nvidia 3080 and 3090 cooler dumping heat directly onto cpu air cooler

Hurin

2[H]4U
Hi All,

Just finished watching the (paper) release video for nvidia ampere 3080 and 3090 video cards. One of the fans on the card grabs air from in front of the card, passes it through, and dumps it out the back of the card. . . directly into the CPU's space.

For those of us who have gone back to air cooling (or never left), in my case I'm using Noctua DH-D15 lately, this is going to dump a lot of heat directly onto our heatsinks.

Thoughts? Part of me thinks this is jumping at shadows and that adequate case flow will suffice. . . my heatsink never actually feels warm to the touch anyways. But it would be great it someone tested this. Maybe blow a hair dryer across it for a few minutes or something? :p

Basically the same way normal axial fan cards work. Only cards that didn't blow air onto the CPU area were blowers (sort of, since many blowers still exhausted some air into the case) and AIO. Blowers were shown to basically be of no meaningful benefit to CPU temps over axial fans (outside of the very, very specific situation of "console" style cases that move the GPU to lay flat using a riser) and AIO are in their own class.

EDIT: direct pass through air has also been done since at least the Sapphire R9 Fury X from 2015, and nobody even bothered to ask about CPU temps in any of the reddit threads and reviews I found on it. My best guess: same as other axials, a non issue outside of extreme circumstances or someone trying to hotbox their case.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9421/the-amd-radeon-r9-fury-review-feat-sapphire-asus/2

Last edited:
Basically the same way normal axial fan cards work. Only cards that didn't blow air onto the CPU area were blowers (sort of, since many blowers still exhausted some air into the case) and AIO. Blowers were shown to basically be of no meaningful benefit to CPU temps over axial fans (outside of the very, very specific situation of "console" style cases that move the GPU to lay flat using a riser) and AIO are in their own class.

EDIT: direct pass through air has also been done since at least the Sapphire R9 Fury X from 2015, and nobody even bothered to ask about CPU temps in any of the reddit threads and reviews I found on it. My best guess: same as other axials, a non issue outside of extreme circumstances or someone trying to hotbox their case.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9421/the-amd-radeon-r9-fury-review-feat-sapphire-asus/2
I hope you're right. . . but I wasn't aware of a prior video coolers dumping channeled, heated air directly into the intake area of cpu tower coolers prior. But, then again, I'm not as into this stuff as I used to be. :)

I don't see it being a big difference. The axial fan designs still blasted heat toward the case wall and motherboard, and in a traditional in-the-front then out-the-back case fan setup, that still heats up the air moving through a CPU tower.

What is interesting is that this is a hybrid solution where at least some of the hot air will be exhausted through the back vents of the card, rather than inside the case (so, similar to a blower card).

I don't know what percentage of the heat will be exhausted inside the case, but I think there's a decent chance that it will be similar (hopefully lower!) compared to what current, non blower cards are doing. Potentially, a win-win cooling solution. Potentially. So where are the reviews now? :(

Last edited:
rtx-airflow_1.jpg

Just a quick follow-up. A video by Jayz Two Cents, without fully testing, just stated that the amount of air and the temperature of that air coming through is not going to matter. He said it was "warmish" but not hot and is coming out at such a velocity that it will just be absorbed by the ambient air (he could not feel it more than an inch away from the card, or something like that). Finally, he made a good point when he said: "If I had a choice between slightly warm air and no air being pushed onto my RAM, I'd take the slightly warm air!"

I have an OG x34 like OP has in his sig rig.
I can also push my 9700kf to 5.2ghz static with a u14s.
None if that matters bc saturating 3440x1440 @100hz isn’t going to be an issue unless playing a game like Control or MSFS 2020 that frankly have some issues.
Thermal throttling wouldn’t be a problem unless he’s using whacked out high auto mobo OC in an air starved case.

Back