NVIDIA Bans Reviewer for Concentrating on Rasterization Instead of Ray Tracing

My friend's son is trying to upgrade his 1060. His budget is max $400....is there any choise at 5700xt vs 3060Ti? He won't ever use RT. 3060Ti is probably the best rasterization performance at that price point. I still don't understand why Nvidia is being petty about this.
I'd focus more on what games the card is going to be used to play, and decide from there. If there is going to be more hours spent on games that have DLSS 2.0 support and you want the extra frames that brings.. I think it's an easy choice. Otherwise, it doesn't matter much. I agree though, I wouldn't buy anything less than a 3080 if wanting to do raytracing. Under that price point RT is just irrelevant IMO.

You chose Quake 2 to be your RTX centerpiece? We now know how many ways things can reflect on the color BROWNNNNN. Could you at least give us some UT2004, Quake 3, or even Return to Castle Wolfenstein?!

Wolfenstein's flame thrower could turn out really cool with ray-traced lighting and shadowing effects.
I'd also like to see Doom 3 fully raytraced. For all of the criticism levied against the gameplay, the lighting effects in that game are awesome as it is, but they break down on reflective surfaces. Shine the flashlight at a mirror or at a window and the light doesn't get reflected, and shadows off of reflective surfaces don't work. That game would have been a much better showcase for raytracing vs Quake 2.

He didnt even recomend the 6900xt and in their last Q and A both HW unboxed guys said they were running 3090's because they were the most powerful cards out right now. Just weird and stupid. Crap like this is why my last purchase was a 5700xt.

Not focusing on RT is one thing, but I couldn't help but feel perplexed that they are waiting for another video to discuss DLSS performance on Nvidia cards. Who in their right mind would not use DLSS 2.0? It's free performance and does not impact image quality.

Everyone saying “this won’t go over well with enthusiasts” - I have to ask, how many of you guys switched to AMD after nvidia pulled the same stunt with [H] after the GPP nonsense?
I did. I had the budget for a 2080 or thereabouts and went with a 5700 xt. [H] shutting down hit me pretty hard. HWUnboxed is one place that I have since discovered I can go to for unbiased information. One of two.

I'm pretty sure AMD has cut off reviewers in the past, under different regimes. This is par for the course as far as nVidia goes.

Report from Areej of Hardware Times

"Compared to NVIDIA, AMD has a much more neutral policy. For starters, you don’t get blacklisted for asking too many questions, positive or otherwise. Secondly, during NVIDIA’s briefings, the PR reps know exactly who’s asking the questions while AMD anonymizes them."

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidi...-our-own-story/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Wow that just plain sucks! You win some and you lose some - that's just the way it is. AMD has been in the lose some column for some time. Now that they are finally catching up (and winning in some to boot!), Nvidia is pulling a "taking my ball and going home" move? Seriously?

Not a good look, Jensen.

Last I checked RT was entirely optional - you could turn it on or off and the base game would still work with no issues. Raster ... well that's the entire game so it makes sense to focus the bulk of your attention on how well it does there. RT is just the cool fx on top if you happen to have the extra oomph to run it.

It's this kinda crap that makes me seriously want to reconsider buying certain brands sometimes.

Last edited:
I just picked up a 3090 today, against every bit of my being to spend that much on one. I almost bought one from a forum member but decided I better go with retail incase my wife murders me or I get cold feet, so I can return it.

Now I think I will just return it. I really can't stand nVidias antics. This is bullshit. I am going to try a few more times to score a 6900xt next week then this thing goes back I believe. Still deciding.

What, why? It's the top card right now. Who cares what the company does to a reviewer as long as their product is good?

Instead of returning it you might as well just sell it.

Last edited:
So if they built the card by enslaving children and raping their mothers you'd be ok with that? There is a line and some of us have different lines we won't cross.

No, I meant what they do to a reviewer. Granted it's a juvenile move from NVIDIA but the card still does what I want to do the fastest.

Wow, that's some serious bullshit.

Like, what do they expect reviewers who speak mainly to the gamer crowd to concentrate on? And what the heck are they even butthurt about it? Nvidia's card is still the fastest, and everyone is consistently saying that. What are they even whining about?

I've had a feeling that Nvidia was pushing RT hard on reviewers. They are acting like every game has RT / DLSS. They do not, FAR FAR from it. It makes no sense to treat RT/DLSS like it's everywhere when it's not. It's a nice feature sure, but a must have? No. I would prefer a solid 60 FPS over any eye candy.

Well if you like HUB you could just sent Nvidia a email letting them know that in the future if you choose to purchase a Nvidia GPU. It will be weeks past launch day because you will be waiting for your favorite sites unbiased review which you understand may take awhile as they don't have early access to product.

well you cup your reviewing hands around Nvidia's nut sac and ask "please may i have some more?" as they shovel their poo down your throat... now you act all surprised? lololol

Everyone saying “this won’t go over well with enthusiasts” - I have to ask, how many of you guys switched to AMD after nvidia pulled the same stunt with [H] after the GPP nonsense?

because as near as I can tell everyone was upset about it but still buying nvidia anyways.
I am switching now. I need an upgrade and it will not be NV for a variety of reasons.

Oh bullshit, it was a prime example of an ethics violation. He said he didn't give a shit what companies did as long as the product was good. I called that out and he clarified. I would say the post achieved its results. If you dont like it...report it.
Now you are further moving the goalposts and shifting blame around.

This will no doubt blow up in nVIDIA's face as the dying to be offended and those who are 247 looking to get the gold in the oppression Olympics rage and rant and cry. I am not surprised, Gamers Nexus doesn't name names from unethical emails,Steve Burke thinks it unethical. HU has a history of this. Either way nV is in the wrong,yet its there product and they can withhold all they want,no harm no foul.

yeah, people said that about the GPP fiasco too
https://hardforum.com/threads/nvidia-starts-disinformation-gpp-campaign.1958917/

And yet people still bought nvidia in droves. And this is what happens when one company control 70-ish % of the market, they can basically do anything they want and know people will still buy their products

I watched all of the recent HU reviews and what is funny is I thought they were being a bit harsh on the AMD offerings. What a dumb move by Nvidia. I am sure there are going to be a few folks like me going for the 6800xt over the 3080 now.

I only use Nvidia when the hardware i want does not have AMD option for video performance that I need from it.

yeah, people said that about the GPP fiasco too
https://hardforum.com/threads/nvidia-starts-disinformation-gpp-campaign.1958917/

And yet people still bought nvidia in droves. And this is what happens when one company control 70-ish % of the market, they can basically do anything they want and know people will still buy their products
^this. Generally speaking people don't care about a companies ethics at the point of sale. A company could use child labor sweatshops in china, club baby seals and no one cares. If it is the product is the fastest, coolest, best value, etc, people will buy it. There is a reason Nvidia has such a commanding market share. They have the fastest right now (and have for the past few generations).
My employer talks about production ethics, sustainability, social causes, etc all the time, and i am just like WHY? When people look at the products for purchase, the vast majority care about value, or performance. Corporate ethics is a bonus to put on a marketing slide.

I, personally, don't buy Nvidia. Not because of ethics, but because their OSS drivers are shit/non-existent.

I watched all of the recent HU reviews and what is funny is I thought they were being a bit harsh on the AMD offerings. What a dumb move by Nvidia. I am sure there are going to be a few folks like me going for the 6800xt over the 3080 now.
I decided to wait until after Christmas once all of the bots stop. It really was an either or thing but I hate with a burning passion monopoly abuse. Competition is required to prevent this type of thing.

if people didnt quit Nvidia after GPP, they wont after this.
What it is going to do:
I wont actively recommend an NVidia card nor justify their position in the gaming charts.
I will avoid saying anything that shows them in a good light.
My participation will be when I have a problem or helping others with problems.
They have done themselves a huge disservice, we stand against this crap.

This is very sad and I'm sad its necessary to have to do this!
(3090 owner)

It is a review sites JOB to cut through the marketing B.S. completely disregard the reviewers guide and test the product how people will actually be using it.

Review sites should never be an arm of Nvidia's or anyone elses marketing department. They are the people whose primary job it is to tear down the wall of carefully crafted marketing BS and expose what is behind it.

If they don't, they are just hardware fanboys and paid influencers and don't deserve to be called reviewers.

Bout damn time. Given the amount of shilling they do for AMD, Intel and Nvidia should've done this years ago! That channel doesn't even deserve a free i3 sample lol!

What it is going to do:
I wont actively recommend an NVidia card nor justify their position in the gaming charts.
I will avoid saying anything that shows them in a good light.
My participation will be when I have a problem or helping others with problems.
They have done themselves a huge disservice, we stand against this crap.

This is very sad and I'm sad its necessary to have to do this!
(3090 owner)
So, what did you think of the GPP? Just wondering as you are a 3090 owner?

Bout damn time. Given the amount of shilling they do for AMD, Intel and Nvidia should've done this years ago! That channel doesn't even deserve a free i3 sample lol!

Yes, because anyone holding a hardware company to account deserves to be cut off. Hardware news and reviewers should do nothing but serve as free marketing for the companies they cover, right? :rolleyes:

I despised it and was very vocal on these forums.
It was part of the reason I didnt upgrade my 1080ti until a few weeks ago.
I wont venture further, reasoning is in my last post.

I can't speak for Nenu, but I will speak to how I thought about the GPP issue.

I thought it was awful, it amounted to shitty anti-competitive and illegal business practices of the worst kind. (Intel would be envious, even they haven't done this in a while). The attempted coverup was amateurish and insulting to th epublich that they thought we would buy it. It was counter to free press, and it was a way to try to deceive their potential customers by keeping tech journalism from covering the truth. Nvidia deserved every bit of criticism they got for it. In fact, they deserved much much more.

That said, I still reluctantly continued to buy Nvidia GPU's because at the time there was no viable alternative from anyone else. I needed a GPU to help me power through 4K ultra settings at a minimum frame rate of 60fps, and nothing AMD or anyone else offered came even close.

I wish I had the option to vote with my wallet, but the truth is Nvidia until very recently had a monopoly in the high end. This gen may be the first I go AMD in over a decade. It all depends on what GPU becomes available and when.

I will bring to light all of the shitty things unethical companies like Nvidia and Intel do, any opportunity I get, but that does not mean that I can buy a product that doesn't meet my needs.

Last edited:
I can't speak for Nenu, but I will speak to how I thought about the GPP issue.

I thought it was awful, it was counter to free press, and it was a way to try to deceive their potential customers by keeping tech journalism from covering the truth. Nvidia deserved every bit of criticism they got for it. In fact, they deserved much much more.

That said, I still reluctantly continued to buy Nvidia GPU's because at the time there was no viable alternative from anyone else. I needed a GPU to help me power through 4K ultra settings at a minimum frame rate of 60fps, and nothing AMD or anyone else offered came even close.

I wish I had the option to vote with my wallet, but the truth is Nvidia until very recently had a monopoly in the high end. This gen may be the first I go AMD in over a decade. It all depends on what GPU becomes available and when.

I will bring to light all of the shitty things unethical companies like Nvidia and Intel do, any opportunity I get, but that does not mean that I can buy a product that doesn't meet my needs.
That is exactly what I am describing. You purchased based on value or performance. Nvidia, as despicable as they had been, had performance.

Now, AMD has value or performance and you are purchasing based on that. It makes it easier to justify the purchase because of Nvidia shenanigans but that is not the driving factor.
If the Radeon 6XXX series had been an absolute dud, I would guess you probably would have bought Nvidia again.
When the rubber hits the road, the corporate ethics point goes out the road in favor of value or performance.

And I'm not calling you out, I have bought intel many times after the anticompetitive BS they have pulled over the years.

IIRC, even Kyle has a 2080Ti and Nvidia was trying to fuck him after GPP story. ;) [H]arders are enthusiasts and we want performance over almost everything else.

I could see this if they literally did not cover RT and/or said it was useless or something. But in watching some of their content I didn't get that impression at all.

Not a good look, nVidia.

Back