nVidia 314.21 Beta Drivers (Tomb Raider)

BatJoe

Gawd
Page is up, but download links not quite ready (Update: download links working!)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.21-beta-driver.html (64bit)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-32bit-314.21-beta-driver.html (32bit)

Release Summary
• Improves performance and stability in Tomb Raider
• Adds new SLI and 3D Vision profiles.

Additional Details
•Installs PhysX System Software 9.12.1031.
•Installs HD Audio v1.3.23.1
•Includes support for applications built using CUDA 5 or earlier version of the CUDA Toolkit. More information at http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit
•Supports OpenGL 4.3 for GeForce 400-series and later GPUs.
•Supports DisplayPort 1.2 for GeForce GTX 600 series GPUs.
•Supports multiple languages and APIs for GPU computing: CUDA C, CUDA C++, CUDA Fortran, OpenCL, DirectCompute, and Microsoft C++ AMP.
•Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11, and OpenGL, including 3-way SLI, Quad SLI, and SLI support on SLI-certified Intel and AMD motherboards.

With my system below, my min FPS went up over 10 fps and my average also went up 10 + fps in Tomb Raider @ Ultimate settings + TressFX.

Last edited:
Good to see that Nvidia is addressing the issue, I'll give these a whirl tonight and share my results.

Drivers are excellent for tomb raider. These are my results and settings using the system in my sig, SMAA injector and a fps cap of 30 @ 1920x1080:

tombraiderf.jpg

Without using a fps cap my minimum was 26 and is now 32 and my max was 38 and is now 48.

Last edited:
Nice, I've been waiting for fixes before finishing the last 10% of the game.

Works pretty good. No crashes after about an hour of gaming. TressFX crushed my FPS when I went to aim using the bow, though.

Ultimate Setting with TressFX and High Precision off. 2560*1440, PC Specs in sig.

...DisplayPort 1.2, which was approved at the tail end of 2009, wasn't supported until now?

Is anybody using Windows 8? Those that do, do you get the black screen/flickering/not booting problem after installing a new driver?

BTW, this is in combination with a patch that was also released today. We have our main Tomb Raider article done, and a follow-up in the works to show the new driver performance.

how does this new driver affect other games?...better all around driver then the last beta or WHQL?

Is anybody using Windows 8? Those that do, do you get the black screen/flickering/not booting problem after installing a new driver?

Sometimes my screen doesn't come back i.e. black screen for up to a minute after installing the driver. If you wait long enough, it usually will come back.

Sometimes my screen doesn't come back i.e. black screen for up to a minute after installing the driver. If you wait long enough, it usually will come back.

It's the booting after the driver installation that my PC just becomes unusable. The screen would act like it's coming on, then goes to Power Saving Mode (LED turns yellow). It would just repeat this process forever. I either have to reinstalling Windows 8 or if I made an image of it, to re-image my HD to get Windows 8 back. There are tons of reports about this problem all over the internet.

BTW, this is in combination with a patch that was also released today. We have our main Tomb Raider article done, and a follow-up in the works to show the new driver performance.

Looking forward to this. I haven't finished the game yet, but from what I've played so far, Shanty Town is very taxing on cpu/gpu, so I'm hoping this level is benchmarked, unless, of course, there is a more demanding part of the game.

It's the booting after the driver installation that my PC just becomes unusable. The screen would act like it's coming on, then goes to Power Saving Mode (LED turns yellow). It would just repeat this process forever. I either have to reinstalling Windows 8 or if I made an image of it, to re-image my HD to get Windows 8 back. There are tons of reports about this problem all over the internet.

That's exactly why I went back to windows 7 ... Completely pissed me off
Anyway looking forward to trying this game when I get home especially after new driver and patch.

Wow this driver did wonders for TR. I'm getting 10 to 20 fps more compared to before on ultimate setting. Gameplay is alot smoother. I think the GPU is working alot harder cause temps rose from 62 max to 65C. With that built-in benchmark (yeah I know its not indicative of gameplay) before I got 39 fps avg on ultimate. Now I get 58fps avg. Thanks Nvidia...

Have you tried the latest driver on this thread yet? I haven't...I'm scared to.

Here is one of the links to the problem:

https://forums./default/topic/528207/windows-8-won-39-t-boot-after-310-90-update/

I'm on w7 again, what happened with me is I was on w8 with a 7970 and I got everything working nicely and I got a gtx 680, uninstalled 7970 driver, pulled card, shut down put in 680, booted and installed nvidia drivers and all was well until the next day when the newest beta dropped and I never saw my screen in windows 8 EVER AGAIN. So I wiped and went back to 7 lol. Been keeping an eye on this issue, SORRY FOR OFF TOPIC.

Downloading game and driver as we speak, BTW that link is bad it seems.

Here's the weirdest part: I tried installing this driver version and it worked (didn't give me the black screen), but it disabled my slave video card (slave SLI) and it kicked my fan into 100% as soon as I got into Windows. I've fooled around to Enable the slave video to no available. Under Device Manager, it puts an ! next to the slave video card, it said something about an error code. Under NVidia Control Panel and EVGA Precision X, they only saw one card, the master. I Rolled Back my driver and it's back to normal. What a weird thing!

I wonder what happened. Anyone out there experience the same problem?

Are your cards reference? I had a non reference card once that did all sorts of weird things with NV reference drivers....

Are your cards reference? I had a non reference card once that did all sorts of weird things with NV reference drivers....

No, both of my cards aren't based on the reference card at all. First is an MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC Twin Frozr. The second card is a Gigabyte GV-N660OC-2GD. Both are factory OCed to the same speed.

Interesting, I've seen issues with reference drivers on non reference cards a couple of times now - Two of those cards were my own, two were in a friends machine.

It's the reason I steer clear of non reference cards these days.

What happens if you swap the cards top to bottom and try to install the drivers? Does the problem shift or does the same slot continue to exhibit the fault?

Well at least this driver and the new patch fixed the crashing issues, I can play the game almost flawlessly except I'm getting some slow downs in the game where the FPS goes down less than 5 which is annoying, happens when I zoom in with a weapon.

I'm getting an average of 40 FPS with everything maxed out, Tessellation, SSAO, TressFX and SLI enabled at 1440p, is that normal?

TressFX causes a huge performance hit as the camera closes in to lara's head. This is due to the fact that shadows are then created for each hair strand on her face, among other things.

These drivers definitly helped my nVidia machine, however I still find my Radeon 7930 running it a little better. But like I said, this driver provides a huge improvement on the GTX670.

So far, so good with these drivers and TITAN for me. Had 314.14 prior. I've played ARMA 3 and BF3 thus far.

At least this driver stopped Crysis 3 from crashing as well, which I'm quite pleased about it and I look forward to more optimizations and performance increases.

so these are pretty much the same drivers as 314.14 with Tomb Raider optimizations added?

Will you be including the latest AMD beta driver released on 3/15 as well? Should be an interesting comparison

do this drivers fix the crashing with tesselation or do we still have to turn it off to stop crashing?

Played a bit this morning with all setting max/ultimate using fxaa and my SIG rig @ 4.3 and 1200 core is perfectly fluid and playable 44fps min in bench with tressX and everything maxed including shadows with fxaa. Quite pleased with IQ and perf and the game itself.

do this drivers fix the crashing with tesselation or do we still have to turn it off to stop crashing?

For me it is not crashing - so far so good. Performance increase is quite noticeable as well. (680 lightning's in SLI)

why cant you use tressX am I using it without issue on a 680

Been wanting to play this game since it came out but then heard about all of the issues. I just installed these drivers on my sig rig. Do you or anyone else think it's ok to go with this game now and to be able to expect pretty high settings and enjoy the game on nVidia hardware like me sig rig? Thanks!

Yes, , hell I've been enjoying it at all high settings except for Tressfx off and Depth of field to normal instead of ultra, and i pull 60fps solid, and that is with the older 310 drivers.

Back