NVIDIA Ada Lovelace to supposedly power the next Nintendo Switch

I'm just thinking if they haven't even taped out Lovelace GPUs yet, I can't imagine that custom SOCs are going to be high on the priority list. I would think Lovelace GPUs wouldn't be launched until 2022 at the earliest, and then another year or more to get around to the custom SOCs.

Nintendo is a big customer, but I don't know if the profit margin is going to be there compared to data center GPUs, etc.

Edit:
Those articles are both from March. I think most of that has been debunked by now since we aren't getting a Switch Pro this year.

Maybe they call it the Pro, maybe they call it the Chazwazzer who knows, it's Nintendo we're talking about; the simple fact that this has been reported would be enough for them to suddenly cancel the project because they have a serious hate for leakers.

No company would just cancel the project wasting hundreds of millions of dollars just because of the leakers. Switch "Pro" never made a business sense for a console that is already selling more than 20m a year.

No company would just cancel the project wasting hundreds of millions of dollars just because of the leakers. Switch "Pro" never made a business sense for a console that is already selling more than 20m a year.
They were half done filming and some 5+ m into the Zelda series on Netflix when they cancelled it because Netflix couldn't keep it secret so it wouldn't be the first time.

They were half done filming and some 5+ m into the Zelda series on Netflix when they cancelled it because Netflix couldn't keep it secret so it wouldn't be the first time.

That is nothing compared to hundreds of millions of dollars being wasted cancelling the hardware. Project and game cancellations isn't anything new in this industry.

This rumor is massively overestimating the specs that could make it from Orin (65w) into Switch (9w docked 6 w port)

The best cut they could make of Xavier at 10w power level was 4 cpu @ 1,2 plus 600 gflops Volta( drop gpu down to 500 to hit 9w, and 350 in portable)

hopefully, under 7nm Orin they can use those 4x Hercules, plus maybe 768 ampere shaders ( but they may have to drop down to 512 to save money)

Last edited:
Oh cool. More fanfiction. Haven't people gotten tired of being disappointed over and over, yet?

People have been riding the Switch Pro fantasy train for three fucking years. And the console's only been out for four. It's time to get off.

I had honestly forgotten the Switch existed.

While I liked them in the 80's, Nintendo has been completely and totally irrelevant to me for 30 years.

I could just as easily say that my Switch gets more use than my PS5 right now. Besides, to the 85 million Switch households out there, your opinion is completely and totally irrelevant.

I could just as easily say that my Switch gets more use than my PS5 right now. Besides, to the 85 million Switch households out there, your opinion is completely and totally irrelevant.

Who are using these things? Like, young kids?

Or is this stuff for the casual Farmville and candy crush type of people?

I have in 100% honesty never even seen a switch. I could not describe it to you or what the game cartridges look like (I'm assuming they are cartridges, because this is nintendo after all)

That said, I haven't owned or paid any attention at all to any other platform than PC since ~1991. I played one game on a PS1 once (Katamari Damacy), but that's about it.

I've never owned, had in my house or even played a game on:

- Any Nintendo platform after the NES/Original Gameboy
- Any playstation (with the exception noted above)
- Any Xbox

My gaming world is essentially not just Euro/US on PC centric but essentially Euro/US on PC exclusive. Outside of this games and gaming in general simply do not exist and hasn't existed since 1991. Like, chances are I haven't even heard of it.

Heck, I only just heard of Hideo Kojima a couple of months ago. I've never really cared about any of that Japanese stuff. At least not since Super Mario Bros 2 in 1988.

Last edited:

I have in 100% honesty never even seen a switch. I could not describe it to you or what the game cartridges look like (I'm assuming they are cartridges, because this is nintendo after all)

That said, I haven't owned or paid any attention at all to any other platform than PC since ~1991. I played one game on a PS1 once (Katamari Damacy), but that's about it.

- Any Xbox

My gaming world is essentially not just Euro/US on PC centric but essentially Euro/US on PC exclusives. Outside of this games and gaming in general simply do not exist and hasn't existed since 1991. Like, chances are I haven't even heard of it.

Heck, I only just heard of Hideo Kojima a couple of months ago. I've never really cared about any of that Japanese stuff. At least not since Super Mario Bros 2 in 1988.

It doesn't matter how much YOU don't like it. It still has sold 85 million copies of it, therefore it is relevant. Nobody cares about your PC master race misgivings in a thread ABOUT THE SWITCH! Start your own thread about how the Switch is irrelevant somewhere else? I have a switch, a PS5, and a gaming PC, and I don't feel like any less of a man because I happen to play a couple console games :p.

(I feel like we've had this discussion before about 6 months ago ;) )

It doesn't matter how much YOU don't like it. It still has sold 85 million copies of it, therefore it is relevant. Nobody cares about your PC master race misgivings in a thread ABOUT THE SWITCH! Start your own thread about how the Switch is irrelevant somewhere else? I have a switch, a PS5, and a gaming PC, and I don't feel like any less of a man because I happen to play a couple console games :p.

(I feel like we've had this discussion before ;) )

One could even ask why we are discussing anything but PC Hardware & Overclocking on a PC Hardware & Overclocking forum? :p

No company would just cancel the project wasting hundreds of millions of dollars just because of the leakers.

They bought up the last of the Tegra X1 chips from Nvidia, something like 30 million parts, then Nvidia shut down the production line. There will not be any more current-gen Nintendo Switches made after that.

Nvidia doesn't want to have to continue to produce and support those old parts.

I doubt Nintendo rolls out anything shiny and new first or anywhere close to first.

Having said that this rumor isn't as crazy as it sounds on its face.

Remember Nvidia is planning to do grand battle for the betterment of the glorious architecture of Advanced RISC Machines.
Normally I would say no way Nvidia worries about SOC designs before buttering their bread... in AI and server markets. However Jacket man seems to have a serious desire to displace Intel, I sort of believe that NV is planning to roll out ARM + LL SOC parts out of the gate. I know they are talking about partnering with Mediatek to put GPUs in ARM machines.... but I find it hard to believe Nvidia doesn't have a in house SOC lined up for the same type of things. I wouldn't be shocked to hear them talk about next gen ARM CPU + Next gen Nvidia GPU SOC fairly soon actually. 2021 that seems unlikely... 2022 part that ends up in Low-mid range ARM gaming laptops, and perhaps a Switch follow up. I could believe that.... the Switch+ though ya that seems unlikely Nintendo would want to pay the premium.

I doubt Nintendo rolls out anything shiny and new first or anywhere close to first.

Having said that this rumor isn't as crazy as it sounds on its face.

Remember Nvidia is planning to do grand battle for the betterment of the glorious architecture of Advanced RISC Machines.
Normally I would say no way Nvidia worries about SOC designs before buttering their bread... in AI and server markets. However Jacket man seems to have a serious desire to displace Intel, I sort of believe that NV is planning to roll out ARM + LL SOC parts out of the gate. I know they are talking about partnering with Mediatek to put GPUs in ARM machines.... but I find it hard to believe Nvidia doesn't have a in house SOC lined up for the same type of things. I wouldn't be shocked to hear them talk about next gen ARM CPU + Next gen Nvidia GPU SOC fairly soon actually. 2021 that seems unlikely... 2022 part that ends up in Low-mid range ARM gaming laptops, and perhaps a Switch follow up. I could believe that.... the Switch+ though ya that seems unlikely Nintendo would want to pay the premium.

I'm still not convinced that merger is going to go through for regulatory reasons.

Edit: it's not really a merger. More of an acquisition.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I'm still not convinced that merger is going to go through for regulatory reasons.
Still have a long way to go for sure....

I have a feeling Jensen is a go on his plans anyway. They never really had to own arm. Nvidia is a architecture license and with their GPU tech where always in a position to make a big push and become the defacto "high end" of the ARM pool anyway. I think owning ARM is more for the optics... not just being the high end option, but being the actual "Real" ARM.

Jensen doesn't want to be a cloner... like AMD. He wants to be Intel. lol My opinion anyway.

I had honestly forgotten the Switch existed.

While I liked them in the 80's, Nintendo has been completely and totally irrelevant to me for 30 years.

I used to follow them religiously (only for Zelda and Metroid,. and Fzero - thanks Nintendo for killing that one.) , but after a decade of forced Motion Control shit exclusives, I ditched them!

The Switch is one of the worst supported-by-Nintendo launches ever (if they didn't have a slew of easy Wii-U ports, they woulds have actually had to work.) :rolleyes:

The Switch Lite is a bit of an anarchism: it lacks the backward-compatibility to the 3ds (so there's even less games available,) but their solution is "you should repurchase your entire Steam Library once-again!" Not that interested in playing castrated, often buggy Switch ports!

And meanwhile, they've completely given-up on Virtual Console for Switch! So now, if I buy the overpriced , overly large Lite,. I get stuck with Shitty Steam Ports, and one Nintendo game I actually want to play.

Instead, I bought an RGB10 for it's lightweight (145g), and decent Dreamcast and PSP emulation speed. I will just play BOTW on PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: kac77
like this

Makes sense if they bought up all the old tegra chips... knock out 30m OLED switches. Then replace it next year. Makes a ton more sense then new chips in OLED. Logical that people would mix up leaks as tight as Nintendo is known to be.

Still have a long way to go for sure....

I have a feeling Jensen is a go on his plans anyway. They never really had to own arm. Nvidia is a architecture license and with their GPU tech where always in a position to make a big push and become the defacto "high end" of the ARM pool anyway. I think owning ARM is more for the optics... not just being the high end option, but being the actual "Real" ARM.

Jensen doesn't want to be a cloner... like AMD. He wants to be Intel. lol My opinion anyway.

Lets not forget that AMD developed the x86-64 instruction set, which Intel only cross-licenced and utilized after the fact.

In fact, they were the first to utilize many technologies we take for granted today, like on die integrated memory controllers, and many others.

Calling them a cloner isn't quite fair, even though that may be how they got started in CPU's (technically as a contract manufacturer)

- Any Xbox

My gaming world is essentially not just Euro/US on PC centric but essentially Euro/US on PC exclusive. Outside of this games and gaming in general simply do not exist and hasn't existed since 1991. Like, chances are I haven't even heard of it.

lol "who is using these things?" and then you admit you actually go out of your way to ignore all consoles. Nintendo is laughing at you with millions and millions of consoles sold :p

I used to follow them religiously (only for Zelda and Metroid,. and Fzero - thanks Nintendo for killing that one.) , but after a decade of forced Motion Control shit exclusives, I ditched them!

The Switch is one of the worst supported-by-Nintendo launches ever (if they didn't have a slew of easy Wii-U ports, they woulds have actually had to work.) :rolleyes:

The Switch Lite is a bit of an anarchism: it lacks the backward-compatibility to the 3ds (so there's even less games available,) but their solution is "you should repurchase your entire Steam Library once-again!" Not that interested in playing castrated, often buggy Switch ports!

And meanwhile, they've completely given-up on Virtual Console for Switch! So now, if I buy the overpriced , overly large Lite,. I get stuck with Shitty Steam Ports, and one Nintendo game I actually want to play.

Instead, I bought an RGB10 for it's lightweight (145g), and decent Dreamcast and PSP emulation speed. I will just play BOTW on PC.

I've done some reading after this thread.

I did not realize that Nintendo was back in the game (no pun intended) and turning a profit. I guess I haven't thought of them much at all since 2015 or so when they were widely considered to be down and out and in a slow motion death spiral having completely ceded the console market to Microsoft and Sony.

lol "who is using these things?" and then you admit you actually go out of your way to ignore all consoles. Nintendo is laughing at you with millions and millions of consoles sold.

I don't go out of my way. They just never come my way.

I mean, I don't have any interest in ever playing anything that requires a controller, or is on a TV in my living room, or is mobile, but I don't really know anyone else who does either. I just don't come across these things, really ever.

I don't go out of my way. They just never come my way.

I mean, I don't have any interest in ever playing anything that requires a controller, or is on a TV in my living room, or is mobile, but I don't really know anyone else who does either. I just don't come across these things, really ever.

That's fair. I use mine for travel as it's pretty easy to transport and the controller scheme is fun to play games with my wife when we're traveling.

I did not realize that Nintendo was back in the game (no pun intended) and turning a profit. I guess I haven't thought of them much at all since 2015 or so when they were widely considered to be down and out and in a slow motion death spiral having completely ceded the console market to Microsoft and Sony.

Honestly, the little that has come my way about the switch has been about some game called Animal Crossing which totally looks like a little kid game to me. I don't understand why anyone over the 6-8 year old demographic would ever play it, unless it was as a part of entertaining a 6-8 year old.

That's fair. I use mine for travel as it's pretty easy to transport and the controller scheme is fun to play games with my wife when we're traveling.

Ah, maybe that's a difference in perspective. I haven't played games in a social context since the good old keyboard sharing days of the early 90's.

I'm the only adult anywhere in my social circle with any remaining interest in games, so it's been a LONG time since I played a game with someone.

Games are something I do exclusively alone at my desk after everyone else has gone to bed.

Lets not forget that AMD developed the x86-64 instruction set, which Intel only cross-licenced and utilized after the fact.

In fact, they were the first to utilize many technologies we take for granted today, like on die integrated memory controllers, and many others.

Calling them a cloner isn't quite fair, even though that may be how they got started in CPU's (technically as a contract manufacturer)
Oh I agree... but in Jensens mind I'm talking now. lol

In Jensens mind AMD is forever a cloner even though they have done all that and more. And to be fair... that is exactly how normal people see AMD. Lets all be honest now, like it or not the majority of consumers see AMD as a cloner. I believe Jensens goal of becoming the next Intel requires him to own the ISA. He doesn't want people in 20 years to say Nvidia sure they have the best ARM bits and they developed and created standards like X and Y and Z.... BUT. He wants to remove all buts and own ARM... so every new shiny ARM thing that rolls out is perceived as Nvidia.

AMD has done far more to push x86 forward the last 30 years... Intel would have killed it off by now if it was up to them. Still AMD will always be seen as #2. Jensen wants to be #1 its his thing. :)

- Any Xbox

You live in a bubble. For as smart as you are you are very blind to what goes on outside you bubble.

Oh I agree... but in Jensens mind I'm talking now. lol

In Jensens mind AMD is forever a cloner even though they have done all that and more. And to be fair... that is exactly how normal people see AMD. Lets all be honest now, like it or not the majority of consumers see AMD as a cloner. I believe Jensens goal of becoming the next Intel requires him to own the ISA. He doesn't want people in 20 years to say Nvidia sure they have the best ARM bits and they developed and created standards like X and Y and Z.... BUT. He wants to remove all buts and own ARM... so every new shiny ARM thing that rolls out is perceived as Nvidia.

AMD has done far more to push x86 forward the last 30 years... Intel would have killed it off by now if it was up to them. Still AMD will always be seen as #2. Jensen wants to be #1 its his thing. :)

Honestly, I don't think your typical consumer is familiar with AMD at all. They may have heard of Intel due to their advertising campaigns and the "Intel Inside" logo, but if they see an AMD sticker, I honestly think your typical consumer has no idea at all what that means.

As you get into more knowledgeable circles (like here) I think they understand AMD's contributions better.

Presumably there is an in-between group, who know that both intel and AMD are CPU manufacturers and competitors, but don't know enough of the details, but I imagine that group is pretty small.

I'm basing this off of no knowledge what so ever though. Just on my interaction with random people on the topic. I guess my perspective could be off.

Reactions: ChadD
like this

Why do you think Switch changed anything?

The Switch sales are mostly aimed at 3ds gamers + the Wii-U owners who wanted a little better performance in BOTW. That's why they prepped the field with the massive us-only launch of the New 3ds XL at 11.64 oz!

The outdated chipset used in the original Switch disappointed everyone ( prepped the field for a slew of castrated Xbox 360-era ports, plus a few Steamy 2d-only bits), and if you have a Laptop with Intel HD 630, then you already have exactly the same portable GPU performance.

Last edited:
The Switch sales are mostly aimed at 3ds gamers + the Wii-U owners who wanted a little better performance in BOTW. That's why they prepped the field with the massive us-only launch of the New 3ds XL at 11.64 oz!

The outdated chipset used in the original Switch disappointed everyone ( prepped the field for a slew of castrated Xbox 360-era ports, plus a few Steamy 2d-only bits)

I suspect the outdated chipset you refer to is part of its success.

The fact that these things launched at only $299 has to be a huge part of their success, and had they been made any more beefy, they would likely have been more expensive.

Mass penetration and low cost always go hand in hand.

I'm just thinking if they haven't even taped out Lovelace GPUs yet, I can't imagine that custom SOCs are going to be high on the priority list. I would think Lovelace GPUs wouldn't be launched until 2022 at the earliest, and then another year or more to get around to the custom SOCs.

Nintendo is a big customer, but I don't know if the profit margin is going to be there compared to data center GPUs, etc.

Edit:
Those articles are both from March. I think most of that has been debunked by now since we aren't getting a Switch Pro this year.
I even brought this article up in the Switch 2 thread when VCZ originally posted it...

https://hardforum.com/threads/the-nintendo-switch-2-thread.2003389/post-1044971571

You love a bubble. For as smart as you are you are very blind to what goes on outside you bubble.

The Switch isn't marketed to adults. I've never come across a single Switch promotion, advertisement, tie-in, or anything. Not consciously, anyway. I only know about the Switch because of here and tech people on YouTube. And that's saying something because it's been out since forever.

One friend of mine bought one, he was still instructing when it came out, and it's clearly not just marketed at kids, it's also, ergonomically, made for kids.

None of the other gamer friends I have in real live have ever talked about the Switch, or games on the Switch, period. And it's not for a lack of love for mobile gaming. We've been talking about the Deck since day one, we're all excited about it. We talk about -- and complain about -- gaming on phones all the time, too. Objectively worse gaming device as compared to the Switch, but far more accessible and convenient. Some of my friends have moved to mobile gaming on the PC exclusively. None of us really cares about the Switch.

I know this hurts, because people grew up with Nintendo, they have a love for them and feel a great sense of nostalgia when using them, but these are machines for kids, and the only adults who really know anything about them or care are parents, teachers, and Nintendo fans.

To me, this is interesting from a hardware and business perspective, but I doubt in 18 months time, I'm going to run out and pick up a Super Switch.

Honestly, I don't think your typical consumer is familiar with AMD at all. They may have heard of Intel due to their advertising campaigns and the "Intel Inside" logo, but if they see an AMD sticker, I honestly think your typical consumer has no idea at all what that means.

As you get into more knowledgeable circles (like here) I think they understand AMD's contributions better.

Presumably there is an in-between group, who know that both intel and AMD are CPU manufacturers and competitors, but don't know enough of the details, but I imagine that group is pretty small.

I'm basing this off of no knowledge what so ever though. Just on my interaction with random people on the topic. I guess my perspective could be off.
I'm sure it probably varies by country, local... demo.

I know 20 years ago I sold computers for a living... and ya people knew. Intel was the CPU... AMD was a knock off. I remember not even being able to talk family members out of buying Pentium 4s. ;) lol

No idea what the majority of consumers today really think. Your probably right in that they think about it less then they ever have. Still I bet if we talked to someone that still worked at a best buy or something like it... they would say customers are happy to see a Intel sticker. Even if they haven't the first clue what Intel I2-1234z44U means. lol

I suspect the outdated chipset you refer to is part of its success.

The fact that these things launched at only $299 has to be a huge part of their success, and had they been made any more beefy, they would likely have been more expensive.

Mass penetration and low cost always go hand in hand.

Hey man, $100 more than NVIDIA Shield TV for half the DOCKED performance = GOOD VALUE! It was exactly the same price as a LAUNCH Wii-U (while being only 20% faster)

No, the only reason the Switch was a success is because it was the only way to play BOTW.

See here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidt...-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/?sh=7c45d9ef1c00

And here, ONE FUCKING YEAR AFTER LAUNCH

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_...breath_of_the_wild_worth_buying_a_switch_for/

The first really impressive not-a-Wii-U-port for Switch was Animal Crossing IN FUCKING 2020!

That's how many Switch sales carried by one game! And Nintendo True Fans (TM) are already used to getting raped for titles they have already been waiting years for release (it wasn't even a bundled title - you had to pay extra for the only game you would EVER BUY for your switch).

Last edited:
Hey man, $100 more than NVIDIA Shield TV for half the DOCKED performance = GOOD VALUE!

No, the only reason the Switch was a success is because it was the only way to play BOTW.

See here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidt...-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/?sh=7c45d9ef1c00

And here, ONE FUCKING YEAR AFTER LAUNCH

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_...breath_of_the_wild_worth_buying_a_switch_for/

The first really impressive not-a-Wii-U-port for Switch was Animal Crossing IN FUCKING 2020!

That's how many Switch sales carried by one game!

I don't know what BOTW is but I'll take your word for it, this is so far outside of my area of familiarity.

I'm not really familiar with the Nvidia shield TV.

I thought the Shields were streaming media players. I didn't realize they played games at all.

What can it even play? Android games from the Google Play store?

I mean, it shouldn't be surprising that a game product sells based on what titles are available for it. And if that is the case, it shouldn't be surprising that the Shield would tank, if yout choices are such amazing titles as Angry Birds, Flappy Bird, and Temple Run...

Back