Nvidia announcement livestream 5/6/2016 @6PM PST

Is it under the assumption it's going to be a 980ti successor or does anyone know if we are "supposed" to expect a 970 successor as well?

Pretty solid rumors on the 1080 and 1070. Some rumors say 3 SKUs will be announced, so possibly a 1060ti also.

Surprised it's 6PM PST; that "power of 10" ARG timer ends at 9AM PST that same day.

Pretty solid rumors on the 1080 and 1070. Some rumors say 3 SKUs will be announced, so possibly a 1060ti also.

Surprised it's 6PM PST; that "power of 10" ARG timer ends at 9AM PST that same day.

Has a Ti ever launched before the normal card using the same model number?

Yes, the 750Ti did. I'm sure there were others. It's just marketing fluff, but the thought is they want to emphasize that GP104 is a powerful foundation.

Has a Ti ever launched before the normal card using the same model number?
The 780 Ti was the first NVIDIA card released at the enthusiast level to use the Ti moniker again, so you can't really compare. However, the last time the full chip was released first in a series was the GTX 680, so it wasn't too long ago. Before that, both the GTX 480 and GTX 580 in the Fermi architecture were also released first.

Sorry I'm trying to keep up, the 1070 is supposed to be the 970 successor I'm assuming

Yep. Both are GP104, and they will be differentiated either by being binned/cut-down or via GDDR5x vs. GDDR5. Or both, which could account for latest rumors of 3 SKUs.

Quite possibly 1080=full fat with GDDR5x, 1070=full fat w/GDDR5, 1060ti=binned w/GDDR5.

Last edited:
The 780 Ti was the first NVIDIA card released at the enthusiast level to use the Ti moniker again, so you can't really compare. However, the last time the full chip was released first in a series was the GTX 680, so it wasn't too long ago. Before that, both the GTX 480 and GTX 580 in the Fermi architecture were also released first.

The GTX 480 was a cut-down chip, from what I recall.

The 560 Ti was released before the 560, I think. The 660 Ti was released before the 660 as well..

Does anybody know when a Titan X or 980Ti successor will arrive? Don't really care for these mid range cards sold at high end prices.

It'll probably be awhile, and the highest of the highest end will probably be sometime next year.

The HPC peeps have their dibs first, and then we have to consider how good the yields are for consumer cards, etc.

all I really want is 980ti performance + 20% - willing to pay 500-600... on a nice MSI custom cooler platform. Make it happen nvidia!

nope. no soup for you.

these mid range = 10-15% more!

speculation
speculation
! ! !

Actually hope they are stronger. Ill pick up a cheap 980ti to SLI!

Looks like Steam is going to need more storage for images. Imgur also.

Back