NVIDIA 3000-series Resizable BAR support is out.

Rizen

[H]F Junkie
Resizable BAR support is out today for FE cards and a number of other vendors.

FE card firmware update tool is here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5165

VBIOS Update by Vendors:
You will also need to update your motherboard BIOS and go into the BIOS and enable Resizable BAR, if you have not done so already.

You also need the latest drivers, available here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/driver...&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-VAp5fczebSQL3GpFJhQKPw

I updated my 3090 FE, installed the drivers, and it's enabled and working:

1617117940353.png

Any idea if Ethereum mining hashrate is effected? My tinfoil hat told me this is how they planned on trying to slip mining prevention into existing cards.

Any idea if Ethereum mining hashrate is effected? My tinfoil hat told me this is how they planned on trying to slip mining prevention into existing cards.
Why should Nvidia do that. It would be pissing into the well of their best customers.

I'm going to give this a few weeks before touching my stupid expensive GPU.
BAR Support has been live on the 3060 since release. The process is always going to have some element of risk, given you have to flash the BIOS, but the update on my card took about 5 seconds total. The utility does everything for you, it's a single key stroke to flash the BIOS.

BAR Support has been live on the 3060 since release. The process is always going to have some element of risk, given you have to flash the BIOS, but the update on my card took about 5 seconds total. The utility does everything for you, it's a single key stroke to flash the BIOS.
I'm sure, however there is still risk involved. Given that performance of my 3090 could hardly be more impressive than it already is, i'm in no hurry and I'd like to wait and see what (if any!) problems arise in a week or two of people using this.

Thank you for being a guinea pig.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I installed the vBIOS and installed the latest nVidia driver, but it still says BAR support is not enabled. I looked in the motherboard BIOS for it and couldn't find anything.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I installed the vBIOS and installed the latest nVidia driver, but it still says BAR support is not enabled. I looked in the motherboard BIOS for it and couldn't find anything.
Has your motherboard been updated to a BIOS that supports it?

Has your motherboard been updated to a BIOS that supports it?
Yeah, it was added several iterations ago, and I just updated to the latest BIOS and still says disabled, though I am not sure if there's a setting somewhere in the BIOS that I am missing.

Yeah, it was added several iterations ago, and I just updated to the latest BIOS and still says disabled, though I am not sure if there's a setting somewhere in the BIOS that I am missing.
Check these two settings and make sure they are enabled:

1617121734122.png

FYI for EVGA cards: There's a Re-BAR tab in PrecisionX1 where you need to update your card's BIOS.

When I installed the new PX1, it updated firmware automatically when launching PX1, or something(?), then I installed the new GPU driver. No ReBAR. Found a post on EVGA's forum showing that Re-BAR tab in PX1 that I ignored and updated again from there, problem solved. Gigabyte Z390 Aorus motherboard with F12l BIOS.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Why should Nvidia do that. It would be pissing into the well of their best customers.
To get them to buy an underperforming mining specific card lineup that no-one has any interest in. I'm not saying it's likely, but given the pieces of info we have it's possible.

FYI for EVGA cards: There's a Re-BAR tab in PrecisionX1 where you need to update your card's BIOS.

When I installed the new PX1, it update firmware, or something, then I installed the new GPU driver. No ReBAR. Found a post on EVGA's forum showing that Re-BAR tab and updated again from there, problem solved. Gigabyte Z390 Aorus motherboard with F12l BIOS.
Thank you. It is working now.

When I installed the new PX1, it updated firmware automatically when launching PX1, or something(?), then I installed the new GPU driver. No ReBAR. Found a post on EVGA's forum showing that Re-BAR tab in PX1 that I ignored and updated again from there, problem solved. Gigabyte Z390 Aorus motherboard with F12l BIOS.

Edited for clarity.
The firmware update is not the same thing as the vbios update. When you first started PX1 it updated firmware (MCU) which controls RGB and fan profiles. The resize tab updates the vbios. They are two different things and aren't explained very well within PX1.

The firmware update is not the same thing as the vbios update. When you first started PX1 it updated firmware (MCU) which controls RGB and fan profiles. The resize tab updates the vbios. They are two different things and aren't explained very well within PX1.
LOL. Not much is explained well in PX1. This 3090 is my first EVGA card, I tried PX1 and dumped it quickly; went back to MSI Afterburner. I only keep PX1 around for the firmware/vBIOS updates.

It'll be interesting to see some benchmarks for this stuff. Death Stranding, while it already runs great, seems to be running even better, but my CPU (i7-9700K) was slammed; I've not payed attention to CPU usage for DS in the past and could certainly disable RBAR and compare (too lazy), but I don't remember my CPU being slammed like that for anything when I've checked. Regardless, the CPU didn't get over 52C (Kraken x62 in silent mode), so whatever it was doing wasn't really demanding. DS did temporarily lock up while on a zip line (no other issues in 75 hours), but the loading animation showed in the bottom-right corner and the game continued within 5 seconds of that lock-up. Weird.

Per the description on NVIDIA's page, I assume the CPU will get busier as a result of having RBAR enabled.

Same here, only played MSFS and didn't notice too much of a difference. But no issues have come up because of it.

MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC + Ryzen 5800x + EVGA 3090 XC3 + Precision X1 -> Rebar enabled :)

That was rather easy, Precision X1 has a tab at top for Rebar which then walks you through everything you need to have Rebar working. Firmware, VBios, Driver . . .

EVGArebar.png
Now I hope EVGA snuck in some higher power limits in the bios for this card as a nice gift.

so i just tried this and after updating through precision i had to reboot. Then my bios failed to load its previously working memory setting ..... now it won't do what it did before even after reset reload of my previous profile :( why did i do this

no change in my hashrate on EVGA 3080 FTW3
What I am wondering is if this is gonna speed up any of the distributed computing work i do.... wasn't this an enterprise feature before it became a gaming thing?

so i just tried this and after updating through precision i had to reboot. Then my bios failed to load its previously working memory setting ..... now it won't do what it did before even after reset reload of my previous profile :( why did i do this
Your system memory settings or your video memory settings?

Your system memory settings or your video memory settings?
system memory. I had been running 3800 mhz and 1900 FCLK and it was stable for days at 100% load, no issues rebooting etc. After applying this update and restarting it shit the bed instantly
I noticed the version of my bios was F33e which was no longer even on the board list and was F33g now... updated that and then went to 3600 / 1800 with "fast" timing from ryzen calc and I am running again ok. Will work on getting my 3800 back again. I tried a basic test with it and it failed to lock it in but I didn't spend that long on it so i will try later. kind of seem unrelated in a way but maybe something in the "direct access" of the memory started working my infinity fabric in a different way? idk

system memory. I had been running 3800 mhz and 1900 FCLK and it was stable for days at 100% load, no issues rebooting etc. After applying this update and restarting it shit the bed instantly
I noticed the version of my bios was F33e which was no longer even on the board list and was F33g now... updated that and then went to 3600 / 1800 with "fast" timing from ryzen calc and I am running again ok. Will work on getting my 3800 back again. I tried a basic test with it and it failed to lock it in but I didn't spend that long on it so i will try later. kind of seem unrelated in a way but maybe something in the "direct access" of the memory started working my infinity fabric in a different way? idk
That's odd. My personal system is stable at 3800MHz / 1900 FCLK as well, both before and after the release. Have you tried slightly bumping voltages to the SOC?

Hey thanks for the update! I was wondering when this would be coming out. Appreciate the heads up!

Reactions: Rizen
like this
That's odd. My personal system is stable at 3800MHz / 1900 FCLK as well, both before and after the release. Have you tried slightly bumping voltages to the SOC?
Not yet! I was locked to 1.1 SOC voltage before so not sure if i want to push that higher but I certainly plan to get my previous clocks back as both my ram and cpu seemed to handle it fine

Not yet! I was locked to 1.1 SOC voltage before so not sure if i want to push that higher but I certainly plan to get my previous clocks back as both my ram and cpu seemed to handle it fine
These are my voltages for 24x7 use FWIW.

Attachments

• 1617159847805.png
    1617159847805.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
Rebar support enabled did the update; nothing went wrong here. Still got 3866 on my ram/infinity fabric and 5900x.

I'm on an ASRock X370 SLI Killer/AC motherboard. Ryzen 3700X. I have an EVGA RTX 3070.

Looks like I can't take advantage of this Resizable BAR update?

Code 43 is supposedly gone without hiding KVM/Hyper V, going to test that later.

I have a 3090 FE / ASUS Maximus XII Hero motherboard with a 10900k and now have resizable BAR now working.

Updating FE bios was easy and took two seconds (just had to update to latest graphic drivers). Updating the MB - ughhhhh, that took forever with ASUS built-in flash utility (it also reset my lighting - I removed aura after setting the lights to where I wanted them because the Armored Cache software is trash). After waiting an eternity for multiple reboots, the new MB bios was onboard, and I had to go in and enable the new settings and re-input all my settings.

To test the performance, I threw up CoD Black Ops Cold War to see if there was any noticeable difference. There wasn’t - positive or negative. Frame rates seemed exactly the same. I’ll have to see if there’s improvements in other games.

I have a 3090 FE / ASUS Maximus XII Hero motherboard with a 10900k and now have resizable BAR now working.

Updating FE bios was easy and took two seconds (just had to update to latest graphic drivers). Updating the MB - ughhhhh, that took forever with ASUS built-in flash utility (it also reset my lighting - I removed aura after setting the lights to where I wanted them because the Armored Cache software is trash). After waiting an eternity for multiple reboots, the new MB bios was onboard, and I had to go in and enable the new settings and re-input all my settings.

To test the performance, I threw up CoD Black Ops Cold War to see if there was any noticeable difference. There wasn’t - positive or negative. Frame rates seemed exactly the same. I’ll have to see if there’s improvements in other games.

Only the following games are supported for now.

GeForce RTX 30 Series Resizable BAR Supported Games
As of March 30th, 2021​
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Battlefield V
Borderlands 3
Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Death Stranding
DIRT 5
F1 2020
Forza Horizon 4
Gears 5
Godfall
Hitman 2
Hitman 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Metro Exodus
Red Dead Redemption 2
Watch Dogs Legion

so the only way to update my EVGA 3080 is by using the Precision software?

still no BIOS update for my MSI X570 Tomahawk...

so the only way to update my EVGA 3080 is by using the Precision software?

still no BIOS update for my MSI X570 Tomahawk...
Only way I know of. I don't like the software. Just installed it, updated vbios, checked to make sure it was enabled, uninstall.

Back