Nvidia announces GeForce GTX Gaming Celebration event, Feb 28th

I bought the 1070s because I felt the 1080s were a screw job just like Maxwell. The GTX 980 was quickly forgotten.
The Ti is priced the same as the x80 and equal to or faster the Titan for the second gen in a row. Those who wait are rewarded.
I did completely the opposite. 980 vs 970 SLI is a completely different beast to 1080 vs 1070 SLI when you compare the SLI scaling back vs x80 perf and the SLI scaling now vs x80 performance.

Essentially I avoided 1070 SLI this time because the scaling in the games I do play was shoddy, and 1080 came out better for the money for me than 1070 SLI.

yhst-89875577001792_2266_69891634_grande.jpg

This... Buying high end cards is pointless.. .I have gotten in the cycle of selling my old 70s cards off.. and buying new ones. My 1070 only cost me like 220$ :/

Well, they're not exactly pointless since that same line of thinking (funding new hardware with the old stuff) works just as well at the high end. I paid about $1700 out of pocket for my Titans after selling off the Maxwells (and this was at release), which isn't significantly more than the ~$1500 it'll cost for a pair of 1080Ti's. $200 premium to have that performance 7 months in advance? Yes please.

Well I know what I'm buying soon. Either cheap as chips 1080's in Sli or a 1080 ti. Hmmmm

I did completely the opposite. 980 vs 970 SLI is a completely different beast to 1080 vs 1070 SLI when you compare the SLI scaling back vs x80 perf and the SLI scaling now vs x80 performance.

Essentially I avoided 1070 SLI this time because the scaling in the games I do play was shoddy, and 1080 came out better for the money for me than 1070 SLI.

I agree with the SLI performance. In older DX11 games it's great but in newer games a 1080 would have been better.
The 1080Ti taking longer to be released caused the 1070 SLI plan to go sour a bit.

I didn't watch the stream. Are they doing their Founders Edition bullshit this time around?

GTX 1080 Ti graphics cards, including the NVIDIA Founders Edition, will be available worldwide on March 10, from NVIDIA GeForce partners, including ASUS, Colorful, EVGA, Gainward, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Innovision 3D, MSI, Palit, PNY and Zotac.

Pre-orders on nvidia.com will go live on March 2, at 8am Pacific.

Good stuff! I still have two 780 Lightnings under water and a decent OC that are starting to show their age at 3440x1440 especially with the 3GB. I paid $530 for the first one in 11/2013 and $300 for the 2nd towards the end of 2014.

I'll still keep them around, but it is 1080Ti under water for me. Glad I held out all of this time.

Im talking about your wish that AMD is hurt badly.

If you say so, AMD is doing it to themselves, they are late, its their fault, and Vega is way too late to make any impact now. If Instinct cards are any consideration, they need to hit 225 watts at 1080ti performance levels to be in any consideration, which is pretty much not going to happen, if Vega could do it, they would have shown that type of performance and now watch, when Vega will be announced they will put excuses why they can't go up against the the top end enthusiast cards, something like the volume for the 1070 and 1080 is greater that is why we are targeting that lol.

You were one of the people that believed in the TAM and Polaris, yeah, that really helped them *sarcasm*

You and a few others here thought AMD's hardware was better suited for DX12 as well

http://m.hexus.net/tech/news/software/103006-nvidia-announces-gameworks-directx-12-software-tools/

Coming shortly will be a new GeForce Game Ready Driver optimised for DirectX 12 games. This driver will offer an impressive performance uplift of "16 per cent on average," across a variety of DirectX 12 games. Titles feeling the DX12 Game Ready driver love will include; Ashes of the Singularity, Gears of War 4, Hitman, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Tom Clancy’s The Division.

Then when I mentioned I knew nV was working on DX12 and gameworks, months ago, I even asked if I could see what they were doing lol, yep, get the picture now?

Even if they get 10% average increase in Dx12, that just nullifies all of Polaris's "better" drivers, and if the price cuts are true for the 1070, there is no way an HBM 2 card by AMD would make any margins at that price (cut down Vega), and very little margins for a full Vega if it comes out to compete at 1080.

Last edited:
Good stuff! I still have two 780 Lightnings under water and a decent OC that are starting to show their age at 3440x1440 especially with the 3GB. I paid $530 for the first one in 11/2013 and $300 for the 2nd towards the end of 2014.

I'll still keep them around, but it is 1080Ti under water for me. Glad I held out all of this time.

Just bear in mind you will still be limited by the Voltage and so max will still be around 2GHz-2.1GHz.
The only two companies to release BIOS with higher voltages were Asus and Galax, and these were only for their top model 1080.
So if looking to go more extreme, it may be worth waiting/risking to buy their Ti model with fingers crossed they will do the same for this - I would expect them TBH but depends if they release multiple models.
Would be a HoF for Galax and whatever they call the top Strix model for Asus
Cheers

Nope, only memory. And it's just 1 GHz. Current gen is not bandwidth starved to begin with and both 1060 and 1080 can be already OCed to those easily. Really minor update if any at all.
I think most everyone was already running the memory on their 1080 or Titan X at at least 11 GT/s, anyway. That is exactly what I run on my Titan X.
Just bear in mind you will still be limited by the Voltage and so max will still be around 2GHz-2.1GHz.
The only two companies to release BIOS with higher voltages were Asus and Galax, and these were only for their top model 1080.
So if looking to go more extreme, it may be worth waiting/risking to buy their Ti model with fingers crossed they will do the same for this - I would expect them TBH but depends if they release multiple models.
Would be a HoF for Galax and whatever they call the top Strix model for Asus
Cheers
Indeed, and that extra voltage barely allows those cards to go slightly higher than 2.1 GHz.

Lol, slides showing performance improvements from async compute... GAMEWORKS DX12....

Lol.

Some people must have been triggered big time.

I also found this

http://m.hexus.net/tech/news/software/103006-nvidia-announces-gameworks-directx-12-software-tools/

So much for nvidia only making progress because of the competition from AMD, and so much for the fabled €999 1080TI

Yeah made me smile, I raised this back in March 2016 at B3D as probably the reason we are not seeing Async Compute fully active just yet was DX12 and Gameworks being the focus and tricky aspect to get working and so async compute sort of 'on hold' until complete.
Cheers

I think most everyone was already running the memory on their 1080 or Titan X at at least 11 GT/s, anyway. That is exactly what I run on my Titan X.

Indeed, and that extra voltage barely allows those cards to go slightly higher than 2.1 GHz.
Well if used with the right models it does.
Problem is people are trying those BIOS on models that are not the 1080 HOF nor the very top 1080 Strix card.
But this is an expensive way to access say 1.2V.
Cheers

Here is the Nvidia News Brief with more details on the DX12 and Gameworks, and also Game Ready Driver Optimized for DX12:
Game Ready Driver Optimized for DX12
NVIDIA also revealed an upcoming Game Ready Driver optimized for DirectX 12 games. The company refined code in the driver and worked side by side with game developers to deliver performance increases of up to 16 percent on average across a variety of DirectX 12 games, such as Ashes of the Singularity, Gears of War 4, Hitman, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Tom Clancy's The Division.(1)

(1) Figure averages the percentage increase of benchmark numbers in the following: GeForce GTX 1080 at 3840x2160 with launch driver 368.81 vs 378.74 on an Intel Core i7 5930K, 16GB DDR4 using Win10 x64. Ashes of the Singularity, Crazy Preset (46.5, 50.9 or 9%), Tom Clancy's The Division 1.6, Max Settings + 1x SMAA Ultra (31.5, 32.7 or 4%) Hitman, High Settings + High SSAO (50.6, 62.1 or 23%), Rise of the Tomb Raider, Very High + 2x SSAA (20.5, 27.2 or 33%), and Gears of War 4, Ultra Preset (41.2, 45.2 or 10%).
NVIDIA Brings World's Most Advanced Real-Time Simulation and Rendering Technologies to DX12, Raising Game Realism to New Levels
http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-announces-gameworks-dx12

Cheers

Well if used with the right models it does.
Problem is people are trying those BIOS on models that are not the 1080 HOF nor the very top 1080 Strix card.
But this is an expensive way to access say 1.2V.
Cheers

As much as I enjoy the OC headroom on the 780 Lightnings(custom BIOS), I think that the days where more voltage = significantly more performance (in GPUs at least) might be going away. And, to be honest, I think I am OK with that as the performance increase should more than make up for the lack of OC head room. Although he did say there is 10-20% OC capability last night, but I took that with a grain of salt.

With Pascal sometimes you should actually undervolt, as going to the upper end of the voltage curve causes instability due to heat. Keeping the cores <50oC seems to give you much better headroom than going above 1.093V.

I know it will never happen but I'd really like to see a price cut on the Titan. At least try to tempt me to buy another card, Nvidia.

As much as I enjoy the OC headroom on the 780 Lightnings(custom BIOS), I think that the days where more voltage = significantly more performance (in GPUs at least) might be going away. And, to be honest, I think I am OK with that as the performance increase should more than make up for the lack of OC head room. Although he did say there is 10-20% OC capability last night, but I took that with a grain of salt.
And then there is no need for water cooling on Pascal, the good AIB versions reach same ceiling as water, the voltage is capped at 1.1V.
Consider how well the air cooled AIB 980ti did and imagine if they stayed voltage locked, so not entirely convinced one needs more than air AIB this time as both models are 250W and Pascal will not go above 1.1V without specific BIOS from manufacturer (which so far only 2 offer).
Cheers

Last edited:
And then there is no need for water cooling on Pascal, the good AIB versions reach same ceiling as water, the voltage is capped at 1.1V.
Consider how well the air cooled AIB 980ti did and imagine if they stayed voltage locked, so not entirely convinced one needs more than air AIB this time as both models are 250W and Pascal will not go above 1.1V without specific BIOS from manufacturer (which so far only 2 offer).
Cheers

Yep, I agree 100%. But I already have a full loop so I might as well use it. If I was starting from scratch or not having a full loop already, I wouldn't WC.

With Pascal sometimes you should actually undervolt, as going to the upper end of the voltage curve causes instability due to heat. Keeping the cores <50oC seems to give you much better headroom than going above 1.093V.

This behavior should become more and more pronounced with each node shrink, lower average chip temp means faster dissipation of heat from hot spots.
As for the 1080ti, even if the memory used on the Ti can clock higher I doubt it will offer any significant advantage over the Titan X.

Nobody expected 11GB of memory, lol, even though it was immediately obvious this was a possibility with the changes to back end with Pascal (double mc count; 8 rop per mc, 2 mc per 64b)

Edit:

As for Vega, I dont see how it will be relevant at this point with no release date in sight, it's going to compete with 1080ti at best, and no matter what they do it will be more expensive to produce than Ti

This behavior should become more and more pronounced with each node shrink, lower average chip temp means faster dissipation of heat from hot spots.
As for the 1080ti, even if the memory used on the Ti can clock higher I doubt it will offer any significant advantage over the Titan X.

Nobody expected 11GB of memory, lol, even though it was immediately obvious this was a possibility with the changes to back end with Pascal (double mc count; 8 rop per mc, 2 mc per 64b)

Edit:

As for Vega, I dont see how it will be relevant at this point with no release date in sight, it's going to compete with 1080ti at best, and no matter what they do it will be more expensive to produce than Ti
Everything AMD has shown us so far shows Vega barely keeping up with a 1080. I don't think they have anything to compete with GP102.

I don't see the price cuts showing up yet on Newegg or Amazon for the 1080/1070

So I'm gonna hopefully pre order 2 from nvidia directly tomorrow if I can get them. I also need one of their HB sli bridges but I'm not sure if on my board I need the biggest one of the middle one. I know I need to use slots 1 and 3 on my x99 deluxe with my 40 lane cpu but not sure of bridge size. It looks like I would need the biggest one to make the jump across the empt x2 pci-e slot but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone?

Sounds like it is the extended spaced 2a bridge you're after. Or use a 3 way sli bridge.

Is tri sli still a no go with the new cards?

You can enable it but NVIDIA no longer even bothers to do anything with regard to supporting it. Frankly, 3-Way SLI hasn't worked all that well in most games since the 8800GTX days so I wouldn't get your hopes up about that changing anytime soon.

I haven't seen it go live. Ugh

Did it sell out pre-orders already? Did they fumble?

Last edited:
Back