Nvidia 7900GTX

We'll I'm ready for my pair. I hope that they can be had for no more than $650 each and will actually be readily available as opposed to the 512 GTX.

I guess that's when I go for a widescreen monitor. A pair of these babies should be fine with just about any game for a year at max detail and 4aa/16af at 1920x1200!

Old news but will be one hella card, for sure. Will be interesting to see if ATI's R580 will keep up.

Sounds sweet if its true, Just give us some benchs and photos =P

where did you guys plant the money tree? cause i'm all broke...

gd rich usairways corporate arses

This card is gonna smoke if it really does get 13k in 3dmark out of the box ATI's card apparently can't even come close unless it's overlcocked heavily.

Let's see what happens in marchish :p

Humble_Magii said:
I wouldn't put it past ATI to repeat their mistakes again....
Actually (and I'm sad to say), NVIDIA has been guilty of this as well IMHO. They get the product out the door, but the supply just isn't there sometimes...

Captain Kirk said:
Actually (and I'm sad to say), NVIDIA has been guilty of this as well IMHO. They get the product out the door, but the supply just isn't there sometimes...

Oh you were referring to 512mb GTX's being MIA after the first week or two my bad. Yep Nvidia really screwed up with the 512mb card supply they are really nice cards.

Hehe I automatically assumed you meant ATI since they were vaporware on a high end x850xtpe phantom edition previously for awhile and half a year late xfire motherboards and the entire x1k series line.

Live and learn I suppose :)

Humble_Magii said:
Oh you were referring to 512mb GTX's being MIA after the first week or two my bad. Yep Nvidia really screwed up with the 512mb card supply they are really nice cards.

Hehe I automatically assumed you meant ATI since they were vaporware on a high end x850xtpe phantom edition previously for awhile and half a year late xfire motherboards and the entire x1k series line.

Ya, hehe. I had one of those pre-ordered. When they turned out to be vaporware, I bought my 6800 Ultra OC. Best card I've ever owned, next to my Kyro II ;).

Humble_Magii said:

You can't blame nVidia for not being able to provide those 512mb 7800 GTX's. IIRC, the reason why they were in almost nill supply is because the 1.1ns GDDR3 Samsung chips are not being pumped out in enough supply as Samsung promised. Not 100% sure though...

It will be interesting to see how the 7900GTX and the X1900XT compete against one another. I think I'll wait until shortly after their release to decide on a purchase.

Sir-Fragalot said:
It will be interesting to see how the 7900GTX and the X1900XT compete against one another. I think I'll wait until shortly after their release to decide on a purchase.

Well I wouldn't be concerned with the card really as they both should be good performers but the biggest deal breaker is what ATI does with the crossfire motherboards if they keep their craptastic design as is I will stay with SLi even if it means lower performance by a decent margin.

what is the max. resolution support on BOTH DVI port? I assume one is 2560x1600, but what about the 2nd DVI port? I don't see it from the above links.

PolarbearBigEd said:
You can't blame nVidia for not being able to provide those 512mb 7800 GTX's. IIRC, the reason why they were in almost nill supply is because the 1.1ns GDDR3 Samsung chips are not being pumped out in enough supply as Samsung promised. Not 100% sure though...
One wonders too if nVidia is saving up the fast memory chips to put on the 7900 series cards. Seems they'd do everyone a lot more good there than on the GTX512's.

Isn't it funny too, about the GTX 512's, for all the people who cry "vaporware," I have yet to see anyone say, "Gee, I was all ready to buy one, had $800 in my pocket but just could never find one so I gave up." Seems like all the folks that were serious about owning one found a way to get them. Suspiciously large numbers around here even have them in SLI. Could it be that those who are chanting vaporware never intended to buy one in the first place, and are just looking to "keep score"?

Forum psychoanalysis--it's free, it's fun, and it keeps me from playing dodgeball on the freeway...

Commander Suzdal said:
One wonders too if nVidia is saving up the fast memory chips to put on the 7900 series cards. Seems they'd do everyone a lot more good there than on the GTX512's.

Isn't it funny too, about the GTX 512's, for all the people who cry "vaporware," I have yet to see anyone say, "Gee, I was all ready to buy one, had $800 in my pocket but just could never find one so I gave up." Seems like all the folks that were serious about owning one found a way to get them. Suspiciously large numbers around here even have them in SLI. Could it be that those who are chanting vaporware never intended to buy one in the first place, and are just looking to "keep score"?

Forum psychoanalysis--it's free, it's fun, and it keeps me from playing dodgeball on the freeway...
i placed an order for a BFG 7800GTX 512MB OC on Monarchcomputers.com on Nov. 21of last year, and canceled it a coupel of days before Christmas because I still hadn't received it. A month more than enough time for a backordered part. After I got the charge on my credit card credited back to the card(I originally pad $699 for it), i just ordered a GeForce 6200 for $50 as a placeholder until the next gen.

BoySetsFire said:
i placed an order for a BFG 7800GTX 512MB OC on Monarchcomputers.com on Nov. 21of last year, and canceled it a coupel of days before Christmas because I still hadn't received it. A month more than enough time for a backordered part. After I got the charge on my credit card credited back to the card(I originally pad $699 for it), i just ordered a GeForce 6200 for $50 as a placeholder until the next gen.
Valid points, definitely, plus you're almost sure to pay less total for a better card by going this route. Still, did you give up because you couldn't get one at all or because you couldn't get it the way you wanted it price/vendor wise? Kind of a fine line, I know, but I'm sure you see the point I'm aiming at. Vapor means (to me, anyway) "not available anywhere at any price, they ain't no such thing, the cat ate it, forget it, go home."

Commander Suzdal said:

QFT

I am sure there are some cases where this doesn't apply to someone though but it was a good read :).

One quick question. Will i be able to use the step up program since i just ordered a GT today? I dunno how the step up works but what if the 7900GTX is out of stock up until the 90 days is up, will they still take my card? Cuz if it doesn't then i can just cancel my card and wait until the end of the month just so i can take advantage of the step up.

Commander Suzdal said:

Actually, I waited patiently until Newegg came back in stock with them. I had a similar experience buying my 6800 Ultra.

I live in Egypt and the XFX GTX 512 is readily available ! ;)

Street price: $ 950.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Suflex said:
I live in Egypt and the XFX GTX 512 is readily available ! ;)

Street price: $ 950.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
I refuse to buy from places that participate in hardware racketeering. I remember when I was trying to order the XT 800 PE, and Allstarshop had the price at $1200.

Newegg has them in-stock.... check out the pics.....

7900 GTX pics

they say all you need is a 1000w PSU, and an oversized tower case to fit it in.

Ok obviously I'm just kidding.... I was just browsing and saw the hunormous size of that 3dLabs card!! Jesus!!

Yumpin' Yiminy! Looks like it was designed so the cooling fan would stick out the front of the case through a drive bay, for drawing in cooler air! They might even be able to brag about being the first to market with a 3-slot cooling solution--2-slot coolers are so 2005....

i don't think the 512 7800s count as vapor, but they certainly count as damn-near impossible to get within a week of ordering, FOR THE AVERAGE BUYER. you can go to just about any e-tailer and order nearly every single other card on the market that is still in production, and have it shipped to yoru do overnight.

with these 512s, you oculdn't do that. i was ready to go as high as $800 for a card after shipping, but none were ever in stock. every place to order had a backorder queue. not worth the wait. i'll just wait to get in on first shipment of the next gen.

With the powerfull performance that nVidia seems quite comfortably to be holding off of, in light of the specs that ATI's upcomming card has, I wonder what sort of power will be needed for such hardware, let alone an SLI setup. Though I assume that Dell's limited edition Renegade quad sli setup is an extreme case, I think an sli system of 7900s could very well need a seperate power adapter for each card...as described in that article about the "Road to the 7800".

jhego said:
One quick question. Will i be able to use the step up program since i just ordered a GT today? I dunno how the step up works but what if the 7900GTX is out of stock up until the 90 days is up, will they still take my card? Cuz if it doesn't then i can just cancel my card and wait until the end of the month just so i can take advantage of the step up.

as long as you have your request into evga within the 90 days than you are ok. at times like now with the 512 gtx you have a few options. you can intead get a 7900gtx when they come out (basically extending your step up), you can get $ of a new card (ie 150 off a 256 gtx, 50 off a gt to use in sli, or you can wait it out and hope to get one before they go eol (end of life) in february and are discontinued.

I am confident that my Seasonic 600w can handle 2 7900 or G80's as long as I don't go overboard with hard drives and other items sucking power :).

mrbigshot said:
as long as you have your request into evga within the 90 days than you are ok. at times like now with the 512 gtx you have a few options. you can intead get a 7900gtx when they come out (basically extending your step up), you can get $ of a new card (ie 150 off a 256 gtx, 50 off a gt to use in sli, or you can wait it out and hope to get one before they go eol (end of life) in february and are discontinued.

exchange your GT for a GTX 256mb in 90 days if it isn't out then, then you get another 90 days. right? you will only play a little money and you won't lose any value for when you exchange it back in for the 7900GTX.

I need two of them runnin x16 and wut not. Wonder how stout a proc you'd need to feed them....lol

Russ said:
exchange your GT for a GTX 256mb in 90 days if it isn't out then, then you get another 90 days. right? you will only play a little money and you won't lose any value for when you exchange it back in for the 7900GTX.

You can only step up once.

Cool, i'm about to upgrade from AGP to PCI-E, so i'll just get a 7800GT now and wait until march for this babe.

PolarbearBigEd said:

Actually From what I hear, Almost all of them are being sucked up for use in OEMs (Dell, Alienware, FNW) and it only got worse after a Month of Nvidia shipping the 512 to retailers. They started getting angry and beating their chest till Nvidia agreed to give them almost all of their stock instead of getting them to the retail channel.

I am sure Dell probably takes alot of supply considering the sheer size and volume they can do.

Back