NVIDIA 8400gs 128mb Pci-E 16x VGA/DVI $14 shipped

This one is pretty much the same just without the blue color for almost a buck cheaper. However I have been eyeballing this one. Seems to have more surface area along with ALLOT more mass and a bigger fan.

On a side note I have not had the time to put the rig back on the bench and test out the HWA, need to find some more samples to test out what works and what doesn't, anyone have some tips for watching? I have been testing the normal codec and players.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I lapped my heatsink, which was seriously concave. Applied Zero-Therm. OC'ed it to *GPU clock: 650, memory: 550, shade:r 1600 and ran hulu, SG1 full screen on a 50" plasma for 45 mins(full episode) and checked the temps, it was at 51c. I think the stock heatsink and fan is more than adequate for a $13 card.

* I think these were the settings, I dont have the PC up and running right now.

Got my 3 yesterday. Stock HS/Fan application is a bit lame, maybe Ill try to work on one after the holidays.

First one Im playing with currently does 575/1384 and 571 stock, gets to 69c, nice and toasty!

Runs UT3 @ low resolutions surprisingly well, very playable. All 2D/HD playback flawless.

Good find OP, thanks again.

newegg has the pci 8400gs 512mb 64bit for $40 after $10mir... i think i might pick a couple up and bring some old athlon 2500+ systems back to life....

I wouldnt spend $40 for a card with only 64bit memory bus, that is by far the main hindrance of cards such as an 8400gs. I think $13.50 for these with 128MB or looking for alot more bang for $40 would be much better.

I wouldnt spend $40 for a card with only 64bit memory bus, that is by far the main hindrance of cards such as an 8400gs. I think $13.50 for these with 128MB or looking for alot more bang for $40 would be much better.

I agree. For $13 these cards are an excellent buy. $40 for a slightly updated version, not so much. There are much better cards to be had in that price range.

Guys, he wanted a PCI version, not a PCI-express. So $40 isn't bad for PCI video cards.

Guys, he wanted a PCI version, not a PCI-express. So $40 isn't bad for PCI video cards.

thanks for the comprehension. that stuff gets people far in life. even if they thought i mis-typed, i dont remember any socketA boards having pci-e slots.

Got my two.

One to replace a 7100gs in HTPC

and one for roomates slimline dell.

I have an 8500GT in my box to drive a second display, has trouble w/ 1080p.

Thinking about another.

Got my two.

One to replace a 7100gs in HTPC

and one for roomates slimline dell.

I have an 8500GT in my box to drive a second display, has trouble w/ 1080p.

Thinking about another.

Perhaps it's a CPU or software issue? I haven't had trouble displaying 1080p on the 8500 series. I know it's not as good as the 9000 series cards for HD content, but it's still capable if your playback software supports it for hardware accelerated decoding.

DOH.

They might fit if you pushed really hard?

:D if i was a young teen, i likely would have (did do that shit!). actually i was the kind of kid who thought you could make anything work if you tried, so i probably would have taken a hacksaw to line up the grooves to allow it to fit. i kinda did that with a stick of ram once, i nearly started a house fire... billows of smoke coming from the pc! super luckily it didnt hurt the motherboard though, just the ram was fried.

if your problem was GPU bound, swapping an 8500 for an 8400 wouldn't help.

Not bad.... IF it weren't a deactivated item :rolleyes:

I finally bit for one. I wish it had at least 256Mb, but for $13.50 I guess I won't bitch!! LOL

It will be interesting to see how well this will Hybrid-SLI with my integrated 8200.
Question though: Should I leave the onboard set @ 256Mb shared, or back it down to 128Mb?
Eh, I'm sure I'll have lots of tinkering to do when it finally arrives.

let me know how this works for you. i am curious to know what card you will need the monitor/tv plugged in to. i am using 7.1 lpcm through the onboard 8200, i cannot lose that.

Not bad.... IF it weren't a deactivated item :rolleyes:

I finally bit for one. I wish it had at least 256Mb, but for $13.50 I guess I won't bitch!! LOL

It will be interesting to see how well this will Hybrid-SLI with my integrated 8200.
Question though: Should I leave the onboard set @ 256Mb shared, or back it down to 128Mb?
Eh, I'm sure I'll have lots of tinkering to do when it finally arrives.

In for 3 more. (total of 6 now)

These really are [H]ot for $13.50. With g98 cores that overclock well over 600mhz, the 2D is as good as many cards that cost 10x as much.

Pretty much all games more than ~3 years old seem to very playable at low and sometimes even medium res.

Fantastic find OP.

I almost picked one up several times just as a backup to sit in a box but then was like "nah I'll never need it". Sure as hell just a few minutes ago, I'm trying to test my new x58 board+ram and I had to yank my 8800GT out of the system closest to my made up test bench because I didn't have a spare card.

D'oh...lesson learned. Just bought one of these for $13.50. Now to nab a cheap spare psu as well... :D
I can't wait to lap this thing. heh heh :p

Got mine a couple of days after I purchased it, and I'm a bit disappointed. The metal bracket is bent a bit, making it hard to line up with the case, and the screw holes of the bracket are kinda messed up, so you can't really screw the thing in. Think I just got a bad one?

Well....

I cannot get this card to run ANY CUDA application.

i still havent played with mine... that would be a pretty big letdown though, if cuda doesnt work at all. still a good spare card for the price, everyone should have something that will work in a pinch.

Wow, this was exactly what I was looking for. I needed another backup card and needed cheap. This fit the bill perfectly.

Got mine a couple of days after I purchased it, and I'm a bit disappointed. The metal bracket is bent a bit, making it hard to line up with the case, and the screw holes of the bracket are kinda messed up, so you can't really screw the thing in. Think I just got a bad one?

I think a lot of them have a little bend to them. Just gently bend it straight, its easy to do.

I haven't tested mine yet, I'm waiting for some Arctic Silver Epoxy to show up. I've got a really old AMD cpu cooler thats going to be lapped and permanently attached to the gpu, I attached the original fan to the cooler with a couple dabs of silicon. Fun stuff :D

actually i have a brand new e5200/g9400 system right now, i could test this card out and compare results to this late model onboard video. anyone have any programs or video files they want me to try?

Mine will do CUDA decoding of MPEG4 Video (H264), but it buckles under the pressure of 1080p h264 and gives like 7 fps for the video. ghetto. but it's a secondary card =)
now, if only my motherboard wasn't retarded, and would let me use 2 video cards for 3 or 4 monitors. but it only supports ONE video card even though it has THREE PCIx16 slots... it will support TWO cards, but only IF they are in SLI mode together. lame sauce.

For CUDA, I primarily meant:

Folding
Badaboomit
TMPGenc

basically, the only three CUDA applicaitons I use.

The h264 issue... I don't have it. I use MPC-HC, which uses the onboard PureVideo3 decoder, which handles 1080p h264 (big buck bunny!) just fine.

The brackets are bent, because they are hard as [curse] to remove from the case. The VGA output is very close to the edge.

there you are jeremy...

any ways, in for one, makes a great backup for a bigadv box

let me know how this works for you. i am curious to know what card you will need the monitor/tv plugged in to. i am using 7.1 lpcm through the onboard 8200, i cannot lose that.

For HybridSLI you must keep the monitor/TV plugged into the IGP.
The discreet card will be used to boost the performance of the IGP... well, in theory anyway.

Once installed, the system now reports that I have a "nVidia 8500 (8200 + 8400)"
Neither Windows, nor nVidia control panel, will display the monitor or resolution when in "Boost" mode. Both just show empty boxes. If I separate the GPU's (through HybridSLI control) the monitor and resolution settings return and can be adjusted again. Not sure if that is normal.

I haven't run any benchmarks... only DVD's and BD's.
Honestly I don't see any improvements. BD's play beautifully through the 8200 IGP.
Standard DVD's look like absolute CRAP... grainy, stutter, flicker, etc.
I hoped the HybridSLI would help that, but nope.

It will still make a great backup/testing card, though. :)

Last edited:
How would a 6800GT PCIe stack up against this card for office applications, cad, etc.? I'm thinking the 6800 wins?

Wow, not only is this deal still going, but he currently has 135 of them up for auction at the moment? Sounds like a great back-up card...

I posted 2 of mine on craigslist and sold them both ($20ea) in 24 hours and bought a 8600gt. Still have one now - might get some more :)

I posted 2 of mine on craigslist and sold them both ($20ea) in 24 hours and bought a 8600gt. Still have one now - might get some more :)

Buy all 135 of 'em, sell 'em for $20/each, and you'll have enough to buy yourself a 5970!

Back