Nvidia 9800GT - Most pointless release yet?

TS28

Limp Gawd
Scoring extremely similar to the 8800GT, and selling for about the same, what exactly is the point of the 9800GT?

rebadged 8800GT to confuse the typical joe blow into thinking they are getting some awsome new card.

Short answer; there isn't one. Yet.

Long answer; you probably mean the 9800GTX or GTX+, these cards do carry an increase in performance, and can be had for £130 ($260).

Short answer; there isn't one. Yet.

Long answer; you probably mean the 9800GTX or GTX+, these cards do carry an increase in performance, and can be had for £130 ($260).

No, there is a 9800GT. Its a die-shrunk 8800GT. At least, there are enough rumors from various sources to make this extremely likely and close enough to being official.

Well if its not confirmed by Nvidia, you can't really say that there is definitely going to be one can you now ;)

Why would they make one though? its doesn't fill any real gaps. Nvidia has already answered the problem of the HD4850 tearing into its mid-range with the 9800GTX+

Except for the die shrink, same scenario as the 9600GSO. Run the 8800GS/8800GT out of the channels and charge more for the "new" model.. Soon as the 8800GT is flushed you'll see the 9800GT prices increase like the 9600GSO did.

Hey at least this one got a die shrink. Or did it? Looks like the initial cards will still be 65nm with a later shrink to 55.

It's just a 55nm 8800GT, essentially a 8800GT+

No, there is a 9800GT. Its a die-shrunk 8800GT. At least, there are enough rumors from various sources to make this extremely likely and close enough to being official.

Except for the die shrink, same scenario as the 9600GSO. Run the 8800GS/8800GT out of the channels and charge more for the "new" model.. Soon as the 8800GT is flushed you'll see the 9800GT prices increase like the 9600GSO did.

Hey at least this one got a die shrink. Or did it? Looks like the initial cards will still be 65nm with a later shrink to 55.

it is NOT a die shrink yet. its still 65nm for now but will make the switch to 55nm soon.

Well if its not confirmed by Nvidia, you can't really say that there is definitely going to be one can you now ;)
Why would they make one though? its doesn't fill any real gaps. Nvidia has already answered the problem of the HD4850 tearing into its mid-range with the 9800GTX+
the 9800gt has been available for about a month through oems so it was no secret that this card was coming to retail. also the card was officially announced a few days ago.

Isn't this "9800GT" still using a 65nm process?

Yeah, seen the specs, looks exactly the same as the 8800GT. How lazy and lame of NVIDIA to release something that has no improvement at all. And you thought the 9800 GTX was bad too, this one takes the cake.

the HybridPower feature is nice. You need a compatible chipset which currently only works with AMD cpus until the MCP7A comes out sometime this month or next (for Intel cpus)

Nvidia is not living up to it's 2007 Forbes "Company of the year" title.
between the lame 9xxx rehashes, their laptop gpu issues, and the intel/sli licensing fuckup their board does not seem to be running the company very well. I'll still wager on a very strong comeback soon.

the HybridPower feature is nice. You need a compatible chipset which currently only works with AMD cpus until the MCP7A comes out sometime this month or next (for Intel cpus)
most of the 9800gt cards do NOT have hybrid power.

people please read this before making any more assumptions..http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15229

According to Nvidia Technical Marketing Director Nick Stam, the GeForce 9800 GT is indeed "very much similar" to the 8800 GT in "nearly all tech specs." There are two exceptions, however. The 9800 GT has optional HybridPower support, which—if Nvidia partners choose to release cards with the feature enabled—allows compatible motherboards to switch between discrete and integrated GPUs to save power. Also, Stam says the 9800 GT features a 65nm graphics chip today, but it will eventually see a shrink to 55nm with "no [difference] in [performance] between the two processes." 9800 GT pricing should range from $125 to $149—roughly where the 8800 GT lies today.

Thanks for replies so far everyone. Sounds a lot more like 8820GT :p

Scoring extremely similar to the 8800GT, and selling for about the same, what exactly is the point of the 9800GT?

Nvidia likes to release alot of pointless video cards, could learn a thing from AMD/ATI in this respect.

why is everyone angry? it would seem like half of us have 8800gt's currently. it's not like we're being "tricked"

hell, i say, let's flash up to 9800gt bios and celebrate having a new card without even buying one.

crowd mentality is mentally challenged

why is everyone angry? it would seem like half of us have 8800gt's currently. it's not like we're being "tricked"

hell, i say, let's flash up to 9800gt bios and celebrate having a new card without even buying one.

crowd mentality is mentally challenged

because the expectation is that a next gen lable should be a next gen card not a rebadged card which is basically what we are seeing in the 9800 gt, same issues with laptop video cards too except in this case the current gen is really weak compared to a 7900 series laptop GPU. in simpler language? BIG DISAPPOINTMENT from NVIDIA.

remember when the 8800gt first launched, along with the new 8800gts. and everyone was heated about the name confusion and what's actually better than what. but nvidia for whatever reason thought it wasn't appropriate to launch it as the 9800gt/gtx right then and there (perhaps they were worried you guys would ridicule them for that :LOL:). so now they're "fixing" things and oh my! :(

I would be a lot happier if they released a single slot 9800GTX. or got the power consumption down to a single 6 pin. Ether feature would make it a much better mid level card.

How can you tell if any particular GeForce 9800 GT is 65nm or 55nm? The GeForce GTX 280 shrink to 55nm coming out in a couple of weeks will be badged GeForce GTX 280+ as I understand it.

most of the 9800gt cards do NOT have hybrid power.

people please read this before making any more assumptions

Not sure if you meant me by that but I wasn't making any assumptions.

I rely on tricks such as reading product specifications to determine is a feature I want is present or not.

Not sure if you meant me by that but I wasn't making any assumptions.

I rely on tricks such as reading product specifications to determine is a feature I want is present or not.
I posted that link for ALL to read because the info is straight from Nvidia.

Well Fudzilla is claiming that HybridPower is only available on 55nm versions so that would be one way (if true).

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8724&Itemid=1

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8650&Itemid=1
well according to Nvidia hybrid power is an option on the 9800gt whether its 65nm or 55nm.

well it won't be long before there are lots of those cards on the market. Won't be hard to find out if any of the 65nm cards have HybridPower

rebadged 8800GT to confuse the typical joe blow into thinking they are getting some awsome new card.

No, a lot of you are missing the point. The whole situation is a clusterfuck but it isn't because Nvidia is trying to dupe anybody. The transition from G80->G92->GT200 didn't go as planned and they had to shoehorn G92 into the 8800GT/S because at that time a 9800 series wouldn't make any sense as the other 9 series parts weren't ready and they had a glut of 8 series parts on hand still. G92 was always meant to be for the 9 series of cards but poor execution of the transition to 65nm resulted in the current mess.

In any case OEM's won't care. They're going to get a cheap, fast card with a new name to put in their boxes. Nobody is getting gipped....it's not like they're selling it for more than the 8800GT. The MSRP is actually much lower than the 8800GT's at launch.

I think the 9800 series was a great idea. I t bought down the price of all those old stock items held by vendors so I was able to pick up another XFX 8800 GTX 768mb for $225AU. Sweetness!

I think the 9800 series was a great idea. I t bought down the price of all those old stock items held by vendors so I was able to pick up another XFX 8800 GTX 768mb for $225AU. Sweetness!

yeah and alot of people who dont do their research just upgraded their 8800GTX's to 9800GTX's for nothing, because they thought there was going to be performance increase and there wasnt.

bad move.

Back