Nvidia 5.1 output bug?

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
Laptop is X1 Extreme with 4k screen and 1050ti

I just found out that I can't plugin my laptop to my 4k TV to both stream video and have 5.1 surround.

Nvidia says this is because my TV EIDI reports it is only stereo, but other devices like my xbox can do both 4k and 5.1 without any issues.

They say I need to plug the HDMI into my receiver first, and then go from the receiver to the TV. Unfortunatly this configuration also does not work because the output on my receiver is ARC. So when I do this I STILL only see the TV stereo option and not the receiver.

I have to unplug the receiver output from either the receiver or the TV's HDMI hub. Basically I need to disable ARC.
I can then output a second HDMI by docking my laptop back to the HDMI hub for the TV.

But this means I have to reconfigure my entire entertainment center just to properly play a movie out of my laptop?

In control panel/manage audio devices/ click on your amps icon, and change from stereo to whatever multichannel you want. I have mine connected to my amp then tv, and arc is enabled. For the majority of things everything is stereo anyways. Except games and media that is encoded with dd or dts. Netflix on pc will pass dd.

In control panel/manage audio devices/ click on your amps icon, and change from stereo to whatever multichannel you want. I have mine connected to my amp then tv, and arc is enabled. For the majority of things everything is stereo anyways. Except games and media that is encoded with dd or dts. Netflix on pc will pass dd.
I only have the stereo option unless I unplug the hdmi arc connector.

Yes Netflix and other apps decoded thought the tv all work fine for 5.1.

Netflix from pc with nvidia hd audio will only pass as stereo unless I remove the arc connector then plug it back in when I am done...

Back