NVidia 760 Now or wait for the 860?

$250 seems to be the appropriate price tag for this card.
Good job nvidia. Slighty faster than a 660ti, but slightly slower than a 670. Excellent card for the ones on a budget.

This card should now force amd to price drop their current cards (7950 and 7870 to be specific).

I need some advice - should I go ahead and get the NVidia 760 when it comes out in the next couple weeks or would I be wise to wait until next year to get the next generation 860? My max budget is $200 to $250 tops.

I've really been waiting for Maxwell, which was originally suppose to come out now but, got pushed back to next year. The 700 series is just a re-vamped 600 series.

After the 760 review, If I was in your position I would look for a used 660ti at a low price and wait for maxwell. Save some money for next years release. No need to grab a 760 since you have been wanting the 800 series. Start working on overclocking that 955!......or just wait? :D

So, NVidia is selling the 760 at a reasonable $249, which is fair considering it's just a revamped 600 series. I'm still reading reviews as they come out and watching youtube video reviews as well.

I work with the Adobe CS6, mostly Photoshop and Premiere Pro as well for videos - I'd love to see some serious testing on those applications to know for sure if there are any benefits to 4g over 2g and superclocked versions on those programs.

Now that the PS4 and XB1 are out with 8g of ram will that affect new games in the near future demanding more ram making 4g a logical choice or no, don't worry about it? I'll only be using one monitor at 1080. I figure I may be fine saving the money and just getting the $249 EVGA w/ ACX Cooler? Would the superclock with 4g ($289) really even be worth it for me?

I really, REALLY wanted Maxwell for its new architecture and I could wait but, that's my pickle, the waiting game. Perhaps I could get the 760 now and be ok for a couple years and keep my eye on the NVidia Volta and get the 2nd line of that next new generation, which will probably be awesome! I've heard the 800 Maxwell series may start showing up at the end of the year or early 2014 - but at what price?

I could for with AMD but, they seem to having driver issues and I'm really tired of always going cheap with AMD anyway - I've never had NVidia or Intel before.

Now, I'm trying to figure out if I want the heat pushed out the rear of the case but a hotter GPU or, just get the 2 fan EVGA ACX Cooler, which would hopefully result in longer life span. I have the Antec One Illusion case (w/4 fans) so heat inside the case really isn't an issue for me any more, however, I don't have central air so, summer temps consistently get up to 85F inside the house at times in the evenings in July/August.

$249 EVGA w/ ACX Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933

^ I wouldn't worry about lifespan for whichever type of HSF is on the GPU as long as you have adequate case cooling. Noise would be a factor, as the reference cooler does tend to be much louder than, say, a Gigabyte Winforce or MSI TwinFrozr to name just a couple.

As enticing as the 760 is at its price point, I think I am going to wait for Maxwell. My thought is that if I can get an 860 or 860ti for around $250-300, then the performance gain and lower power draw over the current 600 and 700 series offerings will be worth my wait.

. My thought is that if I can get an 860 or 860ti for around $250-300, then the performance gain and lower power draw over the current 600 and 700 series offerings will be worth my wait.

And your thought would be way wrong. The 800 series is the NEW Architecture. You will never see a new tech 860Ti at $250. Now maybe with its refresh GTX 960 in January 2015, you would probably see it at $250.

The only reason the 760 is cheaper than the 660TI is cause of it being a refresh. :rolleyes:

And your thought would be way wrong. The 800 series is the NEW Architecture. You will never see a new tech 860Ti at $250. Now maybe with its refresh GTX 960 in January 2015, you would probably see it at $250.

The only reason the 760 is cheaper than the 660TI is cause of it being a refresh. :rolleyes:

I suppose you missed the part in my post where I stated IF I can get an 860 or 860ti for $250-300? I'm not expecting the 860ti to be that inexpensive, but I'm hopefull that the vanilla 860 will be. No crystal balls = we'll just have to wait and find out.

I think he would be correct, as long as Nvidia keeps doing things they way they have been. A GTX 860ti would probably be $299 and be about the performance level of the GTX 780. Just like the GTX 660ti was $299 and around the performance level of the GTX 580. The 660 ti wasn't a refresh and neither will the 860 ti be (if that is what it is named).

LOL, if I had your set up and MSI GTX 570 TwinFrozr II GPU I'd wait for Maxwell's 800 series too. I'm currently sporting:

MB: MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: 8g Mushkin 1600
GPU: HIS 4870 1g
PSU: Seasonic X-750w
HD: WD Blue 500g sata 2 at 3g/ps
Mon: ASUS 21.5 VS229H (IPS)

I doubt I'd get full potential out of an 800 series GPU with my system. I may end up with a 760 for now and upgrade the rest of my system with Intel's Broadwell or Skylake then, get a new GPU the year after that. That's my plan any way - we'll see how it goes.

As enticing as the 760 is at its price point, I think I am going to wait for Maxwell. My thought is that if I can get an 860 or 860ti for around $250-300, then the performance gain and lower power draw over the current 600 and 700 series offerings will be worth my wait.

The backplates are supposed to be for heat transfer as well as allowing air to flow across more smoothly. I think it's just so you don't have to stare at the bare card... Kinda like someone mooning you with their hairy arse!

Seems more like marketing now, that's all.

Last edited:
Yeah it's mainly an optics thing i think.

Just because GTX 760 alternatives are discussed here: Are GTX 670 prices attractive in the US? In Europe there has been a small price decline recently. I think it might be worth looking for one of those:

GTX 760s are available at about 210 Euros whereas you can buy a EVGA GTX670 FTW Signature for just 250 Euros nowadays(the Signature 2 for 260 Euros). If you consider that the latter comes with Metro Last Light and Assassins Creed (those keys are worth 15-25 Euros and 5 to 15 Euros on Ebay) and is faster it might be worth it. What do you think?

I'm just an enthusiast so, I not aware of the AMD or NVidia history of revamped GPU's - do they always wait a full year before releasing the next series or might they come out a little bit sooner next round?

Just trying to sus out the probability of when the 800 Maxwell series might come out because I've heard rumors that it could start coming out at the end of 2013 or early 2014.

I'm just an enthusiast so, I not aware of the AMD or NVidia history of revamped GPU's - do they always wait a full year before releasing the next series or might they come out a little bit sooner next round?

Just trying to sus out the probability of when the 800 Maxwell series might come out because I've heard rumors that it could start coming out at the end of 2013 or early 2014.

From an architecture perspective the 700 series isn't "new", so trying to predict the future on Maxwell is going to be even harder than normal.

From an architecture perspective the 700 series isn't "new", so trying to predict the future on Maxwell is going to be even harder than normal.

QFT. Any and all rumors surrounding the supposed release of Maxwell are just that, rumors. For me, I really don't think we'll see any Maxwell parts arrive to market prior to 2H '14. But that is my own speculation based on how long nVidia will be able to ride out the 700 series given their performance levels and price points. Essentially nVidia is selling 600 series cards at 25% off with everything released thus far short of the 780, which is "almost a Titan", but at around 35% off of the Titan price tag.

They'll be able to run with the 700 series on shelves for a good solid year, IMO.

I think it would be a miracle if they get Maxwell out on time (say, mid-2014). You're looking at a new architecture, a process node shrink, plus shoving an ARMv8 processor in there (any ARMv8 procs even being fab'd yet these days?). All this while you basically have to give up your first born before you can even make a phone call to TSMC.

Several reviews of the vanilla 760 are not really that great - nothing to get excited about anyway. They're just ok, as one would expect with a 600 series revamp.

I feel like I've just been screwed by NVidia - having a 5-year old HIS 4870 1g GPU I feel like it may be too much to wait another full year for Maxwell's 800 series, which is what I was really waiting for in the first place. I may have to go with a 760 even if I really never wanted it from the start. Damn you NVidia! No point in waiting tho cause 800 could be delayed again and when it does finally come out it'll probably be way over priced as per usual.

There really is no point in waiting for something particular in the hardware world.
Just get what you need/want and be done with it.
There'll always be something new coming just around the corner.

But gotta admit these 760's are tempting. Perf/€ wise they're great at least across the pond here.
I'm just stuck with two choices and can't decide dammit..

4870 ? You will be mind blown by current cards :D

I just replaced my 470 with 770 and literally it's twice as fast :) Setting Witcher 2 to Ultra settings minus Ubersampling and seeing constant 60 fps instead of 30-35 is great feeling.

Several reviews of the vanilla 760 are not really that great - nothing to get excited about anyway. They're just ok, as one would expect with a 600 series revamp.

I feel like I've just been screwed by NVidia - having a 5-year old HIS 4870 1g GPU I feel like it may be too much to wait another full year for Maxwell's 800 series, which is what I was really waiting for in the first place. I may have to go with a 760 even if I really never wanted it from the start. Damn you NVidia! No point in waiting tho cause 800 could be delayed again and when it does finally come out it'll probably be way over priced as per usual.

Why are you so hung up on getting a maxwell card? We literally don't know anything about these cards at all. You're getting mad over a fantasy that didn't pan out.

I'm really not sure what it is you expect. You currently run what is truly ancient tech in the video card word. When the 600 series cards first came out they were utterly shocking vs the previous gen. You really have no idea what you are talking about when you say you feel like nVidia screwed you.
They dropped the price point of what is practically a 670 by 150 dollars!

Let me put this into perspective. I have been running 2 GTX 560 ti in sli. Together they set me back 550 just 2 years ago. I can play most games at pretty high settings, but there's no wa they will last another 2 years for 1080p gaming. Expecting any mid range card to last that long is silly.

Now, with a single gtx760 for around $260, you get pretty much the same gaming experience.
If you don't see the value in the 760, the best damn card to ever hit this price point, then I don't know what to say.

Your all worried about waiting for maxwell because it's just around the corner, but there's a massive flaw in the idea that you don't seem to have caught on to.
New gen cards from nVidia have ALWAYS started with the TOP tier. Then, over the next 8 to 10 months they release the lower tier stuff in random intervals. This gen, in fact, is somewhat of an anomaly in that they released the mid tier card at roughly the same time.

You ave repeatedly stated that you can't afford more than 250. Well you'll be waiting a long time for maxwell at that price. I'd actually say probably more than a year. Maybe even 18 months.

Go buy the friggin card already and come back here and tell us how impressed you are so we can all say I told you so!

Last edited:

In a sense, the 760 is a decent release since it's essentially the performance of a 660ti for less cost. At least to me. If I was still rocking my GTX 275, I would be all over this one.

JoseJones, if you are disappointed with the 760, then don't get one. Wait and see what the 760ti brings to the table in regards to performance and price. I am assuming 670 performance, maybe slightly more, for $75-100 over the 760. Maybe you'll be able to save that much extra by the time it's released. And, if the 760ti doesn't impress you, then fall back on the 760 and start putting dollar bills under the matress to save up for a Maxwell model.

No matter how you look at it, you'll be getting one hell of a huge GPU upgrade vs what you are dealing with in your computer now.

S[H]ady, fair enough but, the ONLY reason I'm pissed is specifically due to the fact that NVidia made such a big deal, for around 2 years, about Maxwell coming out in 2013. They lied.

THAT is why I was waiting for Maxwell because NVidia themselves said it was coming but, essentially at the last minute they changed plans to do a 600 series revamp instead.

I wanted Maxwell specifically for its new architecture (NVidias own claim), which means better energy efficiency and lower heat and possible GDDR6 memory. It sounds like a GPU worth getting to me even if it costs more and I'd prefer that over the 600 series or its revamped 700 series - that's all, not that big a deal, I doubt many would disagree with that.

NV_roadmap_small.png

Besides, I may still end up with a 760. I'm still going over reviews to decide which one, if any. Plus, if I can come up with more cashola, perhaps I'll end up with a 770 or maybe I'll end up with a 670. I'm just waiting to make a very well informed decision.

I'm just waiting to make a very well informed decision.

Understatement of the year.

Also Nvidia didn't make a big deal about Maxwell. It has come up a few times in conferences and that is about it. Nvidia never said "Hold into your seats Maxwell is going to blow you away in 2013!" You got yourself excited about speculation and zero facts.

Understatement of the year.

Also Nvidia didn't make a big deal about Maxwell. It has come up a few times in conferences and that is about it. Nvidia never said "Hold into your seats Maxwell is going to blow you away in 2013!" You got yourself excited about speculation and zero facts.

The HELL they didn't - did you not see the chart above? They made a big deal over Maxwell and that is a fact.

NVIDIA GTC2010: CUDA GPU Roadmap 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq202LKkeHI

The HELL they didn't - did you not see the chart above? They made a big deal over Maxwell and that is a fact.

NVIDIA GTC2010: CUDA GPU Roadmap 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq202LKkeHI

During a conference, all companies will declare they have something amazing coming in three years. The fact that all you have about Maxwell came from a three year old Power Point slide means Nvidia wasn't trying to string people along.

Also if Maxwell was as fast as you hoped, you wouldn't be able to afford it.

During a conference, all companies will declare they have something amazing coming in three years. The fact that all you have about Maxwell came from a three year old Power Point slide means Nvidia wasn't trying to string people along.

Also if Maxwell was as fast as you hoped, you wouldn't be able to afford it.

Make it up however you need to - I couldn't care less. The fact remains:

NV_roadmap_small.png

lol let's take a more recent one
nvidia_gpu_roadmap_maxwell_volta.jpg

Kepler is between 4 and 6 on that, on this one between 4 and 8. Go figure.

P.S. Take a look at Google Image search for the nvidia roadmaps. It's quite amusing to browse through them, they keep changing the positions all the time.

Yes because delays never happen in the pc hardware business and foundries are always ready when you need them.

And that map was updated already so it's not like there was no information Maxwell will be delayed.

NV_roadmap_small.png

If any company producing optimistic slides upsets you, you should stop following tech news. Nvidia laid out a roadmap, ended up being wrong, updated it, and you are still having sour grapes about it.

Unless the next generation is a month away, its never worth waiting. Buy what you need now, upgrade later when the games you play are not running well.

Just to clarify the two different roadmap slides... they're about the same ballpark numbers, it's just that the first one's scale was linear (2x) and the second was exponential (2^x). So the curve is really the same. They had to go to an exponential scale to fit Volta on there, and unfortunately it means less accuracy.

NV_roadmap_small.png

That was never a fact. It was a projected road map from several years ago.
It's not ready for market. Deal with it.

NVidia hasn't screwed you at all. Had they released an unfinished architecture and charged you for it, then they would have screwed you.

You haven't listened to a word any of us have said. Buy a card or don't. Just stop getting pissed when your fantasy doesn't pan out.

You do not have the budget on hand to be worrying about maxwell. Get yourself a 760 and be happy. It will last you for quite some time considering what you put up with now.

If you really want maxwell,sell it next year and buy that card when it's actually available.

Speculating over the next gen, when this gen just got released is such a waist of time it's not even funny.

The current generation of video cards seems to be a new golden age of performance relative to the games available. At 1080p you can max out almost any game out there with a 670 or a 760. I see no point waiting.

I want a 760 (or maybe 770) but am wondering if I should perhaps invest in a new CPU. I've been hesitant since Haswell hasn't seemed like a huge jump in performance.

Right now I am rocking an i7 920 OC'd to 3.8GHz and a 570GTX. I've noticed that in some of the MMO's I play now that things are starting to slow down a bit (was playing the Final Fantasy XIV beta over the weekend and couldn't keep 60fps sustained at max settings). I'm wondering if picking up a 760 or 770 would help me out here or if I should look for a new CPU.

Back