Nvidia Announces the RTX 2060

Would be nice to see some 1070 and 1070ti prices drop in the near future with this announcement. $240 on the 1070, $270 on the 1070ti; could help get rid of that Pascal stock.

I'm sure this would of course help remove these from the shelves, but the 2060 performance difference isn't worth another $100. This will slow down the 2060 sales for sure.

My wife's machine still has a 6 or an 8 series card in it, so this is good news. Either this card (or the older models discounted because of it) should be ideal.

I'd imagine people wouldn't get the 2060 for ray tracing at all, just to acquire a more modern GPU...

I'd imagine people wouldn't get the 2060 for ray tracing at all, just to acquire a more modern GPU...

Bingo. IMO Nvidia has better driver improvements for the new stuff.
Not the sole reason to buy a new gpu, but when given the option I would go that route.

I sold the 980Ti for the same money to buy a 1070. Side grade but a bit more features overall i.e 8GB vram.

Last edited:
Note: the discussion link is missing from your front page.

If the 2060 is equal to or better than a 1070 ti then I hope it drives down the price of the latter card very soon. But I doubt it *sad face"

Benchmarks put it essentially on par with the 1070ti/Vega 56 and within sight of the 1080/Vega 64 at 1080p and 1440p. For $349 it's actually a solid alternative in that you get access to RTX/DLSS and the tensor cores, a lower 120W TDP and such. Downsides are the limited 6GB frame buffer and performance that falls apart at 4K compared to the other aforementioned cards.

With the limited supply of remaining 1070ti cards on the market, seeing them drop to the same $350 price point may not even happen. Even at $300 for a 1070ti, it'd still be a tough sell vs the $349 RTX 2060.

Seems like dubious value to me in that case, seeing as the money you are paying for Tensor Core silicon etc is just wasted.

Is the 2060 built on the same process as the 10X0 cards? if so, why bother with RTX at all? Gonna be crap performance. $350? LOL. Wait, am I being incoherent?

Nope that is exactly the point. Outside of ray tracing and dlss this offers precisely nothing over a 1080/1070ti.

Lets find out what this actually goes for retail shall we. I bet its closer to 400. And guess whats at 400 the AMD Vega 64 with more ram and horsepower. Lets go midrange... AMD.

While I like to be proven wrong, AMD really have no reason to price it so low as $250 if it performs better than 2060, if anything I see AMD bump it close to 300s (either high 200s or low 300s).
If AMD does that, is it anyone's wonder why AMD has no market share? With Intel AMD's pricing was smart, a $300 8 core CPU that performs very well, while Intel was asking like $1k for theirs. Intel is still asking for $500 but still that's a huge price different. But AMD's graphic cards are like $10 or $20 cheaper, which isn't going to thwart Nvidia. You want market share then you better lower those prices.

This is how everyone feels about these new prices.

fh57l3v.jpg

Lets find out what this actually goes for retail shall we. I bet its closer to 400. And guess whats at 400 the AMD Vega 64 with more ram and horsepower. Lets go midrange... AMD.

Indeed. When and how much are the custom AIB cards going to be? And will we see a GTX 1160 for the $200-250 price tier? The cynical side of me says no, any gtx 1160 will be mobile only. With the rumored multiple ram configurations for the 2060 (40 gigabyte models), that is where you will see Nvidia trying to compete at entry level tier. Which I guess entry level is now $350.

Ok AMD, show me what you got. (Rick and Morty reference - too lazy to put up the picture of the big head).
My self-imposed budget for my upcoming GPU is $400 max. I'm happy to spend less. I'm currently using a 970 (the system I'm using now, which includes the 970, is going to one of my kids). I'm hoping to get decent 1440 gaming performance. I don't care about ray tracing yet.

This is a $250 card at a $350 price. Lets call it the "RTX tax"

It's a 2060.
Should be around 250 surely.
Performance should go up a level with the price remaining similar to the outgoing card.
I'm sure that's how it used to work.

Am I the only one that is not distracted by the '60' in the name? All that Nvidia did was shift the naming line over. No doubt the GTX 2050ti will be much closer to $250.
This card is GTX 1070ti performance for $350. Why are so many here having such a hard time with this??

Only true while you need 6G or less of ram. Shdow of war is already approaching 5G and that isn't even with the super high-end texture pack. Didn't that come out like 1.5 years ago?

Shadow of War does completly fine with even 4 GB of VRam. It is able to use system ram effectively to "back up" the deficiency.

The only game so far to suffer with 6 GB at this performance level? ......

You guessed it - Wolfenstein II. We already saw that 4 GB was not enough on this game for lesser cards, such as the Fury X, so it is not suprisingy that 6 GB falls short on higher performance cards.

wolf 1.PNG

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13762/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-founders-edition-6gb-review/7

wolf 2.PNG

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-ray-tracing-turing,5960-4.html

This is a very specific scenario at I am guessing 6 GB will be enough for 99% of situations. The only other game that may suffer is the newest Forza Horizon shich saw a hit with lesser cards using 4 GB as well.

It will be interesting what they do with the GTX 2050ti. How much will that take a hit with 4 GB if performance is above the GTX 1060? It would be interesting to see if they release an 8 GB version of that card to battle the RX 580, but I am not sure if that is possible on a 128 bit bus.

Am I the only one that is not distracted by the '60' in the name? All that Nvidia did was shift the naming line over. No doubt the GTX 2050ti will be much closer to $250.
This card is GTX 1070ti performance for $350. Why are so many here having such a hard time with this??

It has to do with the price. If you wanted you could find a 1070ti at $350 with a couple games these past 2 months. With each new generation the performance increases with each tier, yes even the lower end/mainstream. Instead you have rtx, which is near unusable at this tier (and I would argue useless for the 2070 as well) so that leave you with DLSS, with only 6Gb vs 8 for the 1070ti, all costing the same price as the previous gen. Their hot new card is more or less the same as a last gen part.
Anyways, it looks like sapphire officially has dropped prices on vega 56 and 64 https://www.legitreviews.com/sapphire-announces-price-cuts-for-amd-radeon-rx-vega-cards_210060
I assume others will follow. Wednesday will be interesting for AMD

Last edited:
I am shook, $350 is the new mid-range? Bless you Nvidia, don't ever change.

It has to do with the price. If you wanted you could find a 1070ti at $350 with a couple games these past 2 months. With each new generation the performance increases with each tier, yes even the lower end/mainstream. Instead you have rtx, which is near unusable at this tier (and I would argue useless for the 2070 as well) so that leave you with DLSS, with only 6Gb vs 8 for the 1070ti, all costing the same price as the previous gen. Their hot new card is more or less the same as a last gen part.
Anyways, it looks like sapphire officially has dropped prices on vega 56 and 64 https://www.legitreviews.com/sapphire-announces-price-cuts-for-amd-radeon-rx-vega-cards_210060
I assume others will follow. Wednesday will be interesting for AMD

Right now the cheapest GTX 1070ti I see is $440 on the egg. Granted, there may have been special deals, but that is not the current asking price.

Those Vega prices are very competitive!

Right now the cheapest GTX 1070ti I see is $440 on the egg. Granted, there may have been special deals, but that is not the current asking price.

Those Vega prices are very competitive!

Time will tell if they have another fire sale of 1070-70ti cards but there were enough deals that make this $349 price a joke. Explains why Nvidia kept the gtx 1060 cards inflated for most of the holiday sales though.

If I needed a card right now it would be a vega 64. Nvidia is still too high, in more ways than one. Yes pun intended.

I am shook, $350 is the new mid-range? Bless you Nvidia, don't ever change.

Really not that much considering what you get. I remember paying $300 back in 2001 for a Geforce 2 GTS 32MB.

So...why would I buy this card over a vega64 at $400? Isn't the vega64 going to be faster & compatible with more VRR monitors? If I already head a g-sync monitor I think I'd pop another $100 for a RTX 2070...I think if we see street price fall to like $279-$299 it would be a much better "mid range" card.

If it does the Vee-Arrs well enough I am actually considering this upgrade.

1070ti is on sale for $360 right now.

The point is, we expect huge performance bumps after 2.5 years, at the same price. We expect the last gen to depreciate. After 2.5 years, they're just milking Pascal at this point and using Pascal as a baseline price point.

So it is not unreasonable to expect a 2060 at $250.

The way the 2060 is priced is like saying (with exaggeration).... well, the gtx980 was $700, and the 2060 is faster, so let's price the 2060 at $800. But the 980 is obsolete, just as the gtx1060 is outdated.

While I like to be proven wrong, AMD really have no reason to price it so low as $250 if it performs better than 2060, if anything I see AMD bump it close to 300s (either high 200s or low 300s).

See you here tomorrow :)

Really not that much considering what you get. I remember paying $300 back in 2001 for a Geforce 2 GTS 32MB.

and i remember paying $5000 for a 286.

come on now. You're being too nice to uber rich nvidia.

See you here tomorrow :)
Gonna be an interesting day tomorrow for sure. If AMD gives me Vega 56-64 kind of performance for $250, then my nephew this year will receive a very nice upgrade this year.

I hope AMD have a good showing in CES, been a snooze fest so far from other vendors.

and i remember paying $5000 for a 286.

come on now. You're being too nice to uber rich nvidia.

Not intended to be nice or mean, just pointing out perspective, something a lot of people don't use these days.

Gonna be an interesting day tomorrow for sure. If AMD gives me Vega 56-64 kind of performance for $250, then my nephew this year will receive a very nice upgrade this year.

I hope AMD have a good showing in CES, been a snooze fest so far from other vendors.

I don't know about "Snooze fest"...That LG rollable TV is pretty sweet, as is the announcement from Samsung and LG that their 2019 sets will support HDMI 2.1 (and with VRR!). I am also pretty stoked about that microLED 75" from Samsung ("The Window")...which can be expanded in size later. That seems like a pretty sweet concept, even if the tech isn't QUITE ready for retail yet. JVCs new 4k native projectors are also looking pretty sweet.

On the negative side...if I hear about ONE more "Google Assistant" or "Alexa" enabled product, I think I am gonna lose it! :)

I don't know about "Snooze fest"...That LG rollable TV is pretty sweet, as is the announcement from Samsung and LG that their 2019 sets will support HDMI 2.1 (and with VRR!). I am also pretty stoked about that microLED 75" from Samsung ("The Window")...which can be expanded in size later. That seems like a pretty sweet concept, even if the tech isn't QUITE ready for retail yet. JVCs new 4k native projectors are also looking pretty sweet.

On the negative side...if I hear about ONE more "Google Assistant" or "Alexa" enabled product, I think I am gonna lose it! :)

The Microled is pretty sweet but don't think it will be ready for primetime in 2019. Maybe I am just getting old and it just becoming harder to wow me.

No announcement for RX580 replacement, guess we have to wait until Computex, but Vega VII announcement. $699 for 1080Ti performance, a bit disappointed with that pricing.

The Microled is pretty sweet but don't think it will be ready for primetime in 2019. Maybe I am just getting old and it just becoming harder to wow me.

No, the microLED isn't going to be for sale this year...maybe next? Still some amazing improvements on the technology over what they were showing just last year!

No announcement for RX580 replacement, guess we have to wait until Computex, but Vega VII announcement. $699 for 1080Ti performance, a bit disappointed with that pricing.

Um RX590 was released just a couple months ago. Navi stuff looks like it's not ready QUITE yet. Then again, you should start seeing price drops on Vega56 and 64 cards with the new Radeon 7 coming!

Um RX590 was released just a couple months ago. Navi stuff looks like it's not ready QUITE yet. Then again, you should start seeing price drops on Vega56 and 64 cards with the new Radeon 7 coming!
I don't think it will depress Vega 56 or Vega 64 any further since you can pick up Vega 64 for $399 during a Newegg sales or Vega 56 for $360, those prices are getting too close to RX 590. But yea, looks like Computex for Navi unless AMD holds a separate event between CES and Computex.

Back