NVIDIA Announces The New Titan X

I always put QDCs on my gpu for this reason. It makes working on them easy, well easy enough. You're more likely to pull the gpus than the cpu in general use. Also, I'm not big on assembly with the card in the slot and you're more likely to fubar something with such little room to work with.

3Q9e3Lfm.jpg

Considering how many times I've had to tear down my loop just to upgrade a video card or something of that nature over the years, I really should have invested in QDCs. Do you find that they work generally OK?

What I meant was that I might not have room to install the backplate without taking the loop apart. It sounds like I can slip the backplate on carefully without removing the block or the GPU from the case, however, so I might give that a try.

Quick disconnects are nice but I am cheap about fittings. :p

Considering how many times I've had to tear down my loop just to upgrade a video card or something of that nature over the years, I really should have invested in QDCs. Do you find that they work generally OK?

I wouldn't do it w/o QDCs at this point. Don't get black QDCs though, the finish wears off on them and the black paint floats in your loop, sometimes clogging the QDC itself.

I figured out I could prefill the block with the QDCs too. Prefilling certainly cuts down on bleeding time when you have to crack open a block or do other service.

What I meant was that I might not have room to install the backplate without taking the loop apart. It sounds like I can slip the backplate on carefully without removing the block or the GPU from the case, however, so I might give that a try.

Quick disconnects are nice but I am cheap about fittings. :p

The irony, in respect to 1.2k gpus lol. But ya know, you only pay for fittings once and keep them for life.

The irony, in respect to 1.2k gpus lol. But ya know, you only pay for fittings once and keep them for life.
If I posted how much I've spent on my car this year it would sound even worse... lol. But hey, I try not to waste money, and I don't crack open my loop very often (mostly never, unless something breaks) so it seemed like an expense I could avoid.

When did you order the block? I am ready to order, but man end of August seems sooo far away for delivery :)

I ordered it maye a week and a half ago? They weren't supposed to be shipped until tomorrow, but apparently shipped early.

Shipping from Slovenia is surprisingly quick, don't let shipping times turn you off.

^^So nice, congrats on getting yer block. There's something about getting new EK blocks, love it each time like its the first.

On a side note, citicards had a brain fart and the fraud detection set off and declined the charge lol. Now I gotta play the refresh game again but I lucked out and this time used my debit card. Can't trust the fraud detection on credit cards sometimes.

^^So nice, congrats on getting yer block. There's something about getting new EK blocks, love it each time like its the first.

On a side note, citicards had a brain fart and the fraud detection set off and declined the charge lol. Now I gotta play the refresh game again but I lucked out and this time used my debit card. Can't trust the fraud detection on credit cards sometimes.

Seems like a popular event with this card. I laugh every time I read about it happening to someone. "No way anyone can afford this card!" I imagine red spinning fraud alarms going off.

So I ordered the wrong block (Copper Acetal instead of Nickel Acetal), and was wondering if anyone looking to buy the CA block would be willing to order the NA instead so I could swap out with them. I figure it would be cheaper for me to pay both ways on that deal rather than ship the thing back to Europe.

Edit: This crisis has been resolved, thanks to Neon01.

Last edited:
If I posted how much I've spent on my car this year it would sound even worse... lol. But hey, I try not to waste money, and I don't crack open my loop very often (mostly never, unless something breaks) so it seemed like an expense I could avoid.
The tab on my car so far this year is $3k. Probably going to be another $2k before the year is over :eek:. All of this was already in my budget, anyway. Video card, car upgrades... you know, the essential things in life.

Gracias!

I spent six hours on my build in my non-air-conditioned basement during a heat wave last night. I didn't even get to installing the blocks. I was waiting to start my build until I had all the parts, to minimize downtime, but had I known how long this would take, I would have started sooner :p

I'm documenting it here kind of hoping that some of you with more water cooling experience will jump in and stop me if I'm about to make a mistake :p

Side note, Dremels with grinding wheels at 10krpm on sheet metal are effing loud!

That stinks. Is this for the card or the block?

For the block I can see it, a sudden charge from eastern Europe can trigger all kinds of alarms. For the GPU, that seems silly.

I have to say, the Pascal Titan X is the first video card I have cracked open where the manufacturer didn't use excessive paste.

IMG_20160816_194822.jpg

The instructions that came with my EK water block are incorrect. It says to remove the circled hex screws on the back of the card. ALL screws on the back of the card had to be removed in order for the stock cooler to come off, including the 4 that were not circled.

Got my block yesterday, leaving work early today just to get home and install the block. If everything goes smooth I should have my system up and running sometime this evening :)

Nice!

God knows what's happened to my order; put in at the beginning on the month, got an alert last week that the block's in stock, then, nothing. Order still processing apparently.

Did you order the backplate with it?

Nice!

God knows what's happened to my order; put in at the beginning on the month, got an alert last week that the block's in stock, then, nothing. Order still processing apparently.

Could be that different SKU's are ready at different times. Which one did you order? I got the nickel plated black acetal.

G
That's true too. If you put them in the same order, the order will be on hold until all parts are available. The backplate isn't supposed to ship until end of the month.

Yep, exactly why I split my order up. Have the block already because I went this route. The backplate is an easy slap-on without upsetting the loop when it arrives at the end of the month.

G

Yep, exactly why I split my order up. Have the block already because I went this route. The backplate is an easy slap-on without upsetting the loop when it arrives at the end of the month.

Agreed. That is what I did too.

I think I should be able to slide it in and attach it easily without even removing the GPU from the slot.

IMG_20160816_231430.jpg

(Disclaimer, not complete build yet, still have to fill, connect all wires and install the last fan.)

Got the block installed and did some leak testing. Just some quick numbers, I got the core up to 2088, with a temp of 33C with a room temp of 21C with rad fans on lowest setting. I know I could get higher if I had voltage control. Hopefully a new version of afterburner will be out soon. Also, don't mind the clutter, I'm waiting for the back plate to show.

Got the block installed and did some leak testing. Just some quick numbers, I got the core up to 2088, with a temp of 33C with a room temp of 21C with rad fans on lowest setting. I know I could get higher if I had voltage control. Hopefully a new version of afterburner will be out soon. Also, don't mind the clutter, I'm waiting for the back plate to show.

Wow, awesome numbers on stock voltage! I plan to do the same with mine. Looks like a 900D, is it? If not, it's damn similar.

Correct! 900D, love all the room the case offers.

Quick question, in GPU-Z in the PerfCap Tab, I get "VRel", which means " Limited by reliability voltage". What do that mean?

Last edited:
Did you order the backplate with it?

No for the specific reason of getting it sooner!

Could be that different SKU's are ready at different times. Which one did you order? I got the nickel plated black acetal.

Pure copper + plexi top. That's most likely it, ironically, as even though they all start out as bare copper, it's the least popular variety so the queue is longer I guess. It's the cheapest, so go figure. :rolleyes:

I wasn't even cheaping out though, that's the version I want more than the nickel shiny that's all the rage now. All my EK nickel blocks have corroded and turned to shit in the past. I'll posts some pics of those tomorrow, rather hilarious...

Just got my son's 2 Titan X pascals in. Installed one to see if it will play games on max. The monitor is a Benq 1440p 144hz. If not we will pop the other one in. He is hoping they come out with 4K 144hz monitors soon.
That would be sweet.
So now I have sli 980TI's. :)

Just got my son's 2 Titan X pascals in. Installed one to see if it will play games on max. The monitor is a Benq 1440p 144hz. If not we will pop the other one in. He is hoping they come out with 4K 144hz monitors soon.
That would be sweet.
So now I have sli 980TI's. :)
This... seems backwards.

He paid for them. Not me. No way I would spend that much. HAHA! I am a cheap bastard.

You sound like my father lol.

His computer was my last one, and when his 570 died, I had to 'transplant' one of my 970's over to his.

It doesn't matter if we get voltage control, the card will just run into the power limit quicker, negating any real clock speed gains. If you want to push the card further you either need to wait for BIOS modding or do the shunt mod like Vega did.

It doesn't matter if we get voltage control, the card will just run into the power limit quicker, negating any real clock speed gains. If you want to push the card further you either need to wait for BIOS modding or do the shunt mod like Vega did.

Yeah.

The shunt mod is a little too far for me. I'm hoping BIOS modding comes soon. What does that depend on anyway? Community bios editors and flashing tools?

Nice!

Did you do a baseline with the stock cooler? How much of an improvement did you get on water? Those temps are awesome, btw. I'm hoping for similar results. What kind of radiator capacity do you have in there. The one 480mm rad, or is there more we can't see from that shot?

I'm still working on mine. I'm building my first loop, and installing everything for the first time in my case, so it's been taking some time.

Decided to flush it with Sysprep (because it came with my tubing for free). When i get home this evening, I'll be draining the sysprep, flushing it with distilled water to get as much of it as possible out, and then filling it back up with my coolant, leak testing some more, and doing case gymnastics to get the air out. After that I have to reflow my Indigo Extreme on my CPU, and then, FINALLY, I'll be able to get some GPU results.

I'm just dreading that I'll hit the power button when I am finally ready, and nothing will come on :p

img_20160817_205236-jpg.6817

Last edited:
Yeah.

The shunt mod is a little too far for me. I'm hoping BIOS modding comes soon. What does that depend on anyway? Community bios editors and flashing tools?
Yes, the community has to do the work. People are having trouble dumping the Pitan BIOS, though. Once it's dumped users go to work analyzing the file to see what addresses map to what functionality.

There might be progress. A user posted an unsigned BIOS in the nvflash thread at Overclock and another user is analyzing it.

[Official] NVFlash with certificate checks bypassed for GTX 950/960/970/980/980Ti/Titan X - Page 70

You sound like my father lol.

His computer was my last one, and when his 570 died, I had to 'transplant' one of my 970's over to his.

My stepson gets my hand-me-downs.

He's currently rocking a FX-8350 (my old server) with 16GB of RAM and an original Kepler Titan from 2013 I used until I went 4k last year. Not bad at 1080p.

At only 8 years old, he's a lucky kid.

Last edited:
Back