Supreme [H]ardness
VQe7R9xl.jpg

Get downloading people:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/120917/en-us

Highlights below:

• Added support for the following GPUs:

• GeForce GT 1030
      GeForce MX150
  • Fixed a bug that prevented changes to stereo eye assignment from getting applied from the nvidia-settings control panel.
  • Fixed a bug that caused S4 suspend (also known as "hibernate") to hang during suspend when SLI was enabled.
  • Fixed a bug where devices would not be properly enumerated by the Vulkan driver. See the "Known Issues" section of the README for more details.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause OpenGL applications to crash after calling glDeleteBuffers on VBOs that have been remapped with ARB_vertex_attrib_binding.
  • Fixed a bug that could sometimes cause OpenGL applications to lock up until the X server receives input.
  • Fixed a bug that caused nvidia-settings to drop device BusID values when making changes to an existing X configuration file.
  • Fixed a regression that prevented nvidia-xconfig from querying some GPUs, e.g. when running `nvidia-xconfig -a`.
  • Fixed a bug that caused VDPAU playback to be corrupted when extended to coordinates beyond 16384 pixels.
  • Updated nvidia-persistenced to initialize nvidia-modeset.ko in addition to nvidia.ko when setting persistence mode.
  • Restored several sanity checks that were inadvertently removed from the kernel module build process in the 355.06 driver.
  • Added support for a "Nearest" transform filter in the X driver. This causes the X driver to use nearest neighbor filtering when performing screen transformations. The filter can be requested through the 'filter' argument to RandR's RRSetCrtcTransform, or through the 'ResamplingMethod' MetaMode token.
  • Fixed a bug where nvidia-installer would install a wrong version of the Vulkan ICD configuration file when GLVND is disabled for the GLX client.
  • Fix a bug with GLX_EXT_buffer_age where incorrect buffer age values would be reported for SLI AFR configurations. In such configurations buffer age may now be greater than 3, the previous maximum buffer age.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause hanging and Xids when performing RandR transforms with Overlay and SLI enabled.
  • Extended the information reported by the NVIDIA Xinerama X extension to report PRIME displays in addition to directly-connected displays.
  • Fixed a bug that caused HDMI audio devices to appear or disappear inconsistently when HDMI devices were hotplugged or unplugged.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause driver errors when setting modes on X screens running at Depth 8 or Depth 15.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause intermittent kernel panics when running with PRIME Sync.
  • Fixed a bug that caused a kernel panic when hotplugging HDMI displays on some Zotac mini PCs.
  • Updated nvidia-installer to label kernel modules with SELinux file type 'modules_object_t'. Some system SELinux policies only permit loading of kernel modules with this SELinux file type.
  • Removed support for checking for and downloading updated driver packages and precompiled kernel interfaces from nvidia-installer. This functionality was limited to unencrypted ftp and http, and was implemented using code that is no longer actively maintained.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I updated my tumbleweed install last night as well.

I was running the earlier 384 beta... this driver doesn't seem much different just made it official which you gotta love.

For people not on Ubuntu or a PPA compliant derivative if you had an older Nvidia driver running this is all you really have to do.

Copy the new driver to your home directory.
Reboot; at the grub menu push the "e" key to bring up the boot parameters. Add the number 3 to the end of your boot options... the part that says something like "splash=silent quiet showopts" simply add a 3 "showopts 3" and press f10 to boot (says this at the bottom of the screen as well if you forget).
You will get a terminal log in with no X server running... Log in... and log in root with >su
Run the Nvidia installer in your home directory >sh NV* (should be all you need to type if you only have the one driver in your home dir)
Follow the Nvidia installers prompts. (make sure you say yes to installing 32bit if you are a steam user)
Run >mkinitrd (to rebuild your boot img with the new driver)
reboot

As always if you know your on a strange distro be sure and double check there isn't any odd steps required. Really though the runmode 3 boot > NV installer > rebuild boot img should work on most if not all distros.

Because ubuntu supports 375.66. Bullet posted a link to the official ubuntu ppa in post # 2 if you want to install newer Nvidia drivers.

i don't use ubuntu, i use mint,

i used this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-384

my multi monitor setup seems to be faster now then before!

but there is still lag! come on nvidia!

Last edited:
i don't use ubuntu, i use mint,

Fair enough ya mint runs the Ubuntu core distro.

As for your lag issue... check and ensure you have "force full composition pipeline" enabled. Nvidia likes to do things their own way and most people find flipping that on takes care of things. Other fixes involve forcing the xsystem to use triple buffering ect. Anyway check that if you pop up the nvidia xserver settings program under xserver display configuration (the second entry from the top) you will see the check box for FFCP when you click advanced.

The lag is an issue with Linux Mint.

Go to:

Settings > General > Tick 'Disable compositing for full-screen windows'.

That should fix the lag when dragging windows issue.

As for Nvidia drivers, go to Nvidia X Server settings as in my screenshot above, what version is shown?

sudo apt install nvidia-384 installs the drivers, they should already be installed, you don't need to use driver manager.

Fair enough ya mint runs the Ubuntu core distro.

As for your lag issue... check and ensure you have "force full composition pipeline" enabled. Nvidia likes to do things their own way and most people find flipping that on takes care of things. Other fixes involve forcing the xsystem to use triple buffering ect. Anyway check that if you pop up the nvidia xserver settings program under xserver display configuration (the second entry from the top) you will see the check box for FFCP when you click advanced.

Where can i find these settings, my nvidia, doesnt have these settings

nv.png

The lag is an issue with Linux Mint.

Go to:

Settings > General > Tick 'Disable compositing for full-screen windows'.

That should fix the lag when dragging windows issue.

As for Nvidia drivers, go to Nvidia X Server settings as in my screenshot above, what version is shown?

sudo apt install nvidia-384 installs the drivers, they should already be installed, you don't need to use driver manager.

ubunutu has this problem also,
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1263853

i cant find any of those settings you talk about,

i upgraded and now i am using 384.69

but the lag still happens with xinerama

I didn't really think about it but I am going to bet you need to run nvidia-settings as root.

The easiest way to do that is to open a terminal and run
sudo nvidia-settings

Hopefully the option will show then. Also there is another option under that now that I look myself that says "save x configuration file" after you tick the box do that as well.

One more thing.... I have no idea if this is the case for mint or not as I don't run an Ubuntu based distro myself. However not many distros install the package "xorg-server-devel" by default.

If you don't have the package installed the NV settings program may return an error when trying to write the xorg config file. So perhaps check and see if its installed on your system first. (if you don't see that package in mint it is possible those files are included in another mint package so try running the NV settings config anyway... by starting nvidia-settings from the terminal any errors will return there. If the server-devel package is an issue for Mint you will see an error something like this "Package xorg-server was not found in the pkg-config search path." ... if you see no errors everything should be fine. The simple way to check is to reboot and start nvsettings again and ensure FFCP is set.

eix nvidia-drivers
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
Available versions: [M]96.43.23-r1(0/96)^msd [M]173.14.39-r1(0/173)^msd [M]173.14.39-r2(0/173)^msd 304.135(0/304)^md (~)304.135-r1(0/304)^md 340.102(0/340)^md (~)340.102-r1(0/340)^md 375.39(0/375)^md 375.66(0/375)^md (~)375.66-r1(0/375)^md 378.13(0/378)^md (~)378.13-r1(0/378)^md 381.22(0/381)^md (~)381.22-r1(0/381)^md 384.59-r1(0/384)^md (~)384.69(0/384)^md {+X acpi compat custom-cflags +driver gtk gtk3 +kms multilib pax_kernel static-libs (+)tools uvm wayland ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_PPC="32 64" ABI_S390="32 64" ABI_X86="32 64 x32" KERNEL="FreeBSD linux"}
Installed versions: 384.69^md(19:16:13 07/09/17)(X driver gtk3 kms multilib tools uvm -acpi -compat -pax_kernel -static-libs -wayland ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32" KERNEL="linux -FreeBSD")
Homepage: http://www.nvidia.com/ http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx
Description: NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver

It's all in my original post about adding the driver PPA. [EDIT] Sorry, upon looking at my OP perhaps I didn't outline things clear enough, I just assumed people knew how to install drivers via PPA.

That's a really old version of Nvidia X Server Settings, I think you need to install a newer version of nvidia-settings. Open a terminal and type:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install nvidia-settings

Allow the settings panel to install and then type:

sudo reboot

After a reboot the Nvidia settings panel will be visible in your global menu, open it and see what version of driver is reported.

You don't need to run Nvidia Settings as root anymore, everything should be visible.

Last edited:
Running dual monitors here and I have no lag issue whatsoever. That link you posted is from 2009, I'm pretty sure that issue was resolved long ago, I'm also running an Ubuntu derivative. The reason I mention 'no issue here' is simply to highlight the fact that the issue isn't widespread and common on a modern Ubuntu based distro:

VQ2WD3Nh.png

Last edited:

View attachment 36268

ubunutu has this problem also,
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1263853

i cant find any of those settings you talk about,

i upgraded and now i am using 384.69

but the lag still happens with xinerama

Can you open Mint Control Centre for me and take a screenshot of the whole window including all options? We need to find that setting, as the lag when dragging Windows has been an issue under Linux Mint Cinnamon for quite some time that is usually rectified by changing this setting.

Last edited:
I don't have any problem with 2 monitors either using xinerama, once i get into the 5th monitor, it starts to lag

but i am running 8 monitors, it seems it can't handle 8 monitors using xinerama

also in your screen shot, it doesnt say you are running xinerama, plus you only have 2 monitors and only 1 video card, its different than my problem,

the more applications i have, the more lag,

8mon.png

where is the mint control center, i can't find it,
i'm running mint xfce, i ran cinnimon, but i couldn't even get it working with 2 different video cards
1 video card it worked fine

running it in sudo makes no difference

i upgraded and makes no difference, i am running the latest nvidia drivers now 384.69

Last edited:
The Xinerama options are completely different in newer version of Nvidia X Server - That's why I stated that your version of nvidia-settings looks very old, unless it's got something to do with eight monitors? I've never run eight monitors before so I can't comment.

Eight monitors is a little extreme, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were exceeding the hardware limitations of your GPU in certain situations with that many monitors and desktop acceleration enabled, without desktop acceleration enabled you're going to be exceeding the limitations of your CPU.

The fix for window dragging judder was only for Mint Cinnamon, XFCE shouldn't be affected.

You need to find another compatible Nvidia card and try swapping half of your monitors to another card, in effect run two cards not in SLI - Eight monitors is extreme and most likely the cause of your issue.

Last edited:
missed that. yeah id say you are right that he's just pushing that thing to far. nv has cards designed for this...

i'm running an i7-5820k 3.30 ghz 6 core
32 gb memory
gtx 970 4gb - 4 monitors
gt 640 2gb - 4 monitors

without xinerama enabled, this setup runs fine, no lag whatsoever
i am running 8 monitors, tons of applications, bitcoin, storj,open bazzar, 4 different browsers, 4 virtual machines, video editing, dolphin emulator,
and runs perfect, no lag

but if i enable xinerama, can't handle it past 4 monitors

i wanted to buy another gtx 970 to replace my gt 640, but since it seems its a xinerama problem, so theres no need to spend 200 on another video card,
i thought it was my gt640 which was slowing down xinerama,

i really wish i could find one to test it, it will always bother me, i will eventually buy another gt 970 when the price is about under 100 used,
because i want to add 2 more screens, for a total of 12 screens, which is the final amount of monitors i want, although i would love to also add a big projector screen as the 13th screen and final screen, but my apartment is too small for that and i can't afford a house

a man can always dream

(y)

so this happens only in xinrama. maybe its the mismatched gpus. that 640 is way below the 970. how does it act if you disconnect a couple from the 640?

i tried xinerama a total of 5 monitors, 4 monitors on the 970, and 1 monitor on the 640

and it still happens,

but what i didn't try 1 video card at a time, instead of 2 video cards inside the computer, i will only install 1 video card
actually that is a good test, i didnt think about testing that

on the weekend, i will remove both video cards and test each individual video card separately on xinerama,

since both cards take a total of 4 monitors, maybe the gt640 will cause lag in xinerama, and then i will know its the video card,
if it doesnt cause lag, then i'm out ideas,

Using xinerama you're rendering 13,658,720 pixels as all screens are treated as one large SLS, 4k = 8,294,400 pixels. Depending on the applications running I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that you're simply GPU, possibly CPU, limited - A 5820k still has limitations.

What does CPU usage do when you're encountering the issue? What's memory usage at? What is the Nvidia X Server settings reporting as utilization on each GPU?

These are all things you need to diagnose as I doubt very much the issue lies with the drivers, I honestly believe the issue is a hardware limitation as a result of pushing so many pixels around, especially considering the applications being used.

I just finished testing each individual video card :

970 - 2 monitors only in xinerama, same problem
640 - 2 monitors only in xinerama same problem

so it seems its not a conflict of video cards, it's definitely that xinerama program/driver problem

The CPU and memory are normal, i didnt check the utilization on each gpu, not sure where to find that

I simply think that xinerama is either not capable of doing this, probably because they have not coded it right/made the drivers correctly to work
and a linux problem

i don't think its a hardware issue because windows has no problems handling 3 different video cards and 8 monitors,

i still would like to try to identical video cards not in xinerama, to see if the linux nouveau driver or nvidia drivers allows applciations throughout all 8 monitors

Ok.

So if you run two monitors off one card you get this windows judder issue, I run two monitors off one card and I don't have the judder issue (just for comparison) and I use Nvidia drivers.

What's interesting is that I haven't seen the xinerama option in Nvidia X Server Settings for at least 18 months now, possibly even two years? This is how it looks now, you have a drop down under 'configuration':

YWmjBIvh.png

Both screens are still configured as one large SLS as per xinerama, but it's not called xinerama? What version of NV Control are you running?

Bq0JMdzh.png

Knowing GPU utilization and pci-e utilization is going to be an important part of diagnosing this problem. You can find the necessary info under Nvidia X Server Settings, here:

tdtC2J3h.png

Notice how my two X screens are set as 'Screen 0', to the OS both monitors are one large SLS as per xinerama.

i tried xinerama a total of 5 monitors, 4 monitors on the 970, and 1 monitor on the 640

and it still happens,

but what i didn't try 1 video card at a time, instead of 2 video cards inside the computer, i will only install 1 video card
actually that is a good test, i didnt think about testing that

on the weekend, i will remove both video cards and test each individual video card separately on xinerama,

since both cards take a total of 4 monitors, maybe the gt640 will cause lag in xinerama, and then i will know its the video card,
if it doesnt cause lag, then i'm out ideas,
I've always found Xinerama VERRRRY slow. Native multi monitor support via drivers is much better.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Back