NVIDIA Ampere GPU Rumored for April Launch

Truth be told, every guide I've read has been shit, so I've said "Fuck it"
Also, always be aware that selling in a down market is a horrible idea too. About ten years ago people were selling $1000 comics for $2-10, the entire market has come back and those people must be kicking themselves daily. I rode it out and all my books are worth more than ever. Never think a market can't turn around.

I am utterly flattened by this comment. You can't even write a batch file or configure a miner software in 3 steps? Did you graduate Kindygarten?

While you were being dense as a block of wood, I made six figures and about $ 8,000 per hour of work so far! LOL Keep it up numbnuts! I am getting fat rich! LOL

Don't count your chickens,

the-taxman-cometh.jpg

And not a single butthole will be spared.

Lets assume that he is talking pure profit without any costs -- assuming he paid the 35% or whatever thats still $75,000 more then he had if he was not mining. Its my ultimate goal to do as he is doing. I love computer hardware, i love building the rigs, and i love watching the currency pour in. What he and i cannot figure out, is why so many people on these forums are against it. We are all here because we love computers right?

Don't count your chickens,

the-taxman-cometh.jpg

And not a single butthole will be spared.
No problem, when you mine when the coins are cheap, then profit later, It's not that big of a deal, it's a cost of doing business. If you don't know what you are doing or don't have a tax lawyer, you are right, get ready. I'm doing fine because I have been in businesses long enough to know what I need to do, and don't just dive into something unless I get good advisors and do the research.

Lets assume that he is talking pure profit without any costs -- assuming he paid the 35% or whatever thats still $75,000 more then he had if he was not mining. Its my ultimate goal to do as he is doing. I love computer hardware, i love building the rigs, and i love watching the currency pour in. What he and i cannot figure out, is why so many people on these forums are against it. We are all here because we love computers right?
I agree, I just try to correct things I see on here that are wrong. Please do your research. I'm a miner and a PC gamer since the early 1990s. No reason for all the hate. Either go with the flow or be overwhelmed. I'd rather tell people in 10 years I was for cryptocoins, even if it crashes. It's a good thing.

Life is one big gamble, if you have no coin in the game, don't expect to win.

I think a lot of it comes from videocard prices. The jump in pricing for videocards is historically unprecedented at the same time the PC gaming market has never been bigger. I think it fuels a lot of the divide.

lets hope they put anti compute use stuff in this like locking the cards to 2 per system

From what I noob'bly understand, it's unlikely. Mining software uses the same extensions of graphics software to make a graphic card process its code. So if you write code that has graphic extensions the gpu will process it as it would real graphic data. Its tricking the gpu to process 'other-than-graphics-code'. Its why cuda was written in the first place.

If they accomplish it though, it will be the next way for a hacker to figure out a way around.

Reactions: Parja
like this
Nvidia the girl never leaves you unless the Crypto Kids get them all

Ooh, boy. I hope I dont hate where this could go, but where did that come from and could you say that in a less - I love comic's - comixspeech?

Sounds cool but i am missing the relationship.

I think a lot of it comes from videocard prices. The jump in pricing for videocards is historically unprecedented at the same time the PC gaming market has never been bigger. I think it fuels a lot of the divide.

I see the next conspiracy theory comming soon: "bitcoin creator financed by mega graphic card manufacturers to create a secondary market for their products".

If Nvidia is smart, and unfortunately they are, these new cards will have extremely high MSRP prices until the mining craze drops down. Nvidia is not going to let Newegg and it's partners have the lions share of the profit. Expect the GTX 2080 to be 50% faster than the GTX 1080 and carry a $799-899 price tag initially. Then when the craze subsides (hopefully it will soon), prices will drop to $599-649 and everyone will be like "WOW AMAZING DEALS!"

That's pretty close to norm for what they do already but I'd go even further and slap another $50+ on them. From mining, ram shortages, and ram exclusives, there's plenty of reasons for them to jack up the price even more. I totally agree with you about how they're unlikely to keep the price tiers they've previously held thus allowing the re-sellers the bigger slices.

Roughly every gen someone breaks out with a graph showing how little has actually changed in relation to inflation, etc., and model/price tiers over the last 20 or so years. I hate to say it, but that's probably going to change drastically the next round. I hope I'm wrong.

It just dawned on me. I'm often explaining how hi-res textures eat up ram in 4k and I've seen the 8-11GB ceiling get hit in numerous games on 1080,1080TI's. I don't believe mining needs the ram, more so just the gpu. If these manufacturers really wanted to help both communities and possibly increase their own profits they'd make non-moddable versions of the cards with the ram stripped down to minimum. Those would be perfect for mining, decrease the demand for ram, and maybe increase the availability of cards for the gamer's. I know it's more of a fantasy but still a nice idea.

It just dawned on me. I'm often explaining how hi-res textures eat up ram in 4k and I've seen the 8-11GB ceiling get hit in numerous games on 1080,1080TI's. I don't believe mining needs the ram, more so just the gpu. If these manufacturers really wanted to help both communities and possibly increase their own profits they'd make non-moddable versions of the cards with the ram stripped down to minimum. Those would be perfect for mining, decrease the demand for ram, and maybe increase the availability of cards for the gamer's. I know it's more of a fantasy but still a nice idea.

Depends on the algorithm. ETH needs the memory IIRC.

Ooh, boy. I hope I dont hate where this could go, but where did that come from and could you say that in a less - I love comic's - comixspeech?

Sounds cool but i am missing the relationship.

CryptoKids.png

I had no idea this was a actual comic until I did a image search I was talking about the GPU hoarders actually.

They should make a "mining version" that just has a different bios and costs 2x as much as the "gaming version" which locks out any mining. Why let retailers pick up that extra 200% margin?

Here is an easy guide for you:

1.) create an account at nicehash
2.) download nicehash miner
3.) copy and paste your wallet address into nicehash miner
4.) press start

With nvidia cards, its that easy. With all that said, the big time profits are over. My 1080ti is only making $3 a day, but i am not doing it for the $3. I am doing it for the speculation then next xmas Bitcoin will hit another all time high. If i get $3 of bitcoin today and hold it until then. $3 a day becomes $15-20 and thats tangible

is it $3 before or after electricity costs?

is it $3 before or after electricity costs?

It fluctuates through out the day. sometimes im making $5 -- but at this moment I am making $3.31 before electric and about $2.73 after. Again, i am not cashing out today, so that $3 worth i mined might be worth $15 when i actually convert it to USD in December. I am speculating there will be a new all time high

Or some enterptising chip designer/manufacturer could manufacture a dedicated mining chip that is cheaper and more efficient than GPU's. That would fix the GPU shortage problem. The miners would all be selling their GPU's and the market would be flooded. Good for gamers ;);)

There are dedicated miners on the market. However, most people will never buy them, GPUs can mine most crpyos that are out or come out, a dedicated chip can only do one or two, and if they fall out of favor, you lost all investment, with a GPU, you just move on to the next best thing and keep going and when all is said and done, you can off load all the GPUs into a very in demand market, often times making even more money off the card.

extremely high MSRP prices until the mining craze drops down

Funny thing is that high retail cards - read top of the line models - dont have the same interest to mining as the mid range cards. Higher, purely graphics performance, comes at a higher cost to use since they eat more electricity. So 1080Ti's can still be found at around retail prices. Less stock, but not as affected as mid range cards. They use less power and some even sip electricity considering their mining performance, and cheaper also means faster return on investment.

Yes and no. 1080Tis are a $699 MSRP card. Aftermarket cooling usually no more than $800. You can't touch an aftermarket 1080Ti for under $849 due to retailers gouging. I'd happily buy one for $699, but not at $900+

like this
Funny thing is that high retail cards - read top of the line models - dont have the same interest to mining as the mid range cards. Higher, purely graphics performance, comes at a higher cost to use since they eat more electricity. So 1080Ti's can still be found at around retail prices. Less stock, but not as affected as mid range cards.

Yeah, that's simply not true.

Yeah, that's simply not true.

Welll, what was isnt anymore. Did a price check and see that there are many folks that are willing to offset the higher buy in of ti cards instead of the AMD midrange cards. 2G's for a 1G card.

Doesnt make sense to me unless there was an appreciable increase of the hash rate.

The difference between a $550 Rx 580 (29 mh/s) and a $2000 1080ti (32 mh/s) is about 3 mh/s and 65 watts. That means it takes longer to get any profit out of your mining rig. The 480 is even less in price, but is sold out everywhere.

You can find a 1080ti but it will cost you a premium for doing so. Shocked that folks are buying these for mining. Must make sense for those folks :cool:

Welll, what was isnt anymore. Did a price check and see that there are many folks that are willing to offset the higher buy in of ti cards instead of the AMD midrange cards. 2G's for a 1G card.

Doesnt make sense to me unless there was an appreciable increase of the hash rate.

The difference between a $550 Rx 580 (29 mh/s) and a $2000 1080ti (32 mh/s) is about 3 mh/s and 65 watts. That means it takes longer to get any profit out of your mining rig. The 480 is even less in price, but is sold out everywhere.

You can find a 1080ti but it will cost you a premium for doing so. Shocked that folks are buying these for mining. Must make sense for those folks :cool:

No one is mining eth with a 1080ti. My 1080tis are doing lyra, zec, etc where they are unmatched by anything else not counting a qwerky titan v

Am just waiting for everyone to start dumping used 1080s onto the market, I aint no how no way paying close on £1000 for a fucking video card.

Mining bastards.

Yea, you.

Ummm

Let’s try this again

https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

Keep in mind profits are WAAAY down right now.

A month ago my 1080ti were making $10 a day and my 8GB RX580 were making $5 a day. It’ll bounce back up out of this current valley. I think the whales are manipulating the market again. When they shake out the weak, they’ll shoot the market back up to new record highs.

Last edited:
like this
Well I hope by the time a TI comes out they give it enough Vram. At that point it should be a true 4k card and I can tell you 4k gaming chews up ram at the highest settings. I know they use what you give 'em, but I've seen numerous games tapping between 8-11GB in 4k. RE7, MEA, ROTR for a few.
Since GDDR6 doubled the density over GDDR5X I wouldn't be surprised if we see new cards with 16GB. They could theoretically go up to 48GB utilizing the Maxwell Titan X layout.

Lol where is Khah getting his pricing from? The eVGA SC2 was in stock for nearly 3 hours yesterday at $879.
Likewise seeing the Gaming X ($929) stay in stock for quite a while via Newegg's eBay front. Really makes me chuckle at people thinking they can still reasonably sell these anywhere close to $1k now.

(Some pour souls are still paying $1.1k to buy the STRIX at BHP. Now that's just highway robbery)

Since GDDR6 doubled the density over GDDR5X I wouldn't be surprised if we see new cards with 16GB. They could theoretically go up to 48GB utilizing the Maxwell Titan X layout.

16GB sounds about right. It's unlikely even a next gen GPU could process the amount of info it'd take to fill that for reasonable 60+fps/ultra/4k. 48GB would be around 8k needs, that is when the textures catch up, although at that point people will be truly angry or terrified of the drive space needed for them.

If Nvidia is smart, and unfortunately they are, these new cards will have extremely high MSRP prices until the mining craze drops down. Nvidia is not going to let Newegg and it's partners have the lions share of the profit. Expect the GTX 2080 to be 50% faster than the GTX 1080 and carry a $799-899 price tag initially. Then when the craze subsides (hopefully it will soon), prices will drop to $599-649 and everyone will be like "WOW AMAZING DEALS!"
We got the same doom and gloom with Pascal and saw how that turned out. Everyone was saying the 1080 Ti would be $850 and it launched at $699. The pricing model played out exactly like Kepler.

Hmmm ... in short, people were buying the ti cards because there are no RX/Vega/1060/70/80s anywhere to be found for msrp. They started hitting, 600/700/800, the next non looked at card was the 1080ti which was going for msrp.

Then they sold out and started to go for 1100-1400, with 1070s going for 900-100. So some folk decided to sell thier TI to buy Titan XPs and prices started to get worse from there.

TLDR, Nvidia became the option when AMD was gone, peeps realized Nvidia were not as bad as they were lead to believe. Also a 1-2K TI hashes better than no card...

Hmmm ... in short, people were buying the ti cards because there are no RX/Vega/1060/70/80s anywhere to be found for msrp. They started hitting, 600/700/800, the next non looked at card was the 1080ti which was going for msrp.

Then they sold out and started to go for 1100-1400, with 1070s going for 900-100. So some folk decided to sell thier TI to buy Titan XPs and prices started to get worse from there.

TLDR, Nvidia became the option when AMD was gone, peeps realized Nvidia were not as bad as they were lead to believe. Also a 1-2K TI hashes better than no card...
In the last eight months NVidia has been better than AMD if using multiminer pools like nicehash or awesomeminer. I can't attest to before that timeframe as I wasn't mining.
  • better drivers (and compatibility with great tools like MSI Afterburner)
  • higher profitability
  • less administrative effort
  • easier and more profitable undervolting (less heat, less electricity)

To hear someone say miners only bought NVidia because AMD cards were sold out is to hear a dyed in the wool ETH miner.

I've personally mined with
Fury X (2)
RX470 (6)
RX580 (14)
Vega 56 (2)
Vega 64 (1)

1060 (12)
1080TI (~30)

I've sold all my AMD cards now. I'm NVidia only mining going forward, unless things drastically change. My experience has been that NVidia are significantly superior mining cards than AMD cards for the reasons I listed above. Characterize my experience as Windows 10 only -- though. I tried a Linux run with SMOS, but had riser errors that were preventing it from running, never gave it another try after I got the riser issue figured out.

Last edited:
I almost think it would be a good thing to throw a massive jump in preformance and Jack the price WAY up. Any card under 1k will be swept up by miners like me and any patch or driver to prevent miners will be circumvented pretty quick. So why not release a 2-3k card and make a absolute monster at gaming.

I cant see many gamers paying 3 grand for a graphics card, I thought the 1060 was a popular card amongst gamer that are not hardcore.

Last edited:
I lost one week's worth of BTC because they were hacked, but I was mining all mine to a external wallet which deposited weekly. (ALWAYS MINE TO AN EXTERNAL WALLET - PREFERABLY YOUR OWN THAT YOU CONTROL THE PRIVATE KEYS)

Terrible advice. Mine to a Nicehash internal wallet. Then you can cash out to Coinbase for 0 fee every 0.002 BTC. From there, do whatever you want with it.

If you mine to an external wallet, Nicehash will only pay you out once your mined balance reaches 0.01 BTC (5x higher than for internal wallet).

Risk is MUCH lower mining to internal wallet.

Your data is 6+ months old...ancient history in the crypto world. Might want to get up to speed before trying to make a point.

Terrible advice. Mine to a Nicehash internal wallet. Then you can cash out to Coinbase for 0 fee every 0.002 BTC. From there, do whatever you want with it.
If you mine to an external wallet, Nicehash will only pay you out once your mined balance reaches 0.01 BTC (5x higher than for internal wallet).
Risk is MUCH lower mining to internal wallet.
well then we disagree on this point. I know all that and I chose external wallet.

1) I don't want Coinbase knowing everything I make (rumor is Coinbase is hosting nicehash wallet after the hack - hence why there is no fee transferring nicehash wallet to coinbase wallet) - Coinbase is turning over records to IRS in 2018 - does that include nicehash wallet info? -- assuming so - no thanks.

2) I don't want to micromanage things. Set it to my external wallet (safest option of all), and let it go. I have enough hashing power that I hit that .01 very fast. The amount of risk is acceptable to me - much more so than the alternative discussed in number 1. Also - Coinbase charges stupid fees to move to external wallet. Enjoy trying to move your .002BTC out of Coinbase daily. You'll go massively in the hole every day. So you'll say, just don't transfer out of coinbase until you accrue enough to negate fees?

Then the old adage applies...
---- NOT YOUR PRIVATE KEY, NOT YOUR BITCOIN

Last edited:
well then we disagree on this point. I know all that and I chose external wallet.

1) I don't want Coinbase knowing everything I make (rumor is Coinbase is hosting nicehash wallet after the hack - hence why there is no fee transferring nicehash wallet to coinbase wallet) - Coinbase is turning over records to IRS in 2018 - does that include nicehash wallet info? -- assuming so - no thanks.

If you want to avoid paying taxes, sure.

2) I don't want to micromanage things. Set it to my external wallet (safest option of all), and let it go. I have enough hashing power that I hit that .01 very fast. The amount of risk is acceptable to me - much more so than the alternative discussed in number 1. Also - Coinbase charges stupid fees to move to external wallet. Enjoy trying to move your .002BTC out of Coinbase daily. You'll go massively in the hole every day. So you'll say, just don't transfer out of coinbase until you accrue enough to negate fees?

Yeah, it's a little convoluted, but pretty easy to do with no fees. Nicehash wallet to Coinbase (no fee), Coinbase to GDAX (no fee), GDAX to anywhere (no fee). And you can do all of that in about 30 seconds.

Back