NVIDIA Allows AIB Partners to Launch GTX 1080, 1060 With Faster Memory

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Nvidia is going to allow their AIB partners to create custom overclocked cards with faster memory. The current GTX 1060 utilizes 8Gbps GDDR5 and the custom cards will utilize 9Gbps GDDR5. The stock GTX 1080 utilizes 10Gbps GDDR5X memory and the custom cards will have 11Gbps GDDR5X. This will allow for more flexibility in differentiating product lines.

These are to be sold by NVIDIA's AIB partners as overclocked cards, and don't represent a change to the official specifications on either graphics card. With this move, NVIDIA aims to give partners more flexibility in choosing memory speeds and carving different models of the same graphics card, with varying degrees of overclock, something which was particularly hard to do on conventional 10 Gbps-equipped GTX 1080's, which showed atypically low memory overclocking headroom.

I was thinking the 1070 would get an upgraded memory BW with new cards, but seems only 1060 an 1080.
Was thinking move to GDDR5x, as Volta might be off in distance yet.

So the memory taped out better than expected... now they can bin it and charge more for it? Any chance that overclocking would lead to the exact same result?

Hmm...1070 didn't get an official price cut like 1080 did with the 1080ti announcement, and now it's not getting any memory lovin' either. Seems like users needs a bit more competition in the 1070 space.

does faster ram make that much of a difference in these cards? What's the scaling like anyways?
I always thought that gpu clock speed had a much greater effect than ram speed.

I like this. The more open and free market the approach, the better it is for us consumers.

I would love to see what ASUS can do if given free reign of every aspect of the cards. Their coolers are already fantastic.

I didn't think GDDR5 would manufacture 9gbs vram. That's only 1gbs slower than current 1080 G5X speeds.

does faster ram make that much of a difference in these cards? What's the scaling like anyways?
It depends on setting you run in game, res, AA modes etc.
The higher you go the more ram memory BW helps.

I didn't think GDDR5 would manufacture 9gbs vram. That's only 1gbs slower than current 1080 G5X speeds.
When GDDR5x was outlined, I kind of remeber they said it would scale to 12-14gbs but first rollout chips would be clocked slower.
So now there using 11gbs speeds.

It depends on setting you run in game, res, AA modes etc.
The higher you go the more ram memory BW helps.
I know it helps, i'm just wondering if someone has quantified the amount it helps. If faster ram accounts for a 15% boost then sure, it helps a lot. If it's more like a 1% or fraction of 1% at a greater cost, is it really worth it? That's the question i have.

Hmm...1070 didn't get an official price cut like 1080 did with the 1080ti announcement, and now it's not getting any memory lovin' either. Seems like users needs a bit more competition in the 1070 space.

I read somewhere that the GTX 1070 were to be reduced to $349. I didn't pay much attention to it though, so no link. ;(

So the memory taped out better than expected... now they can bin it and charge more for it? Any chance that overclocking would lead to the exact same result?

Of course it will, I've never had any trouble overclocking any AIB 1080 to 11GHz memory.

When GDDR5x was outlined, I kind of remeber they said it would scale to 12-14gbs but first rollout chips would be clocked slower.

GDDR5X does have greater potential not fully realized yet, yes

The memory bump will probably make more of an impact on the 1060 than the 1080

I'm not talking about G5X specs though. The GTX 1060 uses GDDR5, and now some models will have 9gbps rated speed, up from the current top 8gbps.

The memory bump will probably make more of an impact on the 1060 than the 1080

I disagree. Proportional to ROP throughput, core count, and clock speed, the 1060 has a higher ratio of bandwidth available at 192 GB/s than the 1080 does at 320 GB/s.

I hope you're right though, I may be in the market for a GTX 1060 soon.

But I'm not surprised the 1070 doesn't get a bump. They purposefully limit it's bandwidth, even now when GDDR5X is available in-quantity.

glad i waited to buy my 1060 ..might wait a bit more now ..was gonna order a ROG strix version in a few weeks .. i always had good luck with ASUS GPU's

Hey maybe someday we can build a GPU like we build our PC and utilize external connectors for it.

Nvidia's basically saying a few things

1. 1070 gimped heres a few bucks off

2. 1080 was overpriced, heres $200 off

3. 1080 gen2 = 680 ~ 770 throwback...... throw in more VRAM 12/16GB, could be like the old 770 4GB cards I still have

thoughts?

But I'm not surprised the 1070 doesn't get a bump. They purposefully limit it's bandwidth, even now when GDDR5X is available in-quantity.

Agreed. While the 1070's core count and bandwidth was cut down from the 1080 in the exact same percentage, it still has a higher ratio throughput. It definitely could have gained from getting faster vram attached to it.

Back