NVIDIA Announces The New Titan X

Funniest part is, there's a hugely cost effective alternative to the Pascal lineup from nVidia ; maxwell cards! Used ones in particular.

If you're complaining about prices go buy a used or discounted 980ti, there was a point just after Pascal announcement where I could have sold my 980ti on one day, and bought another on the next day, making like 250 Euro profit

$1200 Fucking Dollars? I used to have SAP written across my forehead and always bought the highest end GPU....Not so fast anymore....

Sorry dude you dropped this sticky with the word "SAP" written on it, I'll just put it back on your forehead.... there you go good as new!

I've hear the phrase "using our wallets" on this forum and other places virtually every day. It's one thing to not buy a product because it's not good, it's another when it's the best at what it is and there's no alternative. All you're telling people is to not buy the best because you think it's too expensive. Ok, got that. Ok, it's too expensive. Now what? By cheaper and much slower cards? Ok, got that. Vote your wallet and buy a 480 instead of the new Titan X.

Except no one that has $1200 dollars to spend on a GPU is going to by a 480. And that's the problem with what you're saying.

Ummm, I think you got your quotes and usernames mixed up.

Their bitter tears are my bidet. The irony is that here we are on an ENTHUSIAST forum and yet this tantruming ensues with every new Titan iteration. Peasants failing to accept their peasant status, bitching about an enthusiast class part being "overpriced" and a "rip off".

17tcn7.jpg

Wow! Want to go below the belt with what kinda money someone makes or their status? You must be a Trump supporter. The irony is that this is indeed an Enthusiast forum. Funny how talk about RX480 and GTX1060 are included on these forums as well. Thanks, I didn't know they were Enthusiast level too!

The price of video cards has always been rising. You are saying things that get said with every single new generation of video cards. It's not new to anyone here but you.

Read through this thread if you want to see just how much things are the way they always have been.
Edit: and as a followup, this thread. :D

Yes, my bad. It's true it's most likely said every generation, and I've never batted an eye before myself as I was a former lemming. I did buy the 8800GTX as well as others on day one. Now that I have both eyes open, I see things differently, I said my piece and I'm done.

The irony is that here we are on an ENTHUSIAST forum and yet this tantruming ensues with every new Titan iteration. Unenthusiasts complaining about an enthusiast class part being "overpriced" and a "rip off".

17tcn7.jpg

Being an enthusiast doesn't mean being a sucker. If shit is overpriced, it's overpriced. Is this overpriced? Hard to say, but I doubt it's going to be a comparable price/perf ratio with the 1080. But it's the top card, it's the fastest single card, and to some people that is worth the premium, I guess.

Still, there is no need to insult people who feel this is a rip-off. I think someone said it best when they said you used to be able to get an ultra-end GPU for $400, and that wasn't even that long ago. The price increase has not been proportionate to inflation or market forces. I'm sure it has a lot to do with AMD's lack of competition, though...

Being an enthusiast doesn't mean being a sucker. If shit is overpriced, it's overpriced. Is this overpriced? Hard to say, but I doubt it's going to be a comparable price/perf ratio with the 1080. But it's the top card, it's the fastest single card, and to some people that is worth the premium, I guess.

Still, there is no need to insult people who feel this is a rip-off. I think someone said it best when they said you used to be able to get an ultra-end GPU for $400, and that wasn't even that long ago. The price increase has not been proportionate to inflation or market forces. I'm sure it has a lot to do with AMD's lack of competition, though...

True, but also makes no sense to complain about the price of PItan. If Pitan wasn't expensive, it wouldn't be Pitan. Expensive is relative, are we drawing the line at precisely 1000+? A 980Ti was expensive, so was a Fury X. What's the sense in complaining this is expensive. it's four 'card tiers' (x70,x80,x80ti, titan) above the best performing product in AMD's new lineup. You can complain that a card is expensive compared to its competitor in the performance bracket, this has no competitor. Neither do 1070 and 1080.

I never owned a Commodore, but I used all my friends C64's back in the day.

My first computer of my own was an 8Mhz 286 with 1MB of RAM and a 20MB hard drive

Looser, mine did 12Mhz :-p

And that extra epeen was worth all that extra cash too.

I was not expecting this to be launched so soon.

I may have to switch my recently acquired 1080 for one of these. A single 1080 is still not fast enough for 4k, and I have no desire to ever do SLI/Crossfire again.
This is exactly how I feel right now.
Ill return the 1080 and buy a Pitan X. Or I could sell the Mitan X and save some more money for the Pitan X.
Decisions Decisions... Truthfully I do not need this card, but I want it.

Looser, mine did 12Mhz :-p

And that extra epeen was worth all that extra cash too.

Mine DID 12Mhz too, after I moved some jumpers around, but it was sold as an 8Mhz. Don't get many 50% overclocks anymore. It was my second highest ocerclock by percentage. Years later my 486 sx25 was able to hit 50mhz. 100% overclock baby.

And all it took was adding a wimpy little hsf. It didn't have a heatsink or fan stock.

Last edited:

You don't seem to get it. By your use of phrases such as "being a sucker", and "rip-off", you're inadvertently implying that there's an established 'fair' price. But, fair to who? You or nvidia's shareholders?

You don't seem to get it. By your use of phrases such as "being a sucker", and "rip-off", you're inadvertently implying that there's an established 'fair' price. But, fair to who? You or nvidia's shareholders?

I do get it, it appears you did not. What I'm saying is that "being an enthusiast" doesn't mean just throwing gobs of money at something because OMG SHINY MUST BUY. If you have the money to blow on a $1200 GPU, great, more power to you. Don't imply I'm not an enthusiast because I don't think spending that much money on a GPU is a good value.

If you are spending $1200 on a video card, you are not going to be confused about what you are getting.
then explain why I can sell a dual core 1.7Ghz 2011 Alienware on eBay for $350 all day long even though an equitable dell or Hp would be less than $100. I'm quite sure some folk will see Titan and drop their tax return money on the "best" card not realizing there are multiple variants.

then explain why I can sell a dual core 1.7Ghz 2011 Alienware on eBay for $350 all day long even though an equitable dell or Hp would be less than $100. I'm quite sure some folk will see Titan and drop their tax return money on the "best" card not realizing there are multiple variants.
Does that really matter though?

Are you as passionate for fast food workers who make minimum wage with hardly any benefits and they work for shareholders who are making a shit load of money as well?

Absolutely not because:

A) You didn't read the part that the shareholders are regular people and they really AREN"T making a shitload of money. McDonalds has had a pretty unremarkable track record and trades at a 24.65 PE which basically means a 4% return if you were to buy it today. Which you have the option of. Anyone can open a brokerage account with as little as $20 and if you were to save $138 you could buy 1 share of MCD.

B) Fast food workers are completely unskilled labor. What they get paid should be representative of how rare the talent is for a given job. Since anyone can do the job, the pay is low. Similarly to how Lebron James gets paid a fuckload of money, it's because few people can do what he does.

C) Fast food worker should be a transitory job that teaches you above all other things that working in fast food sucks and you should learn a worthwhile skill instead. People who want to "make a living" doing fast food are either a first generation immigrant trying to make sure their kid has a better life, someone who was failed by our public school system which is rigged to keep people poor, or a fucking idiot.

Absolutely not because:

A) You didn't read the part that the shareholders are regular people and they really AREN"T making a shitload of money. McDonalds has had a pretty unremarkable track record and trades at a 24.65 PE which basically means a 4% return if you were to buy it today. Which you have the option of. Anyone can open a brokerage account with as little as $20 and if you were to save $138 you could buy 1 share of MCD.

B) Fast food workers are completely unskilled labor. What they get paid should be representative of how rare the talent is for a given job. Since anyone can do the job, the pay is low. Similarly to how Lebron James gets paid a fuckload of money, it's because few people can do what he does.

C) Fast food worker should be a transitory job that teaches you above all other things that working in fast food sucks and you should learn a worthwhile skill instead. People who want to "make a living" doing fast food are either a first generation immigrant trying to make sure their kid has a better life, someone who was failed by our public school system which is rigged to keep people poor, or a fucking idiot.
It should at a minimum pay for basic things though.

The big pascal sounds nice but I think I might be more tempted by picking up a second 1080FE (FSFT) and going SLI.

One things for sure. There are a lot less who can buy a top of the line card today than 10 years ago. 1200$ for a single gpu card is over priced for what it does. I dont care how much money someone makes. Its still just a freaken video card. The only people I see buying this are those that have vast amounts of disposable income who dont give a shit if its money well spent or not and then there are those who will spend their mortgage payment on this thing LOL. I have no issues with how people spend their money. Ive spent too much as well for something I really wanted so I can understand. Still, a 1200$ videocard to play games on the PC ?

But then again who am I kidding, I spent 980$ cad for my 980ti and another 900 for my acer pred 1440p gsync mon. Im just as guilty of over paying for shit as the next guy but I can still admit it LOL

One things for sure. There are a lot less who can buy a top of the line card today than 10 years ago. 1200$ for a single gpu card is over priced for what it does.

You do care how much people pay for a video card.

I dont care how much money someone makes. Its still just a freaken video card. The only people I see buying this are those that have vast amounts of disposable income who dont give a shit if its money well spent or not

You don't care how much people pay for a video card.

and then there are those who will spend their mortgage payment on this thing LOL.

I have no issues with how people spend their money. Ive spent too much as well for something I really wanted so I can understand.

You don't care how much people pay for a video card.

Still, a 1200$ videocard to play games on the PC ?

But then again who am I kidding, I spent 980$ cad for my 980ti and another 900 for my acer pred 1440p gsync mon. Im just as guilty of over paying for shit as the next guy but I can still admit it LOL

And finally, you don't care how much people pay for a video card. Well, you do but you don't.

I was in the same camp for a very long time (ran sli since GT8800) - then swapped my 970 sli for a 980ti and would never go back. I lost a few frames, but the overall gameplay experience is significantly better.

If I were to do it again, that is the route I would take- but 'Gx102' chips that are full-gaming are a new thing, which is why I'm looking at the 1080ti. It should be a single-card solution that's faster than my 970s in raw performance.

Of course, I'm also debating an upgrade from 1600p to 21:9 1440p, or just straight 2160p, and hopefully >60Hz with >60FPS sustainable.

You've made me think: This is actually a VERY good thing for our community...

That we enthusiasts have many of us willing to invest alot of money in this market means that we get catered for. People complain about the prices of these cards, but really, be thankful they're there to begin with. E.g. The technology to make the perfect low lag, 4:4:4 colour, 4k, 120hz monitor is available today, however, because so few people would be willing to pay for such a device, it hasn't come to market, so we all lose out (we really need to start an official 'where's that golden 4K monitor' [H] club here! :p)

But this Titan X, absurd as it is, is actually here, if you're willing to pay. I think that's a good thing.
It's is, but I suspect that they have some trouble producing these in quantity, thus the high price. And look, it's not like there won't be faster cards in the future. The Titan X came out less than 18 months ago and now there are cards that dwarf it's performance for just over half the price.

Only well healed gamers are buying these cards. It's not for the vast majority of consumers (neither is the 1080).

Absolutely not because:

Thanks for the wonderful lesson on stock markets, caring about regular joe type shareholders but then pissing on the little guy who sometimes doesn't have a choice but to have a shitty job or two (and I'm not talking about unskilled or failed your public school system people either), but I could care less about any of it. I'm done discussing the topic any further. I will give you kudos on being original and explaining it in a different way of why Nvidia is maximizing their earned dollar.

I too want to be able to play 60fps in 4K with all the eye candy on. I can afford it with my disposable income, but I have drawn the line in the sand long time ago. I was hoping others would start to follow but as this trend continues to be defended, I guess I'm alone on this one.
So with any commodity product if it could be produced at a lower cost they would, because then they would sell a hell of a lot more. Obviously this is not a high selling product at that price point, so the obvious business decision is it would not be cost efficient to make it cheaper. What you are forgetting is over time as products mature they get cheaper to produce and trickle down the line to cheaper products. what is asinine is to automatically assume nvidia is overcharging for a product that is clearly expensive to produce and probably does not sell like hotcakes. Again this is like complaining about the price of a Bentley, it is clearly not a product for everyone, i would love to own one but absolutely can not afford it.

So with any commodity product if it could be produced at a lower cost they would, because then they would sell a hell of a lot more. Obviously this is not a high selling product at that price point, so the obvious business decision is it would not be cost efficient to make it cheaper. What you are forgetting is over time as products mature they get cheaper to produce and trickle down the line to cheaper products. what is asinine is to automatically assume nvidia is overcharging for a product that is clearly expensive to produce and probably does not sell like hotcakes. Again this is like complaining about the price of a Bentley, it is clearly not a product for everyone, i would love to own one but absolutely can not afford it.

Why do people keep comparing automobiles to friggin video cards? I get it, no one including myself has a problem with a higher teir card by Nvidia that set a new cost point at $1k a year ago. Now it's predecessor bumped it to another $200 and everything is just A-OK(except for myself). I've moved on.

Last edited:
Why do people keep comparing automobiles to friggin video cards? I get it, no one has a problem with a card that Nvidia set a cost point at $1k a year ago. Now it's predecessor bumped it to another $200 and everything is just A-OK. I've moved on.
Because there could be cost reasons for the bump, this is a halo product I don't see the reason to get worked up about. Now if they release say 1160 at a price of 359 then we might want start worrying about price creep.

The irony is that here we are on an ENTHUSIAST forum and yet this tantruming ensues with every new Titan iteration. Unenthusiasts complaining about an enthusiast class part being "overpriced" and a "rip off".

17tcn7.jpg

What do you expect? Haven´t you seen the 1060 vs. 480 discussions lately? Its all about saving a few $ a year on electricity. $1200 should scream bloody murder.

an ounce of new GTX 1080 Ti. Oh yea the 1000 post over how its overpriced and what real value is. :LOL:

If I were to do it again, that is the route I would take- but 'Gx102' chips that are full-gaming are a new thing, which is why I'm looking at the 1080ti. It should be a single-card solution that's faster than my 970s in raw performance.

Of course, I'm also debating an upgrade from 1600p to 21:9 1440p, or just straight 2160p, and hopefully >60Hz with >60FPS sustainable.

I haven't gone past 1080p 144hz yet. I struggle with lower frames now, 120hz+120+fps is very pleasing, though unfortunately on some of the GPU intensive games that's not possible anymore w/980ti and highest settings. My wife won't let me justify the high refresh rate 1440p monitors quite yet too.

I get what you are planning though, it just may be a long time before they release the "1080ti" or equivalent. And don't get me wrong the 970's were by far the best sli experience I have had - there were still a few things that irked me (ex: playing bf and thinking I had lag but it was massive momentary frame drops when monitored).

I haven't gone past 1080p 144hz yet. I struggle with lower frames now, 120hz+120+fps is very pleasing, though unfortunately on some of the GPU intensive games that's not possible anymore w/980ti and highest settings. My wife won't let me justify the high refresh rate 1440p monitors quite yet too.

I get what you are planning though, it just may be a long time before they release the "1080ti" or equivalent. And don't get me wrong the 970's were by far the best sli experience I have had - there were still a few things that irked me (ex: playing bf and thinking I had lag but it was massive momentary frame drops when monitored).

I bought a 1440p overclockable monitor (96hz) with my 980ti because I felt like 4K was unsustainable ( recent games won't run at 4k60 max settings) and I think it's the same with the Pitan. Yes, its the best card for 4k because it's the most powerful, but I assure you one year from now, the latest games will struggle at 4k60,its normal.

Imo 1440p is the sweetspot for high end, you can run less demanding games at high framerate or at 5k with dsr, and more demanding games will be fine above 60fps minimums.

DOOM won't even run at above 96fps all the time, in demanding scenes I get dips to the mid 70s, it's very fluid without vsync though, I'm using fast sync. Lovely!

Witcher 3 modded such that hair works is only enabled for animals and monsters also run perfectly with vsync at 60, I guess I could even get away with 75hz using adaptive vsync

I get what you are planning though, it just may be a long time before they release the "1080ti" or equivalent.

Or maybe not. It was less than three months between the 980Ti release and Mitan X release (March 17, 2015 to June 2, 2015).

Or maybe not. It was less than three months between the 980Ti release and Mitan X release (March 17, 2015 to June 2, 2015).

You can argue that both 780Ti and 980Ti were a (planned) response to AMD's high end' 290x and Fury X respectively. This time there's nothing in sight, best case scenario is Vega 10 near christmas, and that's only competing with 1070 and 1080

I can afford it too but I just don't throw my money out the window for a little self satisfaction. That is just too much for a graphics card for gaming.
To be fair, this is the only single card that will reliably do 4K at 60 Hz. 1080 won't quite hit that mark, so there's a real distinction between the Pitan X and lesser cards beyond just self satisfaction. Whether it's worth $1,200 is up to the individual.

To be fair, this is the only single card that will reliably do 4K at 60 Hz. 1080 won't quite hit that mark, so there's a real distinction between the Pitan X and lesser cards beyond just self satisfaction. Whether it's worth $1,200 is up to the individual.

Where are the benchmarks?

Waiting for this, while everyone around us debates what is a relative value for everyone else.

We don't know exactly how this will react at 4k. I always thiught HBM2 would take 4k as a single solution. GDDR5x is basically a stop gap solution and is marginally faster than GDDR5 imo.

We don't know exactly how this will react at 4k. I always thiught HBM2 would take 4k as a single solution. GDDR5x is basically a stop gap solution and is marginally faster than GDDR5 imo.

I'm now wondering if this card can comfortably push an X34's 3440x1440 res at its 100hz. Because that would be absolutely fucking sweet.

Titans are never worth it...there's always another card released shortly afterwards that can give you almost as much power for much less cost

Back