Nvidia 451.48 drivers (DX12 Ultimate support)

So maybe that SHEDULING will be help in Assassin Creed ODdysey when are sometimes gpu load drops and low fps ? ( its playing with ubi launcher in background ). When i minimalize launcher its fine. Maybe now will be better?

Ok guys, just updated to the latest nvidia drivers and win2004 and i can confirm vrr was turned on by default, scheduling was off. I swapped them, rebooted, all is well in all games and at the desktop. 2080 Super and a G-Sync panel.

Does VRR need to be turned on in the Windows settings to get full gsync experience or just in NVCP?

Does VRR need to be turned on in the Windows settings to get full gsync experience or just in NVCP?

Couldn't say. I had GSync for years prior to these drivers and still have it even with this setting off.

I'm waiting until there is an in-depth writup about what that setting even does before messing with it.

I don't even have the VRR option on 2004, just the HAGS option. Turned it on, will test later.

So maybe that SHEDULING will be help in Assassin Creed ODdysey when are sometimes gpu load drops and low fps ? ( its playing with ubi launcher in background ). When i minimalize launcher its fine. Maybe now will be better?

I can only say it helped with some stuttering and input lag in origins. Have not tried odyssey yet

Only tested Rage 2 so far, but I'm getting like 10% better frame rate.

It's like a free upgrade.

VRR has nothing to do with g-sync. It's basically just an adaptive sync option for Windows 10 apps. If you use g-sync/freesync you should keep the setting off, and honestly i'm not sure of any real benefit of this setting as it's basically just adaptive sync which you could already force through NVCP before anyways.

All my games seem to run better with scheduling enabled, but it could just be placebo.

I don't know if its the windows update part of it or the new nvidia driver, but I get the green artifact looking things while signing into windows now. Its only for a split second but things like that bug me.

I did some quick research, and I believe this is false. VRR is a generic name for what gsync and freesync do.

The setting in Windows is specifically to allow gsync/freesync on Windows Store games, which previously did not work.

https://www.techspot.com/news/80369-microsoft-adds-variable-refresh-rate-setting-windows-10.html
Gsync has always worked with windows store games like the latest gears and sea of thieves. VRR is nothing more than adaptive sync for those types of apps.

And no, VRR/adaptive sync is not the same as full blown hardware Gsync. You don’t run adaptive sync as a setting when using Gsync.

I tried a few other games, Watch Dogs 2, Doom Eternal, Dirt Rally, and more Rage 2.

I feel like performance may be a little better or close to the same (definitely not worse and no glitches).

Rage 2, in particular, seemed to benefit. Before I was getting in the 140 fps range in an idle scene, with the update I was getting 150 - 160 fps, so around 10% better performance.

This got me interested in overclocking again, so I OC'd my CPU and GPU (a modest amount) and was able to get another 10% in Rage 2, to the 170 range.

In a fight scene, this would be lower, but I was still maintaining above 130 fps, while without the update (or OC) I was getting only around 110 fps in fight.

Seems like a win to me.

Gsync has always worked with windows store games like the latest gears and sea of thieves. VRR is nothing more than adaptive sync for those types of apps.

And no, VRR/adaptive sync is not the same as full blown hardware Gsync. You don’t run adaptive sync as a setting when using Gsync.
I think this works with older UWP games that did not support VRR or unlocked framerates, here is another link for you.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...e-variable-refresh-rate-in-unsupported-games/

It is definitely about gsync/freesync. I've provided two links. You'll have to provide a source for your claims.

Reactions: XoR_
like this
So scheduling on with my sons 1660ti and freesync monitor turns Final fantasy 14 into a slide show turn scheduling off reboot and the game is smooth as can be.

Shame windows update does not give me the 2004 patch. Looks like I'll have to manually install it tomorrow then give these drivers a shot for myself.

Okay, so I retested Rage 2. Left my overclock on the whole time to avoid extra variables.

I'm seeing around 10 fps boost just eyeballing it while playing. So not quite 10%, but still a noticeable improvement.

Shadow of War bench went from 62fps to 72fps, everything maxed @ 4k/60Hz on my 5820k @ 4.3GHz. 2080Ti

Is there some reason why I don't have the VRR option in my display settings?

Shadow of War bench went from 62fps to 72fps, everything maxed @ 4k/60Hz on my 5820k @ 4.3GHz. 2080Ti

Is there some reason why I don't have the VRR option in my display settings?

I don't either, maybe monitor specific?

So scheduling on with my sons 1660ti and freesync monitor turns Final fantasy 14 into a slide show turn scheduling off reboot and the game is smooth as can be.
HAGS is part of the new DX12 feature level, which is only supported on RTX cards. GTX 16-series cards won't be able to use it.

HAGS is part of the new DX12 feature level, which is only supported on RTX cards. GTX 16-series cards won't be able to use it.
Tom's says: "This new feature shows up in the Windows display settings, at the bottom under the Graphics Settings, provided you have a Pascal or later generation Nvidia GPU."
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-hardware-scheduling-tested

But I'm having trouble finding any confirmation on the Nvidia website or any other site really.

Tom's says: "This new feature shows up in the Windows display settings, at the bottom under the Graphics Settings, provided you have a Pascal or later generation Nvidia GPU."

But I'm having trouble finding any confirmation on the Nvidia website or any other site really.
None of the information I can find is specific. What I am working off of is the news post from NVIDIA that only ever mentions RTX cards and the various videos I have seen where people have tested the feature on Pascal cards.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/directx-12-ultimate-game-ready-driver/

It would help to get clarification on the point. If all DirectX 12 hardware supports the feature then maybe it's just a matter of the support needing to be there in the driver.

None of the information I can find is specific. What I am working off of is the news post from NVIDIA that only ever mentions RTX cards and the various videos I have seen where people have tested the feature on Pascal cards.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/directx-12-ultimate-game-ready-driver/

It would help to get clarification on the point. If all DirectX 12 hardware supports the feature then maybe it's just a matter of the support needing to be there in the driver.
" DirectX 12 Ultimate and its features are fully supported on GeForce RTX GPUs on Windows 10 operating systems using version 2004 or newer. " does that not mean its an RTX thing not pascal?

Tom's did a piece, looks like it's not quite a savor.

I'll have to retest Rage 2 cause I've been playing this game a bunch the last 2 weeks, I'm pretty sure there was a difference.

I agree that the other games I tried were very similar in performance.

I'll be interested to see more testing but it's not surprising. I forget where I read it, but I kinda agree. They said that if it really was a significant bump in performance, nvidia would make a bigger deal about it.

" DirectX 12 Ultimate and its features are fully supported on GeForce RTX GPUs on Windows 10 operating systems using version 2004 or newer. " does that not mean its an RTX thing not pascal?
That's exactly what I'm saying, and I'm sticking to it until we have actual information saying otherwise. Just having the option there does not mean it will work.

This line leads me to believe the HAGS is a separate thing from DX12 Ultimate, maybe it just happens to be in the same driver.

" Furthermore, in addition to introducing support for DirectX 12 Ultimate, the Windows 10 May 2020 Update also added a new feature called Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling. "

I'd pretty much assumed this, but it does sound like the information is confusing enough that perspectives might differ most on where people started reading.
I think the fact that Pascal and GTX Turing users are seeing no or negative effects when enabling the option corroborates the idea that this hardware does not support HAGS, whether that is at the hardware or software level.

Yeah obviously cause it’s some kind of issue with his GTX 1660 TI once we disabled it rebooted the system at all his games worked fine but Final Fantasy was definitely messed up from it I haven’t had the chance to test on my system yet is mine hasn’t gotten a new Windows update but I have an RTX 2060 super so I am assuming it’ll work as normal

I'd like to see more benchmarks to understand what the feature brings (this might also help confirm which cards are supported).

With my 2080 Ti I saw no penalty for turning it on, and decent gains in 1 game (Rage 2).

The other 4 games I tested I didn't see a huge change in FPS either way, but I want to say Doom Eternal felt more responsive.

Granted, with Doom, I'm getting over 200 FPS normally, so it's hard to say it matters if I get an extra 10 or 15 FPS at that point.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get Afterburner/RivaTuner to show in Doom, I am using the in-game HUD but it moves really fast and it's hard to read.

Also, we need someone like DF to test the latency. Even if FPS is the same, latency could improve making it a win. So far we haven't seen an in-depth analysis.

I have to do more testing, but I noticed a very slight bump in some games, and no real changes in others (Gaming at 4K, 2080Ti). However; I DID notice my CPU scores higher in every single benchmark (even outside gaming in Cinebench R20). I'm guessing because this memory allocation workload is no longer handled by the CPU at all times.

This makes sense in the fact I see maybe 3%~5% boost in a few games and nothing in others, all running at 4K. If I had to guess; those with RTX cards with the lower numbers (2060, 2070) might see more of a performance boost while running at 1080p or 2K as those are also resolutions typically with some CPU limitations.

Another side effect, this does effect GPU overclocks some. I was on the hairy edge before with a +120Mhz core clock on my GPU, I actually had to take this down to +110Mhz as it crashed HARD in one of my tests at +120Mhz, so much so the PC rebooted and posted a "d6" error code on my bios (VGA card not found). Once I took the GPU clock back slightly, I have not had a single issue.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...eduling_boost_performance_-_tested_with_rtx/1

Does Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling boost performance - Tested with RTX
Microsoft's Windows 10 May 2000 update is a gamechanger for PC users, bringing DirectX 12 Ultimate to the OS alongside other gaming-focused features.

Sadly, it will take a while for many of these features to have a true impact on the market; as DirectX Ultimate feature set offering gamers many of the next-generation enhancements seen in Microsoft's upcoming Xbox Series X console. Even so, we have a new feature to look at called Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling, a feature which will give your graphics card full control of its memory.

With Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling, supported graphics cards gain more control of their inner workings. This can decrease latency and boost overall performance in specific workloads, and that's what we plan on testing today.

To do this, we will be testing games which use the DirectX 11, DirectX 12 and Vulkan APIs with Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling enabled and disabled to judge this feature's performance impact.

That's exactly what I'm saying, and I'm sticking to it until we have actual information saying otherwise. Just having the option there does not mean it will work.

but why did they add the option for Pascal if it doesn't work or is disabled...doesn't really make a whole lot of sense

Abstract
You may have noticed a mysterious new optional feature called Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling appear in the advanced graphics settings page with the Windows 10 May 2020 update. The purpose of this blog is to give some background on this new feature and how we are introducing it. It is intended for folks curious about Windows internals. Remaining on the cutting edge of hardware innovation has always been a critical aspect of our graphics platform. Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling enables more efficient GPU scheduling between applications. For most users, this transition will be transparent. It is one of those things that if we do our job right, you will never know the transition happened. As the graphics platform continues to evolve, this modernization will enable new scenarios in the future.

More: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling/

Relevant piece:

1593606913368.png

So according to this, Pascal and GTX Turing should support the feature, yet NVIDIA has yet to clarify specific support.

Abstract
You may have noticed a mysterious new optional feature called Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling appear in the advanced graphics settings page with the Windows 10 May 2020 update. The purpose of this blog is to give some background on this new feature and how we are introducing it. It is intended for folks curious about Windows internals. Remaining on the cutting edge of hardware innovation has always been a critical aspect of our graphics platform. Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling enables more efficient GPU scheduling between applications. For most users, this transition will be transparent. It is one of those things that if we do our job right, you will never know the transition happened. As the graphics platform continues to evolve, this modernization will enable new scenarios in the future.

More: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling/

This is all this thread needed. Everything we needed to know. TL;DR: you can turn it on, you may not notice much right now but its a step in modernization for the future.

Back