Nvidia 3060? When? What specs?

x509

2[H]4U
What's the latest on announcement date? Features and specs, from reliable sources?

Since I'm not a gamer, but a Lightroom and Photoshop user, even a 3070 may be overkill for me.

They need 3060 to drive 2 paths vs 1060 just leveling Fortnite/Minecraft/Robles/cod for kids and noobs.
Acceptable rtx + dlss performance would be a boon for kids whose tastes and desires are shaped by influencers rather than raw framerate.

They need 3060 to drive 2 paths vs 1060 just leveling Fortnite/Minecraft/Robles/cod for kids and noobs.
Acceptable rtx + dlss performance would be a boon for kids whose tastes and desires are shaped by influencers rather than raw framerate.
Sounds good. Anyone have the scoop on the actual launch date? Supposed to be in November.

Performance hit from DLSS should be minimal, with the improvements to how the tensor cores can interact with the pipeline and implement DLSS. RTX 2060 was something like a 4ms or 5ms hit, with DLSS. The improved tensor cores should hopefully mean 1-2ms for any of the Ampere cards. But, testing could reveal otherwise.

However, RTX performance will be minimal. The 3070 already is only on par with a 2080ti in RTX performance. So that means, 1080p max res, for maybe 60fps when using heavier implementations of RTX without DLSS. For a 3060, DLSS will be required to hit 60fps with the heavier RTX effects, in most games. There are a few exceptions.

Performance hit from DLSS should be minimal, with the improvements to how the tensor cores can interact with the pipeline and implement DLSS. RTX 2060 was something like a 4ms or 5ms hit, with DLSS. The improved tensor cores should hopefully mean 1-2ms for any of the Ampere cards. But, testing could reveal otherwise.

However, RTX performance will be minimal. The 3070 already is only on par with a 2080ti in RTX performance. So that means, 1080p max res, for maybe 60fps when using heavier implementations of RTX without DLSS. For a 3060, DLSS will be required to hit 60fps with the heavier RTX effects, in most games. There are a few exceptions.

Just got back from my buddy’s house.
His 12yo and 10yo sons are zombies in front of their gaming PCs.
Gaming panel pegged, 2nd monitor up for chat/discord/twitch/youtube
Those kids are driving simultaneous workload on gpu feature hype, like many kids.
It’s not even to make $, just to share/brag to their buddies

We see our performance in a way this up and coming gen of pc gamers sees differently.
What they do while gaming is so much different than our singularly focused play sessions.

Outside of gaming, what kinds of applications would use ray tracing? Me, I'm not a gamer, but I'm heavy into Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.

Outside of gaming, what kinds of applications would use ray tracing? Me, I'm not a gamer, but I'm heavy into Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.
I don't personally know about what ray tracing can be used for with an RTX card, outside of gaming. However, Nvidia did recently release RTX broadcast. It uses AI based technology on the tensor cores, to remove noise from your outgoing mic signal, from incoming sound sources, and to do a pretty solid background replacement/green screen effect, for your webcam. But without a green screen.

Its a free program. I recently used the background replacement, for a Job interview on Zoom.

Last edited:
Raytracing is used since the 80s in non real time rendering, what special and new is to see it in gaming (and not in a original Wolf3d type).

It is not always made to take advantage of the GPU special capability too.

Adobe was doing something with RayTracing in Adobe Dimension, not sure how well and how much was made in that direction.

If you ever get to 3d modeling (Blender and so on), it is massively use.

Reactions: x509
like this
How much memory do you guys think a 3060 will have?

I'm hoping for 10GB or 12GB, but I know that's probably not going to happen since nVidia only gave a paltry 8GB with the 3070.

My guess: the 3070 and 3080 regular cards will soon be discontinued, with very few supplies.
3070 Ti or Super and 3080 Ti or Super will be released with increased memory.
12GB 3070 Ti for $560
16GB 3080 Ti for $830

Then, they could release a 10GB or 12GB 3060 around $400-450.
and a 8GB 3050 for $300

Back