NVIDIA 750i, 780i, 790i Graphics corruption?

Kijutsu

n00b
I've been looking at the EVGA motherboards containing any of the 750i, 780i, or the 790i chipsets from NVidia. I keep reading that ALL the 7xxi series contains this whatever bug is creating massive headaches with the graphics corruption, then hard locks on any videos whatsoever? What's the deal? I can hardly find any info on it without people going nuts over it. Can't make heads or tails of what causes it or if it's even fixed. Any info you guys got? Thanks!

Ive heard it was when overclocking, but havent heard of anything for the 750i.
I have the 750i and a quad at 3.5GHz, with no issues.

I keep reading the same things. Was planning on getting a 790i so I could go with dual gx2's, but think I might just skip it and go with the more reliable x48 boards and get a single gx2. Use the extra cash I save for water cooling or something.

I have no issues with graphics on the 780i. Usually these stories are of some moron who is a first time OCer or tried to OC something massive and screwed his PC up and is blaming the technology. Running the QX9650 at 3.8GHz using a DUOORB from Thermaltake without issue.

X3220 @ 3.6Ghz (2.4Ghz stock), XFX (reference) 780i SLI, 4GB (2x2GB) Patriot DDR2-800 4-4-4-12, 2x OCZ 8800 GTXs in SLI. No issues.

Hrmm.. maybe it's just the EVGA motherboards that are having nasty issues? From what I read on the EVGA forums and NewEgg reviews, everybody is blaming the NVidia chipsets.

I've had an Asus P5N-D (based on the 750i chipset) with an overclocked Q6600 for about a month and a half. No corruption or video lockups. I had occasional bluescreens at one point, but that was because I needed to adjust some voltages once I added a second 8800GT for SLI.

evga 780i w/ e8400 @ 4300mhz. 9800gx2 quad sli. no graphics/vid problems. no problems at all. and no problems when i used a q6600 and gts g92 sli, either.

Appears to be an issue with a couple specific combinations of hardware. I was very worried about this when I ordered my 750i FTW but after some pretty heavy usage and some testing of this specific issue it hasn't happened yet on the system in the sig.

One of the mods at eVGA forums says they are close to a BIOS fix to elimiminate this, but it isn't as widespread as some would have you believe.

I didn't come across it (had the board since March) until I tried watching a movie downloaded from Netflix this week.

Yeah im one of the unforuntate users who gets the video corruption while playing movies. Games and DVD's are fine but if you watch avi or mpeg files....thats the only time it happens, it can for an hour fine sometimes and out of the blue it will just happen again.

Hope Nvidia fix this issue asap, as this has been going on since feb!.

Back