nvidia 7800gtx doesn't cost that much...

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
I mean seriously.. if you think about it... 1 6800 ultra pci-e costs about what 450-500 dollars???

2 of them costs about 900-1000 dollars for dual 6800 ultra sli

and since 1 7800gtx costs about 600...
and 7800gtx is about what 10-20% faster??

so basically a 600 dollars card costing 400 less than dual 6800ultra setup..
but with better performance and better features... and in the long run.. you can always get another 7800gtx... for sli loving with both 7800gtx

so basically 7800gtx = $550-600

dual 6800ultra = $900-$1000 dollars

and 1 7800gtx (~600)> 2 6800ultra (~$1000)
good deal.

:)
so the price is actually really good because it is the best card out.. and r520 will not be out in a long time...

my two cents.. :D

Saying that it "Doesnt cost that much" is different than saying that a single GTX is a better
buy than a 6800U SLI etup. $600 is a much cost. Even though I did win one, I still have to
get an sli mobo and the proper cpu, and with a card such as this, the only real options are
AMD 3500's or over.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Even if R520 comes out next month(like it's SUPPOSED to), I don't think it's going to be WAAY faster than the GTX. I think we're looking at the same thing we saw with 6800/X800. The X800s are a little faster than the 6800s at high res, I think it will be similar. That being said, I'm losing my self control. I don't know how much longer I can stand not having a 7800GTX.

Anyone know when the 512mb versions will be out? Has nVidia even hinted at it?

I think 512 meg will be out in 2-3 months?

and to be honest seeing that nvidia rule in the doom3 areas... and more games are using the doom engine.. I will not be surprised to see... if nvidia start ruling most of the new games using the doom engine in the future... :eek:

GregP24 said:
Anyone know when the 512mb versions will be out? Has nVidia even hinted at it?

I would assume that 512MB Quadro Versions of the 7 series would be out before GeForce
versions. But 512 would most likely be comming out by next year...or maybe it would be
in the rumored Ultra version. A review of the GTX said that there are placements to add
more memory chips effectively doubling the frame buffer without using double capacity modules.

And besides when actually gaming...for now...can you tell the difference between Doom3's
High Quality vs Ultra Quality? Maybe when games using unreal engine 3 come out, I think
thats when there will be a reasonable amount of demand for such a card.

Imagine the cost of the high end Quadro 7 series :eek: x eleventybillion

It's the fact that the price for the top video card keeps going up is what bothers me. The GeForce3 was $399 and I got it the moment it arrived.

and 7800gtx is about what 10-20% faster??

Why does everyone keep saying that?

In some situations the 7800GTX gets double the FPS of a 6800 ultra and even beats out the SLI.

But different sites seems to be showing different numbers. I am going witch the anandtech benchmarks.

B2 Benchies

Battlefield 2 isnt the only game to get double performance at higher resolutions. F.E.A.R which is unreleased has also been provin to get double the FPS. And the developers for unreal 3 have claimed to get 2-2.4 time better performance on the 7800 GTX then with the 6800 ultra. (howevor neither of these are shipping products)

Another peeve I have with some poeple is a lot of people seem to be under the impression that the 7800 GTX cant do H.264 which is also partially not true. It might not be able to support it at the current moment but in a couple months sometime around November we should be able to.(Not saying its you though)

It still costs a lot. The 5950U and 9800XT were $500 MSRP. The X800XT/PE and 6800U are twice as fast, but still costed $500 MSRP.

So by your logic (which isnt even logic), they didnt cost a lot either.

Uhh.. for me, here's how it goes..

"nvidia 7800gtx doesn't cost that much.... COMPARED TO A FERRARI!

ThisMonsterLives said:
It's the fact that the price for the top video card keeps going up is what bothers me. The GeForce3 was $399 and I got it the moment it arrived.
Most everything has gotten more expensive... I'd worry about gas prices before videocard prices... you spend much more on gas.

its not just the cost of the card that bothers me a little. its the cost of keeping the rest of your system up with the card. still doesnt stop me from ordering this in the next 2 weeks

amd 64 x2 4800+
dfi nforce 4 sli dr
ocz pc4800 DDR 600
BFG 7800GTX x2
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Maxtor Diamond Max 10 300GB
coolermaster stacker with crossflow.
ocz 520 watt powerstream
dell ultrasharp 2405fpw

The Geforce 7800 also does way better in PS3.0 like Chaos Theory with HDR and soft shadows, I was very impressed compared to the last generation
(to be added to your speed percentage comparison thing)

A product "costs a lot" when it passes a minimum threshold in pricing, which I assume fpr most people is around $300-400 for a video card. Performance has nothing to do with a card costing a lot.

pandora's box said:
its not just the cost of the card that bothers me a little. its the cost of keeping the rest of your system up with the card. still doesnt stop me from ordering this in the next 2 weeks

amd 64 x2 4800+
dfi nforce 4 sli dr
ocz pc4800 DDR 600
BFG 7800GTX x2
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Maxtor Diamond Max 10 300GB
coolermaster stacker with crossflow.
ocz 520 watt powerstream
dell ultrasharp 2405fpw

Sure that PSU will be enough for that much stuff? I wouldn't think so..

Lakitu said:
Sure that PSU will be enough for that much stuff? I wouldn't think so..
yes, show me a higher power power supply than that one? the only one i can think of is PCP&C

Who are you trying to kid, yourself??

Yeah of course it's a lot less expensive when compared to TWO 6800ultra cards. But the 7800gtx is STILL a very very expensive card. $600 for one PC component??

Not worth it IMO.

ignitionxvi said:
yes, show me a higher power power supply than that one? the only one i can think of is PCP&C

Zippy ftw! But that OCZ should handle it aswell :D

Back