NVIDIA Annouces Quad SLI

Can hardly wait for the [H] review...hopefully they'll add gaming experiences with the 2405 and the new 30" monitor.

Sunin said:
4x7800GTX512's = 4x600 = $2,400 in just video cards??? I mean I have a good job an all, but damn, who would spend that much.. my 3.2EE system didnt' cost that much!!!!
Dude... You're buying from Dell.....

Dell Isn't gonna sell a single GTX 512 for $600. Every retailer is selling them for at least $700. Most are selling for $750. Dell is gonna be at least that much.

Secondly, there are four cards occupying 2 PCIEx16 lanes. This means that the cards (2 and 2) are not going to be regular GTX 512s. So that means there is going to be a short supply and our wallets are screwed.

And from what I can tell, you DO get 1GB usable RAM with this as opposed to the 512MB when you pair two regular GTX 512s together.

Oh and fix the link.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/slizone_quadsli.html

I seem to remember gigabyte having a 4 x PCI-e motherboard

Does this mean 8 gpus?

I'm betting that dell is going to cost over $5,000

wow now maybe BF2 will finally run well. yay for overkill! seriously how bout cpu limitations?

spaceman said:
wow now maybe BF2 will finally run well. yay for overkill! seriously how bout cpu limitations?

2gb ram DDR-2-667
dual core, p4 955 @ 4.26 Ghz
Probably not much of an issue.

trek554 said:
that Dell has flames painted on the case. well with that 4.25 overclocked dual core P4 and 4 gpu cores theres goning to be REAL flames inside the case. how will they keep it cooled down??

Thats the whole thing that stunned me from a company like dell, i have always bought dell PCs (exept my current one). Its a hudge step in a bright direction from dell, first the SLI chipset now the first company to sell Quad SLI in a real working configuration, its a great idea, but now there only leap now is convert to AMD to make the high end gamers to fully convert to dell.

Malogato said:
I seem to remember gigabyte having a 4 x PCI-e motherboard

Does this mean 8 gpus?

What the hell would anyone do with 8 GPU's? Four is overkill, eight is absolutely whacked-out, flipped-out, insanity.

I agree...i thought sli was a waste. Now this quad stuff is completely off the hook. Make dual core GPU's, this is nothing more then bs hype to charge maximum dollar for minimal gain :p (do you really think game publishers are going to fill that system out?)

If ATI wants to battle back, make dual core and go cheap. Only an ass would ever spend that much on a system like that.

STR said:
What the hell would anyone do with 8 GPU's? Four is overkill, eight is absolutely whacked-out, flipped-out, insanity.

So we can crank up the AA and AF on our HD Holographic 3D monitors of course :p

What kind of PSU does this beast have? or PSU's or external power bricks? I wonder if it would be able to render the movie Final Fantasy:The Spirits Within movie in real time, pixel for pixel? Because if it can then this pc would friggin own SG renderfarms!!!

So looking at Dell's site, they say dual 1GB 7800 GTX cards. So is this basiclly 4 512 GTX GPU's?

So will nVidia sell a dual slot dual core 1GB 7800 GTX cards this spring? If they could make it cost what the 7800 512 GTX is going for at retail, say $750 a card, I think they might have an awesome product. If this will work in my A8N32-SLI, I might be tempted to try it.

Also, if this isn't comming out till Q2, I wonder what high end products would be coming out as well. I would find it hard to believe that the 7900 would be comming out when Dell is pimping the 7800 hardware.

Oh well, more stuff that's exspensive!

Will work for quad GPU's.

2GB Corsair 3500LL Pro Memmory
2x BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC in SLI
3x Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB HDD in RAID-0
2x hp dvd740 DVD Writer optical drive | 1x Mitsumi FA404M 7-in-1 USB 2.0 card reader and floppy drive
Antec P180 case
Enermax EG851AX-VH 660W Power Supply
Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 1600x1200 LCD Monitor

Wow, I haven't seen anything like this, well since:

171951eh.jpg

Here's my recommendation for a power supply for the quad SLI:
http://www.msi-pse.com/PS2000.htm

I just configured a system with the dual GTX 512's at Dell. 6K! Way over priced! Heck, you can get an Alienware like my sig system for around 4.3k, and I built the sig system for only around 4k.

2x hp dvd740 DVD Writer optical drive | 1x Mitsumi FA404M 7-in-1 USB 2.0 card reader and floppy drive
Antec P180 case

Ultra Wide said:
ATi vs. nVidia

GAME OVER.

Yeah obviously every gamer on the planet just happens to have about 6k laying around doing nothing in paticular. :rolleyes:

foofighter06 said:
Funny you should mention real flames.

Im pretty sure thats what the artist that painted the case calls his work...It's either real flames or real fire. Either way the paint job looks awesome. The guy was on TLC rides once or twice. He does awesome work. 3D looking flames. Which suit the heat the 3D cards will be puttin' out.

I totally want 4 of those systems.

True Flames.

I don't think that 6k is what this will go for.

Historically, a high end DIY uber system can be had for about 4.5k. Still a lot, but at the same time, put 4 high end processors into the box, and you're not going to be upgrading anytime soon. My guess is that if this technology can't handle eveything thrown at it for two years, it's almost pointless.

I think that this is sort of inline with where these companies are going. Like CPU's, cranking up single GPU core performace 100%+ every year is probably reaching an end. So, espcially with the easily parallel world of 3d rendering, throw more GPU's at it.

Like CPU's, it should be almost "free" to add the second core after a die shrink.

Antec P180 case

Borgschulze said:
True Flames.

Well, the 512 GTX's pull around 80 watts under heavy load and the dual core P4 pulls around 90-100

So, let's see 80x4 + 100 + miscellaneous (30x number of hard drives...) = 420 watts + miscellaneous

Say everything else takes up about 100 watts, you'd need a 520 watt power supply running at full efficiency to make tht thing work. Considering most power supplies run at around 60% efficiency (maybe) you'd need a power supply rated around 900 wats or just a 600 watt, VERY efficient power supply (see shuttle's 250 watt power supply)

Hey when 2010 rolls around and games are using 64bit programming architecture, and able to support the native rez of a 30" monitor I will consider it. Although by then we will be using cell chip technology, so then that means i will have to wait another 5+ years till everything is mainstream and programmers are using the 5 year old technology to program.
Why do hardware companies do this, you know what i think they all have time machines and yearly go on field trips together. Now thats why 64bit was released and programmers are still doing 32bit, cause all oem companies sell emt64 and x64 newegg too is thinning its selection of processors.
Back on track though, that this quad-sli is so unecessary yet insanely cool. Im torn on whether to love this advanced technology or to dislike it cause it always makes me feel as if im lagging cause im only on single core processor with a single core video card.

I disagree that it is unnecessary. When I got my dual 512 GTX's, my biggest concern was gaming at 1920x1600. Even they won't run some of todays games like F.E.A.R. and CoD2 at maximum detail and 4aa/16af at that resolution. I would imagine that 4 might do the trick however.

If nVidia can release a quad 512 GTX solution costing what the dual is costing today, then I might be sold. $1500 is reasonable for that kind of power, $2k might be a little hard to swallow, but that's still cheaper per GPU than what I paid for my current setup.

So my guess is that nVidia's next high end part will be a dual 512 GTX on a single card, allowing two of those to work in SLI. Dell's site said that there system is an nForce 4 X16, same as mine, so hopefully a BIOS is all that would be needed to upgrade to this, plus $2k!

Oh, and another SLI bridge connector!

Antec P180 case

arabdon1203 said:
I hate it, further separation from low end to high end.

Let's not bring politics into this.

As far as the quad-SLI thing goes, just... :eek: ! I'm running a Shuttle SN25P rig with one 7800GT and it's blazing-fast at 1680x1050 on my Dell 2005FPW... I've kind of wished I could upgrade to an SLI setup, but then I remind myself that newer cards would own it in short order. I want a dual-core GPU on one card... two cards is a bit out there, but FOUR in one system just for graphics for games?! Wow... just, wow... I really hope they make a dual-core GPU card in a 1-slot solution.

A few thoughts:

1) For quite some time, I've been wondering why nVidia hadn't released anything quad-SLI for the build-it-yourself crowd. Pictures of four-PCIe-x16-slot motherboards have been floating around for quite a while. And we've known all along that SLI is capable of scaling beyond two video cards. I guess nVidia and Dell struck a sweetheart deal--Dell gets to be the first to introduce quad-SLI systems ("Most powerful gaming computer in the world!"), and nVidia gets to sell lots of high-priced video cards. Some few hard-core gamers with loose cash and nothing to lose may feel shafted, but that's the risk nVidia takes.

2) I guess we all now know why availability of 7800 GTX 512MB cards has been...lacking.

3) This is Quad-SLI. Four cards, each with 512MB RAM. Each core has 512MB, not 1GB.

4) That will have to be one heck of a PSU. Or PSUs.

5) This is bleeding-edge, so expect at least $4000 for the four (yeah, it's two from some POV) cards, and total cost of....my prediction is $7999. Plus $2200 for the 30" display.

6) The problem of obsolescence is an interesting one. The 7800 core has been out for a while, and nVidia typically introduces a new series of cards in the summer. Which gives this quad-SLI rig about three months before its cores are outdated, although overall performance will still be tops. I would expect that a pair of cards (in SLI) released in the summer of 2007 will outperform this rig, much like a 7800 GTX vs a 6800 Ultra.

I think this reGODDAMNEDdiculous! :mad: This is just too much. The 7800s are barely out before the N71 chip is announced and now this!

$2000 per card? No, more like $1000, maybe a little less, unless this is another VERY limited edition card. At $2000 a pop, nVidia won't be able to sell enough to make any money.

Are we not forgetting that every year, hardware tech companies try to sell us smaller packages with more transistors. That's really what its all about when it comes to hardware. Smaller packages and more transistors. This is just another way to do it.

Initially the price will be a little high, but if nVidia is going to mass market this technology, it will quickly fall. I would imagine that all of there cards are capable of doing quad, SLI scales beyond even 4 GPU's I believe.

Antec P180 case

Guys,

Can you not see how amazing this is? If this system could render some insane graphics, can you imagine what's coming in the summer?

Followed by the absolutely STUNNING graphics that will follow with it.

I dream of the day that playing a game will look and feel like you're there.

Why are the cards so long? I could see it if there were two gpus on one PCB, but there are two PCBs there...

Nvidia's going to need to start their own financing division soon. I can just see the salesman:

"so how much video card do you want to buy today?"

"Don't think about total cost, what can you afford a month?"

:p

It's amazing.

I want it, can't afford it, still love it.

Seems like there is going to be more power there than any LCD will really be capable of truely showing off.

That Dell 30" has a 11ms reponse time. Seems to me we need improved LCD technology so we don't have $10,000 gaming rigs that have ghosting problems.

I don't think LCD's can even properly represent the capabilities of the graphics cards we have now much less that crazy beast.

Can't wait to see what the experts say in their reviews.............

Jonsey said:
Why are the cards so long? I could see it if there were two gpus on one PCB, but there are two PCBs there...

My guess would be that this is first generation, as such the extra components needed to bridge the two PCB's together haven't been optimized. The 2nd generation of this concept should have the bugs worked out and the PCB's will approach the size of normal cards.

Still, Gigabyte was able to do quite well with its dual core 7800 (though the 1st gen 6800 was on the chunky side), it worked out well enough that you'd think nVidia would have gone that route. Meh, maybe with the 8800.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I must have it! :eek:

Yeah I want 2 of those bad boys too, to go with my A8N32 SLI Mobo but we would first need to get the 1kw power supply!!!. LOL!!!! :eek:

So... Does this mean nvidia will release drivers with quad gpu support, and you could use the other 2 gpu cards in sli?

whats the point of releasing it in the spring when they will have a G71 well before then? that also means a few months after you drop 7 or 8 grand the G80 will be out too. what a waste of money. :confused: :eek:

so im guessing this works with current SLI mobo's? or would we have to buy new ones to support these things....

Back