Nvidia Announces the RTX 2060

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
At CES, Nvidia officially unveiled the GeForce RTX 2060. The new card comes with 6GB of GDDR6 memory running at 14 Gbps on a 192-bit bus, and 1920 CUDA running at a maximum of 1680Mhz, just like the rumor mill predicted this time around. The whole card has a TDP of 160W at stock speeds, and fully supports RTX ray tracing. Nvidia claims the new GPU is almost 60% faster than its predecessor, the GTX 1060, and that it "beats the gameplay of the GeForce GTX 1070 TI." The RTX 2060 set to hit the shelves on January 15 with a $349 MSRP, which is significantly cheaper than retail 1070 TIs now, assuming it's actually available at that price. Nvidia also mentions that the card ships with 240 enabled Tensor Cores that are good for " 52 teraflops of deep learning horsepower," making this card a relative bargain for the machine learning crowd.

Check out the launch video here.

The RTX 2060 will be available beginning Jan. 15 in systems built by Acer, Alienware, Dell, HP and Lenovo, as well as by leading system builders worldwide. Custom boards, including stock-clocked and factory-overclocked models, will also available starting Jan. 15 from top add-in card providers, including ASUS, Colorful, EVGA, Gainward, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Innovision 3D, MSI, Palit, PNY and Zotac. A stock-clocked RTX 2060 Founders Edition board - designed and built by NVIDIA - will also be available on that date.

Going just by what was in the OP, if it's 'slightly faster than a 1070ti', then it's about on par with a 1080. Which is nice, because the 1060 was about on par with the 980 IIRC. So that trend at least is keeping up.

Looks like, after looking at a couple reviews, there's no reason to buy a 2070 anymore, unless there's some unknown RTX effects coming down the pipeline. An OC'd 2060 = a stock 2070 = 1080 at $350 (if you can find it at that price). Worth it.

If actually available at 349 could this be a legit performance value for the money card from Nvidia!?

I’m all about holding the flame under them for all their shit in the last year and previously even.

BUT. Used 1080 for 350ish
Used 1070ti for 300
New 2070 for 500 or less
New 2060 for 350.

If the 6g of memory isn’t a huge hit seems pretty compelling. Is the 15% performance loss vs the 2070 worth the 100-150 in savings? Interesting.

Going just by what was in the OP, if it's 'slightly faster than a 1070ti', then it's about on par with a 1080. Which is nice, because the 1060 was about on par with the 980 IIRC. So that trend at least is keeping up.
Only true while you need 6G or less of ram. Shdow of war is already approaching 5G and that isn't even with the super high-end texture pack. Didn't that come out like 1.5 years ago?

This is a good business move assuming their game plan is to remove the "used 1070 - 1080 are a better value" argument. Now you can get a similar performing new card for the price of the prior used ones.

It doesn't help the mid range gpu buyers at all, but maybe $350 is the new midrange?

This is all AMD's fault for letting Nvidia get so far ahead. AMD needs to get a high end competitive product out or else this situation of ridiculously high priced video cards will remain. Also, this is a lesson in how monopolies / duopolies work inevitably to the consumer's disadvantage.

This is a good business move assuming their game plan is to remove the "used 1070 - 1080 are a better value" argument. Now you can get a similar performing new card for the price of the prior used ones.

It doesn't help the mid range gpu buyers at all, but maybe $350 is the new midrange?

Depends what AMD does at this point.

Yeah $350 is not what I would consider midrange. But maybe they'll announce an 1160 like some of the rumors suggested or maybe they'll just keep selling 1050 ti's and 1060's for a while yet. If AMD is going to announce some small inexpensive Vega II parts, this would be the time. Should be interesting to hear what else gets announced this week.

Not really. For one the 2060 cards were $200 to $250 and now this $350 is out of many peoples price range. People aren't going to spend $100 more just to stick with the X060 branding. The other problem is that Ray Tracing on something that weak might not be the best feature to include. The other... other problem is that AMD is going to announce stuff in CES like this week and next week. Nvidia just handing AMD the perfect moment to screw them over, unless Nvidia knows something about AMD that we don't.

I honestly an wondering if nvidia is using the same chip as the 2070 but a lower quality and flashed with a different bios, not to mention ram.

I wonder how long until a company puts 8gigs of 256 bit memory on one. I'm betting it won't be too long.

To be honest this card sounds like it was built for the Chinese market. They see all kinds of weird cards from nvidia...just check out AliExpress.

I think that the new cars from AMD are going to destroy the 2060 price and performance wise.

Would be nice to see some 1070 and 1070ti prices drop in the near future with this announcement. $240 on the 1070, $270 on the 1070ti; could help get rid of that Pascal stock.

Only true while you need 6G or less of ram. Shdow of war is already approaching 5G and that isn't even with the super high-end texture pack. Didn't that come out like 1.5 years ago?

I am getting like 9gig used on my 2080ti in Blackout.

It did come out that long about but at what resolution and level of AA are you needing 6GB? The x060 isn't usually targeted at people running beyond 1080p maybe 1200p but certainly not 2160P. I believe 6GB will be fine for 1080p until the card is semi obsolete in five years.

Is the 2060 built on the same process as the 10X0 cards? if so, why bother with RTX at all? Gonna be crap performance. $350? LOL. Wait, am I being incoherent?

Are you still believing anything nvidia says about pricing?

I like Linus Tech Tips intro to the RTX 2060. It's funny cause it's true.

It did come out that long about but at what resolution and level of AA are you needing 6GB? The x060 isn't usually targeted at people running beyond 1080p maybe 1200p but certainly not 2160P. I believe 6GB will be fine for 1080p until the card is semi obsolete in five years.

It's gtx 1070 (Ti) performance level & IIRC that is recommended for 1440p in Shadow of War. I sure wouldn't buy a $350-$400 video card for 1080p...

Depends what AMD does at this point.

AMD hasn't tried to significantly undercut Nvidia pricing since Lisa Su took over. If AMD does release something, I would expect their price to performance to be inline with Nvidia's. It may be a bit better, but I doubt you will see 2060 performance for ~$100-150 less anymore.

Not really. For one the 2060 cards were $200 to $250 and now this $350 is out of many peoples price range. People aren't going to spend $100 more just to stick with the X060 branding. The other problem is that Ray Tracing on something that weak might not be the best feature to include. The other... other problem is that AMD is going to announce stuff in CES like this week and next week. Nvidia just handing AMD the perfect moment to screw them over, unless Nvidia knows something about AMD that we don't.

I didn't say it was a good deal for consumers. It's an effective counter to "used gtx 1080 is a better value" that was all over review sites. Any reasonable person knows RTX is overpriced, I'm just looking at it from Nvidia's PoV.

$350. Thats not a good spot for the mainstream segment. Nvidia is doing a good job of making sure the 2nd hand market for their last generation will be thriving for a while.

This is all AMD's fault for letting Nvidia get so far ahead. AMD needs to get a high end competitive product out or else this situation of ridiculously high priced video cards will remain. Also, this is a lesson in how monopolies / duopolies work inevitably to the consumer's disadvantage.

AMD is going to announce a $250 card that will kick this things ass. AMD doesn't need to release a "2080ti" killer to compete, most of the market is sub $500 anyway.

I just wonder what the point is of an RTX card at this performance level.

I don't think real time raytracing will take off until we can get 1080p 60fps performance at about the $349 price point.

AMD is going to announce a $250 card that will kick this things ass. AMD doesn't need to release a "2080ti" killer to compete, most of the market is sub $500 anyway.

While I like to be proven wrong, AMD really have no reason to price it so low as $250 if it performs better than 2060, if anything I see AMD bump it close to 300s (either high 200s or low 300s).

I just wonder what the point is of an RTX card at this performance level.

I don't think real time raytracing will take off until we can get 1080p 60fps performance at about the $349 price point.

Maybe using low RTX settings while gaming at 1080p, while I haven't seen any review of it yet, I have my doubts it will perform well enough in low settings.

It's a 2060.

Should be around 250 surely.

Performance should go up a level with the price remaining similar to the outgoing card.

I'm sure that's how it used to work.

Woof, some of the reviews I have watched are bagging on the card and it seems to be a mixed bag on the card.

But here is where I am confused: many of the reviews keep talking about the xx60 cards and seem like they are comparing this 2060 card to them (1060 specifically). But when they get to showing benchmark numbers they are comparing the 2060 to a 1070. Should they not be comparing 1060 benchies? :confused:

It's a 2060.

Should be around 250 surely.

Performance should go up a level with the price remaining similar to the outgoing card.

I'm sure that's how it used to work.

While I am sure a lot of people would like that price, you have to remembered when the GTX 1060 6GB version came out, the retail pricing was $299.

Back