Nvidia 6800 Ultra Upgrade Advice please.

jnex26

2[H]4U
Hi All,

I Currently have a Nvidia 6800 Ultra and I want to ook at upgrading I don't want to spend alot I just want ot know what would be faster than this card ?

J

It depends on your budget and the resolution that you want to play games at. Incidentally, which games do you want to play?

Well about £100-£150 would be ideal but i can go higher

as for games I just want to beable to play the newer games out, if at all possible i would like to play crysis but I'm aware it's a real system hog.

J

The ATI 4850 will run you back around 150$ USD and will offer a 250% leap in performance, under most situations.

since you are running a P35, I say go w/ an ATi card since it will work better w/ the intel chipset

ie. 4850, 4870 etc. imho

- What size monitor do you have?
- What power supply do you have? Make and model please.

Oh and the 8800GT will be major upgrade from the 6800Ultra:
XFX 8800GT 512MB PCI-E Video Card - £105.61 Inc VAT

But if you can spare the cash, go with the HD4850 instead:
Power Color HD4850 512MB PCI-E video card - £122.07 Inc VAT

But make sure that your power supply can handle this card.

Ok I have a 21Inch CRT from 1998 it's maximum resolution is 1600x1200

PSU is a JN120F-600AP12V2 It's not a great PSU but it works.

4850 +1
I have the exact same monitor and can play crysis with almost everything on high 1280x1024.
Its a great card.

I agree with the 4850 recommendations. Seems like the sweet spot for your setup and budget.

Wow...ATI really smoking with the 4850. Dont remember ever seeing this before. Most threads like this I see around the net always point the op to a 4850.

Well i took the plunge and ordered the Powercolor HD4850 OC

Let's hope my system's upto it.

Well i took the plunge and ordered the Powercolor HD4850 OC

Let's hope my system's upto it.

It should run great in your system. You'll see an absolutely massive performance improvement over the 6800.

One more quick question.
As i'm going Nvidia > ATI is it still the wisest course of action to re-format ? or is vista/nivida better with these types of issues.

Best value card by far at the moment is the 4850. At the price of around £120 it just can't be beaten in my opinion.

One more quick question.
As i'm going Nvidia > ATI is it still the wisest course of action to re-format ? or is vista/nivida better with these types of issues.

Just uninstall the nvidia drivers before you pop the new card in.

Wow, a 6800Ultra. I've always wanted one.

OP, would you be willing to sell it? Let me know!

Also, what is the manufacturer brand and memory amount?

Thanks, and good luck on your upgrade! ;)

One more quick question.

Reformatting isn't really necessary. I suggest you just clean out the old drivers and install the new ones, and don't bother reinstalling unless you have stability or performance issues.
What?? How is that? Can you explain this?

That simply isn't true. Neither ATI nor nVidia's cards work "better" with any chipset.
Wait wait wait...Anyone ask if he even can switch? That's such an old series he may still be running AGP.

Look at the rest of his system.

That simply isn't true. Neither ATI nor nVidia's cards work "better" with any chipset.

Actually thats not true either, there was a bench posted on the forums showing a comparison between an AMD chipset running crossfire and an Intel chipset running crossfire, the difference was slight but still in favor of AMD.

Not exactly going to make me switch from my very excellent P45 system but there is still a very slight difference :D

Oh and yea, I still have my 6800Ultra core around here, I removed it from the PCB along time ago when a friend sold it to me for $5, it didn't work so I decided to take it apart and rip shit off, I think I was going through some depressed times and just wanted to mess something up :( anyways awsome card, still plays alot of games not bad for what 5 gens old?

Grats on your purchase, excellent card, I love my 4870's to death and would recommend either camps current cards!

Actually thats not true either, there was a bench posted on the forums showing a comparison between an AMD chipset running crossfire and an Intel chipset running crossfire, the difference was slight but still in favor of AMD.

Not exactly going to make me switch from my very excellent P45 system but there is still a very slight difference :D

There's no difference when it comes to single cards. It's possible that AMD and nVidia have implemented tweaks into their chipsets to optimise multi-GPU setups, but that's a different story.

Yea but, who cares about these tweaks, none of these tweaks are going to do anything extreme to really put one chipset in favor of the other one, its kind of cool you get the same gaming performance with an AMD set up vs Intel in gaming but ... would you realy just go AMD and completely forget about everything else Intel is good at?

Yea but, who cares about these tweaks, none of these tweaks are going to do anything extreme to really put one chipset in favor of the other one, its kind of cool you get the same gaming performance with an AMD set up vs Intel in gaming but ... would you realy just go AMD and completely forget about everything else Intel is good at?

Exactly.

uninstall nvidia drivers, reboot into safe mode and run driver sweeper, shutdown, install new card and install new drivers.. should not have to reformat.

Back