NVIDIA Announces The New Titan X

Got 2 forgot to change the shipping to next day.

tx.png

First run of Pascal Titan

Callsign_Vega --- 6700K / 4.8 GHz --- Titan X (Pascal), 2050 / 5693 --- 161.7 --- 6764

Even with 4.8 GHz 6700K GPU was under max quite a bit.

Just out of curiosity what ASIC quality is that card? Personally I wasn't expecting to see 2050mhz on air this soon.

Time to find out what these can really do.

Only two? :)

I've been disappointed with the reviews I've read so far: I would have liked to see the cards tested (on the Nvidia side) against the original Titans and previous-generation Titans X.

Mike211, did you forget the SLI bridge?

ASIC isn't read on Pascal.

As for only two, ya I've found going above two knocks PCI-E slots down to 8x speed which reduces most of the benefit. The high speed SLI bridge takes care of my high resolution/FPS displays, but of course only works with two cards.

Anyone get their shipping info yet? I ordered mine for next day delivery at 10am...Still no shipping confirmation.

I ordered mine at 10am (Eastern Time) yesterday, still no notification of shipping. I did standard shipping though, because I'll be waiting for the EK full cover block to be released anyway. No need to pay extra for shipping.

I was thinking that they might be taking advantage of the fact that I chose regular shipping, to manage tight availability at launch, and maybe decided to just ship me a later batch with faster shipping so it would get here at the same time anyway, and just eat the cost of the shipping, but if you chose overnight, then that theory is out the window.

I have Beta 4.3. Voltage is not read.

I'm in 18C ambient, fans are at 100% until I can get my Hybrid coolers on them.

So far stable at 2000 MHz. I think we may have a beast on our hands. :)

Very nice. I am looking forward to seeing what I can get in a custom water loop :)

I don't believe in such a thing as "irresponsible" computing performance.

That entire press release was completely lame.
I agree. I think Nvidia forgets at times that the people buying the Titan cards are probably in their 30s or older and don't really appreciate hype marketing. I'm sure we would be just fine with the specs being accurate.

I ordered at about noon EST yesterday, also with standard free shipping. No shipping notice yet.

I ordered mine at 10am (Eastern Time) yesterday, still no notification of shipping. I did standard shipping though, because I'll be waiting for the EK full cover block to be released anyway. No need to pay extra for shipping.

I was thinking that they might be taking advantage of the fact that I chose regular shipping, to manage tight availability at launch, and maybe decided to just ship me a later batch with faster shipping so it would get here at the same time anyway, and just eat the cost of the shipping, but if you chose overnight, then that theory is out the window.

I am starting to get a little annoyed that some people already have theirs in their hands and mine hasn't even shipped yet, despite ordering at about the same time.

Is Nvidia back-ordering these cards without telling the customers? That's a pretty shitty practice.

If the card wasn't available to ship when I ordered, I should have been notified that I was on back order.

Holy hell my fast cards memory can also do 5900 MHz. +900 on the slider.

You should test for memory bottlenecks!. Maintain your GPU core OC and vary the memory. I suggest testing ~2100mhz with 4500/5000/5500 on the memory and posting your results here :D

So this thing, from the looks of it, is a better OC than 1080?

IIRC, wasn't Mitan a worse OC'er than 980?

Depends how you look at it, Mitan had boost clock of 1075mhz. If you consider that as reference then it OC'd way better than 980

You should test for memory bottlenecks!. Maintain your GPU core OC and vary the memory. I suggest testing ~2100mhz with 4500/5000/5500 on the memory and posting your results here :D

That would be interesting indeed.

In the last 5 years or so, I haven't even bothered OC:ing the RAM on my video cards. I've gone with core clocks only, because the RAM has been more trouble than it was worth, and rarely if ever resulted in any real results.

It would be interesting to see if that has changed.

I think that threw a lot of guys off. My Titan Xs (Maxwell) OC to about the same level (on water) as my MSI 980Ti (on air).

That said, the new Titan X (Pascal) OCd to 2000+ is going to be pretty stout. Again, just like with Titan X (Maxwell), the reviews with stock clocks are going to paint a different picture than what real world users will end up with.

That would be interesting indeed.

In the last 5 years or so, I haven't even bothered OC:ing the RAM on my video cards. I've gone with core clocks only, because the RAM has been more trouble than it was worth, and rarely if ever resulted in any real results.

It would be interesting to see if that has changed.
I didn't see any benefit in the past, either. With Mitan, though, I see upward of a 20% increase in GPU-bound games when overclocking the memory to 8000 MT/s from the stock 7010.

I am starting to get a little annoyed that some people already have theirs in their hands and mine hasn't even shipped yet, despite ordering at about the same time.

Is Nvidia back-ordering these cards without telling the customers? That's a pretty shitty practice.

If the card wasn't available to ship when I ordered, I should have been notified that I was on back order.

I'm in the same boat. Still waiting for shipment notification.

I didn't see any benefit in the past, either. With Mitan, though, I see upward of a 20% increase in GPU-bound games when overclocking the memory to 8000 MT/s from the stock 7010.

Yeah but that's with a core OC, can't just be memory, right?
Thanks for that.

I'm placing my order.

It's a little unclear which backplate you need to order, or if it is compatible with the backplate on the card from Nvidia.

:) de nada.

Going under water. Holy TIM batman.

Hey it looks like you can fit a GPU block and leave on the fan+flat heatsink assembly for the memory.
Are there cooling fins under the fan surround?

Yeah but that's with a core OC, can't just be memory, right?

:) de nada.
That is after the core OC. Just remembering one of the games I was testing at the time off the top of my head:

At 2560x1440, Dying Light was averaging 65-70 FPS. After core overclock to 1467 MHz Boost, it went up to 75-80 (+15%). Adding the memory overclock to 8000 MT/s increased it to around 90 (+13-20%). Keep in mind baseline framerate was using the EVGA SC version, which boosted to around 1330 MHz IIRC (base clock +126 MHz over reference [1000 MHz to 1126 MHz]).

Going under water. Holy TIM batman.

I've never opened a GPU that didn't have a more than healthy dose of TIM from the factory. It's just the way they do it AFAIK.

According to Jayztwocents testing it's almost impossible to overdo TIM to the point where it hurts performance. As long as you stick with non-conductive stuff, the worst you are going to do is make a mess.

In fact, he suggests that it is better to err on the side of too much, as opposed to CPU's there is no heat spreader, so you want to make very certain that there is no part of the chip that isn't covered. Also there is no socket for the excess TIM to get in.

Last edited:
All I know is when I replace the globbed factory TIM with a moderate amount of Gelid Extreme, I get a nice cooling boost.

All I know is when I replace the globbed factory TIM with a moderate amount of Gelid Extreme, I get a nice cooling boost.

Well, EK recommends applying GPU paste using the X method with a line through the middle, not the typical CPU style pea sized ball in the center.

Sort of like a superimposed X and +

First run of Pascal Titan

Callsign_Vega --- 6700K / 4.8 GHz --- Titan X (Pascal), 2050 / 5693 --- 161.7 --- 6764

Even with 4.8 GHz 6700K GPU was under max quite a bit.

Wow. I need to do a 980Ti SLI stock run to see if this doubles my results.

Edit: When you get a chance, re-run that with the 4.0 version please.

Last edited:
Waiting on mine to ship, decided to hold off on a second until I can find a suitable home for at least one of the old Maxwells.

Man.... really debating using that paypal credit for $2550 LOL... 6 mo no interest...

looking at around $450 a month to pay off the 2.5k balance for the card with tax... still tempting lol

So, It looks like they are accepting pre-orders for the block, but they won't ship until the 16th. (still pretty damned good timeline, considering they probably had to buy a Titan just like everyone else)

EK full cover blocks typically don't officially work with included backplates. Their backplate for the card is not available for pre-order yet. (there is a part number, but no page for it in the EK webshop. Searching for the part number turns up nothing)

I guess I'll wait a little bit before placing my pre-order.

So far with 980Ti SLI comparing my results to Vega, 168fps @1302MHz with "perfect scaling", and Vega at 161fps on a single Titan X at 2050MHz.
So If I could go down to 1200Mhz I'm sure the Titan X at 2050Hz would yield identical stock performance to 980Ti SLI.

In real world gaming, the 980Ti SLI will lose 10-50% in performance depending on the game. So this Titan X will pull ahead.
With this massive OC, the game sure has changed, along with my opinion of the card. lol

Last edited:
Back