Nvidia 9600GT available for sale a at Best Buy.

DJ-FX

n00b
I was taking my weekly bagain hunting strol throu a local Best Buy store and while making my way through video card isle, I've noticed a new addition in Nvidia lineup; a whole row of new BFG Nvidia 9600GT OC cards with 512MB video memory. They must have just been off the truck since there were still no price tags, dispaly tags or even security devices on them. BB database search had them tagged as BFGR96512G and showed them currently priced at $229.99. The store I found them at is in Seekonk, MA. The one closer to me didn't have them out on display. Considering BB doesn't show them online yet (even Nvidia doesn't have anything on them on their website as far as I could see) wonder if they been display shelved early by mistake.
I wonder how well they perform against current ATi HD3650 and HD3850 so if you got any links with benchamarks please post them.

$229 pricing = fail. You can easily get a faster performing 8800GT for that price.

I thought this would be the perfect card for my new rig. But not at this price. I wonder what the online price will be?

$150-$170 would be a much more reasonable price for it.

The $229 was jsut a price thir dbase showed, it might be priced lower once they tag them. From what I've noticed BB been pushing Nvidia cards in their stores with ATi cards, esepcialy the fastest ones like HD2xxx and HD3xxx, being sold only through online store. So of course we would know its a rip at that price but all they need is few suckers to sell them too, especialy since they would have nothing in store to compare them against performance and price wise.

lets see what good retailers do before we doom the card.
I'm not dooming the card. The MSRP is supposedly $190. The other BFG overclocked card will carry a price premium as usual.

But, we know how that 9600GT performs around 8800GS levels and it's really hard to justify a $190 price when 8800GT cards are currently available for only a little more. The 9600GT will probably drop in price quickly like the 8600GTS did before it. And at release the 8600GTS was also a poor value.

How much is a 8800gt BFG at best buy comparatively.

Nah - this is the deal of the century.

/sarcasm

Grossly overpriced or not, BB will be making A TON of sales on the cards - blue shirt: "this is a 9600, it's 800 better than the others"; idiot customer: "ok"; blueshirt: "don't forget the $350 BFG 1000w power thingy you'll need to get all the pixels"....

Anyway, GTs on the site are running $280 XFX [yes they sell XFX now it seems]/BFG, $300 for the PNY. The BFG GTS is only $320 for some reason, while the PNY counterpart is $400 :eek:.

Well at least in Europe 9600 GT 512 costs less than HD 3870 512. GF 9600 GT OC models on other hand are at 8800 GT 512 price levels.

Nah - this is the deal of the century.

/sarcasm

Grossly overpriced or not, BB will be making A TON of sales on the cards - blue shirt: "this is a 9600, it's 800 better than the others"; idiot customer: "ok"; blueshirt: "don't forget the $350 BFG 1000w power thingy you'll need to get all the pixels"....

Anyway, GTs on the site are running $280 XFX [yes they sell XFX now it seems]/BFG, $300 for the PNY. The BFG GTS is only $320 for some reason, while the PNY counterpart is $400 :eek:.
I have a co-worker who has a FX5400 in his old setup. He got a HP a6337c with a 6150 SE on board graphics chip. He saw the number only and it was higher than his old 5400...

BFG 9600GT OC available at Best Buy in Lubbock, Texas as of today as well. The 8800GT OC they had on the shelf above it was $279.99 as compared to the 9600GT OC which was at the previously stated $229.99.

I took pictures but since I'm not the only one that has seen them at Best Buy then there is no need to post them. I didn't even realize it was a 9600 at first because the box is so very similar to some of the other BFG cards. The only difference between it and the 8600GT box is the number and on the back the 9600 has COD4 on the box.

I can't imagine that this card will cost this much at Newegg, ZZZ, and Microcenter. Guess we will see soon enough.

Retail stores will charge alot because to most customers who don't have a clue on video cards, they wouldn't know the difference between the 8800GT and 9600GT in terms of performance. They'll just assume the fact that it's new and has a higher model number that it must be better. This applies also to Desktop pcs with AMD Phenom systems over the older Q6600 quad systems from Intel.

Back