nVidia 650i board with ati vid card?

sfsuphysics

[H]F Junkie
Is this just asking for issues? I'm in the process of building C2D system, and I'm almost all but locked on the 650i chipset for the motherboard, seems to be the best all around deal not as flashy as the 680i, but then again about $100 cheaper.

On the video card side of things I've been leaning heavily towards a x1950pro, now I know I won't be able to use two in crossfire mode, but is this just a stupid choice? Or would I be better going with a nVidia card, 7900GT? then later on if I want some extra video power get another for SLI. But then again the motherboard x16 for one of the bays, if I run 2 cards they'll run at x8, does this matter?

Eitherway I'd appreciate any opinions, keeping in mind I want to do this on a budget, so no 8800 cards!

the 16 lane pci express slot is the same on all boards. your ati card will run just as well on an nvidia board as an intel or ati chipset board. so far there is no difference in performance between 2 8 lane slots vs 2 16 lane slots.

so far there is no difference in performance between 2 8 lane slots vs 2 16 lane slots.
actually there is with 8800s in SLI - a recent review showed upto ~ 20% different in max. fps but a staggering 300% in minimum fps

Back