NVIDIA Announces The New Titan X

Well, it's officially August 2nd EST, and no availability or reviews.

I'm going to have to call it a night.

HWC tweeted something but then removed it moments later. That was in the afternoon, but then later they tweeted a San Andreas gif lmao.
I'm guessing we see stuff in the morning...?

You know its funny when fury x came out and amd tried to keep it cool and put a stock fucking watercooler for half its price, everyone bitched and moaned about this card is a fail it needs a water cooler lol. Now people are recommending putting a watercooler on a 1200 dollar card. Seriously shouldn't an expensive card include it already if community demands such product.

You know its funny when fury x came out and amd tried to keep it cool and put a stock fucking watercooler for half its price, everyone bitched and moaned about this card is a fail it needs a water cooler lol. Now people are recommending putting a watercooler on a 1200 dollar card. Seriously shouldn't an expensive card include it already if community demands such product.
It's not the same thing at all, buddy. The fury X could barely overclock 10%.

An air-cooled 980ti could hit about 1500mhz if you're lucky, water-cooled you could get 1600 if you're lucky. It will be the same here. The fury X would not have shipped at those clocks without the aid

Titan X comes with a blower cooler. Come on.

Well, it's officially August 2nd EST, and no availability or reviews.

I'm going to have to call it a night.

Nvidia UK announced that the card is going on sale 2 PM their time, which should be around 11 AM EDT iirc, so... I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's not the same thing at all, buddy. The fury X could barely overclock 10%.

An air-cooled 980ti could hit about 1500mhz if you're lucky, water-cooled you could get 1600 if you're lucky. It will be the same here. The fury X would not have shipped at those clocks without the aid

Titan X comes with a blower cooler. Come on.

I got no issue with people watercooling it. Its the fastest card out there we don't even know how it overclocks. What if it doesn't need a watercooler, thats all I am saying. Fury X was a plus for watercooler, and clocks werent the only reason there was watercooler on it. If the temps were kept around 65c the card actually used less wattage according to anandtech and in turn the card was quiet and helped it become more power effecient. Ofcourse there will be some people that put watercooler on it, but I am not going to say do it justice and put a water cooler on it. People did enough justice paying 1200 for it, the card should do the buyers justice.

man if I spend 1200 on a card it better do the dance when I pull it out of the box. I don't need to spend more money to do justice to it. haha

Last edited:
I'd rather choose to put water cooling on, or at least choose one with AIO offering, than it to be forced upon me.

Fury X never came on my radar for that very reason. I don't have the knowledge to mount an AIO, don't have the time, nor the will to risk water running in my machine. My time to game is already diminished as it is, no need to F around something that is unneeded.

If I want to do water cooling, I'd go full on custom loop.

Damnit, I was hoping for a midnight review release. :/ I hate that AMD and Nvidia rarely give us a straight answer when it comes to a release.

Also agree. I used a closed loop, no interest in anything else than GPU coolers that come stock. I wouldn't even mess with an aftermarket air cooler, looked at the videos for one back in the day and removing the shroud and taking off and replacing all of the thermal paste on all of the RAM looked like a huge pain in the ass that I did not want to deal with. That being said, I think this card will do what I need it to do with the stock cooler -- but I am hopeful that the OC headroom isn't total garbage...we'll see.

Exactly how I feel.

I can easily afford 3 of these cards, but I don't have the time nor the patience to fuck around with / maintain custom watercooling.

I've been using a Corsair closed loop on a CPU for two years now. No problems at all.

Regarding the new Titan X release - i like what i'm seeing in benchmarks. I'll wait for about a month (going on vacation anyway) then pick up a new display and two of them for SLI

Me too :) man $1200 is a lot, but if it turns out to be the first single card 4k solution than its worth it in my book. Plus no worries about free sync or gsync at that level anymore! I paid for next morning shipping so hopefully I'll it setup tomorrow before lunch.

Also agree. I used a closed loop, no interest in anything else than GPU coolers that come stock. I wouldn't even mess with an aftermarket air cooler, looked at the videos for one back in the day and removing the shroud and taking off and replacing all of the thermal paste on all of the RAM looked like a huge pain in the ass that I did not want to deal with. That being said, I think this card will do what I need it to do with the stock cooler -- but I am hopeful that the OC headroom isn't total garbage...we'll see.

Wow.

It's so easy. Only a few screws and the entire stock cooler comes off.

IMHO, even if you do t want to use an aftermarket cooler, it's part of standard computer maintenance for it to come off after a couple of years so the dried up thermal paste can be replaced.

Ditto.

Eww. $75 sales tax...
Yeah, that was the only downer when they said you could only buy from NVIDIA: everyone is going to pay sales tax. Is only 6% for me, but that is still an extra $72 on a $1,200 purchase. Still, got the 2nd day shipping, so should be here Thursday.
Wow.

IMHO, even if you do t want to use an aftermarket cooler, it's part of standard computer maintenance for it to come off after a couple of years so the dried up thermal paste can be replaced.
Easy, yes. But there were 21 or 23 screws I had to undo on the Mitan X to get it off when I replaced the blower with the ACX, so just a little more than "a few."

Yeah, that was the only downer when they said you could only buy from NVIDIA: everyone is going to pay sales tax. Is only 6% for me, but that is still an extra $72 on a $1,200 purchase. Still, got the 2nd day shipping, so should be here Thursday.

Easy, yes. But there were 21 or 23 screws I had to undo on the Mitan X to get it off when I replaced the blower with the ACX, so just a little more than "a few."

Hmm. That's A LOT more than its taken for me to take the coolers of any of my recent GPU's

There were maybe 10 or 12 of them on my recent two Evga ACX 2.0+ 980ti's. Only took a few minutes.

New Titan X is about as fast as 980Ti in SLI. So no upgrade for me but I would have to pay twice as much :/
Better wait for Volta and see what it can bring to the table. But, probably about as twice as much performance as my SLI setup.

Wow.

I've never changed the thermal paste on a GPU. I'll bet I'm not the only person.

usually I will change the paste on new gpu's. From my experience the stock application is really shitty.

Snagged one as well.

Side grade coming from SLI'ed 980TIs, but should be a nice bump up where VR use is concerned since VR doesn't really support SLI yet and I find myself primarily gaming in VR now.

Plan to water cool it as well once EK has a block out for it.

I didn't even realize Nvidia had a store until this release :p

I ordered it with basic shipping. No rush for it to get here, as EK haven't released their water block yet. I just wanted to make sure I got one before they go on backorder, and it gets more difficult.

usually I will change the paste on new gpu's. From my experience the stock application is really shitty.

I find the tock application uses a lot more paste than we are used to, but as Jayz2cents tested, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

You NEED more paste on a GPU than you do with a modern CPU because if you wind up with a small spot of the heat spreader uncovered, it's not a huge deal, but if you have a part of the bare die uncovered it can severely impact performance.

The reason to replace paste is just that it dries out over time and loses performance. (This is why, Intel putting paste under the heat spreader is such a bad thing).

Even though it probably doesn't affect things much in its own right I like to replace it with better TIM.

Even though it probably doesn't affect things much in its own right I like to replace it with better TIM.

Fair enough. I don't know what TIM is considered good these days. I still have a bunch of old AS5 tubes and a syringe of Shin Etsu (sp?) kicking around that I use when I need some.

I've always went with Diamond 7 thermal paste, its pretty thick so I get a cup of warm water and let the tube sit in it for a bit before application. Works pretty well.

I've always went with Diamond 7 thermal paste, its pretty thick so I get a cup of warm water and let the tube sit in it for a bit before application. Works pretty well.

I've never even heard of that one.

I vaguely remember the [H] discussing doing a new paste roundup and asking for suggestions of which pastes to test several months back. I guess that never happened.

Exactly how I feel.

I can easily afford 3 of these cards, but I don't have the time nor the patience to fuck around with / maintain custom watercooling.

I've been using a Corsair closed loop on a CPU for two years now. No problems at all.

Regarding the new Titan X release - i like what i'm seeing in benchmarks. I'll wait for about a month (going on vacation anyway) then pick up a new display and two of them for SLI

The only thing I do to maintain my loop is blow dust out of the radiators now and then.

Tax kills it for me, can't justify $1305 for this blower but congrats to those who got one! I will stick to my lowly 1080 until the Ti variant comes out..... IF it comes out.

Still, looking for 1440p reviews to compare. I assume the gap would narrow at resolutions lower than 4k!

Fair enough. I don't know what TIM is considered good these days. I still have a bunch of old AS5 tubes and a syringe of Shin Etsu (sp?) kicking around that I use when I need some.
I like Arctic MX-4, myself. It's non-capacitive and non-conductive (unlike AS5), not too thin or thick, and lasts a long time. Some people swear by GELID Extreme, but I heard it dries out quickly.

Back