NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for First Quarter Fiscal 2019

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Nvidia is really on a roll these days and their earnings are a reflection of just how dominant they are in the GPU/AI/Datacenter markets. They are reporting record revenue in Q1 that's up 66 percent from last year Q1. With results like this it's easy to see how they can continue to fund their R&D at high levels. Their financial results can be viewed here and they are broken down by the different markets they are participating in. Also, Nvidia is saying that gaming is strong and they expect GPU's to be more readily available at MSRP going forward. Thanks cageymaru.

“We had a strong quarter with growth across every platform,” said Jensen Huang, founder and chief executive officer of NVIDIA. “Our datacenter business achieved another record and gaming remained strong.

No wonder they needed GPP, I'm kind of worried about their survival now that they've canned being transparent about stuff :-\

Funny, I would assume a guy like you would be more worried about Thanos or Eric Magnus, over a middle aged asian guy in a black leather jacket.

Investment people are an odd bunch...........

A company has a huge quarter and makes a shit ton of money, and they are worried about the 9 percent that came from mining.

jesus...............

From article:
The Santa Clara, California company for the first time disclosed that it made $289 million in sales - about 9 percent of its overall $3.2 billion in revenue - from chips for mining cryptocurrencies.

Revenue from Nvidia’s data center business, which powers cloud-based services such as Amazon.com’s (AMZN.O) Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Corp’s (MSFT.O) Azure as well as Alphabet Inc’s (GOOGL.O) Google Cloud, rose 71 percent to $701 million, but missed analysts’ estimate of $703 million, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

Revenue from Nvidia’s best-known business of gaming chips rose 68 percent to $1.72 billion, beating analysts’ average estimate of $1.65 billion.

Revenue from Nvidia’s automotive business, which includes its Drive platform used in self-driving cars, rose 4 percent to $145 million, also topping analysts’ estimate of $132 million.

So above pretty much shows miners had less than 10% influence over Nvidia revenue while gamers had over 50% of the revenue. Even the automotive business which is utterly in the infantile stage of self driving cars was over half the amount from miners alone (wait when that takes off - it will dwarf gamers if successful). I call it it utter BS that miners are the reason or even the significant part for the gaming card shortages. GPU's in other areas have exploded, just data centers etc. was a 71% increase year to year - you only have so many parts, so much a foundry can make etc.

I believe AMD indicated 6% overall. Today's shortages of gaming cards are less a miners cause then the many other causes. As for miners not buying cards as much is pretty much seasonal or maybe I should say Crypto seasons. I predict it will explode in the future - yet again.

Investment people are an odd bunch...........

A company has a huge quarter and makes a shit ton of money, and they are worried about the 9 percent that came from mining.

jesus...............

If your margin is 9% and you lose 9%, yes that is a big deal. Your margin will actually be negative. margin increases exponentially as your market share increases. It's because there's a base operating cost to running the company that always takes away from your profit no matter how much or little you sell. So selling more divest those cost out making profit margin bigger.

If your margin is 9% and you lose 9%, yes that is a big deal. Your margin will actually be negative. margin increases exponentially as your market share increases. It's because there's a base operating cost to running the company that always takes away from your profit no matter how much or little you sell. So selling more divest those cost out making profit margin bigger.
So you are saying Nvidia had zero allocations for Crypto and perfectly planned for the 71% of data centers and increase in gamings but no clue about Crypto? Crypto hit big over a year ago, Nvidia didn't know? Did not plan for it? BS

Last edited:
From article:

So above pretty much shows miners had less than 10% influence over Nvidia revenue while gamers had over 50% of the revenue. Even the automotive business which is utterly in the infantile stage of self driving cars was over half the amount from miners alone (wait when that takes off - it will dwarf gamers if successful). I call it it utter BS that miners are the reason or even the significant part for the gaming card shortages. GPU's in other areas have exploded, just data centers etc. was a 71% increase year to year - you only have so many parts, so much a foundry can make etc.

I believe AMD indicated 6% overall. Today's shortages of gaming cards are less a miners cause then the many other causes. As for miners not buying cards as much is pretty much seasonal or maybe I should say Crypto seasons. I predict it will explode in the future - yet again.
I am sure a lot of the gamer revenue was people buying cards for mining. How do they know what you using the card? 9% might of just been the direct sales to Chinese mining farms.

I am sure a lot of the gamer revenue was people buying cards for mining. How do they know what you using the card? 9% might of just been the direct sales to Chinese mining farms.
Actually a very good point, now I am wondering if the 9% Nvidia quoted is from their Mining version of the cards??? Also how would one know if a card bought was for mining, gaming or both? So maybe not BS after all except on another thread the actual mining hashrates were used to calculate the number of cards and it is aligning up well with the 9% figure or rough about. Nvidia maybe knows more than one thinks dealing with their card usage - wonder what kind of feedback Nvidia is getting with their drivers and Cuda usage?

I've have not seen anything concrete saying that mining is the big reason for the drought of gaming cards - all the numbers point more to a combination of things mostly pointing to the rapid increase in use for GPUs in other things. I believe AMD indicated a mass shortage of ram also contributing to the drought.

with the amount of background data collection more or less auto-submitted to Nvidia (unless someone who is savvy can completely turn it off or not use in the first place) they likely know more or less exactly how many folks are mining or gaming etc at any given time within a few %.

I will give kudos to Ngreedia for one thing only, they are very savvy about finding ways to increase revenue and reduce cost to produce their products (even if it means reduction in other metrics)

still hell of fked up that Nv reports 2019 earning and we are only in 2018, I guess they must use beyond light speed super computing products that no one else has access to basically leapfrogging an entire year in the future ahead of everyone else o_O ?

Reactions: noko
like this
So you are saying Nvidia had zero allocations for Crypto and perfectly planned for the 71% of data centers and increase in gamings but no clue about Crypto? Crypto hit big over a year ago, Nvidia didn't know? Did not plan for it? BS

I didn't say that at all. All I said is if nvidia lost 9% share, yes it's a big f'n deal to their bottom line. Just basic business math. And that's what investors know.

with the amount of background data collection more or less auto-submitted to Nvidia (unless someone who is savvy can completely turn it off or not use in the first place) they likely know more or less exactly how many folks are mining or gaming etc at any given time within a few %.

I will give kudos to Ngreedia for one thing only, they are very savvy about finding ways to increase revenue and reduce cost to produce their products (even if it means reduction in other metrics)

still hell of fked up that Nv reports 2019 earning and we are only in 2018, I guess they must use beyond light speed super computing products that no one else has access to basically leapfrogging an entire year in the future ahead of everyone else o_O ?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but they are reporting Fiscal Year 2019 not Calendar Year 2019, those two are mostly never in sync for a lot of companies.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but they are reporting Fiscal Year 2019 not Calendar Year 2019, those two are mostly never in sync for a lot of companies.
QFT. Business year (fiscal) typically ends Oct 31st.

Back