NVIDIA Announces The New Titan X

how is the experience with 3D Vision on the PG278Q? I am finally seeing stores stocking the kit and am thinking about picking one up.
The 3D is nice on this one, a nice bright image and the resolution looks great. 3D support can be a hit or miss, but in the games that do work it's pretty compelling.

G-Sync is also amazing, and really is almost like upgrading your computer since games can look smoother and be playable at somewhat lower framerates.

I'm changing up my case...As a result, I'm going to remove and sell my modded 1080 hybrid cooler and going to an EK water block on my Titan XP.

That's what I did, I ended up buying a Phanteks Evolv ATX to replace my FT02 and custom loop (360+240 rads, EK blocks, d5 pump and a 200mL res, drain, etc). Got everything on hand right now, I'll probably slap it all together on Saturday, slightly too busy to do it during the week.

Tried out the new version of Precision X OC. It's great! You can adjust the voltage curve on the Pitan. I set it to +100% and I can get a much higher overclock than I could with Afterburner. I'm boosting to 2 GHz now at about 1.09v and still perfectly stable. Going to play around with it a bit more tomorrow to see how high I can go. If you try it out be aware that the memory overclock is half the effective rate instead of a quarter like Afterburner.

upload_2016-8-30_23-31-22.png

If you can't see Core Clock hits 1999 MHz and voltage hits 1.093v with temp still only peaking at 79C. Power peaked here at 132%, way above the 120% target.

Reactions: jkw
like this
Tried out the new version of Precision X OC. It's great! You can adjust the voltage curve on the Pitan. I set it to +100% and I can get a much higher overclock than I could with Afterburner. I'm boosting to 2 GHz now at about 1.09v and still perfectly stable. Going to play around with it a bit more tomorrow to see how high I can go. If you try it out be aware that the memory overclock is half the effective rate instead of a quarter like Afterburner.

View attachment 7336

If you can't see Core Clock hits 1999 MHz and voltage hits 1.093v with temp still only peaking at 79C. Power peaked here at 132%, way above the 120% target.

Are you power throttling at all?

Since the power limit is so low on these, I suspect it's better to not go +100 right off the bat, but rather to find your Bax clock and then step the voltage down until you you find the minimum voltage at which you can hit that clock.

Might result in higher clocks after taking power throttling into account.

Are you power throttling at all?

Since the power limit is so low on these, I suspect it's better to not go +100 right off the bat, but rather to find your Bax clock and then step the voltage down until you you find the minimum voltage at which you can hit that clock.

Might result in higher clocks after taking power throttling into account.
Power limit is pegged the entire time, but voltage limit isn't. Like I said, I just started playing with it. I'll be fine tuning throughout the rest of the week. I will definitely share my final voltage curve once it's dialed in, though.

Hey all,

Done the power limit mod the proper way now, and just reporting back that all is well. Clocks now flat in ALL games, period. Feel much better about this approach rather than leaking extra power into the circuit via the CLU mod.

Pics else it didn't happen:

IMG_20160827_221217.jpg

IMG_20160827_221421.jpg

That really is, absolutely, my best soldering to date, bar none! :cool:

Good thing considering the price of this card! :p

So yeah, totally works. Now waiting on the vmod guide for Titan X (still) as the C771 resistor isn't present on the Titan X for the vGPU mod, and the memory controller is different than the 1080. It actually uses the same controller chip as the GPU. If I put my game face on, I could probably work out the mem mod myself, though it'd be nice if an engineer would explicitly tell me! ANYONE!? :confused:

*edit*

I should say that I used relatively low melting point solder, which can easily be scrubbed off should I want to undo it. The solder used on that PCB must be like 500°c. The stuff I used is like ~250°c. Actually quite easy to remove if you've done a neat job in the first place.

Hey all,

Done the power limit mod the proper way now, and just reporting back that all is well. Clocks now flat in ALL games, period. Feel much better about this approach rather than leaking extra power into the circuit via the CLU mod.

IMG_20160827_221217.jpg

IMG_20160827_221421.jpg

So yeah, totally works. Now waiting on the vmod guide for Titan X (still) as the C771 resistor isn't present on the Titan X for the vGPU mod, and the memory controller is different than the 1080. It actually uses the same controller chip as the GPU. If I put my game face on, I could probably work out the mem mod myself, though it'd be nice if an engineer would explicitly tell me! ANYONE!? :confused:

*edit*

I should say that I used relatively low melting point solder, which can easily be scrubbed off should I want to undo it. The solder used on that PCB must be like 500°c. The stuff I used is like ~250°c. Actually quite easy to remove if you've done a neat job in the first place.

Impressive. You must have much steadier hands than me.

I can't even solder a strip board without bridging the strips.

While I don't have any confidence a BIOS mod will actually become reality, due to the digitally signed BIOS problem, I'm holding out for that. I'm not going to physically modify my board. That would DEFINITELY void warranty, and comes with huge risks of damage.

Hey all,

IMG_20160827_221217.jpg

IMG_20160827_221421.jpg

*edit*

Great job! I've done soldering to small registers like that in the past and it's real easy to undo the original solder and pad and make a much bigger prob! Would be easy though with your approach with using a lower heat solder! Nice idea!!

Too bad the pros could not suggest that back when. :/

Would not attempt that any other way and a great adjustable let heat solder rod.

I just solder over the entire resistor but nice job. You sir have more patience than me.

Oh nevermind you also did the capacitor part. Wow. Nice.

That's what I did, I ended up buying a Phanteks Evolv ATX to replace my FT02 and custom loop (360+240 rads, EK blocks, d5 pump and a 200mL res, drain, etc). Got everything on hand right now, I'll probably slap it all together on Saturday, slightly too busy to do it during the week.

Very nice! Though could all be pointless without a mod to the power regulators. Hybrid would do the same as you'll only be cooling it good and advoiding the thermal throttle.

On my evga 1080 ftw hybrid I get great cooling and also theres a bios switch and the slave bios gives you 130+ on the power so hense I'm not even close to power throttling before I reach the max voltage the card will give me 1.092v.

On my evga fe 1080s I'm constantly hitting the power throttle with only the one 8 pins connector. So cooling them better won't help me much at all. Of course it will make it cooler and quieter but won't do squat to give me a more stable higher overclock over air.

I really wanted nothing more then to slap ek full face blocks on it.. in fact I bought those blocks and returned them 2x! Even picked up the same 2 evga 1080s 2x even getting them for $630 on clearance the 2nd time (lucky) and realized this right away that I could cool them with water but it won't help the power delivery any and that was what's holding me back with the fans at max with overclocking!

So decided it was best to just stick with the hybrid cards and save me $340+ in cooling supplies and call it a year.

Very nice! Though could all be pointless without a mod to the power regulators. Hybrid would do the same as you'll only be cooling it good and advoiding the thermal throttle.

On my evga 1080 ftw hybrid I get great cooling and also theres a bios switch and the slave bios gives you 130+ on the power so hense I'm not even close to power throttling before I reach the max voltage the card will give me 1.092v.

On my evga fe 1080s I'm constantly hitting the power throttle with only the one 8 pins connector. So cooling them better won't help me much at all. Of course it will make it cooler and quieter but won't do squat to give me a more stable higher overclock over air.

I really wanted nothing more then to slap ek full face blocks on it.. in fact I bought those blocks and returned them 2x! Even picked up the same 2 evga 1080s 2x even getting them for $630 on clearance the 2nd time (lucky) and realized this right away that I could cool them with water but it won't help the power delivery any and that was what's holding me back with the fans at max with overclocking!

So decided it was best to just stick with the hybrid cards and save me $340+ in cooling supplies and call it a year.

Yea I know I could have used an AIO, but i needed a change of scenery anyways, been using my FT02 and NH-D14 for like 6 years. Getting a little tired of it :p

I wish I could solder like that.

Do you mind me asking what iron and solder you are using for that work, along with any other useful tools? Not gonna take an iron to my Titan but I do some wiring in my cars, might be good to know.

Those of you running EK water blocks on your TXP, are you seeing that clocks are permanently stuck in 3D mode on the desktop? Ever since I installed the water block, my card does not down clock anymore.

Those of you running EK water blocks on your TXP, are you seeing that clocks are permanently stuck in 3D mode on the desktop? Ever since I installed the water block, my card does not down clock anymore.

I have not had this problem.

Mine downclocks to ~500Mhz (from memory) when on the desktop.

Are you sure you haven't accidentally set your global Nvidia driver settings to "Prefer Maximum Performance"? I believe this might have that effect. If you want "prefer Maximum performance" in games, you can have it both ways, by setting that setting only in the game specific settings, not in the global settings.

It could also be the drivers.

Both the 372.54 and 372.70 drives have been TERRIBLE and full with game and desktop breaking problems for me. I've had to roll back to the launch drivers, 369.05. Luckily I don't play any of the titles that the newer drivers add support for.

Are you sure you haven't accidentally set your global Nvidia driver settings to "Prefer Maximum Performance"? I believe this might have that effect. If you want "prefer Maximum performance" in games, you can have it both ways, by setting that setting only in the game specific settings, not in the global settings.
That was it. Thanks man. I forgot I had changed that setting. I didn't realize it would apply @ the desktop too.

I wish I could solder like that.

Do you mind me asking what iron and solder you are using for that work, along with any other useful tools? Not gonna take an iron to my Titan but I do some wiring in my cars, might be good to know.

No problem, I've got all the links since bought it all quite recently:

Soldering Station:
48W Mains Solder Station | Maplin

Tips:
Spare 48W Solder Station Soldering Iron Tips | Maplin

Solder:
Lead-Free Silver Solder Roll 100g | Maplin

10 ohm resistor (for those interested):
Metal Film 0.6W 10 Ohm Resistor | Maplin

Wish I'd spent more on a better soldering station, but it works well enough for the stuff I do.

Made my hybrid Titan X today. Used the AIO EVGA 1080 cooler. Running Timespy and Firestrike Ultra, card boosts to about 2100. Running RealBench stress test for 30 min, card stabilized at 2088 continuously at 43C with default fan profile. Very pleased. Haven't tweaked much at all. +220 on core and memory in PrecisionX and power limit 120, temp limit 90.

9ARvrCJ.jpg

3masALH.jpg

5gXI7vK.jpg

Reactions: Rizen
like this
I think I have my final setting in Precision X OC. Moving voltage offset to +80% lets my hit +200 MHz in Precision X OC, peaking at 2038 MHz Boost and settling at 2000 MHz after 20 minutes. Voltage reading stays around a rock-solid 1.08V with power and voltage limits only occasionally spiking. To get any better I'm going to have to put this thing under water. Because of the increase in voltage needed to hit 2 GHz I think I got a low ASIC card compared to some other people around here.

Seems we're all stuck between 2000-2100. I'm not seeing many, if any, holding 2100+ clocks 24/7 regardless of cooling.

I still need to finish my custom back plate (pics soon to follow) and put my PC back together, but last check I was at around 2038mhz constant after doing the power mod. Going from my custom franken mod to the EK block dropped the core temps from ~42°c to ~35°c, and it made absolutely no difference to my overclock! Well improved the mem OC, but haven't had a chance to really get into it yet...

I got crashing after about an hour with F1 2016 and had to bump the voltage to +100%, after which I was able to complete a whole race. But sustained Boost was lower as it was hitting the power limit harder, so I think I need to do some more tweaking here. But the voltage setting with Precision X OC definitely makes a difference in my case.

But it was cool seeing Firestrike Ultra not dip below 40 FPS for the first time in graphic test 1 and 22 FPS in graphic test 2.

Seems we're all stuck between 2000-2100. I'm not seeing many, if any, holding 2100+ clocks 24/7 regardless of cooling.

I still need to finish my custom back plate (pics soon to follow) and put my PC back together, but last check I was at around 2038mhz constant after doing the power mod. Going from my custom franken mod to the EK block dropped the core temps from ~42°c to ~35°c, and it made absolutely no difference to my overclock! Well improved the mem OC, but haven't had a chance to really get into it yet...

Yeah, the sad part appears to be the power limit.

Not quite sure why Nvidia has gone so extreme on this this time around.

Why bother digitally signing the BIOS, especially after making public statements about how well the Pascal Titan X should overclock.

They know one of the reasons many people buy these is for tweaking. It's not as if there is a higher end card a more highly overclocked Pascal Titan X could cannibalize sales from. What are they afraid of? That people won't upgrade to the next one, if they allow them free reign to overclock?

Add this as another in the long line of things I hate about Nvidia. The most solid and best performing GPU's out there, produced by a petty company not afraid to use greyzone monopolistic tactics (Game Works, G-Sync, etc.) to further their cause, and happy to piss off their customers over nothing.

This is what happens when one company becomes dominant and has no real competition. It is sad.

Thinking about replacing my 2 Titan X Maxwell with 1 Titan X Pascal (water cooled). As far I can see it seems to be a small improvement performance wise (at 1600p). And of course less SLI hassle. Opinions? Do you agree?

Thinking about replacing my 2 Titan X Maxwell with 1 Titan X Pascal (water cooled). As far I can see it seems to be a small improvement performance wise (at 1600p). And of course less SLI hassle. Opinions? Do you agree?
I would do it in my position just because all the games I'm getting throughout the rest of the year will be DX12. In DX11 a Maxwell pair will still be 20-30% faster than a single Pascal Titan, though. So the question is: are you willing to sacrifice the performance you're getting in those games for potentially smoother performance in future games? Regardless, frametime delta is nearly nonexistent with Pascal, so I think that alone would make the change worth it.

I'm not sure its a performance increase in the traditional sense, but the overall experience will certainly be much improved due to lack of SLI nonsense.

I moved from dual 980ti's to a single Pascal Titan for this very reason.

Less heat too... my 'gaming room' is like a sauna spring to fall. And selling the old Titan's + waterblocks will reduce the damage a bit, I guess.

Less heat too... my 'gaming room' is like a sauna spring to fall. And selling the old Titan's + waterblocks will reduce the damage a bit, I guess.

Same thing I did, but with the 980ti's

I was using Corsair HG10 n980 brackets and H90's for cooling of my 980ti's before.

Sold the 980 ti's for a combined ~$600, but repurposed the H90's and didnt even try to sell the HG10 brackets.

New custom water loop was about a $900 investment though, and then there was the $1200 Titan.

The way I see it selling the 980ti's reduced the pain, and the custom water loop is a long term investment that I will ahve for years, and if I decide to change it I already have the fundamental parts.

Hm, I was hoping for ~450 each of the Titan's on craigslist, but maybe I'm too optimistic here. And maybe 50 each for the EK water blocks.

Hm, I was hoping for ~450 each of the Titan's on craigslist, but maybe I'm too optimistic here. And maybe 50 each for the EK water blocks.

Should be able to get more than that. I see the Titan X Maxwells go for like $650-700 on eBay. Even after fees that's still well above $500

Yeah, the sad part appears to be the power limit.

Not quite sure why Nvidia has gone so extreme on this this time around.

Why bother digitally signing the BIOS, especially after making public statements about how well the Pascal Titan X should overclock.

They know one of the reasons many people buy these is for tweaking. It's not as if there is a higher end card a more highly overclocked Pascal Titan X could cannibalize sales from. What are they afraid of? That people won't upgrade to the next one, if they allow them free reign to overclock?

Add this as another in the long line of things I hate about Nvidia. The most solid and best performing GPU's out there, produced by a petty company not afraid to use greyzone monopolistic tactics (Game Works, G-Sync, etc.) to further their cause, and happy to piss off their customers over nothing.

This is what happens when one company becomes dominant and has no real competition. It is sad.

Listening to your words, plus gathering what I'm seeing myself, seems to me also like there's ALOT of 'hidden' potential in this chip, like in order so much so, that nvidia will later 're-release' it again 2017, rather than bring out a proper Volta (yeah consider this now given the latest 'roadmaps'), because they can so blatantly fend off an AMD focused now squarely on ZEN this year, with Vega fucking Q2 2017 now by their actual latest official word! :cry:

On a better note though, finally finished my custom back plate mod.

Pics else blah-de-blah...

IMG_20160902_190736.jpg

...I lied, so I decided to replace EK's bolt holder bit things with other ones from my previous EK 780ti block. Then cut up some more suitable 2mm bolts and put them in.

IMG_20160902_202737.jpg

Then screwed in my own custom craftmanship back plate:

IMG_20160902_205818.jpg

Classmanship!

IMG_20160902_212522.jpg

And after all that no better than air! :LOL:

2050_flat.png

Not so bad on the mem though.

Last edited:
Listening to your words, plus gathering what I'm seeing myself, seems to me also like there's ALOT of 'hidden' potential in this chip, like in order so much so, that nvidia will later 're-release' it again 2017, rather than bring out a proper Volta (yeah consider this now given the latest 'roadmaps'), because they can so blatantly fend off an AMD focused now squarely on ZEN this year, with Vega fucking Q2 2017 now by their actual latest official word! :cry:

On a better note though, finally finished my custom back plate mod.

Pics else blah-de-blah...

IMG_20160902_190736.jpg

...I lied, so I decided to replace EK's bolt holder bit things with other ones from my previous EK 780ti block. Then cut up some more suitable 2mm bolts and put them in.

IMG_20160902_202737.jpg

Then screwed in my own custom craftmanship back plate:

IMG_20160902_205818.jpg

Classmanship!

IMG_20160902_212522.jpg

And after all that no better than air! :LOL:

2050_flat.png

Not so bad on the mem though.

Zen is not this year either. How anyone can be bullish on AMD I cannot understand.

Zen is not this year either. How anyone can be bullish on AMD I cannot understand.

Last I heard, Zen to OEMs end of this year in some capacity?

But I agree, it's becoming increasingly evident that AMD is behind on all fronts by a margin far greater than Raja should have known better to imply with his Vega tweets.

Also, to add, and I don't normally share this kinda stuff, but for what it's worth, here's the inspector graph of 2 hours of random all sorts in GTA5 at 4K DSR -> 1080p all maxed, post the power limit power mod proper:

2_hours_gta_5.png

~75% power level flat? The card quite clearly has no *idea* how many amps is going through it now, nice!

Oh, and 5 gig-o-ram usage apparently; so I guess I did actually need this over my 980. :)

Last edited:
Got the cards installed, and PC is back up and running.

I'll run em a few days and make sure things are stable before I try pushing them, but just as they are now, they gave me a 50% boost in the benchmark for FFXIV and keep me locked solid at 60 fps all the time now, even in raids, at the "Maximum" setting.

Money can indeed buy happiness.... :)

Got the cards installed, and PC is back up and running.

I'll run em a few days and make sure things are stable before I try pushing them, but just as they are now, they gave me a 50% boost in the benchmark for FFXIV and keep me locked solid at 60 fps all the time now, even in raids, at the "Maximum" setting.

Money can indeed buy happiness.... :)

Right? :D

Haven't found any game to hand that isn't absolutely drop dead gorgeous right now. Money does buy graphics, no question.

That said, this really is just; stupid money.

:p

Also, to add, and I don't normally share this kinda stuff, but for what it's worth, here's the inspector graph of 2 hours of random all sorts in GTA5 at 4K DSR -> 1080p all maxed, post the power limit power mod proper:

2_hours_gta_5.png

~75% power level flat? The card quite clearly has no *idea* how many amps is going through it now, nice!

Oh, and 5 gig-o-ram usage apparently; so I guess I did actually need this over my 980. :)

That's nice. I'm going to visit the local radioshack tomorrow. I tested the clu method since I have some and its easy to remove, and can confirm it does hardly anything. Testing FSU, most of the first test is throttled for me lol. I set the pwr limit in AB's OSD and it flashes when its being limited and its on for most of the first test, sucks. Gonna have to break out the iron and get medieval now.

I put in my water loop last night. GPU boosts to 2113 now and settles at 2088 at around 42c with 26c room temp. Gonna mess around with overclocking my card and adjusting the water loop and see if i can get it any higher, I don't think I can get much higher though, because I did have a driver crash last time I bumped it up more, but I will play around with the voltages a bit. Really liking the setup so far.

I did and I don't regret it one bit. The Maxwell Titan X's I had even with AIO on used to heat up my room like a furnace and they ate a lot of power. This single Pascal Titan X eats way less power and generates far less heat than those two did so my room isn't a furnace anymore. Additionally, when the Pascal Titan X runs at 2 GHz for me in games, it is nearly as fast as the two Maxwell Titan X's at stock. No SLI hassle, less heat generated, less power consumed and close enough performance that I don't feel the slight loss.

I did and I don't regret it one bit. The Maxwell Titan X's I had even with AIO on used to heat up my room like a furnace and they ate a lot of power. This single Pascal Titan X eats way less power and generates far less heat than those two did so my room isn't a furnace anymore. Additionally, when the Pascal Titan X runs at 2 GHz for me in games, it is nearly as fast as the two Maxwell Titan X's at stock. No SLI hassle, less heat generated, less power consumed and close enough performance that I don't feel the slight loss.

That's what I did as well. Really liking single card TitanXP at 3440x1440. Room doesn't get ridiculously hot anymore moving down to 1 GPU. It also performs better in games where SLI wasn't supported that great and ofcourse you get double the performance in games that have no SLI support.

I wish they announced the 1080 and Titan XP at the same time. I did the free side grade from Titan XM -> 1080. Might have jumped on the Titan XP.

Back