nVidia 6800 and DVI resolutions > 1280x1024 HELP!?!

I just got off the one with the lead over at BFG and there's some good news, not so good news, and who knows news ;)

1. These cards are produced/outsourced by nVidia so they are reference models. What this should mean is that the quality of the DVI output should not be in question as extremetech has shown that nVidia produced/sourced cards have excellent DVI quality.

2. The max supported resolution for DVI is 1600x1200. BFG acknowledged that wrong information was being disseminated yesterday. All resolutions under 1600x1200 should be available.

3. There IS a definite issue with resolutions above 1280x1024. For some people setting the resolution above that forces a refresh rate under the minimum 60 and causes all kinds of issues as has been reported. The problem report has been forwarded to nvidia and the hope is that it is only a driver issue but nothing is known at this point.

4. *I* believe that the problem with widescreen support is definitely related to incrorrect EDID information of the monitors/TVs. It seems that while ATI smartly reads resolution support off of the monitor driver, nVidia reads the EDID which is often wrong. I requested that nVidia change this and a report of the issue has been forwarded to nVidia by BFG.

So, we're still at square one in some respects and have good news in other areas. The good news is that the DVI quality should be excellent and that the known problems have been forwarded to nVidia for resolution. The bad news is that there are problems for people running resolutions above 1280x768 and non-standard resolutions.

I'm very happy to see that the incorrect information from BFG yesterday was promptly corrected and that BFG is actively trying to fix issues with the card. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again given my experience. Hopefully we'll have some answers to the outstanding issues shortly.

Bar81 said:
I'll check it out tomorrow to see if the OC has anything to do with my problems also. Right now I have it sitting next to me (I was going blind at a non native res) and will pop it back in tomorrow morning for further testing. Off to bed :)

Did you ever test that theory Bar ?

Bar81 said:
I just got off the one with the lead over at BFG and there's some good news, not so good news, and who knows news ;)
I'm very happy to see that the incorrect information from BFG yesterday was promptly corrected and that BFG is actively trying to fix issues with the card. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again given my experience. Hopefully we'll have some answers to the outstanding issues shortly.
<clap, clap> good job

They forgot to upgrade the recommended PSU I fixed a few posts above. :p

After discussing with NVIDIA, this is what we found:

1. The issue is in the EDID of the Samsung 240T and they specify 52Hz for both 1600x1200 and 1920x1200.

2. NVIDIA drivers have a 60 Hz limit

3. The limit will be removed in NVIDIA Rel. 65 drivers

4. A reg key is provided in NVIDIA's 61.74 web release

Woot for John Malley and BFG for getting back to us on this.

I love to see this kind of support from any store/MFG. (and this was why I was a big PCNut fan before Humphery called it quits)

==>Lazn

John Malley said:
After discussing with NVIDIA, this is what we found:

1. The issue is in the EDID of the Samsung 240T and they specify 52Hz for both 1600x1200 and 1920x1200.

2. NVIDIA drivers have a 60 Hz limit

3. The limit will be removed in NVIDIA Rel. 65 drivers

4. A reg key is provided in NVIDIA's 61.74 web release

Great news. Any chance nVidia drivers will stop reading resolution support off of EDID (which is sometimes wrong esp for widescreen displays) for a monitor? ATI doesn't seem to give me any problems because I'm assuming they read display support from the drivers. I just wish that the nVidia drivers worked as well.

I don't know if this is a good reason to make this sticky or not, but BFG called me and said that they would be posting a link to the new driver as well as how to disable listening to the monitor's EDID file from the registry.

He seemed optimistic that the release would be within a week.

i am about to be getting this card next week along with the computer that i ordered......and i will be hooking this up to a 22" samsung LCD tv.......and i planned on using the dvi connection but after reading this i am a little concerned.....the resolution of the tv is 1280x720....should this resolution also cause a problem with the dvi connection...thanks

Keep in mind the HDCP DVI port on TVs were desinged with HDTV boxes and DVD players in mind, not PC's.

BFG to the rescue again !
another reason they have my money again
now BAR you gonna change that BFG POS post man? ;)

As mentioned HDTV's are different beasts than Standard DVI. HDTV's really like to use a YPrPb input, or something similar (even analog SVGA)

You could be ok with 1280x720 if it is still progressive (720p), but the board must support interlaced modes if you want to use the others (like 1080i) Standard DVI cable length restrictions apply too, so the computer has to be within about 6 feet of the TV if you want to do it that way.

well i only plan on using the resolution of 1280x720 and the cable i got is 6 ft. long....so should i not encounter any problems then

thought i'd chime in here, got my bfg 6800 gt, just installed it and it works fine at 1600x1200 via DVI on my Dell 2001FP. Actually, i think it looks a bit crsiper than it did on my 9800Pro.

bigkev4123 said:
well i only plan on using the resolution of 1280x720 and the cable i got is 6 ft. long....so should i not encounter any problems then

Don't worry about running in 1280x720 because you can create a custom resolution via the "Change Resolutions" flyout tab. I can run at 1280x720 however I cannot run anything above 1280x1024.

I'm glad to see a fix is in the pipeline, however I would hope that I don't have to wait a week to get it. I'm running my TV at 1280x768 right now and my native resolution is 1368x768. It works OK, but I want my native resolution...

Well at least it worked for somebody. :p

Too bad for me as the Radeon 8500 is going back in my computer tonight. I'm going to retest it with the Catalyst 3.10 drivers that I used to have in my machine, then I'm going to update to the Catalyst 4.7s and try those.

Still waiting for an EDID override from nVIDIA but this isn't looking good :(

I didn't have a problem running my 6800GT @ 1600x1200 through DVI. Looks like a lot of others here are also running at 1600x1200. Who would have thought the title was wrong? :p

edit: nvidia's DVI HDTV support has been pretty lame. I hope they fix it and also make component cables more readily available. :rolleyes:

pxc said:
I didn't have a problem running my 6800GT @ 1600x1200 through DVI. Looks like a lot of others here are also running at 1600x1200. Who would have thought the title was wrong? :p

edit: nvidia's DVI HDTV support has been pretty lame. I hope they fix it and also make component cables more readily available. :rolleyes:

When I run at 1600x1200 via DVI, my monitor blows up and says that it can't say that resolution (as it should!). However when I try that on my GeForce 6800 GT, I get a Windowed desktop. Why do I care? Because my monitor's EDID information says that the maximum resolution it supports is 1280x1024 and my ancient Radeon will gleefully push my monitor to 1368x768 while my brand new GeForce stops dead at 1280x1024.

Oh, how I wish there was a fix, but so far nothing yet. Here's my uber thread at NVNews.

JGene: My EDID says my monitor can do 1920x1200 @ 52hz... but I got it running at 1920x1200@60hz with the new driver. With the new driver what I had to do was uncheck the box that says hide modes that this monitor can't display and it displayed everything that was listed in the EDID and then I added the custom resolution with the different refresh rate in my case. I'm not sure it will work in your case because you're changing resolutions, but it's worth a try.

divbyzero said:
JGene: My EDID says my monitor can do 1920x1200 @ 52hz... but I got it running at 1920x1200@60hz with the new driver. With the new driver what I had to do was uncheck the box that says hide modes that this monitor can't display and it displayed everything that was listed in the EDID and then I added the custom resolution with the different refresh rate in my case. I'm not sure it will work in your case because you're changing resolutions, but it's worth a try.

My problem is my monitor's EDID only goes up to 1280x1024 and anything beyond that gets me a virtual desktop. Long story short, I talked to one of BFG tech support's level 3 tech guys and he said nVIDIA is aware of the issue, however they have not commited to a driver release or any time frame for which this fix would be released. Bummer, back in goes the Radeon 8500 :( My 6800 GT is in it's cardboard box at the moment.

So:

1 SM240T
1 BFG 6800 Ultra OC
1 copy of Doom 3.

Heavenly DVI gaming at 1920x1200?
Unfortunately not as described by people in the last six pages of this thread!

However I have managed to find a temporary fix:

Connect your sm240t to the 6800 using both the analogue and the digital.
Switch to viewing using the digital input
Uninstall your drivers from control panel add/remove
Restart computer.
Install current drivers 61.77 I believe
Go to display properties:

Here is where the fix is. After doing this you should find that the 6800 is confused into thinking that digital connection that you are viewing on is actually its analogue connection - ie the other one.

This means that you are given the choice of resolutions available on the analogue input (which as you've uninstalled the drivers should now be everything up to 2048!), but you are actually viewing it through the DVI on the digital input of the SM.

This works until you restart or doing anything stupid basically. Then you have to do it all over again.

Still - worth it just to max out the 6800.

Look forward to hearing if this works for anyone else.

Back