an uncontested node is just a bonus.

But then again I shouldn't complain. 2 boys in the house. Older one is getting close to 4 and our second was just born a week ago. I'd be kidding myself to say I have time for games.

Silver lining again?
Four hours of sleep. Adapt and overcome!

They must have determined that to be the 1050ti.
Yeah. Older process that won't compete with 3000 series (and everything else), not enough VRAM to be useful to miners, relatively small die meaning they can produce a lot more of them (and probably fewer defective units), etc., etc. Sucks for people who want a more powerful card, but makes a lot of sense. And there's a lot of other games out there that will play well enough. Minecraft, WoW, almost any indie game, etc.

I’m surprised I haven’t heard AMD making noise about a last hurrah for Polaris, but that’ll probably happen in the next few months too.
I snagged an ROG Zephyrus G14 with the 2060 last month and tried a few (non-AAA) games on the integrated graphics, and it's surprisingly good if you tone down the settings a bit.

I just picked up a low profile 1050Ti brand new off of Newegg a couple weeks ago for a decent price because I needed a new card for my old rig. Gave my old 1030 with DDR4 to my father. No regrets with this upgrade. It'll make a nice HTPC card eventually.

I kind of doubt a 1050ti can even play AAA titles
It totally can but not at max settings. For most people this is fine.
Microcenter has an MSI version for $214.99.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...ual-fan-4gb-gddr5-pcie-video-card?storeid=151
I can't believe how insane that is.
Honestly fuck MicroCenter. I hate that place. Every time there's huge demand for GPU's they raise their prices.
Because most people can't afford more than $200 for a graphics card. The $400+ GPU's are for the 1%.
Guess what's #2 on Steam? The 1050Ti.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/bestof2020?tab=1

For A lot of the most played game on 2020 on steam, a 1050ti could work or kind a work.

GTA5, among us, dota, life is strange, team fortress 2, life is strange, you can play PUBG at medium setting at 1080p with it and obviously MineCraft/Fortnight, civilization,

Not many if they would have a choice of card and wanted a card in particular would go for a 1050TI, but I do not imagine that the target audience (nor that many people can actually simply buy the card they want when they want one right now)

The miners are using bots to buy cards before consumers just like the scalpers did. So between the two, consumers get the scraps.

This has been a problem for six months. I’m out of pity for NVIDIA.
I was watching (this week's rerun of) 'The Full Nerd' yesterday...there was some discussion that pallets of GPUs are being sold directly to miners and are never making it to the retail channel at all. They never confirmed or denied the rumors, but discussed it as a likely possibility. Seems probably to me also...I find it hard to believe that availability is as poor as it is otherwise (even given the mining craze).

I was watching (this week's rerun of) 'The Full Nerd' yesterday...there was some discussion that pallets of GPUs are being sold directly to miners and are never making it to the retail channel at all. They never confirmed or denied the rumors, but discussed it as a likely possibility. Seems probably to me also...I find it hard to believe that availability is as poor as it is otherwise (even given the mining craze).
no, it's been confirmed. They have,

Convince the wife that you should take nap time with the new baby to bond with the baby and give her a break. Ensure that the chair at the PC rocks nicely. Game while baby naps - enjoy 2 years of gaming nap time.
Wireless headphones & a recliner ftw! My kids spent many a night snoozing on me whilst I was slaying monsters in the Witcher 3 when they were babies.

The main advantages of a 1050TI:
No PCI-E Power Cord
Can easily be low profile, and remain fairly quiet.
Yep. Basically, it's the best card (or maybe a 1650 non-Super) that you can stick in a Dell or HP, because they tend to have 200-250W power supplies.

Every time there's huge demand for GPU's they raise their prices.
I don't particularly like it either, but what would you have them do? Be like nobody else, not raise prices, and leave money on the table? They're being rational.

Note that during the last mining-based craze, they changed their pricing. "1080ti: 1 or 2 for $1000 each. 3+, $10,000 each"

I wonder if the MSI of the world do not simply mine with their own cards as well

I wouldn't mind one for a plex transcode card. At anywhere near $200, no thank you though.

weird choice. I get them trying to fill demand, but no one wants a 1050 ti.

Re-release a 1080 ti for $250ish and they'd probably print money. Hell I might even buy one for the racing rig. a 1050 ti? naaah.
yah.

"j/k my pascal friends. you can't find a 3080 to replace that anyway so keep it. "
-jensen

Yeah, seriously. No one wants a 1050 Ti.

I had one as a spare for a bit, and it was pretty crappy, even at the time. Now in 2021 it's a bad joke.

I could see the 1080 Ti being still decent today, and a valid upgrade choice for people on the 1060 or similar cards.

At least Nvidia is trying to do something, maybe this will please OEMs with shitty "gaming" builds, but I can't see too many people being excited about this.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/bestof2020?tab=1

For A lot of the most played game on 2020 on steam, a 1050ti could work or kind a work.

GTA5, among us, dota, life is strange, team fortress 2, life is strange, you can play PUBG at medium setting at 1080p with it and obviously MineCraft/Fortnight, civilization,

Not many if they would have a choice of card and wanted a card in particular would go for a 1050TI, but I do not imagine that the target audience (nor that many people can actually simply buy the card they want when they want one right now)

You know what else plays a lot of those games at 1080p medium settings?

A used PS3 or Xbox 360.

Reactions: Axman
like this
Back