Nvidia and 4k HDR TV

Dazinek

n00b
Hey all,

Want to understand this fully and get this figured out..

I am wanting the best possible picture out of my 4k tv (Samsung 55in MU8000), Supports up to 10bit and has HDR.

In nvidia settings when I am at the color settings what exactly do I set everything at? RGB then full output dynamic range? If so, That only gives 8bpc apparently. Or do I use YCbCr422 and then use 10 bpc? That leaves the output dynamic range only to limited...

Anyone wanna help me with this? Thanks!

Use Windows 10's HDR settings. It's necessary, because HDR isn't just changing the color depth to 10-bit, it's also changing the Color Space.

Settings->System->Display->Play HDR Games and Apps. This automaycally selec ts 10-bit and 4:2:0 for you.

If it's greyed-out, try a different cable, and make sure you have HDR enabled under your TV's settings.

You have to have at least a Maxwell video card to support HDMI 2.0. You can do HDR over DisplayPort, but it requires a more expensive v1.3 converter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nenu
like this
Use Windows 10's HDR settings. It's necessary, because HDR isn't just changing the color depth to 10-bit, it's also changing the Color Space.

Settings->System->Display->Play HDR Games and Apps. This automaycally selec ts 10-bit and 4:2:0 for you.

If it's greyed-out, try a different cable, and make sure you have HDR enabled under your TV's settings.

You have to have at least a Maxwell video card to support HDMI 2.0. You can do HDR over DisplayPort, but it requires a more expensive v1.3 converter.
It may not change the colour space.
I use RGB full normally.
When I turn on HDR in Windows, my Q9FN TV remains RGB full but uses HDR 8 bit.
I can change to 4:2:0 HDR 10 if I choose, but HDR 8 looks great 99% of the time.

Your comment about Maxwell is correct.

Are you using an hdmi 2.0a or b cable?
I am using a HDMI 2.0 cable.

It may not change the colour space.
I use RGB full normally.
When I turn on HDR in Windows, my Q9FN TV remains RGB full but uses HDR 8 bit.
I can change to 4:2:0 HDR 10 if I choose, but HDR 8 looks great 99% of the time.

Your comment about Maxwell is correct.

So I should just enable HDR(which I do) in windows and have nvidia be set at RGB full? Or should I just have the "default color settings" radio button checked? also should I never use YCbCr on the TV?

So I should just enable HDR(which I do) in windows and have nvidia be set at RGB full? Or should I just have the "default color settings" radio button checked? also should I never use YCbCr on the TV?

You need a graphics card that supports HDMI 2.0 (you havent told us what you are using).
The result with HDR 8 may not look as good on your TV, mine is a newer version of your TV.
I made that point in case it doesnt look good enough, to demonstrate you might need to change to ycbcr 4:2:0 to get HDR 10.
Issue it might present is colour banding. I have only seen it happen with HDR 8 in one movie, HDR games look great.

ps
I dont know if your TV supports HDR 8, it might not.

You need a graphics card that supports HDMI 2.0 (you havent told us what you are using).
The result with HDR 8 may not look as good on your TV, mine is a newer version of your TV.
I made that point in case it doesnt look good enough, to demonstrate you might need to change to ycbcr 4:2:0 to get HDR 10.
Issue it might present is colour banding. I have only seen it happen with HDR 8in one movie, HDR games look great.
Ah my apologies, I am using a Strix 2080 Ti. When I go into the color settings, the only one that will let me set it at 10bit is 4:2:2. 4:2:0 only has 8 and 12.

According to Rtings, the mu8000 also supports HDR10

Last edited:
Ah my apologies, I am using a Strix 2080 Ti. When I go into the color settings, the only one that will let me set it at 10bit is 4:2:2. 4:2:0 only has 8 and 12.

According to Rtings, the mu8000 also supports HDR10
Yeah I struggle to get 4:2:0 as well.
Use 4:2:2, its better than 4:2:0 anyway.

Yeah I struggle to get 4:2:0 as well.
Use 4:2:2, its better than 4:2:0 anyway.

Right, compressed video just defaults to 4:2:0, because motion does not require any higher definition. 4:2:2 is actually what Windows HDR switches your video card into

HDMI 2.0 doesn't have the bandwidth for YCbCr 4:4:4 or full RGB above 8-bit color at 4K.

Back