Nvidia, all flavors, 3080 Ti owners thread

noko

Supreme [H]ardness
If you were able to obtain one, share any secrets and experiences, whenever your new toy or work horse arrives.

Anyways first time I've ever used the shuffle at Newegg and what do you know, I was able to buy a Gigabyte 3080 Ti Eagle for MSRP, $1199. Which may not be all that good in the scheme of things. Credit card charged and waiting on shipping from the Egg:
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...e-12gd/p/N82E16814932439?Item=N82E16814932439

1622747500452.png

I've entered the Newegg shuffle 50+ times, and had never been selected until today. It was for the EVGA 3080ti FTW3 and my order has been placed!

I'm excited but also nervous if that makes any sense. It's a lot of money, but it will last me a long time I figure.

If you were able to obtain one, share any secrets and experiences, whenever your new toy or work horse arrives.

Anyways first time I've ever used the shuffle at Newegg and what do you know, I was able to buy a Gigabyte 3080 Ti Eagle for MSRP, $1199. Which may not be all that good in the scheme of things. Credit card charged and waiting on shipping from the Egg:
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...e-12gd/p/N82E16814932439?Item=N82E16814932439

View attachment 362482

I got an Eagle in the shuffle as well. Order placed, over night shipping payed for.

I've entered the Newegg shuffle 50+ times, and had never been selected until today. It was for the EVGA 3080ti FTW3 and my order has been placed!

I'm excited but also nervous if that makes any sense. It's a lot of money, but it will last me a long time I figure.
You don't have to wait now in the endless EVGA queue, that is if you could actually open up the site pages.

I got an Eagle in the shuffle as well. Order placed, over night shipping payed for.

Hopefully that is an indication that there will be plenty of these cards going around. I was also somewhat surprised that they carried the $1199 MSRP, that is for the Eagle and the Asus Tuff.

I was able to buy a Gigabyte 3080 Ti Eagle for MSRP, $1199. Which may not be all that good in the scheme of things.
I'd say it's amazing, especially with the close-to-$2000 pricing of so many other AIB 3080 Ti. Congrats! I've slowly become a fan of the Gigabyte Eagles - 3070's, 3080's, 3090's - and even their particular thermal solution, which I misunderstood at first and believed they were 'crap' based on the factory thermal pads. But having worked with a number of these cards disassembling and reassembling, Gigabyte's thermal pad choice actually makes sense for the use case they were designed (gaming, and core-intensive tasks that don't rely on insane-high mem OC).

The choice of pads for all their G6X based cards was for giving priority to the core having the most thermal headroom that could be afforded without endangering VRAM at normal frequency. Because the better the heat transfer of the thermal pads (i.e. aftermarket Thermalright 12.8 W/mK), the less thermal headroom the core has, because the more it is competing with heat being dumped into the block by the VRAM.

Great. cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: noko
like this
I'd say it's damn near amazing, especially with the close-to-$2000 pricing of so many other AIB 3080 Ti. Congrats! I've become a fan of the Gigabyte 3080's and its particular thermal solution, despite being regarded by the uninformed as a "lower-end" SKU. They're great cards.

To OC the VRAM more than +500-$1000, you will of course need different thermal pads, but again, Gigabyte didn't randomly decide to use "crap thermal pads", they're not inept. The choice of pads for all their G6X based cards was to give priority to the core having the most possible thermal headroom. Because the better the heat transfer of the thermal pads (i.e. aftermarket Thermalright 12.8 W/mK), the less thermal headroom the core has, because the more it is competing with heat being dumped into the block by the VRAM.
That is a good point, wonder if Gigabyte upgraded their design or thermal pads? Since these cards do not have ram modules on the back maybe that will help the VRam junction temperature. Since these cards are mining handicapped, should also alleviate this issue. I guess I can see what the hashrate is and Junction temperature once set up.

Did you have to buy one of their crappy bundles to get this card?

Are the Eagle cards supposed to be pretty shitty cards? Should I sell it and try to get an ASUS Tough? (My preferred choice)

That is a good point, wonder if Gigabyte upgraded their design or thermal pads? Since these cards do not have ram modules on the back maybe that will help the VRam junction temperature. Since these cards are mining handicapped, should also alleviate this issue. I guess I can see what the hashrate is and Junction temperature once set up.
Yeah I revised my post but if you re-read, I'm not saying the thermal pads are crap, I'm saying they actually make sense. At stock settings, your TJunc temp will be fine for gaming. However if lets say a LHR-bypass were to come out and you wanted to mine daggerhash while your PC is idle, then yes you might consider Thermalright 2.0mm pads.

One more nice thing about Gigabyte cards is they're the easiest to disassemble. Just 8 screws on the backplate and that's it. No multi-layer headache like certain other brands where some screws are inaccessible without disassembling other layers first.

Last edited:
Are the Eagle cards supposed to be pretty shitty cards?
Hell no. The core is the same on all these cards. Assuming you have decent airflow in your case then the diffs between SKU's are going to be minimal. Silicon lottery matters more.

I have a 3080 Eagle that benches higher than any Strix 3080 or Suprim 3080 I've tested, murders everything on TimeSpy and within 200points of 3090. Of course, the higher-end SKU's do tend to have superior board construction and components, more layers on the PCB, more and better VRM's etc. But you're splitting hairs for mostly psychological contentment, especially considering the timeframes most of us keep these GPU's for (1-3 years?)

Last edited:
If you got a Gigabyte card it's PROBABLY fine now, but I suggest getting 8-pin PCIe power extenders and leave them plugged in 100% of the time just to be extra careful. Other than the bizarre power plugs my Gigabyte 3080 has been a great card-- but they made me RMA it.

More 3080Ti cards in newegg shuffle today. Zotac and MSI cards for $1800, though?
The Zotac Trinity was $1199.99 but Holo $1799.99 and only 3 3080 Ti's to choose from, anyways not looking good if prices are jumping like that on the 2nd day. Looks like Bestbuy and Microcenter are the hotspots for getting these.

My card should arrive next Tuesday via UPS.

Newegg fucked me over on shipping, Paid $40 to overnight the card and two Lian Li Uni Fans, their site said they'd be here today by 5pm. Not only are they not here but they didn't even ship them until after 5:30 today and they still aren't overnighting them as they won't be here until Monday. I fucking hate Newegg.

I had the opportunity today for the low shuffle price of $1800. Hard pass at that price, mis-checked it I suppose.

Newegg fucked me over on shipping, Paid $40 to overnight the card and two Lian Li Uni Fans, their site said they'd be here today by 5pm. Not only are they not here but they didn't even ship them until after 5:30 today and they still aren't overnighting them as they won't be here until Monday. I fucking hate Newegg.
At one time, Newegg was revered on [H]. Then they got slimy like everyone else. Sad.

At one time, Newegg was revered on [H]. Then they got slimy like everyone else. Sad.
Yeah, like a lot of us here I've been using Newegg since its inception in 2001. They sold out to China around 2015 and I haven't had a good experience with them since. Unfortunately they have been the only option when getting certain components, especially during the last two years.

I really wanted the FE 3080 as the price was damn fair but I was able to get the FE 3080 ti at Best Buy so its take what you can get in these conditions. I just installed it and ran Firestrike Ultra just to make sure its running properly and it appears it is.

EDIT: This is on stock settings other than the power limit being raised.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-04 231705.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-04 231705.png
    646.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
like this
My friend and I were able to get the FE ones at Best Buy. Going to install mine Monday when my 5900X arrives, which I bought from a member here early Friday morning.

Yeah, like a lot of us here I've been using Newegg since its inception in 2001. They sold out to China around 2015 and I haven't had a good experience with them since. Unfortunately they have been the only option when getting certain components, especially during the last two years.
I still like the selection, and overall, I trust them (but not most of their 3rd party sellers) more than most sellers on Amazon. But their "glory days" are in the past and this Shuffle has left a very sour taste in my mouth. Slimy, greedy, short-term profits above customer long-term loyalty. I just wish I knew which store is going to become the next Newegg.

Heck, I'm sure we could start a whole new thread on what's wrong with Newegg these days. But in which part of [H]?

My friend and I were able to get the FE ones at Best Buy. Going to install mine Monday when my 5900X arrives, which I bought from a member here early Friday morning.
One thing I noticed during installing it was even though its a little heavy, its relatively small and has essentially zero sag.

One thing I noticed during installing it was even though its a little heavy, its relatively small and has essentially zero sag.
I'll be doing musical cases.

The blue image has the Dark Hero board in a Corsair 465X case with a 5600X (5900X is the replacement).
The red image is my main rig in a Corsair Air 740 with an Asus Crosshair Hero VIII and 5800X.
Going to put the Dark Hero, 5900X and 3080Ti into the Air 740 and the other board and 3080 into the 465X case.
Not looking forward to the swap but looking forward to when they are both done.
IMG_1417.JPEG IMG_1469.JPEG

like this
I'll be doing musical cases.

The blue image has the Dark Hero board in a Corsair 465X case with a 5600X (5900X is the replacement).
The red image is my main rig in a Corsair Air 740 with an Asus Crosshair Hero VIII and 5800X.
Going to put the Dark Hero, 5900X and 3080Ti into the Air 740 and the other board and 3080 into the 465X case.
Not looking forward to the swap but looking forward to when they are both done.
View attachment 362921 View attachment 362920
I see, almost ready to Rock and Roll there. Cool color schemes, my rigs are not so bright.

For the EVGAs... Did yours come with a bracket? Does it need one? Worried about these larger cards flexing more.

For the EVGAs... Did yours come with a bracket? Does it need one? Worried about these larger cards flexing more.
Mine came with a bracket. I didn't need it, card is flat, no tilt or bending.
I think the bracket only works with certain cases.

So my EVGA 3080 Ti Hybrid arrived last night, and I think I hit the limit of my Meshify C and need to upgrade. I did a rough guess on the radiator thickness and was wrong so it doesn't fit as a front mount and is off by a mm or two.

I had to move it to top mount, but that made me move my Noctua D15 to a north/south orientation so I basically have hot CPU air blowing onto my radiator. There is only about 1-2mm clearance between the CPU cooler and radiator as well, it's kinda ridiculous.

I think I'll order a Phanteks P500a and just go with a big case again, I'll miss the small case life.

Reactions: MSD
like this
I love the way small cases look but my God when you're building a higher-end gaming computer it's nice to have plenty of room. I have the p500a and it was a joy to build in. I love being able to switch the RGB without having to fool with any damn software too.

The beast has arrived!

My new build is not even close to ready and although I had my heart set on a 3080 in the beginning, I have to say it is pretty cool to own a "Ti" card for once.

I have to give a nod to Newegg. They packed it really well with air bubble padding on all sides. I'm looking at you, Amazon...

Attachments

• 20210608_192926[4087].jpg
    20210608_192926[4087].jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
like this
Mine finally came in today from Newegg well packaged, Gigabyte Eagle RTX 3080 Ti. It will be placed in a Ryzen 5800x system which runs a 65" 4K Samsung 120hz HDTV. Currently that has an EVGA 3090 XC3 Ultra which will be upgraded with a Hybrid cooler. So I think I will run a few benches with the 3090 vs 3080 Ti on the 5800x. Looks like images are not loading, will load later if that becomes available again.

Attachments

• Gigabyte3080Ti.jpg
    Gigabyte3080Ti.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 362482
If my 3080 Eagle is any indication, it's a solid card (stable, good thermals), but Voltage will be totally locked so virtually no OC headroom (not that there is much on the 3080 ti anyways).

like this
Well the card seems to be a tad bit long:

WontFit.jpg

Was able to fix the issue and get the card in :D:

FitsNow.jpg

Now Shogani may really hate me now, anyways I compared the performance in 3 games to my EVGA 3090 XC3 and XFX RX 6900 XT Speedster MERC310. Red Dead Redemption 2, Metro Exodus Enhance and Shadow Of The Tomb Raider all at 4k.

ChartCom.png

DLSS in Metro

DLSSchart.png
For these comparisons at 4K the 3090 and 3080 Ti are virtually the same with a very slight lead from the 3090, both beating the 6900 XT on all three games. I did test Ethereum mining on the Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti, pitiful, :( , 58mh, Memory junction temperature after 8 min -> 104c :eek:. The 3090 would do 90mh at 102c and then 100mh at 100c after thermal pad replacement and heatsinks added to the back side. I am pretty confident that this 3080 Ti is not meant for mining. I will do some more testing, game testing to see what the memory junction temperatures does on this card, hate to have to redo the thermal interface here.

Notes:
  • Rebar off on 3090 and 3080 Ti, On for 6900 XT
  • RTX 3090 and 3080 Ti tested on a Ryzen 5800x, 16gb at 3600mhz
  • 6900 XT tested on a Threadripper 3960, 64gb at 3600mhz
  • The cards compared:
    • EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra
    • Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Eagle
    • XFX 6900 XT Speedster MERC319
  • Settings: All at 4K resolution (RTX 3090 and 3080 Ti Native, RX 6900 XT using Virtual Super Resolution)
    • RDR2, 4K preset slider set at max settings; Vulcan
    • Metro, 4K; Quality: Extreme; Shading Quality - Extreme; Ray Tracing Ultra; Nvidia DLSS off, quality, balance; Reflections Raytraced; VRS 1x; Hairworks off, Advanced PhysX off; Tessellation Full
    • SOTTR, 4K; Highest Preset Settings; DX 12; RT Shadows Off and then On High
  • Drivers
    • Nvidia - 466.63
    • AMD - 21.5.2

Back