nVidia 680M availability, badass gaming laptop needed!

undertheradar

[H]ard|Gawd
I can't believe I am asking this...

I am a desktop guy. Laptops have always been a secondary consideration to my triple monitor SLI goodness in my office. BUT, I took an awesome job that is 90%+ international travel. The laptop that is provided is okay for basic games with its intel i7 and nVIdia Quadro 1000M graphics. It is a workstation... I didn't expect much.

As it turns out, I love the job... so far I have lived in Brazil, Sweden, Japan, and China. The future will have me going to China, Indonesia, Vietnam, Finland, Australia, New Zealand... you name it. This is an Electrical Engineer's dream job!

But I miss my games. I need my Battlefield 3!!!

So... I need a badass gaming laptop. Something with an nVidia 680M, i7, a 17"+ screen... you get the idea. So I saw the Alienware. It looks nice, but it has many things that I don't need and costs about $3500 for something close to what I want. What other companies have the 680M available already?

True. But hey its a good laptop. If you want something cheaper you can get an M17x R4 off Amazon for 1700. Has the 7970M in it.

M18x R1 is already powerful as I see it. It runs BF3 as smoothly as my desktop rig at the same Graphic settings (everything maxed out). This M18X my friend has has 2860QM and SLI 580Ms. And it runs even quieter than my rig, which is the thing that I envy the most, my 570 runs hot and loud in BF3, but his laptop runs the same hot and less loud :(

Now imagine what if you got 2 680Ms in that M18x and much better CPU? Makes me really wanna go to laptop camps, but I still love my Mini ITX box.

just a reminder that sager/clevo still doesnt have proper support for the 7970m/enduro and that it's causing performance to drop in and out.

p.s./rant Damn Nvidia for increasing the 680 by 5% stock over 7970m with its built in turbo, charging 300usd more, but release drivers that actually work.
( Isn't that always the story? )

2200 seems about right for the 680m, unless you get a m17x r3 on the outlet and replace the gpu yourself and sell the old gpu (like I did)

Last edited:
Don't know about the newest m17x, but back in R2 days, it was way too loud compared to M18X. The loudness on the old M17x were the main reason i moved away from large-sized gaming laptop, but after seeing my friend's m18x and its quietness, i kind of regreted for that decision a little bit. Maybe they changed M17x design as well.

Well. I have been out of the country for about 5 months now... Currently living in Germany about 2 hours from Amsterdam! This means I get a $3000 bonus for long-away-time. Guess I will order an m18x. I will call them for sure though... tell them I am poor since my Chinese girlfriend likes to spend all my money... lol. Yeah, right. I'm a millionaire over there; I could support her on my lunch money.

Back